Menu

Those homeschooling 3 or more kids, what's your "system"? I need suggestions!

Right now I kind of fly by the seat of my pants in terms of what we do every day. I do the essentials in general (3 R's) and then beyond that I just pick and choose what we will do. I have had a horrific time trying to organize what we do and when we do it and how to know what and when to do it.

Here's why:

I'm homeschooling 3 kids (and have a 3 yo and 1 yo).

Some subjects (e.g. Faith & Life lessons online) the 2 oldest boys do together. It makes sense to do it together since they're doing the same level. But then I have to coordinate it so they are both ready to do that at the same time... so one has to wait around for the other or "waste time" until the other is ready, etc.

Some subjects the boys do apart, independently (e.g. math). They are on different levels and need minimal teaching from me. Next year we are switching to Teaching Textbooks so they will need even less math instruction from me.

Some subjects the boys need to do together, WITH mommy (e.g. All About Spelling.. they are on the same level and I do the lessons with them).

Some subjects (i.e. art, history, music) can be done as a whole group... older boys, mom, and kindergartner sister and all.

I think it would be easier for me to figure out my system if all of our school work was independent, or all of it was with mommy, or all of it was together on the computer, or whatever. But I have a combination of all 3. And I don't feel like it's a problem with the programs, so much as I have a problem figuring out how to let everyone know what they are doing, how to keep everyone on task.... basically, how to organize my school day / week.

I'm just drawing a blank here. I don't know exactly what question to ask, but I need some major help if anyone would like to do a tired mom a good deed and help me figure this out!

Here's what we're doing next year:

Fourth Grader (9)-

Teaching Textbooks 4

Sonlight reader package 3 (read independently)

Science read alouds with mom

All About Spelling with mom

Evan Moor Grammar workbook (mom might need to explain a little and then do worksheet)

Connecting With History

Third Grader (8)-

Teaching Textbooks 3

Sonlight reader package 3 (read independently)

Science read alouds with mom

All About Spelling with mom

Evan Moor Grammar workbook (mom might need to explain a little and then do worksheet)

Connecting With History

Kindergarten (5)- (mom will probably need to be hovering around for all of this to help correct mistakes, read instructions, etc)

Reading to mommy

Handwriting sheets

MCP Math workbook

Explode the Code

possible MCP Plaid phonics workbook

everything else is as a group.

Sooooo... do I teach the boys & THEN my kindergartener later? Do you somehow have all the kids "doing school" at the same time? I have been trying to keep them all busy and doing the "next thing" for each of them.. and help them when I need to... and I'm going crazy.

I tried a "binder system" to keep the boys accountable and help them move to the next thing, but that didn't really happen, mostly because I didn't nag them to keep looking at it. And if I have to nag, what's the point?

Ugh. Maybe I need something on the wall so it's very visible and they won't need to many reminders? But I don't even know what to put on it. Is there an obvious order to do this stuff that I'm not seeing?

I can't even figure out how to have my 8 & 9 yo work through the same Sonlight readers in order at the same time. Should I just buy another set? Dh will kill me.

:svengo:

I have even been contemplating doing school with all 3 of them TOTALLY separately... which I've never done. But I have a 3 yo and a 1 yo so I can't take ALL day with school.

Does anyone do school with 1 kid per day and rotate kids? I don't know if getting a week's worth done in 2 days per week would be just as insane as what I'm doing now. oy.

All I know is I need to quell the chaos and I need order.

Please help out of the kindness of your organized heart. :)

I am currently teaching two but the third one always "want to do homeschool." So essentially, I have three at the same time.

This is my first year and I tried what you mentioned - getting all to be working at the same time. I constantly ended up being frustrated especially when all three were whining at the same time.

This past week, my oldest suggested something different and we tried it. It worked so much better.

I started with my K'er and spent an hour with him on math and reading program. In the mean time, my 2nd grader is reading/playing with my youngest.

When k'er is done, I focused on my 2nd grader and spent the rest of the time with her. There isn't all three working at the same time now. I am not as frustrated.

If you are wondering what i am doing with my 3yo, well, she basically does coloring, tracing letters and all that.. still occasionally she would say "mommy, I need help." So when I let all three work at the same time, there were times when all three were saying that at the same time.

I don't think if someone is not doing any "work" at any time, that is wasting time. You can let that one go on a break or do some of the independent read.

Hope this helps.

:bigear:

We're not yet hsing three...but will be soon. And then soon after that, we'll be hsing four.

Right now, I do a half hour of a subject with one, then a half hour of the same subject with the second kiddo, then a half hour of a different subject with the first kiddo, then a half hour of that subject with the second kiddo. Then we break for lunch, the littles go to bed and we do the same rotation in the afternoon.

We accomplish math, spelling, phonics/reading, and handwriting in this manner. I have no idea how I'm going to fit everybody in, when the time comes to start schooling the Littles. And I'm still trying to figure out how I'm going to fit in SS and Science.

I did try the method you mentioned, of alternating kids per day, and for awhile that worked alright. But as the Bigs grew older and needed more in the way of "schooling," that method fell by the wayside. Plus...if I had a busy week with appointments and whatnot, one kid would miss school while the others didn't.

I'm teaching three. I have found workboxes are my friend! The organization they give is truly wonderful.

Our general approach is that we have some subjects we do together (history, read-alouds, Bible...) and some they do individually (math, handwriting...). I don't care when during the day they do their individual work, as long as it gets done. I have two who like to get it done in the morning first thing, and my third is a night owl who, often as not, is doing her work in the evenings. As long as it gets done, I don't nag.

I only have 3 kiddos, but I've felt the pinch this year with my 1 year old getting into everything and wanting attention and my 4 year old needing some "learning time" attention as well.

The best I've been able to do is to give my younger ones attention in the morning first. Usually after dress/breakfast I'll round up my 4 year old and he'll work some pages in ETC, SM Essential K, or HWT (which he's finished). If I sit with him and "fill his cup" then he's much more likely to entertain himself a bit. My dd is tricky, usually i just keep feeding her and pulling out the interesting toys. :lol:

I have a little card table just their size that we pull out in the morning and they love to sit there together doing different things. Playdoh, puzzles, legos, coloring, potato heads, blocks,lacing cards, attribute blocks etc. It's really worth the time to sit down and make some interesting busy activities for the little ones. I keep a set of drawers in one corner of my living room that is just bursting with activities in different ziploc bags. They can dig around and keep busy. Expect lots of interruptions of "look at this" or help with tricky things.

