Menu

Reducing screen time: Help me brainstorm!

ABQmom

I really want to do this for my kids (or to them it will seem to them) for this summer. My plan is to implement something this summer, and if all goes well, continue the plan through the school year. I want reduced screen time to become the norm for our home. We have rules in place already, but somehow they still manage to spend a large part of their day in front of a screen. Screens are everywhere! TV, computers, DS, Iphones, etc.

The problem I foresee happening is that my youngest two will get bored. They will aggravate and complain. I know it will take time for the new norm to happen without complaining, but I'd like to brainstorm a list of things the kids can do IN PLACE of watching a screen. Then, I can at least say, "Here is a list of things to help you think of something else to do".

I really need help with ideas for a boy who hates to color and do crafts.

1. board games

2. play outside

3. wash the car

4. go for a walk

5. color

6. make something

7. READ!!!

8. play w/ toys (Lego, dolls)

Any other suggestions?? Our summers are long because my oldest 2 make a movie every summer, and they need lots of time to do this--it keeps them busy and productive, so I like it. :)

Have you seen the Dangerous Book for Boys? Lots of great ideas in there.

Do they play musical instruments? They could get lots of practice in!

To reduce screen time here, my kids have to earn it by practicing the piano. They get to exchange equal parts of piano practice for screen time. Often they just do their mandatory 30 minutes a day, but when they get addicted to a certain show or game they get a whole ton of piano practice in :)

I think that in order to cut down screen time, you need to keep the kids busy! Take them to the pool as often as you can. Have some sort of outing to do every day. Involve them in what you are doing - have them help make dinner, make cookies together, make ice cream together, paint with them, etc. I think it is hard for a kid to be told "go play" but they will happily answer "yes" to "Do you want to play with me?"

Once they get used to not having screen time, I think they will transition into finding ways to keep themselves occupied.

First of all, good for you! We've always been a very limited screen time family (I'm talking, like a couple hours of screens per WEEK, if that) and it always makes me so happy to watch my kids doing all the things they do every day. Sometimes it consciously occurs to me that they would be missing out on [insert random healthy experience here] if they were sitting in front of the television.

I wonder if a good way to wean your kids from screens might be to explore new hobbies that have the potential to become consuming. Would your DS be interested in building model cars/planes? Woodworking? Would anyone be interested in learning to cook, or decorate cakes/cupcakes? Sewing, knitting, quilting? Starting some kind of a collection? If you don't have one of the skills they're interested in, that's a great opportunity to find someone you know who could teach them, so they could strengthen a relationship in the process. Perhaps you could even start from that angle--does a neighbor/grandparent/aunt/uncle have a hobby or skill that one of your kids would be interested in learning?

If you could pull them away from screens to become totally consumed by the pursuit of a new skill or hobby, I think that would make the process much easier.

If all else fails, I have heard of some people who have an "I'm Bored" jar. Any time someone says they're bored, they draw a slip from the jar and they have to do that task (some of them are silly or fun and some of them are chores). I bet they'd learn to occupy themselves really quickly that way! :tongue_smilie:

Any other suggestions?? Our summers are long because my oldest 2 make a movie every summer, and they need lots of time to do this--it keeps them busy and productive, so I like it. :)

that sound neat. Now I'm curious about the movie your two oldest make. Would you mind telling me more about it.

Perhaps you boy could help with it?

Guest l.sullivan

I saw these technology punch cards the other day and we may be giving them a try soon.

I think the idea for trading piano practice time for screen time is great! My kids LOVE legos, tinker toys, mr. potato head, wooden blocks, bead crafts, tents and forts, water color painting, drawing with drawing books, playing restaurant, school, hotel, filling small pretend "pools" with a little water and playing with all the littlest pet shops or dolls, making clubs, origami, and making silly movies with their camera. As long as I don't mind the mess it seems like they keep themselves pretty busy!

We just implemented "read 30 mins and EARN 30 mins of tv or video game time" that has increased the reading in our house.

Right now we have alot of wandering around our house but we have a pool, a trampoline, gardening. We have friends come over to play. Lots of outdoor time!

In my experience, decreasing screen time works best when then first have to go without it for a while. My youngest was always asking about playing on the computer and watching TV (but mostly the computer), and then he got in big trouble, and the computer was off limits to him for a week. When we went back to our norm, there was much less obsession. Also, I started to be very strict about the rules, which I hadn't been previously. I put a timer by the computer, and that helps a lot.

I also have a ban on DS's in the house. I just don't see the point of them. They are very isolating.

As for what to do during the summer, my older dd has worked on specific skills/projects during the summer. Two years ago, she learned cursive. Last year, she worked on typing. This year, she is planning to continue typing and also learn how to crochet. She also has a specific reading goal that she is working on daily. Those things plus time outdoors and in classes will keep her occupied for quite a while each day.

We try to desperately decrease it.

Some of my rules:

1)You cannot have screen time first thing in the morning. Must get dressed, do chores first, eat breakfast and say good morning to each other before screen time starts

2)one screen time at a time. They cannot have the computer going and tv going at the same time.

3)Must earn screen time. For every 30 minutes of screen must be spent on reading for 30 minutes like poster above.

Things I try to keep the kids busy which is hard because my toddler wants to destruct everything the older kids do.

1) Build with blocks

2)Make and play with playdough

3)Water play

4)outdoor play

5)board game/card game

6)dress up

7)make a movie

8)build a fort

9)read a book

10)draw a picture

11)rub glue on your hand and peel it off

12)sew, knit something

13)play with cardboard boxes

14)water fight

15)go swimming

16)do a craft

17)sing some songs

18)do some chores, clean house

19)bake cupcakes

20)write a play

the scary thing is that all my kids can do ALL of these things in one day or even just in a few hours!!!!!!

the scary thing is that all my kids can do ALL of these things in one day or even just in a few hours!!!!!!

Wow! My oldest gets caught up in any given activity for hours, and it is all we can do to fit everything in. Sometimes I wish I could be a fly on the wall in some of y'all's houses.

I wonder if a good way to wean your kids from screens might be to explore new hobbies that have the potential to become consuming. Would your DS be interested in building model cars/planes? Woodworking? Would anyone be interested in learning to cook, or decorate cakes/cupcakes? Sewing, knitting, quilting? Starting some kind of a collection? If you don't have one of the skills they're interested in, that's a great opportunity to find someone you know who could teach them, so they could strengthen a relationship in the process. Perhaps you could even start from that angle--does a neighbor/grandparent/aunt/uncle have a hobby or skill that one of your kids would be interested in learning?

If you could pull them away from screens to become totally consumed by the pursuit of a new skill or hobby, I think that would make the process much easier.

:iagree: 100% with this. They need hobbies and/or hobby toys. I highly recommend Steve Caney's Ultimate Building Book. Also, you could buy a lot of PVC and fittings and watch them build incredible things. My kids built a puppet theater, car wash/sprinkler for the back yard, fort, and tons more stuff. You could make some big-kid centers, making sure to have art and handiwork supplies and books available for self-serve use. My DD also loves having book-making and writing supplies available. She's taken up calligraphy and other fun fonts. You can talk to them about this and make it an adventure. Go to the library and check out books on different hobbies. Try something. If they like it, great! If not, move on to try something else. No biggie.

Finally, as my Grandpa used to say, "If you're bored, you're boring!" :tongue_smilie:

Well, I don't know if this is the best way to do it, but it works for us. I keep my kids pretty scheduled during the afternoons in the summer. What I mean is I'll say 1:00-2:00 puzzles, 2:00-3:00 reading, 3:00-4:00 manipulatives. Or something like that for 3 hours every afternoon. They are free to do what they want in the morning, but I generally kick them outside and they play with the neighbors.

They pretty much like the afternoon schedule, because I mix it up and try to make it fun - setting out new puzzles, etc. This is mainly with my younger two, so it's probably a bit easier. But I think you could bring out some fun toys (Legos, K'nex, baseball cards, etc.) and get him interested. He could spend an hour doing some sorts of puzzles, logic games, perplexor books.

They don't always love doing this, but I don't really give them an option. I just tell them at the beginning of the summer that I have a fun plan for them (heh heh) and here it is. And then of course they'll earn a little screen time after this.

Also, it'd probably be a good idea to ask him what fun projects he wants to work on this summer. Building a fort, putting a garden in, etc. and help him get prepared for it.

I do let them watch about 30 minutes of educational DVDs per day, and some educational software every couple of days.

Good luck! You can do it and so can they!

