Menu

What would you call a starter home?

I've always thought of them as small ranches perhaps.

I live in a raised ranch and my neighborhood is full of them. It's about 50/50 here, some young families with babies and some older couples with grown children. My best friend today was telling me that our neighborhood would be classified as starter homes.

I didn't argue....but I don't agree.

Our first and only house was a raised ranch so in our case a raised ranch was a starter home. I think that it really depends on the area. We lived in a mixed neighborhood with older and newer homes. The families, some younger and some older, were mixed as well. Around here, Northern Illinois, a raised ranch is probably considered a starter home.

Honestly, I would never call something a starter home. It implies that the home isn't good enough to live in for the rest of your life and you only bought it because you can't afford better. My parents' friends have lived in the same houses through 50 years of marriage and if they were to go on the market they'd probably be called starter homes (they're small ranches by the way, without even basements...in one case, they raised three boys and it gets so crowded still at Christmas with all their families...we're part of their family too in case you couldn't tell).

So I think it's an insulting phrase that should be banned from the vernacular, and that's why I wouldn't use it. (Also, is it any wonder so many of our generation are in so much debt? Nothing is ever good enough, big enough, etc.)

I don't think it has anything to do with the size and style of the house.

I think a starter home is one in which you first get to try your hand at home ownership...a testing of the waters so to speak. I think of it as a house that doesn't cost much for a mortgage in order that you can save, save, save while still having home ownership. I think of a starter house as the start of the building blocks in home ownership. Almost the foundation for future homes and future home ownership responsibility.

Are these homes usually older, or small or ranches? Probably. But not always. It depends on your situation when you first get one. If you lived in an apartment for 20 years and saved, perhaps your starter home is going to be larger and nicer than someone who is getting a HUD home, kwim?

Our first home was a small, 1000sf ranch with 3 br, 1 bath. We didn't really consider it a "starter home" when we bought it; it was just what we could afford at the time. We had a mix of ages in that neighborhood.

The house we live in now, we bought new, and is almost twice the size of the first one. Our agent told us the neighborhood was considered "starter homes". They are mostly 2-story homes, 1800-2600sf. Compared to what we had before, our 1800sf home is a castle. I can't imagine having lived in a home this nice when we were first married. I have seen many young couples come and go, though. Only one was a foreclosure. The rest have "moved up" and/or kept their home in our neighborhood as an investment rental.

I think it all depends on how you look at it.

I agree. OP, didn't your friend's mother even teach her "if you can't say something nice, don't say anything at all?"

Once upon a time, we used the term "starter home" to imply a house that you received "special first-time-homebuyer discount" financing for. Our first home came with the option of the then-unheard-of 5% downpayment plan, but this was only available to those who had never owned a house before - and it was an offer that was specific to that house. But, as you know, with 0% down deals and ARM's, practically anything and everything would now qualify as a "starter" home.

is a home that is on the lower end of the market in your area. A starter home in LA is going to be totally different than a starter home in a cheaper place to live. It has nothing to do with style.

And what qualifies as a starter home really depends on where you live. In general, these are going to be smaller homes, not in the greatest part of town.

By the way, we are in our 17th year in our starter home. We added on a couple rooms last year, and completely redid the backyard. It is a wonderful house, and we feel very fortunate to live here.

Michelle T

We have a 2400 sq. foot ranch with 4 bedrooms and 2 baths. Attached is a 3 car garage with a loft of about another 1,000 sq. feet that I cam currently doing over to have my school room completely out of the main house. We picked a ranch because of the 1 floor living, I have been in Capes & Ranches that are "tiny", I would consider that a starter home because of the sq. footage. I don't think of any "type" of house as a starter home, I actually thought it had more to do with the size of the home. I have been known to be wrong though:)

I don't think it has anything to do with the size and style of the house.

I think a starter home is one in which you first get to try your hand at home ownership...a testing of the waters so to speak. I think of it as a house that doesn't cost much for a mortgage in order that you can save, save, save while still having home ownership. I think of a starter house as the start of the building blocks in home ownership. Almost the foundation for future homes and future home ownership responsibility.

Are these homes usually older, or small or ranches? Probably. But not always. It depends on your situation when you first get one. If you lived in an apartment for 20 years and saved, perhaps your starter home is going to be larger and nicer than someone who is getting a HUD home, kwim?

is a home that is on the lower end of the market in your area. A starter home in LA is going to be totally different than a starter home in a cheaper place to live. It has nothing to do with style.

I agree with Janna & Mindy. Our "starter home" was a ranch with a basement, not in the coveted part of town, but because of the lower mortgage, it enabled us to get out of debt and turn a profit and buy our current home, which we plan to live in forever.