It is usually close to 40 minutes until my 4 year old is done with any work at the table with me he wants to do. My oldest then does his math, spelling etc. ---anything that has a particular book attached we try to get done in the morning. I multi-task too! I've been known to read off his spelling words while I load the dishwasher. Some things I just clarify any directions and let him at it. I usually try to keep attention on my 1 year old periodically. By mid-morning I start more concept type subjects.

I read aloud while my dd naps. 1 or 2 books for my 4 year old and then a story or a couple chapters for my older ds. Sometimes he reads aloud to us instead. My older ds will usually work on WWE during my dd's nap too or at least after lunch. I do history 3 times a week and science twice a week. They all do that together. My 4 yera old participates in any SOTW project in any way he wants. He always wants the coloring pages, so at least those are getting used because my ds could care less. :lol: They usually color while I read the chapter. Keeps them from interrupting a bit. And they sometimes even learn something.

My younger ds also did all of the science with my older ds this year too. I didn't require him too, but I did offer. He liked being a part of it all and even had really good insights.

My dd did it too where she could. The afternoon we made marshmallow molecules---yeah that was fun. :lol:

All three of them have mummified barbies.

Organization. I keep what I want my oldest to do each morning in a workbox system. I don't want to do it daily so I have it planned weekly. He can just pull out the books and he knows that if it's in there we're doing it. He also knows that afternoons after sister's nap will be science/history/art. The order is somewhat up to him but I do share my thoughts about it. "I need to help you with this,or I have something I want to show you about that, but I need to deal with this diaper so while you're waiting can you do this?" He's usually understanding.

I have a lot planned for my 4 (5 this summer) year old next year---I think I'm going to stay with having them do things all together. Honestly even though there's a big difference between a 5,,2 and 9 year old it seems to help to let them all work together doing what they can.

I don't know anything about Sonlight readers---but can one read to you in the morning and one read in the afternoon?

I think if you take the time to really give the three younger ones attention first and then keep things accessible to keep them busy then your two older ones can work on their three r's and have everyone all the way down to the 1 year old doing everything else all together.

I can't address your main question but I can discuss the SL readers part. Are you doing B now and C next year. If so, you can change the order of the readers in cores below D. The order doesn't matter at all. I let me ds pick which book he wants to read next.

Once you get to Core D, it gets trickier but many SL'ers have the better reader doing the advanced readers. The advanced readers are interspersed among the regular readers so they shouldn't reading the same book most of the time. If they need to be reading the same book, you could just pick different times of the day for each to read it. I would not buy another set.

As for your main question... :bigear: I just added my second student this year and it took me 3/4 of it to get into the scheduling groove especially with a 3yo and baby running around. I don't know how it's going to work when my current 3yo starts Kindy and I have a different 3yo left to his own devices. I'm already looking for some writing and vocab that my oldest can work on independently while I work one-on-one with my 6yo next year.

I hs 2, and a 4 yr old preschooler. Grades are 1st and 3rd.

First w/the preschooler:

He is pretty independent, but I keep him occupied, encourage him, and make him a real part of our school. He does Reading Eggs, ABC Mouse, and PBSKids online some of the time. I also use DLTK to print out cut & paste activities, easy color-by-numbers, coloring pages, and other age appropriate crafts and activities that he can do about 70 - 90% w/o my help. He also just started letter tracing (only b/c he reeeeeally wants to do the handwriting).

Now, here is my schedule for the school day:

7 - 7:50 Math (mon-fri)

8 - 8:45 Specials (Art, Music, PE, Games (educational board games) and a kid's pick day.

8:50 - 9:40 SOTW (mon, wed, fri) Social Studies (tues/thurs)

9:45 - 10:05 Snack

10:10-11:00 Language Arts

11:10-noon Science

noon - 1 Lunch

1:00 - 1:45 Latin (tues/thurs), Religion & Faith (mon/wed/fri)

For Math they each have a daily word problem or critical thinking sheet. I explain concept to one while the other does his daily work and/or leftover work from the day before. After concept is practice sheet (we are using horizons math). Then I switch up.

SOTW, Specials, Science, Latin, Religion & Faith is all the same for them. I do not buy test books, I make all my own so that I can create tests that are level appropriate. Book work and worksheets may also be different depending on the subject. I use a lot from SuperTeachWorksheets and Enchanted Learning (both nominal fee sites).

Social Studies: 3rd grader is doing gov't/civics. I teach, lots of reading/discussion, etc. 1st grader is doing state work. We begin w/a brief, simplified discussion of the Rev war, statehood, and then we do a state each week based on when they were admitted to the union. First 13 states in 1st grade, then 2nd grade we will continue and finish up. Anyway, he does: flag coloring page, state outline dot to dot, outline cut out/star & label capital, write state name, abbrev, and capital, color something significant to that state, color the state in a state map printout, write his city/state/country...I think that is all. Then Thurs he reviews and colors each state a different color on a state map that we have done so far, and does some work in his Which Way USA books. It is all fairly independent, so I have a good working time w/the 3rd grader.

Language Arts is a little trickier. WE are using LLAL. The 3rd grade book is moderately independent, the 1st grade not so much. Luckily, my 3rd grader is an excellent, above ave reader and is good at grammar and spelling, so that frees me up most of the class for the 1st grader. Oh, and they each start off w/daily reading comprehension problem. They each have books at their desks, and if they have a problem and I am working w/the other child, they are free to read from a selection at their desk while waiting quietly.

Hope this helps!

I have 6 kids:

dd - age 11 - 6th grade

dd - age 9 - 3rd grade

ds - age 7 - 1st grade

dd - age 5 - K

dd - age 3 - trouble maker :)

ds - 9 months - teething (read "extremely fussy")

First, I will say that what works one year may not work the next, so I find myself having to change things a bit when needed. I've learned not to get (too) frustrated with myself that I don't have everything figured out yet even after so many years of homeschooling. The family changes as new little ones come along and the kids grow and change and their needs change, so I have to change how we do things at times. My point is that I can tell you how I do things, but it may not work for you. I'll try to speak in general terms about what has helped.

First, I have a schedule. I set alarms on my phone to let us know when to do different things on the schedule. This way I don't have to constantly look at the clock. We all do the same subject as the same time - well, at least the older three. In the evenings, I grade any work that needs to be graded and a I write an assignment sheet for each of the older three. I have a word file on my computer for each and they know how to look at it to find what they need to do for each subject and how to mark it complete. I also leave notes here for them to look at any corrections I made of previous work. They know that if they need me and I'm not available, then they can look at this list to find something they can do independently even if it's not "time" for it on the schedule. The Ker I work with whenever I can fit her in. I aim for about 10-15 min of phonics/reading with her twice a day. She can do handwriting sitting next to me even if I'm working with someone else. For math I'm just having her work on math facts. She has a work bag of facts written out and she clips clothespins on with the answers. So far she has +1 and +2. These are self-checking activities with the answers on the backs of the cards. Soon I'll add an "adding to 10" bag.

I do combine some of the kids where I can. We do catechism/Bible study and history (Connecting with History) together. The two older girls do science together. Next year my oldest dd will probably do her own science while the next two study science together.

Anything else? I don't know if you're interested in our exact schedule. I could share that if you want it. I hope some of this helps :). Be patient. You will learn what works for you and your family!

Angela

I can SO relate to where you're at. I've used Homeschool Tracker for several years to plan out our school year, and it has been a wonderful help to me. However, my biggest thrill about it being available online now is that each of my kids can log into their own account to see their schoolwork and mark it off when it's complete. It's a student mark, so it lets me know I need to check their work (when necessary). I love that they don't have to use MY computer, which is a big deal to me. It's definitely helping my kids to be more independent, which they are enjoying as well. You could also check out other planners that are similar, like Homeschool Skedtrack, Homeschool, Inc, and My Homeschool Plan. One of the biggest helps to me is to plan out the entire year, because I have found that during the busyness of the year, I won't get around to it.

I am not "officially" schooling 3, but here is my plan for next year. Do some everybody stuff in the mornings- Bible and phonics (abctheykey). If we don't go anywhere we'll do some more- art, geography/history, latin, logic. after rest time, set DD7 on independent work- etc, handwriting, and then educational computer games while I do 1 on 1 (or 2 on 2 lol) with DD4/5 and DD3- math, etc, hop, handwriting, logic. Then do any together stuff that didn't get done earlier. Then set DD4/5 and DD3 on computer games while I do 1 on 1 with DD7- math, grammar, spelling, writing, logic. Have no idea if this will actually work, but that is my plan. We have several games so they can rotate and not get bored of the same ones over and over and the younger DDs will not be required to stay on the comp the whole time I work with my older DD, they can go play. My youngest DD will still be young enough that I hope she won't be much of an issue (I do NOT hold that illusion for the next year when she will be a toddler. *sigh*).

:lurk5:

I'm currently doing 2, but one is just K and doesn't have much to do yet (we'll do Sonlight P4/5 this fall, but for now we're just doing math, phonics, handwriting if we get to it). What works for us seems to change DAILY. :tongue_smilie: For example, on occasion, I can get them all doing their math at the same time. My almost-3 year old will pull out DS2's old math books and doodle on them or count things. He thinks he's doing math. ;) I work with DS2 directly, and I've usually done a quick go-over of new material with DS1 so he can work independently on his workbook exercises. Sometimes, DS1 needs more involvement from me, so in that case, I have him work with DS3 (he's teaching him multiplication facts right now :lol:) while I work with DS2. Then I send DS2 and DS3 off to play while I work with DS1.

I'm also trying to move DS1 to some more independent work where it makes sense. Math, grammar, spelling can all have independent components right now, so I'll go over material if needed, then send him off to do his assignment.

I do read-alouds during meals. We do Bible during breakfast, followed by Sonlight Core D read-aloud. We do history reading later in the day, or DS1 sometimes reads it himself.

As far as Sonlight readers go, I think I'd just have them read at different times of day, and put two bookmarks in there if needed.

And have you seen this blog? Someone pointed it out to me earlier this week. This lady does multiple Sonlight cores at one time, though I think you combining your 8 and 9 year olds makes complete sense.

Also, I've heard a lot of people recommend working with youngest kid first, so they have had their "mommy time" and feel like they have "done school". I'd love to have all 3 kids working together on school the entire time, but reality is that my oldest has a much heftier workload than his younger brothers, probably until high school. So I have to have him work while the other two play, which is distracting, but oh well. I keep telling him I'm preparing him for working in a cubicle one day. :lol:

I have a 5th grader, 4th grader, 1st grader, Preschooler (the most demanding, somehow), and teething toddler. I LOVE that Se7en blog. Her blog convinced me to try out Sonlight and I'm loving it. I combine them all as much as possible and just adjust for ability levels. The oldest two were combined in most subjects until recently when they're abilities and interests have diverged. Next year they'll only be doing Sonlight Cores and family work (SSL, SSG, Art, etc.) together. So that will be crazy.

We do use workboxes. I'm not terribly strict about them, but I do expect certain things done in them every day-independently. Things like grammar practice, map work, memory work, math worksheets, and also I put in cards for time online with Mark Kistler, Teaching Textbooks, Rosetta Stone, or typing practice.

Things have started running much smoother since I started doing my work with the little girls first thing in the morning. As soon as I wander out of bed, we are doing ETC together on the kitchen counter (the girls wake up earlier than I do). Then I work with them independently and I move on to the big kids whenever time opens up. I do put a time limit on the little girls. When our time is up, they have to work on their workboxes, play outside together in the yard, or play in their rooms. Then I do our Sonlight read alouds and SL Science with the big kids (the littles usually listen in) and we move on to math, grammar, etc. Sometimes in the evenings I have to do more independent work with them and it's rare we get everything done, but it's better than before!

Guest cwalter

I have 3. This year we work in about 1/2 hour segments in the morning. I made a schedule and tried to get it so that each could do something independent while I work with the other two. I work with each for math, and some with grammar. Phonics with my first grader. My 4th grader needs me nearby to do his work, but can do most stuff once I explain it. 6th grader can do most on her own. In the morning the older two do: math, grammar, spelling, typing, writing prompt. 1st does phonics, math, earobics, spelling and copy work.

Afternoons we do as a group, two per day: science, art, history and music. We spend about an hour each on those.

If the kids do not finish their work in the allotted 1/2 hour in the morning, then they have "homework" and have to finish later in the day when we finish all other work. That way the others are not waiting for one to get done before we move on. If they finish all work early, then they can do what they want the rest of the morning or afternoon.

I can't type much, because I have a wiggly yet delicious 1yo boy on my lap. I also have a preschooler who gets upset with me if I skip HER lessons (phonics and gentle math introduction), a first grader, a third grader, and two middle school kids.

My "system" summed up in one sentence: Spend a few minutes kick-starting the ones who can work independently, then start at the youngest and work your way up. What that might look like is discussing the schedule and plans with my oldest two and getting them moving in the right direction, then playing with the toddler for awhile. When little guy is full and on his way I pull the preschooler up to the table and do a couple interactive lessons with her. When she's done I get the first grader starting on her mom-dependent lessons. I'll call the third grader when the first grader is either working independently at my elbow (like a math page) or the wiggles got the better of her. The third grader also starts with his mom-dependent lessons, and when he's working on his own or wiggles have the better of him, I check-in with the older two.

Thanks for all the replies so far!

:bigear:

So far I have gathered that it isn't insane of me to split up the kids more than I currently am and concentrate on less at one time. Not sure yet what I will do, but glad to know some do it that way.

I like the idea of paying attention to the littles first thing, although my oldest kids are up the earliest so that's why I usually start working with them first. But getting breakfast and clothes for 3 & 5 yo does interrupt school. Not sure what to do about that. Dh insists the the older boys get up and get ready for school first thing.

Also, I just watched a video on the homeschool tracker online and so far I'm thinking.... geeeeeeenius! I thought I looked into homeschool tracker before and for some reason was turned off (maybe I didn't get further than the price, if I was trying to be cheap!). But... wow, planning on the computer, being able to rearrange my plans, kids who can log in and check things off (they love using the computer)... and tracking hours of instruction?! I live in NY so this could really help me with record-keeping, let alone keeping us on track! Putting all the info in sounds tedious but I bet it is so worth it. Hmmmmmmm. I just might try the 1 month trial in the next few days.

Anyway, keep rolling with the ideas!

I am HSing 2 and lately I feel like its chaos. Im trying to get C to be independent and L wants my full attention. We were working the kitchen table, but they distract themselves too much, so I have separated them starting tomorrow. I am going to do workboxes again and im thinking that will help.

:bigear: for any other ideas.

I am currently homeschooling 5, and next year it will be 6 (K, 3rd, 4th, 7th, 8th, and 10th). I was thinking JUST TODAY how I never would have been able to last this long if it had not been for Managers of Their Homes by the Maxwells. People complain about it, but the key is to use it as a TOOL, not a dictator.

Our school days are relatively strict when it comes to our schedule, simply because if they aren't it's NUTSO, and we don't get done what we need to.

There have been times (maybe it was when I only had 3 in school??? I can't remember) where our schedule basically consisted of "school" during certain times of the day. Now we have to be quite strict - 30 minutes of reading/spelling with #4 here...45 minutes of history with #2 & #3 there...etc.

I also use Homeschool Tracker - I enter our schedule into the LP Schedules and print out an assignment sheet daily for the kids.

I only "school" my own two kids (5 and 6) but I watch my friend's 1 and 3 year olds three times a week so I can relate a little bit to the chaos.

Even though my kids are younger, they are close together in age like your older two, and I think this makes the together/separate thing a little messier. I agree that the HST has helped me immensely with this. I can generate the lesson plans at the beginning of the year and assign them as many time as needed. So I can assign the same math lessons to both kids every day, but assign different phonics lessons for each kid based on where they are. This has made it so much easier for me to keep track of "wait, which chapter are you on?" for each child. The reports in that system are SO useful, too. I print an assignment sheet every day for each child and staple it into a manila file folder that we use until it falls apart. (I also print on the backs so I don't feel so guilty about wasting paper.) Every night after the kids are in bed, I take 5-10 minutes to tidy up the spreadsheet, and print out the next day's assignment lists. This helps us all keep organized and it's easy for me to maintain this system. Now with the online thing! Holy moly, I cannot wait until my kids are old enough to print it themselves!

Another simple suggestion for those with younger ones- have at least two simple activities for each subject when you need to split them. For example, my kids do math together, but I like to split them for phonics and reading. So for phonics, I have an online component to our curriculum (Explode the Code) so one can be on the computer while the other one is doing the book. Then we swap. This allows me to give the one on the book my attention and to also actually judge their development individually. The switch allows me to get a good 30 minutes of phonics learning in with kids who've felt like they've only had to sit still at a task for 15 minutes. This change of pace is great for the short-attention span kids. And it gives kids a nice blend of independence and one-on-one time.

Hi, I'm teaching 4 kids...and this is our 4th year homeschooling. I'm teaching a 5th grader, 4th grader, 2nd grader and K-er.

Here are some things that work for our family:

Limit outside activities/co-ops/outside classes - this sounds awful, but we do so much better with homeschooling when we aren't rushing so we can get to something by 2pm.

Let the little ones play outside or take them for a walk early in the morning (not sure why this helps, but it always does for us).

Try to stay organized and come up with a system. Maybe you have science on Monday and Wednesday...History Tuesday and Thursday... I would come up with a schedule and post it on the wall of your school room. For the two youngest kids, I have a task list posted on our wall. It's basically what I want to get through with them on each day of the week.

Teach the younger ones first and send the older ones off with assignments during that time. I might be teaching the 2nd grader and I'll send the tweens off with their Lit reading for the day. I tell them to report back to me when they're finished. Sometimes, I'll even write out a syllabus of things they can do independently and have them work through the list together, checking things off when they are finished.

Another thing that works is my "kitchen island system". ;) I drag everything out that we need to complete for the day and organize it in stacks on the kitchen island. It helps me see where we're headed and I can grab stuff that can be done independently and hand it off to the older kids.

In our house, I *try* (doesn't always happen that way) to work with the K-er and 2nd grader first - individually. I spend about 30 minutes with the K-er and about 90 minutes with the 2nd grader. When they're finished, they usually run off and play together. The rest of the schoolday is spent working with the 5th grader and 4th grader, who are combined in almost everything (except math, foreign languages and english). They do physics together (they're lab partners :tongue_smilie:), history, literature, art history, logic and religion.

For the older kids, we always start with math, writing and they do their reading for the day. If something happens, at LEAST they did those 3 things.

Good luck!!

I am currently homeschooling 5, and next year it will be 6 (K, 3rd, 4th, 7th, 8th, and 10th). I was thinking JUST TODAY how I never would have been able to last this long if it had not been for Managers of Their Homes by the Maxwells. People complain about it, but the key is to use it as a TOOL, not a dictator.

Yeah, I think organization is the key for things to run smoothly.

