Menu

What are you doing for grade 2 reading?

Marie131

For grade 2 we have got our spelling/phonics covered, we have a writing and grammar program but I hadn't thought much about reading. Are you doing a separate reading program, just adding in some readers or doing something else? I didn't like the reading program we began this year and abandonned it early on and have only used it for their assessments so I don't know what to do for next year. Suggestions?

We tried a reading program at the beginning of the year and it didn't work out either. Now we use Pathway Readers (without the workbook- my kids LOVE these books!) to practice reading aloud, and then they have free reading for 30 minutes where they get to pick the book to read (I help guide them to good choices and then let them decide from there).

I'm not planning on anything specifically other than just lots of access to books that are at an appropriate reading level (often using various reading lists for inspiration/ideas), regular library trips, and encouraging as much reading time as possible each day. Now that he's got the mechanics of reading mostly down I just want him to have lots of practice for fluency. Most importantly though I'm hoping to really foster a love of reading at this point.

I've been wondering the same thing. This year, both girls have been doing the SL 4-5 readers, but there's not another reader package after this! I guess I'll help her choose appropriately challenging reading and have her read that for a certain length of time each day. I looked at CLE Reading 2, but it looks a lot like MCP Phonics C to me.

This year for first, we finished up phonics and then just are reading through the Sonlight readers. dd read the grade 2 readers and is now reading through the grade 3. For second grade she will use the Sonlight grade 4-5 readers, and we just started adding in some independent readers to tie into history, which we will continue next year, as well as just having lots of fun books around to choose from. Right now we do 15 minutes of reading aloud to me and then 30 minutes of independent reading. I think for second she may not read aloud to me every day, or if she does only 10 minutes or so.

• 1 month later...

We just finished up 2nd grade. At the beginning of the year, I made up a list of good literature I wanted DS to read, and then we just worked through those books at whatever pace he needed. Some went quickly, and some took longer (just reading one chapter per day). Mostly depended on his interest level. :)

I don't do lit analysis yet, and don't plan to until around 4th or 5th grade. For now, I'm just fostering that love of reading, and it is working. He reads anything and everything. :D

We do it similarly to many others. I have a "master list" that has books I want us to read divided by grade. I looked through lists from SL, HOD, VP, WTM and AO to choose my favorites. The easier ones will be assigned as readers and the more challenging will be read alouds. We don't do any lit analysis other than simple narrations for our reading notebook.

Minimum twenty minutes of free reading every day.

Reading for subject areas - so I require them to read books, usually picture books, for history and science.

That's it. Next year, I'm considering adding in more required reading for literature, but this year, I just wanted them to gain fluency and enjoy books. But some kids are beyond that point by second grade. Others aren't there yet by fourth or fifth, so I think it really depends on the child.

Like others, I've just developed a list of good books that my daughter can choose from for her assigned reading time. (I love Rivka's list!) Next year in Gr. 2 I'll probably expect her to read assigned books for about 30 minutes / day. I won't do any formal literary analysis with her, other than checking her comprehension orally and talking about any connections that she's made.

During her free time, she can read anything she chooses to.

I'll also continue our read-alouds next year, which we spend 20 - 40 minutes on each day.

We read good books instead of working through a program. We started with reading aloud (to me) only, and added in SSR as her skill improved. She still reads aloud so I can check her pronunciation, but reads on her own every day. I check her comprehension of assigned SSR books by asking her what happened in the story she just read. Some of the books are ones I choose, others are ones she has selected, usually from our home library.

I've always used CLE because I like what it covers but it's not working for my upcoming 2nd grader. :( And I think it isn't giving my children enough time to read books I want them to read.

So, I might change my approach. Rivka's list looks like a great place to start!

No curriculum here either, dd8 just reads books. In the morning it is the challenging books above grade level for 30 minutes. In the evening she reads for 1 hour a "fun" book that is at or below her reading level. We also do fluency practice every now and then, where she reads from the third McGuffey reader a passage over and over.

Ok, so my plan is having him reading aloud much of our living books that we are using for poetry, Bible, LA etc, plus I just ordered an Elson reader for him to read aloud to me. I'm going to work off the SL, VP and other reading lists for him to do silent reading and check his comprehension. We'll still be getting some phonics in through our AAS program. Does that sound good?

(I love Rivka's list!)

:D Thanks! :D

Second grade officially started this week, and Alex is three chapters in to her first choice from the assigned list, All-Of-A-Kind Family. With her reading list, she's supposed to pick a book and work through it from beginning to end before picking another one. We aren't requiring her to read for a certain amount of time or pages, but we are reminding her to read the book. When she finishes, she and I will go out to a cafe for a book discussion.

She also reads a fair amount of her own accord. Lately it's been American Girl series books and graphic novels (Farrar helped me with a great list of graphic novels, so there is much excitement at my house right now), and she's also reading book 3 of the Sisters Grimm series. On her own, Alex hops from book to book, rereads a lot, often reads below level, and often doesn't finish books. I'm hands-off about all of those choices when it comes to pleasure reading. She'll often choose to narrate her pleasure reading to me. :001_smile:

If I check out long-form picture books, fiction or nonfiction, and leave them around the house, Alex usually winds up reading them. So I try to have a good selection available to her. Sometimes I'll require something.