Menu

Woman-stuff question

**Warning: not for those eating breakfast...**

Dd12 is this close to starting her cycle. She's starting to get those mid-month excretions that bothered me so much that sometimes I'd wear minipads around ovulation. In her words, "Mom, it feels like I wet my pants."

Here's the real problem: While I have always been on the couch-potato side of life, she is very high activity. Specifically, she's a karate instructor... their uniforms are white (whose stupid idea was that?!?) and they kick over their heads regularly. She's tried cloth and disposable pads already and she says they don't stay in place and make her crazy. She's also concerned that one of these days, those excretions are going to turn red and she won't notice....

She wants to wear tampons even though she's not bleeding yet. I've always been told not to do that, but I don't know exactly why and I can't think of any other options. Thoughts? Suggestions? Miracle solutions?

Thanks!

When I was in nursing school, we had to wear white pants (white pants for a profession that is predominately female! We successfully convinced them to switch to dark blue pants for following semesters, though). I wore padded bike shorts underneath.

I do know that a friend of mine wore tampons during martial arts when not bleeding because it helped with post-childbirth stress incontinence. I think the main concern with tampons is that they're too drying, and can cause some trauma when removed dry. However, a light absorbancy one, used only a few times a week for an hour or two at a time, might not be too horrible.

Edited by ocelotmom

Is she trying to stick a pantiliner to panties that are already damp? I'm really surprised that a brand-name liner wouldn't stay in place in dry panties. Can she wear tighter-fitting panties so that they don't move around? I personally wouldn't use tampons except for during a period, esp. so young (TSS, discomfort, etc).

Is she trying to stick a pantiliner to panties that are already damp? I'm really surprised that a brand-name liner wouldn't stay in place in dry panties. Can she wear tighter-fitting panties so that they don't move around? I personally wouldn't use tampons except for during a period, esp. so young (TSS, discomfort, etc).

:iagree: I'd check how she's attaching them.

Also, I wouldn't use tampons when she's not bleeding, either.

I'd be concerned about toxic shock syndrome caused by using tampons "inappropriately."

I don't think TSS is a concern if it's only being worn for a short period. All day, everyday, yes. And I'd be a little worried that it would turn into all day, everyday.

she could try a Soft Cup or Diva Cup. Soft cup is a cup that goes over your cervix for aunt flo (you insert it). Many use it for TTC to keep the swimmers close to the cervix. Diva cup is similar BUT it goes right in the vaginal opening, not as far up as your cervix. Soft cups are NOT reusable but Diva is.

I use the Diva Cup. :)

You could ALSO use Cloth Pads instead of store bought. They can be made from different materials and with or without wings (wings usually have snaps) so they can stay in place. Fleece or Wool on the bottom helps from sliding around too. You can get them cheap or expensive. Check Etsy or Hyenacart. I use these as well. Luna Pads are popular, I use Newmoon Pads. (she has a trial bundle pack ;)) ETA: you would wash these like cloth diapers- in the laundry.

HTH~~~

My dd is in taekwondo and she's had a rough time with this. Poor girl started her period when she was only 11. The first six months were pretty bad. She never actually had any "accidents" at TKD but she was very uncomfortable. But the good news is that after that, she got used to it. She got used to the feeling of a pad, and she found a brand, size, and type which fit her better and stay in place pretty well. (We buy her a different size for when she's at TKD than what she wears the rest of the time.)

I never thought of the bike shorts, though. That's a good idea!

I personally wouldn't encourage her to try tampons if she's not even bleeding yet. Instead, I'd give her some time to get used to wearing pads, experimenting with different brands and sizes, and see how that goes. I'm sorry I don't have a better suggestions, though.

I'd second the diva cup. Also I really like my pads from homestead emporium, they are quite thin, but I like the larger ones (cause otherwise I feel like I have to be too still. I find they stay in place really well. I like the ones like this:

She is closed till May 4th though.

for me the DC isnt uncomfortable. I can wear it all day and have no issues. Much better than a tampon!