Around here, if you told a real estate agent you wanted a "starter home", the agent would have you looking at homes with 1 or 2 bedrooms, one bathroom, and the lowest price available. It would still cost you around $200,000 :eek: but would be considered something you'd want to improve on as soon as you could. :)

~Julie~

So I think it's an insulting phrase that should be banned from the vernacular, and that's why I wouldn't use it. (Also, is it any wonder so many of our generation are in so much debt? Nothing is ever good enough, big enough, etc.)

You go girl! That is absolutely spot on! The house I grew up in was 1600 s/f. We thought it was GARGANTUAN for our family of 4. Nowadays, that's considered "too small" for some single people even.

FWIW, my own house is a sheer waste of space for the three of us. I have rooms we don't use because... well, there's only 3 of us! We close off rooms in the winter because it's too expensive to keep it all heated when we're not even using the space! It is a farmhouse that was built for a large family. Apparently, about a hundred years ago, 2600 s/f was plenty for a couple, their 14 children and three grandparents. And, they didn't even have the basement back then!

Here we have super duper skinny houses with a living room, kitchen and a half bath downstairs and usually three bedrooms (very small), a regular bath and a master bath. These are called starter homes here. For many they are not really starter homes but we lived in one when we had three little ones for a while and it was much too tight for us so for us (fortunately it was a rental) it really was a starter home.

Ranch style houses are not really built here anymore (unless they are custom deals.) I think of ranch style as everything on the same level and rather wide. The only one story homes here are called "bungalows" and they almost all have finished basements.

Oh and "starter homes" start out at around $325,000 here! Crazy.

Oh and "starter homes" start out at around $325,000 here! Crazy.

Yikes!:eek: I think you could buy a whole street of houses in my little town out here for that much. The downside is that we certainly don't have the amazing job market that you guys have over there.

1100 square feet. It was what we could afford without going into much debt. That is what I would consider a starter home. A starter home is going to be different for someone on a $50,000/yr income versus someone with a $150,000/yr income. I just don't think you can specifiy a certain KIND of house as a starter home.

Aside from all that, I wish we still lived in our, "starter" home. Life was so much simpler, and it would be PAID FOR by now!!

I'm feeling a little offended by my friends comment. There's nothing wrong with my house-other than it being smaller than hers or anyone else's we know.

I know I shouldn't be easily offended but I have to admit, I do feel like I have to defend my house to her, in subtle ways. Like I'll say I love my house, which I do, and she'll reply, well, you love the memories that you have there. That kind of thing.

I feel like the starter house comment was just another dig at me.

Not that I mind, whatever! I still like my house....small, starter, whatever!!

Hey, it's great that you love your house! I've had people who hadn't seen my house or even heard much about it assume it's a starter house, and I'm in my 30s! But I've learned it's their issue if they want to walk around making insulting comments all the time. And that's what I've found...if they throw that comment out without thinking about it, they're just plain oblivious to many other social conventions too. :p

I'm feeling a little offended by my friends comment.

I know I shouldn't be easily offended but I have to admit, I do feel like I have to defend my house to her, in subtle ways. Like I'll say I love my house, which I do, and she'll reply, well, you love the memories that you have there. That kind of thing.

I feel like the starter house comment was just another dig at me.

Not that I mind, whatever! I still like my house....small, starter, whatever!!

Hugs, Julpost. Your 'friend' is definitely making a dig at you. How small minded to pick on something you don't have the ability to change at this point. For heavens' sake. I would be offended, and my reaction wouldn't be yours. I would like to confront the behavior, and stop it in its tracks.

"Yes, you're telling me this, because you want me to realize that my house is smaller and not as nice as yours? Why would you say such a hurtful thing?"

Then watch the back-pedalling, or if she's really rude, watch her lie and say you completely misunderstood her. In any case, it wouldn't happen again.

Small houses can be wonderful. I still dream about my first house that was so tiny we called it Ibsen, after his play "The Dollhouse." My Dad thought I must be making an error when I first called him and gave him the dimensions -- no, no, the lot can't be only 40 feet wide! Oh yes, it can! I loved mowing the postage stamp lawn with my push reel mower early on a Sunday morning. You could hear the birds sing while you worked.

:)

is one you buy first, then move when you outgrow it (if you do). If you start in a two bedroom townhome, then have twins and then another baby..you move - and have another baby, too (that is us). If you are in the neighboring two-bedroom townhome and have two girls who can share a bedroom - you stay, and it is your home forever (and you have a lot of $$$ saved up for college/retirement since you stayed in the townhome). These are our former townhome neighbors. :)

"Starter home" is realtor-speak for 'let's spend more money'. DH bought a starter home (aka bachelor pad before we met). We had another starter home which was slightly claustrophobic. It's a great home to begin a life, or perhaps build a life. No matter what size the building, a person's house is their home. A person shouldn't be made to feel somehow inadequate by the size of their home.