We put a hard limit on screen time - one hour per day, from 6-7 pm. It may be rescheduled when there is a conflict with that time, but it cannot carry over from missed days.

This has really helped them to prioritize how they want to spend their screen time, stop rushing through school work to get to it faster, and forced them to develop other interests - which they have.

that sound neat. Now I'm curious about the movie your two oldest make. Would you mind telling me more about it.

Perhaps you boy could help with it?

My oldest dd is very driven. She came up with an idea one time to make a movie based on the history we were studying that year. She learned how to use the editing software we had and movie making became her hobby. Since then, she has made 4 movies--each one longer and better. We now own a Mac complete with imovie, and we have a nice video camera. My ds does help with the movie making. He acts in it, but my oldest 2 dd's do most of the work. When they are writing script or making costumes, my younger 2 get bored. Last year, they included their cousins and friends, and just recently held their first auditions for their new movie.

Here is the trailer for the movie they made last year. It was 75 minutes long and had a blooper reel and special feature. We studied ancient history last year which you will see reflected in the trailer.

Enjoy!

Could you give more examples or ideas of hobby toys? I am looking for things for my 5 year old to do while i continue school with the older 2. He loves Lego but I am wondering what other options are out there!

Things that have been popular here...

woodworking tools and wood scraps

gardening tools and a square foot garden plot of their own

Snap Circuits

wooden blocks (We have both unit blocks and Citiblocs. My kids love these for play and are now using them to rebuild historic buildings, adding figures in for fun.)

embroidery hoops and floss (not just for girls!)

weaving (DC loved this weaving book)

for that age, the book Sandbox Scientist has lots of set-ups for young kids to entertain themselves and learn about science

musical instruments

I'm too tired to think of more now. This thread had a similar theme and some good ideas were posted.

Agree with pp about getting them OUT of the house whenever possible. Also, giving them a set time (ours is on the weekends) can help clear up any confusion about what is or isn't allowed during the day.

I am :bigear: because I read this thread on purpose because ds is just starting to go to video games whenever he is "bored". My dds can play forever, but ds loves the ipad games. T.V. is never an issue, but for ds it is so tempting to play Angry Birds or Cut The Rope. I do require a certain amount of reading time in exchange for ipad time. Just a thought.

I send mine outside. If they complain about being bored I have them do dishes / sweep / etc. I can't take them to the pool or anywhere all the time, even though we do try to go for walks and will hopefully be doing more fishing soon. They haven't actually ASKED for screens often lately. (They play well together, we have a garden, chickens, a trampoline, basket ball hoop, bicycles, swingset, sandbox -- nothing fancy of course, but plenty to do. I let them use (with Accountable Kids) 1 ticket a day for screens (about 20-30 min.); sometimes we watch Mythbusters as well.

But basically, I kick them outside to the yard.

My younger kids, 13 on down I don't have too much problem with. The youngest 3 just go outside and the 13 yo likes art/crafts/music/reading. My bigger issue is the 16 yo. The 18 & 20 yo are beyond me telling them what to do. For the 16 yo what was effective last year was working out and running, getting a job, me finding him chores and reading. The video game culture is so strong among his peers it is the default activity and nearly the sole topic of conversation when they for some reason can't be playing (for example on a camp out).

In our home we have very limited screen time. The first thing that does need to happen in order for the screen time decrease to work in our experience is there needs to be none. After two weeks of no screen time the kids had found other things to keep themselves busy that when there was screen time again they weren't interested.

Where are the screens in your home? Their location and ease of access we found has a direct connection to if they are asking for screen time or not. Our main living area is one level kids rooms, our room, living room and kitchen. The only TV is in our bedroom. The second is down in the basement.

I saw these technology punch cards the other day and we may be giving them a try soon.

Thanks for this link! I really like those and it's a great alternative to -- yet another -- sticker chart. :)

I'm glad I'm not the only one struggling with this. We watch WAY too much t.v. and I find it worse on mornings when we turn it on first thing. Then it tends to stay on alllllllll day (or it feels like it).

I will definitely be rereading this thread and checking out the suggestions!

We try to desperately decrease it.

Some of my rules:

1)You cannot have screen time first thing in the morning. Must get dressed, do chores first, eat breakfast and say good morning to each other before screen time starts

[snip]

I like that first rule.