I will check out her facebook because those pads are TDF!

I wouldn't have her wear a tampon when she's not bleeding.

I was pretty active when I was younger and the suggestions of tighter underwear and tight bike shorts (like under armour, not cotton ones) would help a lot with keeping the pads in place.

You've gotten good advice so far, but I wanted to respond to her concern that excretions are going to turn red without her noticing. She shouldn't be having mucus after ovulation, so she should have a week or two of dryness after ovulation before her period. If not, I would suggest talking to a doc. (This is based on a fully mature cycle, so I suppose I could be totally wrong in relation to a young woman just starting to cycle.) Anyway, that information might make her less worried about bleeding during martial arts. Hugs for both of you - adjusting to this woman thing is tough!

You've gotten good advice so far, but I wanted to respond to her concern that excretions are going to turn red without her noticing. She shouldn't be having mucus after ovulation, so she should have a week or two of dryness after ovulation before her period. If not, I would suggest talking to a doc. (This is based on a fully mature cycle, so I suppose I could be totally wrong in relation to a young woman just starting to cycle.) Anyway, that information might make her less worried about bleeding during martial arts. Hugs for both of you - adjusting to this woman thing is tough!

I have to wear a pantyliner every day, all month long. Certain times of the month I have heavier "excretions," of course (seems weird calling it that). When I first started wearing them (6th grade), I did have one fall out once on the playground. I haven't had a problem with it since then, but I do press them in firmly (I agree with a pp that you have to make sure the panties are not damp first). I use store brand pantyliners during the month and usually use the Instead Softcup (they've changed the packaging so the word "Softcup" is predominant--it's next to the tampons at the store) during menstruation. I agree with the pp who suggested better fitting underwear, and possibly bike shorts.

she could try a Soft Cup or Diva Cup. Soft cup is a cup that goes over your cervix for aunt flo (you insert it). Many use it for TTC to keep the swimmers close to the cervix. Diva cup is similar BUT it goes right in the vaginal opening, not as far up as your cervix. Soft cups are NOT reusable but Diva is.

HTH~~~

:iagree: I love my Diva cup!

You could ALSO use Cloth Pads instead of store bought. They can be made from different materials and with or without wings (wings usually have snaps) so they can stay in place. Fleece or Wool on the bottom helps from sliding around too. You can get them cheap or expensive. Check Etsy or Hyenacart. I use these as well. Luna Pads are popular, I use Newmoon Pads. (she has a trial bundle pack ;)) ETA: you would wash these like cloth diapers- in the laundry.

HTH~~~

That or Sea Pearls sponges. They don't dry like a tampon, but do collect the, um, extraneous moisture.

I just wanted to add another "no tampon!' voice :)

TSS can happen even with very infrequent, short use. All that is going on is a drying and cracking (for lack of a better word) in the lining of the vaginal wall. Pulling out a dry tampon makes it worse, but just having it in there is causing damage. Once the walls get irritated and cracked a bit - that's when the infection can set in. It can happen really fast.

I just wanted to add another "no tampon!' voice :)

TSS can happen even with very infrequent, short use. All that is going on is a drying and cracking (for lack of a better word) in the lining of the vaginal wall. Pulling out a dry tampon makes it worse, but just having it in there is causing damage. Once the walls get irritated and cracked a bit - that's when the infection can set in. It can happen really fast.

Thank you for this level of detail. I have explained the why side of this to her and she literally blanched a bit. I think we've talked her out of that one. :)

actually you do have Cervical Mucus AFTER O. You generally have watery, then Sticky, then Creamy and then Aunt Flo. Sometimes you can get dry after the watery and before the creamy. But if you check Cervical Position, youll notice mucus that may not be on your panties or TP. ;)

I have read Taking Charge Of Your Fertility, Been on their forums, FertilityFriend.com....been TTC 3+yrs. I feel like im an expert. :lol: