Menu

Can you give me a really great soup recipe?

I'm not terribly big on soup, but it's fairly cheap most of the time, and most people like it, or seem to.

I have to serve a light dinner to 8 people at my bible study group (EfM, for those of you who know what that is...:001_smile:) on Thursday.

Requirements--Not super-spicy, but not bland; gluten-free if possible; not just vegetable and not cold.

Thanks!

One of my favorites from http://www.elanaspantry.com

Thai Vegetable Soupprinter friendly

2 tablespoons olive oilir?t=elanaspantryc-20&l=as2&o=1&a=B0015MHA50

1 onion, finely chopped

2 cups sliced shiitake mushrooms, trim off bottom of stems

1 quart Pacific Foods Organic Vegetable Broth

1 cup coconut milk

1 head broccoli, trimmed and chopped

1 tablespoon fresh ginger root, minced

2 tablespoons lime juice, freshly squeezed

¼ teaspoon celtic sea salt

½ cup cilantro, minced

1. Warm oil in a large saucepan over medium heat
  2. Add onion, stirring frequently until softened, about 10 minutes
  3. Add mushrooms and saute for 5 minutes
  4. Stir in broth and coconut milk, bring to a simmer
  5. Reduce heat to medium, add broccoli and ginger and cook until broccoli is bright green, 3-5 minutes
  6. Stir in lime juice and salt
  7. Ladle soup into bowls and garnish with cilantro
  8. Serve

I don't know if you want a veggie soup recipe or not...

I usually buy a big roast on sale and cook it, add tomatoes, V8 or tomato juice, a clove of crushed garlic, salt, pepper, and frozen mixed veggies, canned, or whatever we have on hand in canned or frozen. I also usually cut up carrots and potatoes to cook at the same time I cook the roast. And add peas, green beans, lima beans, usually avoiding corn. Sometimes I add some barley if I have it too. Just a little.

Lentil soup is one of my favorite soups too.

I just cook a bag of lentils, add a clove of garlic and some tomatoes. You can add some beef if wanted.

Love it!

We love Darn Good Chili too! * that is the name of the mix. It is so easy to make and not too spicy. It may take 3-4 bags. And whatever you decide to add. We just add beef and tomatoes, and the recommended water amount.

I like it with Cornbread, but crackers will do. Grilled cheese sandwiches would also work.

Mixed bean soup would be super cheap too with cornbread and like my grandmother always did, some good greens on the side!

Good luck!

We had this yesterday and it is SUPER good. Like I immediately put it back in the rotation for next week good. I used turkey but any kind of white meat should be fine. I left out the chili-garlic sauce (my kids don't like spicy) and it is very flavorful without it, but not really spicy at all. It is very meaty, I used less meat than called for and it is still meaty enough to be a stand-alone supper. If there is other food, then I'd cut the meat in half.

It is a paleo recipe, so gluten-free, grain free, dairy free.

Coconut Chicken Soup

This one is SO EASY and everyone likes it and it's not vegetarian:

1 can Campbell's Cream of Chicken Soup

1 can Campbell's Chicken with Rice Soup

1 can water (not 2 like you might think)

Whisk together. Warm, don't boil.

Utterly reliably good. You can add some skinless, boneless chicken chunks if you want it to be hearty. Also, if you're making your own butter, using the whey instead of part or all of the water makes it even better. When I make this for company, I make my own butter and use the whey and serve crusty sourdough bread with it. And also a green salad. People always feel pampered to death when you make your own butter, and it's super easy--just process heavy cream (not ultra pasteurized) in a food processor until it separates. Then let it drain in a strainer and serve in little individual bowls, chilled in them. Ridiculously impressive.

This is my favorite soup--don't know that it fits gluten free though

32 oz chicken stock

4 c. water

salt and pepper to taste

2-3 stalks of celery sliced

1-2 gloves of garlic minced

1/4 c purple onion

8 oz of radiatore pasta--any pasta would work but this is my favorite

fresh spinach--probably about 2-3 cups

1 lb bulk sausage(jimmy dean, owens, etc.)