And my girls are like this too....they BLOW THROUGH activities. Maybe reducing screen time will increase attention span... ? (or I hope so).

We have a set screen time day--Saturday. They can watch when they wake up until DH and I get up. This gives us a good chance to sleep in :)

Occasionally, we make exceptions but generally we strictly stay to the Saturday-only rule (the other exception would be educational documentaries during the week as needed).

I would caution against you (mom) feeling a need to "come up with" ways for the kids to stay entertained. That's their job, you don't need to put anything else on your plate! When kids are used to others scheduling activities for them, they lose the ability to self direct their free time, and the "I'm bored!" starts.

The initial withdrawal period is rough (around here, screens are like crack, don't know about your kids) but then the kids seem to settle down real quick. If a screen is simply not an option, they find stuff to do.

In our home we have very limited screen time. The first thing that does need to happen in order for the screen time decrease to work in our experience is there needs to be none. After two weeks of no screen time the kids had found other things to keep themselves busy that when there was screen time again they weren't interested.

Where are the screens in your home? Their location and ease of access we found has a direct connection to if they are asking for screen time or not. Our main living area is one level kids rooms, our room, living room and kitchen. The only TV is in our bedroom. The second is down in the basement.

:iagree:

Also, I remembered that when we were doing the "detox" phase that I literally had to password protect everything, until the kids could have the self control not to flip them on automatically. I still keep the computer protected, but the ipad and iphones are now unlocked, and we can trust them not to open them as soon as our backs are turned.

Listening in.

I see that most of the posters to this thread have children close in age or younger kids. My little man is 9yo and plays MMOs a lot, but for him it is not isolating. It is where he can chat with other people. He types quickly and isn't a half bad player.

Gas is too expensive to drive about and with heat, sun, and air quality summer months are not our favorite months to be outside. We will be continuing with school and we will go to the neighborhood pool some in the late afternoon, but that leaves many hours of free time. He doesn't like arts and crafts or legos. He doesn't read for fun or write stories for fun. That would be school work.

Anything I can think of for a 9yo boy is a huge mommy project. I do have a couple of those lined up, but he recognizes them as projects to do with mom and isn't overly interested. I also have a couple of weeks of indoor camps lined up.

If he sleeps for 8hrs, does school for 5hrs, spends 2hrs outside, and a couple of hours on personal hygiene, chores, and eating, that still leaves at least 7hrs. Seriously, other than screen time, what do 9yo boys do inside and alone?

2 boys are easier than 1-

Mandy

I posted a few threads the other day on the general board asking for ideas for things for the kids to do so we can limit screen time. I haven't

had a chance to buy anything yet or organize any of the ideas, however we started the new rule of no screen time before 5 PM. And they have been keeping themselves busy. The first day my 7 yo asked a few times if he could play on the computer in the afternoon but since then he has been fine. The only thing I did do to help was started off with a library trip and grabbed a few art and craft books, in addition to the books they normally take out. This weekend I want to set up an art area that is easy access to them, but other than that I am just letting them figure it out.

Edited by Quiver0f10

Listening in.

I see that most of the posters to this thread have children close in age or younger kids. My little man is 9yo and plays MMOs a lot, but for him it is not isolating. It is where he can chat with other people. He types quickly and isn't a half bad player.

Gas is too expensive to drive about and with heat, sun, and air quality summer months are not our favorite months to be outside. We will be continuing with school and we will go to the neighborhood pool some in the late afternoon, but that leaves many hours of free time. He doesn't like arts and crafts or legos. He doesn't read for fun or write stories for fun. That would be school work.

Anything I can think of for a 9yo boy is a huge mommy project. I do have a couple of those lined up, but he recognizes them as projects to do with mom and isn't overly interested. I also have a couple of weeks of indoor camps lined up.

If he sleeps for 8hrs, does school for 5hrs, spends 2hrs outside, and a couple of hours on personal hygiene, chores, and eating, that still leaves at least 7hrs. Seriously, other than screen time, what do 9yo boys do inside and alone?

2 boys are easier than 1-

Mandy

I hear ya! And, yes, 2 boys would be easier than one, or at least it seems to me because my son is the only boy in our family with a bunch of girls who like to color, draw, write, and craft. The older he gets, the more I can see he needs physical exercise and lots of it.