I use workboxes (I'm uploading a picture of ours). Basically, I lay out their matireials in the "boxes" at night. I don't vary the order of their subjects very much, because it takes too much thinking on my part. I put velcro labels on each drawer/box so that kids can take the label off when they are done with a subject--it makes it easy to see what has been done and what is left to work on. Subjects for everyone together (like family read-alouds or poetry memorization) come either first thing in the morning or at bedtime. I don't lay these out in anyone's boxes. For individual subjects, I lay out independent work first for my older two kids while I work with ds6. ds8 doen't have very much independent work, so he gets to run off and play when he's done with independent work. When I'm done with ds6, I work with ds8, and then with dd10. While I'm working with my boys, I have to stop occasionally to help dd10 or to answer questions. Sometimes it feels like a juggling act. At some point after the boys have finished their individual work--either before or after (or sometimes while) I help dd10 with her schoolwork--I do science or history with my boys (which they do together).

The key for me to have a successful school day is that I can't be the one remembering what needs to be done and pushing kids to work. The workboxes do that for me. I can say to a child, "What do you have next? Okay go work on that." Or, "I don't have time to help you with that right now. Go practice piano and I'll help you when I'm done helping your brother with math."

My kids are the same ages as yours except I only have one little one. The kids have a list of "basics" that they can do in any order. The all like to listen to the 5 yos Bible so we often start with that. If I need to do something in the morning, the older two start with literature. If I am working with one child, the others do things that can be done independently. If I am actively teaching, the others are not allowed to interrupt. If I am just sitting beside another child to keep them moving on an assignment, they can ask me questions.

Basics include lit, math, Latin, spelling, handwriting, and grammar. When each child finishes they are either given a book from their book basket, a chore, or free time depending on the situation.

When all kids are finished with the basics, we do history, Bible, science, art and music (usually three of these each day). I know some people alternate skill and content areas, but I have found it easier to do the content areas all at once for a couple of reasons.

The kids do the content areas together so I'm not trying to coordinate their schedules over and over. The baby is usually sleeping during this time, too. It is kind of nice to wind down our school day this way. If something doesn't get done, it is a content area instead of a skill subject.

Edited by Meriwether

Another small (but could be significant) idea here. I just heard about Xtramath recently from browsing around WTM. I can't believe I've been HS'ing this long and hadn't heard of this before! Anyway, for those not familiar, it's a free website for learning the basic math facts. DH and I are both math people, and are serious about the kids learning their math facts REALLY, REALLY well. Anyway, I like Xtramath because it focuses on speed. I've seen too many programs that are big on games and not big on improving speed. It also keeps track of what the kids need to work on and breaks each session up into small (about 10 minute) chunks. Did I mention that it's FREE??? I have added Xtramath as a daily assignment in HST, along with the link to the website (which you can put in the assignment) and we have automated math facts practice. :D Check another "to do" off my list...thank you very much!

I have a 4th grader, 2nd grader, K/PreKer, 4yo, and 1yo. Bouncing between kids doesn't work for any of us, so for this season, our best days look like this:

*Breakfast, morning chores, kitchen cleaned up

*Read picture books to anyone who wants to listen

*Reading lesson with K/PreKer

*Sit with 4th grader one-on-one. We finish this session with her making a list of her independent work, she takes a quick break, and then she works on her independent work near me.

*While my 4th grader works independently, I work with my 2nd grader one-on-one. He has a little independent work, but he usually does that while I need to tend to interruptions from little people.

*After I am done with my 2nd grader (and he goes to play), I go back to my 4th grader to review her independent work.

We have tons of interruptions throughout the day, but this is the general flow. School always works better if we school while my 1yo is napping. He can't decided whether he wants 1 or 2 naps each day, so our actual times for everything vary each day. Some days we take huge breaks throughout the day, and some days we work straight through. It all depends on little people.

I should add that right now we aren't doing formal history or science with anyone. My oldest will start both formally in 5th grade. Until then, it's covered via nature study and reading. We focus on the 3Rs, and that's a lot for this season.

I'm teaching three. I have found workboxes are my friend! The organization they give is truly wonderful.

Our general approach is that we have some subjects we do together (history, read-alouds, Bible...) and some they do individually (math, handwriting...). I don't care when during the day they do their individual work, as long as it gets done. I have two who like to get it done in the morning first thing, and my third is a night owl who, often as not, is doing her work in the evenings. As long as it gets done, I don't nag.

My kids can't seem to figure out what to do with the workboxes....even when I write out dirctions. They want me to explain, which kinda defeats the purpose. :(

I would love to get it to work though...

I have a routine, rather than a schedule. Schedules don't work for us.

Things have gotten easier as my kids have gotten older. It was tough when they were all younger! I had a much harder time going from teaching 2 kids to 3 kids than I did going from 1 to 2.

On the weekends, I sit down and write out assignments in my kids' planners. That cuts down on the "what should I do next" thing. I need to sign off on the planners at the end of the day. It's just a self-discipline thing for me. If I can't keep myself accountable, then I can't expect to keep them accountable.

Each child has things they can do independently. It's important to use the independent work to stagger working with the other kids. I work with my kindergartener first thing, while everyone works independently. Kindergarten take about an hour. Then I switch to the next youngest and work with him for a bit.

I don't combine my kids in anything. I've tried repeatedly, and it's never worked for us. It creates more stress and juggling than just having everyone doing their own thing. There's no waiting for someone else to finish, no complaints about who answered what first, and no trying to shush one kid while another one is answering. My girls are less than 2 years apart, but interest and ability levels are so different that our home is far more peaceful if I don't combine.

We use workboxes, but in a very different way. I do not include any of their core work in the boxes that I know they will need momma for. I put fun things like puzzles, games, extra practice, jump ropes, wii time, computer time cards, chore time, etc in there and we call them our "busy boxes". This way, if I need to help one child, the other one can be busy with their extra activities.

Here's how it works:

9am: Phonics with 5 year old, 9 year old does busy boxes (usually chores or a warm up game)

9:15 5 year old finishes phonics and handwriting alone, 9 year old gets math lesson taught by mom

9:30 5 year old does math with mom, 9 year old gets independent math work done

9:45 5 year old does math page, then busy box, 9 year old gets language arts time with mom

10:00 5 year old does language lesson with mom, 9 year old does LA independently then workboxes

10:15 break all

10:30 read aloud

10:45 5 year old busy box, 9 year old gets additional help with mom on whatever she chooses

11am Catch up time. Any questions or extra work with mom, together or child does a busy box if no help is needed

11:15 history/science all

11:30 project

11:45 additional reading

12 lunch!!!!

