Menu

Can you believe I've never cooked a brisket?

help-0003.gifI ordered a brisket through my food co-op last month, and I want to cook it today. The problem is I've never cooked one before. I am not inexperienced at all, but for some reason I've never before ventured to brisketville. So does anyone care to share some yummy recipe? I know it needs to cook long and slow. Would the crock pot be good? It would be nice to avoid the oven, but I could do that too. I am limited to the ingredients that I have on hand because I can't get to the store today.

Any ideas?

Thanks!!!!!

Brisket is the meal my son always asks for on his birthday:)

I'm not sure if you have a fresh one or if your brisket is corned beef brisket. If it is corned beef brisket, boil it on low for the better part of the day. It will reach a point where it goes from being very tough to totally relaxed and able to be pulled off with a fork. The last forty minutes we add carrots, potatoes, cabbage and onions in big chunks. This couldn't be any easier.

NOW, our favorite way to have this is to spread a thick barbecue sauce over it with lots of spices and then bake it covered on low for the better part of the day. Surprisingly, our family still likes it to be the corned beef style that we do this with. We have used the fresh and it is good. I just find it needs a bit more seasonings.

Also, go the recipezaar for a whole load of brisket recipes. Happy eating:001_smile:!

I don't have an exact recipe but I've done it with a mix of dried fruit and it's really good. I think it's basically the kind of meat that it's difficult to mess up....cook it long and slow with some kind of marinade. I usually make something up (orange juice/vinegar, something like BBQ sauce or Chinese Hoisin sauce, a little garlic, a little salt, sometimes a little honey works well). If I'm going to do in the oven I would marinade and then bake it later slowly. In the crockpot I'd just stick it in there and pour the sauce over it. I've done it like that and added chopped up dried fruit and it's yummy.

No, it's not corned beef, it's fresh. That's funny, because I had forgotten that corned beef is made from brisket, so naturally I have cooked one! wacko.gif

Okay, so maybe I'll just pour bbq sauce over it, eh? The dried fruit sounds yummy to me, Alice, but most of my family has a deep aversion for dried fruit, so I can't do that. :confused:

But bbq sauce or hoisin? Hmmmm....possibilities....

And the crock pot is okay?

I usually marinate mine one day. Cook it the 2nd day and reheat it the third. It does use the oven, but it is low heat. I like to have a very thin layer of fat which I cook top-side up. If yours hasn't been trimmed you will need to cut off some of the fat. It should be like 1/4" to 1/2" thick.

Barbecue Brisket

Brisket, trimmed (I usually get one that is around four pounds)

Onion salt

Celery salt

Garlic salt

Creole seasoning

2 Tbs. liquid smoke (I probably use more, I don’t measure it ~ just kind of rub it all over)

Worcestershire sauce

1 (18-ounce )bottle of your favorite barbecue sauce

Rub the brisket with liquid smoke. Sprinkle seasonings fairly liberally on both sides of meat and rub in. Marinate, covered, in the refrigerator overnight. Place in a 4-quart rectangular glass casserole and pour Worcestershire sauce on brisket (No, I don’t know how much, just put a healthy sprinkling on both sides). Bake the brisket covered with foil for five hours (No, that is not a typo) at 250 degrees. Remove from oven, drain off all the juice, and let it cool. (I usually let it sit in its juices for a bit before I drain them away). Put it back in the fridge until it is chilled. Slice thinly and layer in casserole. Cover with the bottle of barbecue sauce. Reheat, covered with foil, before serving.

I've never cooked a brisket, either.

When I do, I will follow the pioneer woman's recipe. Her website is thepioneerwoman dot com. Go to cooking, then main courses, then beef, then brisket baby.

She has pictures and detailed instructions. Plus her posts are always a lot of fun to read.

She used to post here a while back.

HTH,

Melissa

me me me....confession...I never cooked a brisket either. :grouphug:

Rea from Pioneer woman cooks did and showed how to do it on her cooking website http://www.thepioneerwomancooks.com

I am going to try her recipe the next time brisket is on sale.

Holly

ETA: I guess a few others recommended pioneerwoman's blog. Sorry for not reading all the replies before I posted. I didn't go past page 1.

Ooooh, Ree's recipe looks fabuloso. Unfortunately I don't have any consomme on hand.

I think I'll cover it with onions, garlic, chopped carrots, and then this most delicious seasoning blend. I think I'll pour some beer on top for liquid. Oh, and liquid smoke.

I wanted to go the easy route and use a jar of bbq sauce, but I don't have any and if I'm going to bother to make some from scratch I might as well do the thing I described above.

Okay, I'd better get crackin'. I need this to be edible by 6!

Ooooh, Ree's recipe looks fabuloso. Unfortunately I don't have any consomme on hand.

I think I'll cover it with onions, garlic, chopped carrots, and then this most delicious seasoning blend. I think I'll pour some beer on top for liquid. Oh, and liquid smoke.

I wanted to go the easy route and use a jar of bbq sauce, but I don't have any and if I'm going to bother to make some from scratch I might as well do the thing I described above.

Okay, I'd better get crackin'. I need this to be edible by 6!

I usually spice rub mine and then slow on the BBQ for 2 hours per pound. While on the grill, I baste it with beer.

Your way sounds delicious too... my mouth was actually watering reading your post! :lol:

A GREAT way to get a brisket (or short ribs etc.) is by using a pressure cooker. Ang, if you put all those ingredients into a pressure cooker (don't forget salt and pepper!), your dinner would be ready in 45 minutes. NO JOKE! Turns out flavorful and moist.

Here's my favorite recipe...I cook it all night and pop it in the refrig during the day and heat it up for dinner with the sauce. I also serve it the first night with veggies...kinda like a pot roast, the next night leftovers on hamburger buns with coleslaw and chips. It's so good and easy!

Beef Brisket Recipe – 8 servings

4 to 5 lb brisket

1 tsp onion salt

2 tsp pepper

2 tsp Worchester sauce

1 tsp garlic salt

2 tsp celery salt

1 ½ tsp salt

Preheat oven to 225*F. Mix all but meat in a small bowl. Rub into meat on all sides. Wrap tightly in heavy foil. Put on a sprayed cookie sheet, bake 8 hours. Pour off part of liquid and cool meat. Take sharp knife and cut off the top layer of fat. Slice or shred the meat. Put in a heavy casserole dish.

Sauce:

1 cup of sugar

1 bottle of your favorite BBQ sauce

1 bottle Russian dressing

Mix together and pour over brisket and bake covered for 1 hour or until heated. Serve.

This recipe has been served at many military dinners and everyone always wants the recipe! Enjoy!!