Okay, that's insane. Sometimes my kids get into a phase of activity hopping like that and I have to put a stop to it. I just tell them they have to choose one activity and that's all they get for an hour. I am NOT interested in cleaning up cupcakes, knitting, crafts, and outside water play all within a couple hours. No way.

Okay, that's insane. Sometimes my kids get into a phase of activity hopping like that and I have to put a stop to it. I just tell them they have to choose one activity and that's all they get for an hour. I am NOT interested in cleaning up cupcakes, knitting, crafts, and outside water play all within a couple hours. No way.

Seems like the poster of that comment has kids a lot older than yours. My DD can easily go through a similar list of activities in a day, but she's doing all the set up and clean up. I'm not involved.

My DD is 7.5, an only child, and we are homeschooling while working full time. I work from home and she has some activities during the week, but Mon and Tues are at home days. I'm available after we do our school work, but just for help/questions, not to play as I'm working by then. So, she has to entertain herself, and she has been raised with no TV, but we do use iPad and computer for school. She does not use computer outside of school time. We allow limited iPad, but it's rare that she asks.

She plays outside (building, climbing, riding her bike, rollerblading, scootering, swinging, hoola hooping, jump roping, exploring.. sometimes I work outside but often she is out there on her own). She draws, finger knits, crafts (we have a full room of supplies she can use), builds, writes stories, etc. She listens to music, dances, swings/trapeezes inside (yes we have indoor ones). I will allow her to use Walk it Out on the wii whenever she wants, but she's disinterested in any other wii games. She plays with the cats and her stuffed animals. She plays with musical instruments. She reads, reads, reads. She does the few assignments I give her.

It's extremely rare that she claims to be bored!

We just turned off the TV and said no to the computer several months ago:D;)

Of course, we supply a multitude of books, games, and drawing supplies. This past month he has read about 20 novels;)

Now several times a month (2-4) we watch a family movie. I will have him watch occasionally education specific videos such as Khan Academy.

We just implemented "read 30 mins and EARN 30 mins of tv or video game time" that has increased the reading in our house.

Right now we have alot of wandering around our house but we have a pool, a trampoline, gardening. We have friends come over to play. Lots of outdoor time!

I love this idea! Sounds like something I need to start now. Does anyone have a very active kid who struggles with doing one thing for a certain amount of time? My daughter seems to move between one activity and another every few minutes. She does have ADHD and is medicated, but I want to help her learn to stay on one activity for an increasing amount of time. If you have success stories, I'd love to hear them:001_smile:

The past 2 summers I planned out a "theme" week. We did "beach/ocean" stuff the first year and "pirate" theme last year. I filled a large plastic tub with blue colored water and added seashells, boats, etc. we invited friends over for outdoor sprinkler play time and had ocean themed snacks. We made ocean squish bags (the older neighbor girl got in on this too).

For our pirate week, the biggest hit was a large plastic tub filled with sand (from Walmart) and I hid buried treasure and added palm trees, a cannon, and shells marking the path to find the treasure. Of course we had pirate snacks and made pirate hats.

So maybe a themed week? If you have a science-minded child, maybe they would like a variety of science experiments. My son is begging to do more experiments this summer.

I have found that the best way to get rid of screen time is for everyone in the family to not have any screen time - a case of setting an example for everyone to follow. In our home all of us decided to stop watching TV. We still do have cable TV subscriptions and DH watches sporting events like NCAA and NBA tournaments and such things (along with my DS) but that is it.

For the rest of the time, we just turn off the TV and get started on another activity like music practice, Karate classes, soccer, crafts, reading library books, going for a bike ride, grocery shopping, cleaning up the house, baking cookies etc.

When DS gets bored with all of the above, we let him play some educational games on his computer for 20 minutes (using a timer). We vary the content constantly using CDs as well as online offerings like Dreambox and ETC online. It has been 6 months of no TV in our home and so far no problems.

We have been tv-free for 13 years. We do check out educational and fun dvds from the library some.

Once they get used to it, if you are consistent, they will find their own things to do and you will not have to come up with things to divert their attention....it will be their norm.

We also have Wii night on Saturday evenings.

My son earns his screen time by reading, doing extra chores, doing worksheets/flashcards, etc. I keep a jar and every time he spends an hour doing something "productive" he earns 15 mins of screen time (1 chip). Whenever he plays video games, he pays for time with chips from his jar.