1pm any additional work is done. If no work needs to be completed, we spend the afternoon doing fun things together or I let the kids finish workboxes while I throw some laundry in. Then we are done for the day.

So, while I am with one, the other can do stuff by themselves. If they are done before time runs out, they may start on a busy box. We run our schedule every 15 minutes of the day because we love the CM method and our lessons are short anyway.

So we always alternate between teacher time, independent work, and busy work in short increments. This really breaks up our school day to where we are always doing something new. I would imagine with 3 kids or more that this would work. 1 with mom, 1 doing independent work, 1 doing a workbox activity. Then switch!

It may not work for everyone but this is a very rough schedule of what we do.

We use workboxes, but in a very different way. I do not include any of their core work in the boxes that I know they will need momma for. I put fun things like puzzles, games, extra practice, jump ropes, wii time, computer time cards, chore time, etc in there and we call them our "busy boxes". This way, if I need to help one child, the other one can be busy with their extra activities.

Here's how it works:

9am: Phonics with 5 year old, 9 year old does busy boxes (usually chores or a warm up game)

9:15 5 year old finishes phonics and handwriting alone, 9 year old gets math lesson taught by mom

9:30 5 year old does math with mom, 9 year old gets independent math work done

9:45 5 year old does math page, then busy box, 9 year old gets language arts time with mom

10:00 5 year old does language lesson with mom, 9 year old does LA independently then workboxes

10:15 break all

10:30 read aloud

10:45 5 year old busy box, 9 year old gets additional help with mom on whatever she chooses

11am Catch up time. Any questions or extra work with mom, together or child does a busy box if no help is needed

11:15 history/science all

11:30 project

11:45 additional reading

12 lunch!!!!

1pm any additional work is done. If no work needs to be completed, we spend the afternoon doing fun things together or I let the kids finish workboxes while I throw some laundry in. Then we are done for the day.

So, while I am with one, the other can do stuff by themselves. If they are done before time runs out, they may start on a busy box. We run our schedule every 15 minutes of the day because we love the CM method and our lessons are short anyway.

So we always alternate between teacher time, independent work, and busy work in short increments. This really breaks up our school day to where we are always doing something new. I would imagine with 3 kids or more that this would work. 1 with mom, 1 doing independent work, 1 doing a workbox activity. Then switch!

It may not work for everyone but this is a very rough schedule of what we do.

This busy box idea is interesting... but a problem I can foresee is say something in the busy box is a picture book to read, but before the child is finished reading the book, I'm ready (and have limited opportunity, perhaps) to work with them on something. So then I'm waiting for them to finish their busy box activity (in which case it ends up holding up progress) or I am constantly frustrating the kids by telling them they can't finish what they started doing.

Is there a way to avoid that?

This busy box idea is interesting... but a problem I can foresee is say something in the busy box is a picture book to read, but before the child is finished reading the book, I'm ready (and have limited opportunity, perhaps) to work with them on something. So then I'm waiting for them to finish their busy box activity (in which case it ends up holding up progress) or I am constantly frustrating the kids by telling them they can't finish what they started doing.

Is there a way to avoid that?

This is exactly what would happen to us, and it would drive all of us crazy. We are destined to get many interruptions from little people anyway. Adding planned interruptions would tip me over the edge, and my kids wouldn't be far behind. I process and think in a linear fashion, so our day has to be somewhat linear for me to keep my sanity. Having our schooling set up in blocks of independent time and one-on-one time has been my best solution thus far. My kids also seem to learn more when I can focus on them for an extended period of time rather than jumping between them.

Edited by 2squared

This is exactly what would happen to us, and it would drive all of us crazy. We are destined to get many interruptions from little people anyway. Adding planned interruptions would tip me over the edge, and my kids wouldn't be far behind. I process and think in a linear fashion, so our day has to be somewhat linear for me to keep my sanity. Having our schooling set up in blocks of indepent time and one-on-one time has been my best solution thus far. My kids also seem to learn more when I can focus on them for an extended period of time rather than jumping between then.
DITTO. I think the only time I have a time when I'm going between 2 kids is with my 2nd and 3rd graders' math. If the entire day were like that I would lose my ever-lovin' mind.:lol:

This is exactly what would happen to us, and it would drive all of us crazy. We are destined to get many interruptions from little people anyway. Adding planned interruptions would tip me over the edge, and my kids wouldn't be far behind. I process and think in a linear fashion, so our day has to be somewhat linear for me to keep my sanity. Having our schooling set up in blocks of independent time and one-on-one time has been my best solution thus far. My kids also seem to learn more when I can focus on them for an extended period of time rather than jumping between them.

DITTO. I think the only time I have a time when I'm going between 2 kids is with my 2nd and 3rd graders' math. If the entire day were like that I would lose my ever-lovin' mind.:lol:

Glad you guys say this! I'm not sure what you mean that you think in a "linear fashion" but if you mean you can't switch gears quickly or repeatedly and like to concentrate on one thing for a while, that's exactly how I am!!

And it's funny because I used to think the more I could combine my kids the better, but now I wonder if this is part of the problem. Not only do I have a hard time helping kids doing different things at the same time, hopping from teaching one kid to the next, but helping TWO kids at the same time, even if it's the same subject, can be super tiring. It just seems like school would take so long if I separate them out, but, I'm starting to wonder if I could make it work and I would get a lot more accomplished (minus the extra-strength tylenol).

2squared... How big are your blocks of time? Is the independent time basically busy work / reading (rather than specific assignments) to give them something to do while you work with the other one??

I wonder if this is what I need to do.

Plus, I'm thinking of using homeschool tracker for the planning part.

And it's funny because I used to think the more I could combine my kids the better, but now I wonder if this is part of the problem. Not only do I have a hard time helping kids doing different things at the same time, hopping from teaching one kid to the next, but helping TWO kids at the same time, even if it's the same subject, can be super tiring. It just seems like school would take so long if I separate them out, but, I'm starting to wonder if I could make it work and I would get a lot more accomplished (minus the extra-strength tylenol).

I hear ya. The only things I combine my kids for is stuff where we discuss something or listen to all the same thing - Bible, history, science, PAL writing (it's mostly oral), etc.

I have not read through all the results but you've gotten some good ideas from the 3 pages I did read.