1 can of cannellini or great northern beans

Parmesan cheese

Cook sausage, onion and garlic together. Heat stock and water and add celery, salt and pepper. Bring the stock to a boil and add pasta. Cook pasta to al dente and then add in sausage, onion, garlic, spinach and beans. Simmer enough for the spinach to cook and the beans to warm up. Sprinkle w/parmesan cheese.

This is not GF, but could probably be made that way with a GF flour/thickener. It's is absolutely delicious, though.

Broccoli Cheddar Soup

1 tbsp. melted butter

1/2 med. chopped onion

1/4 c. melted butter

1/4 c. flour

2 c. half & half cream

2 c. chicken stock

1/2 lb. fresh broccoli

1 c. julienned carrot

1/4 tsp. nutmeg

8 oz. grated sharp cheddar

S & P to taste

1) Saute onion in butter, set aside.

2) Cook melted and butter and flour using a whisk over med. heat for 3-5 minutes. Stir constantly. Add the half & half.

3) Add the chicken stock, simmer for 20 mins.

4) Add the broccoli, carrots, and onions, cook over low heat for 20-25 minutes.

5) Add S&P. (Can be pureed in blender if you want, I don't)

6) Add cheese, melt. Stir in nutmeg.

http://www.epicurious.com/recipes/food/views/Green-Potage-20106

This is delicious. Use quality broth. If you skip the watercress, increase the spinach accordingly and add some pepper (watercress has a peppery overtone).

I first had this dish on the SS France when I was a kid, and I remembered it for years, described it, and got pointed to this recipe. I prefer shallots or leeks to the scallions, and if you don't want butter, EVOO will do, but make the broth special! I like to simmer parsley stems in the broth and strain it very clean.

This soup is my absolute favorite, and I receive requests for the recipe every time I serve this soup to a crowd. If you use mild salsa and go easy on it and the onions, it will definitely not be too spicy. It's gluten free too, but check your can of beans to make sure it doesn't say something like "modified food starch". Usually they don't, but you'd want to double check.

http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/emeril-live/tex-mex-chicken-taco-soup-recipe/index.html

Saute an onion and a few cloves of garlic in a teaspoon or so of oil (or bacon fat). Add peeled, chopped potatoes--one per person. Add enough chicken broth to cover potatoes by an inch or so. Cook until potatoes are soft. Mash or puree. Add cream or milk to thin it out to desired consistency. Add shredded cheese and chopped bacon.

You can add almost any seasonings you want to this. I add some hot sauce and fresh thyme.

Here's some soups my family love:

Corned Beef & Cabbage Soup -

Turkey Chili Taco Soup - One of my favs.

Chicken Pot Pie Soup

Spaetzle & Chicken Soup

My absolute favorite soup is Birria. It's a spicy Mexican goat soup, but I use beef and pork. I make this soup just about every Sunday, but my recipe is very different from the traditional. I add sliced carrots, a can of whole tomatoes, and little sections of corn on the cob.

Tortilla Soup! This one is a hit every time I make it. Most corn tortillas are already gluten free- but you'll want to double check that, as well as using GF stock and chicken.

It is good as is, but I've also made it with pork instead of chicken, and I've also made it vegetarian by using veggie broth and black beans.

Tortilla Soup

6 tablespoons vegetable oil [i used 3]

8 corn tortillas, chopped

6 garlic cloves, minced

1/2 cup chopped fresh cilantro

1 medium onion, chopped

1 can (28 oz) diced tomatoes, undrained

2 tablespoons ground cumin

1 tablespoon chili powder

3 bay leaves

6 cups chicken stock

1 teaspoon salt

1/2 teaspoon cayenne pepper

4 to 6 cooked chicken breast halves, shredded (about 2 cups)

Heat oil in large saucepan over medium heat. Add tortillas, garlic, cilantro, and onion. Saute 2 to 3 minutes. Stir in tomatoes. Bring to a boil and add cumin, chili powder, bay leaves, and chicken stock. Return to a boil. Reduce heat. Add salt and cayenne. Simmer 30 minutes. Remove bay leaves and stir in chicken. Reheat. Garnish with monterey jack, avocado, sour cream, and tortilla strips

Serves 6 (1.5 cup servings)