What has helped me is that I used Homeschool Tracker plus. Over the summer I will put in all of our lessons for each curriculum as assignments. Each weekend I go in to the system and drag assignments into that week for each kid based on our schedule that week. From this I can print a weekly schedule for each kid. My older really likes this and has done well with since 5th grade. My 3rd grader does pretty good with it, too. They can each see what they need to do, check it off when it's done (putting the work on my desk for me to check or grade) and I mark off on the checklist when I've confirmed it's done. The K'er is not using the checklist in this manner, but it is mainly for me to make sure we are getting through everything we need to do each day/week.

My oldest does a lot of his work independently waiting to ask questions until his "turn", which is last. I start the morning with the K'er doing some reading/phonics games/handwriting and then he goes off to play while I work with 3rd grader on grammar/math/etc. When the 3rd grader is at his limit, I send him and K'er off to have snack and play phonics game and/or watch Dinosaur Train while I work with 6th grader. Usually this is just discussing any incorrect answers or working through math, etc. Then we do read aloud all together and Mystery of History. Then lunch. After lunch we have an elective which is meet the Masters or Chemistry or nature Study, etc.

We are in the process of adopting so I know this will change once again when we add a new little life into our home but we just keep working to make it work!

Good luck!

Glad you guys say this! I'm not sure what you mean that you think in a "linear fashion" but if you mean you can't switch gears quickly or repeatedly and like to concentrate on one thing for a while, that's exactly how I am!!

Yep, that's what I mean!

2squared... How big are your blocks of time? Is the independent time basically busy work / reading (rather than specific assignments) to give them something to do while you work with the other one??

No, they don't have busy work. I'm too tired to come up with busy work ideas, and my finances are too tight as well. So, our blocks kinda look like this:

Morning

Read picture books and then do reading lesson with Ker. My 4yo usually listens in, but everyone else is off playing or whatever.

*Short break for me*

Mid-Morning

4th grader working one-on-one with me while everyone else plays or naps. We go over her work for the day. It's kinda like a meeting where I teach, and then anything she can complete on her own goes on a list for her to work on when we are done. A year ago she really didn't have any independent work, but that has changed over this year.

*Break for lunch*

Early Afternoon

4th grader works independently while I work one-on-one with 2nd grader. Everyone else plays or naps. My 2nd grader may have a little independent work to do which he does while I tend to the littles or when we are done working one-on-one.

When I'm done with my 2nd grader, I go back to the 4th grader and review her independent work. We may have some items to finish together.

*Done around 3:00 or 4:00*

Our ending time seems late, but we have longer breaks throughout the day. Also, while the kids are working or reading, I often fold clothes, switch laundry, etc. I get many smaller household chores done during school. We usually break for about 2 hours at lunch, and I get a lot done in then. Getting things done during the day helps offset my mental struggle with the later ending time.

Our ending time seems late, but we have longer breaks throughout the day. Also, while the kids are working or reading, I often fold clothes, switch laundry, etc. I get many smaller household chores done during school. We usually break for about 2 hours at lunch, and I get a lot done in then. Getting things done during the day helps offset my mental struggle with the later ending time.

3 or 4 pm! Noooooooooooooooooooooooooo......

:tongue_smilie:

You're supposed to tell me you can STILL get done by 1. hehe But teaching one at a time is bound to take more time, I suppose. But if it's less chaos, I might still be less tired at the end of the day and that definitely counts for a lot. I feel like I can't make it until lunch time most days because school is just so stressful to me. I literally cried almost every day last year. I consider it an improvement that I only find it incredibly frustrating, but I don't bust into tears. Sorry about the pity-party, but I hate my kids knowing how stressed out mommy is and how much I clearly can't stand doing school half the time because it's just so hard to teach 3 kids at once and have the other 2 to tend to. So I really want to figure this out so I can be a cheerful mommy and also get done what I need to get done. Knowing exactly how others make it work is very helpful.

Did you say you use Homeschool Tracker, too?? I see there are different versions (Plus; I can't remember if there's another). Does anyone recommend one version over another? All else fairly equal of course I'd like to spend less money, but if the cheaper version isn't nearly as helpful as the Plus then I just want to get what will help me out the most. I need it!

Hey there, I have three I am homeschooling 6th grade, 3rd grade and 2nd grade plus a 3 yr old. I have a schedule written out and they each have a copy of their schedule in their binder. When I make it up at the beginning of the year I schedule it based on who will need me for what subjects. For instance I schedule two of them for something they can do ind. while I am doing something with the other. We combine for history, science, geography at the end of the school day, I just have my son do extra work when we are done for each of those since he is in the logic stage. My girls for reading are right on the same level so we do First language Lessons, Writing with Ease ad Reading together. Most of what my son does by now is independent except for Latin and vocab we do together.

3 or 4 pm! Noooooooooooooooooooooooooo......

:tongue_smilie:

You're supposed to tell me you can STILL get done by 1. hehe But teaching one at a time is bound to take more time, I suppose. But if it's less chaos, I might still be less tired at the end of the day and that definitely counts for a lot. I feel like I can't make it until lunch time most days because school is just so stressful to me. I literally cried almost every day last year. I consider it an improvement that I only find it incredibly frustrating, but I don't bust into tears. Sorry about the pity-party, but I hate my kids knowing how stressed out mommy is and how much I clearly can't stand doing school half the time because it's just so hard to teach 3 kids at once and have the other 2 to tend to. So I really want to figure this out so I can be a cheerful mommy and also get done what I need to get done. Knowing exactly how others make it work is very helpful.

Did you say you use Homeschool Tracker, too?? I see there are different versions (Plus; I can't remember if there's another). Does anyone recommend one version over another? All else fairly equal of course I'd like to spend less money, but if the cheaper version isn't nearly as helpful as the Plus then I just want to get what will help me out the most. I need it!

I don't use Homeschool Tracker. I'm more of a checklist, do-the-next thing person.

Getting done at 3 or 4 sounds long, but it's really not if you look at the hours we work.

*30 min with my youngers

*break (length varies)

*90 min with my 4th grader

*break (2 hours)

*60 min with my 2nd grader

*30 min with my 4th grader

=3.5 hours total teaching time for me

We could be done by 1:00, but moving at that pace (as in no large breaks) puts too much stress on us. My 18mo is still regularly taking 2 naps/day, so we try to utilize that time as much as possible.

ETA: My list-type brain would like to get done with school much earlier so I can check it off my daily to-do list. I have to dilligently work at being OK mentally with having a longer day. But, you know, our longer day (with bigger breaks) is less stressful for us, and I get most of my housework done throughout the day. I just spread the school joy throughout the day rather than compartmentalizing it.

I should add that we don't do formal science or history yet.

Edited by 2squared

I am just about to enter this new arena. We've been doing K and 2nd this year, and I also have a 3 y.o and an infant. I know our school will change dramatically next year. Although I haven't had to do a full day yet, I am already playing with our new schedule now. I am finding that if I do all my language arts with each child before moving onto the next child, instead of bouncing back and forth, it is much smoother. I am having one son do his piano, typing, online geography games (downloaded GlobalMania for free recently), and cursive practice while I am working one-on-one with the other school-aged child. My goal is to find lots of independent work they can do while I am occupied with the other. I wasn't going to add geography, BUT it is going to keep them busy. I might add online math fact games too. My youngest son REALLY wants to do the typing lesson too, but I am not sure if he is really ready for it. My biggest problem this year is that I send my K to play when he is finished and I lose all my kids when transitioning between school and play.

There is no way we could ever finish by 1, but we don't usually start our day until 9 or 9:30.

Please also check out scholaric.com. It is very inexpensive ($1/mo/child) and very user-friendly and intuitive. I haven't been printing out my check-off lists, but I plan to do this next year. Hope that helps!

Yep, that's what I mean!

No, they don't have busy work. I'm too tired to come up with busy work ideas, and my finances are too tight as well. So, our blocks kinda look like this:

Morning

Read picture books and then do reading lesson with Ker. My 4yo usually listens in, but everyone else is off playing or whatever.

*Short break for me*

Mid-Morning

4th grader working one-on-one with me while everyone else plays or naps. We go over her work for the day. It's kinda like a meeting where I teach, and then anything she can complete on her own goes on a list for her to work on when we are done. A year ago she really didn't have any independent work, but that has changed over this year.

*Break for lunch*

Early Afternoon

4th grader works independently while I work one-on-one with 2nd grader. Everyone else plays or naps. My 2nd grader may have a little independent work to do which he does while I tend to the littles or when we are done working one-on-one.

When I'm done with my 2nd grader, I go back to the 4th grader and review her independent work. We may have some items to finish together.

Thank you so much for this! I don't like to see that you do school til 3 or 4 either, but I can see how that might work better when I add my next student in a year. I do like the break/work balance. My boys can get so distracted when I try to bounce in between them and it doesn't seem efficient. I'm only combining them for fun subjects like Latin and geography. I think I'll keep that the same and try out a schedule like yours. Maybe by the time I have three and four at the table, I'll have the routine down.

I was also reassured that your 4th grader is getting more independent. My 2nd grader does fine but he's still only 8 and I don't expect much of that yet. However, I'll need him to work more on his own as I add more students. My head knows that he'll be very different by the time he's in 4th but it's hard to imagine at this point.

This has been a great thread!

Mine are 9,5, and 4. I'm usually pretty organized, but I don't follow a set schedule. It was too stressful on all of us. I start with the 9-year-old and do the subjects we need to do together. I spend about an hour with him. He has a "to-do" list for each day, broken down by subject. After I do some subjects with him, he works through the list on his own to complete assignments he does not need me for. Now, he is neither organized nor focused so I'll usually sit with him before I let him work. I mark off a certain number of things I want him to do and write a time for about how long I think it should take. I add up the total and give him a time on the clock to shoot for. If there's any other subjects he needs me for, I do those with him at the end. This has worked really well for us.

During the time he is working with me, the other two just play together. When I am finished with him, I rotate the other two. The k'er wants his own to-do list too, so most days he gets one. There's not a ton he can do on his own, other than completing an assignment after I teach him something, but he feels big.

This really works for us because everyone gets some time just with me, and they know it's coming, but it's not always at the same time of day precisely.

Also, we work hard M-Th doing our main subjects. We save Fridays for "Fun Fridays." On Fridays, we do field trips, art, history projects, math games, etc.

This system may not always work for us, but it's good for now. I like giving them some independence in the matter. My oldest needs to learn organization, and this helps. Also, he works best when he feels some control over the situation, so allowing him to choose the order of things he does on his own helps that, too.

I have 8 children: 6 schooling plus a nearly 2yo and a baby.

This is how we currently run our days....

Breakfast and morning jobs come first (obviously) and then we have a Bible time together which also involves memory work and singing. Sometimes we'll have the Bible time at breakfast instead - depending on what the baby is up to :001_smile: .

Morning Desk Work: Everyone does three main things in this time:

1) math,

2) writing (copywork, own choice writing, dictation, etc). Three of my girls are currently doing online Bravewriter courses so they work on these in this time.

3) Greek/Latin Roots (M,W,F) or Grammar (T,Th)

So, in this time I am usually supervising and/or marking math as they finish, giving dictation, checking other finished work etc. My nearly 2yo has 'blanket time' where she plays with toys on a blanket in the middle of the room. The baby is either feeding or asleep or being cuddled.

We have a short break for morning tea where the kids ALL go outside.

Then we have our 'topic' time. We have been having a family 'theme' that we work on. We may start together then branch out to do own work. I work more with the younger kids here, whether it be reading, or giving them some related activity, or getting them writing something for their notebooks on their theme. The older kids go off to do their own reading/research/writing etc.

Lunch

After lunch is read-aloud time. We read aloud from various literature, something related to our current topic, and/or science. I sometimes stop for narrations in this time.

Then it is quiet time which includes own reading, and any other quiet project that the kids would like to work on. For example, they write letters, sew, cook, build Lego, do craft, catch up unfinished work etc.

So that's pretty much it. We have both combined and not combined over time. Right now we are back to combining and I'm loving it. Even though we have a wide age group now it is working because we work around a topic and each child works at his/her own level. The younger kids do more creative work and some narration and copywork on the topic, while the older kids include more research, reports and essay style responses. They all present a 'notebook' at the end of a topic of the work they have done. I'm finding this the most comfortable way of covering everybody and their needs and stages.

HTH

Things have started running much smoother since I started doing my work with the little girls first thing in the morning.

:iagree: I start DD10 and DS8 on independent work in the morning, which allows me to focus more on DS6 and DD4. Once I have "filled their cups" with attention and schoolwork, they are much happier working independently on school, crafts, building, etc. while I work with the older ones.