Menu

What is the protocol regarding this? (question about using For Sale Board)

I posted a book For Sale, listing a "postage paid" price of $14.

Someone PMed me asking if it was available; I said yes and gave them my PayPal account.

They purchased it for $14.

I went to address the envelope and saw they lived in another country. At the post office, they told me the cheapest they could send it was over $16!!:eek:

At that point I felt kind of stuck ... I already had the money in account. I am brand-new to PP and didn't know how to "return" the money (if that's even possible), plus the book was all packaged and ready to go, and I was standing at the post office counter ... so I just sent it.

Then I came home and PMed the buyer asking if she could re-imburse me for International shipping.

How is this normally handled? On one hand, I feel bad asking her for more money after the fact. But on the other hand, I lost money on this sale!!

I had no idea she was from another country until after she paid me.

What do people normally do, include on every "For Sale" post two prices -- one price for inside for the US, and another for outside it??

OR, do you have to clarify every single time you list something that you only sell within the continental US??

So ... lesson learned, I guess. But how is this normally handled (or, really, prevented?)

PPD prices imply postage within the U.S. She should have asked about international shipping. I doubt she will send you extra money to cover it; if she were not trying to scam you, she would have brought it up in the first place. If the same situation pops up in the future, where you see an international address after being payed, I would contact the buyer and ask for additional shipping. If she refuses, I would cancel the sale and refund her money.

I had this happen to me a few months back. The buyer paid me and I noticed after the fact. I got really worried, but when I looked up the fees on the Post Office online calculator I saw media mail was pretty much the same because it was a U.S. Territory.

I think that people should clarify that they are purchasing from abroad before making payment. That way if an adjustment needs to be made for the shipping it can. Hopefully you can come to an agreement with the buyer. Not to seem rude, but I think you should have waited to ship.

I think most of the sale posters usually state, for sale in the U.S. only? I can't remember. I know I've seen it a lot.

I agree with every other post here, that the buyer should have mentioned she was in another country. Perhaps, she knew what she was doing. I hope not, I hope she offers to reimburse you appropriately. I have lots of stuff to sell, so hope to learn from your mis-step. So sorry this happened to you.

DO tell, did she reimburse you the difference, and pay you anything for the book?

Okay, I discovered what happened.

I'm posting both because I wanted to enlighten others, and also to see if anyone has ideas how we ought to resolve this.

In the e-mail I got from PayPal when the book was purchased, it said she had paid the money and listed "Shipping Address" as an international address. No other address was anywhere in that e-mail

Today, I investigated further and logged into Paypal and went to "Transaction Details." At the top of the transaction, it again said, "Ship To Address" and listed the same international address.

BUT ... if I scrolled all the way down to that page, I saw a personal note from her saying, "Please ship it to this address instead" with a US address.

So ... she is claiming she asked me to send it to a US address. And it turns out she actually did ... but that was a note at the very bottom, and at the very TOP, in TWO separate places, it said clearly listed something else as the "Shipping Address." I didn't even see that note, until she told me about it today, and I actually went looking for it.

So ... just be aware of that kind of thing, and I guess don't assume that "Shipping Address" really means the correct shipping address.

And now ... any thoughts on how this should be handled now? Should I just eat the mistake, do you think??? Or was it reasonable for me to send it internationally? What would be the best way to resolve this??

If you send to any other address, you (seller) aren't covered by anything, not that Paypal would be very helpful. I won't send to anywhere else. See this

https://cms.paypal.com/us/cgi-bin/?cmd=_render-content&content_ID=security/seller_protection_faq

There are a few things there about confirmed address

It's certainly unfortunate you didn't see her note. It sounds like you're new to Paypal and probably could have saved yourself a lot of trouble if you'd worded your ad differently, read the transaction details, and understood Paypal usage a bit better like how to refund.

It sounds frustrating for you, but this is why one needs to be careful. It's easy to lose a lot of money on postage even domestically.

Will the buyer get the item at the address to which it was shipped? If she will, it would be a kindness on her part to reimburse you for the additional shipping, but there is nothing you can do if she doesn't. If she will not, I'm afraid there will be a loss for both of you.

For the record, I would not have shipped internationally without further communication with the buyer.

I'm posting both because I wanted to enlighten others, and also to see if anyone has ideas how we ought to resolve this.

In the e-mail I got from PayPal when the book was purchased, it said she had paid the money and listed "Shipping Address" as an international address. No other address was anywhere in that e-mail

Today, I investigated further and logged into Paypal and went to "Transaction Details." At the top of the transaction, it again said, "Ship To Address" and listed the same international address.

BUT ... if I scrolled all the way down to that page, I saw a personal note from her saying, "Please ship it to this address instead" with a US address.

So ... she is claiming she asked me to send it to a US address. And it turns out she actually did ... but that was a note at the very bottom, and at the very TOP, in TWO separate places, it said clearly listed something else as the "Shipping Address." I didn't even see that note, until she told me about it today, and I actually went looking for it.

So ... just be aware of that kind of thing, and I guess don't assume that "Shipping Address" really means the correct shipping address.

And now ... any thoughts on how this should be handled now? Should I just eat the mistake, do you think??? Or was it reasonable for me to send it internationally? What would be the best way to resolve this??

I would not do anything else (don't try to refund or ship another item, etc). You did not read the entire email, but she should have changed her ship-to address when sending payment. It's not hard to do at all.

You should eat the mistake. She did what she was supposed to do. You should have read the comments. I have had comments that have asked me not to mail for a few days since they were on vacation. Lesson learned. When you use Paypal that doesn't charge fees, there is no protection for shipping to any address.

Unfortunately, you are at fault. When the international address popped up you should have contacted the buyer immediately. The personal note portion of paypal is always at the bottom of the rest of the information. That is not the buyer's fault. You could have easily contacted the buyer at any time during this process, either when you saw the address or when you went to mail it and found out how much it cost (walk away from the counter, no one is forcing you to mail it). At this point, chalk it up to a learning experience. Sorry.

Unfortunately, you are at fault. When the international address popped up you should have contacted the buyer immediately. The personal note portion of paypal is always at the bottom of the rest of the information. That is not the buyer's fault. You could have easily contacted the buyer at any time during this process, either when you saw the address or when you went to mail it and found out how much it cost (walk away from the counter, no one is forcing you to mail it). At this point, chalk it up to a learning experience. Sorry.

:iagree:

PPD is an acronym for "postage paid domestic," I've never had anyone from outside the US try to purchase from me (on other boards) without inquiring about the true shipping cost. It's assumed you'll be paying more. I hope that she PMs you back and you can reach a happy medium!

I would not do anything else (don't try to refund or ship another item, etc). You did not read the entire email, but she should have changed her ship-to address when sending payment. It's not hard to do at all.

But see, that's what bugs me -- I DID read (and re-read) the entire e-mail. The e-mail itself said nothing about another shipping address, or needing to go read customer notes somewhere else. I mailed it to the shipping address the e-mail listed as the "shipping address."

I guess it sounds like I just have to eat this ... but I still feel like it makes sense to do what I did, given the info I received.

I've bought many things off the fs boards here, but I've always had them shipped to US addresses. And I've always told the seller that my check is being mailed from the UK and will therefore take longer to make sure they're okay with that. Your buyer should have been upfront about their situation. I hope they're willing to reimburse you the shipping costs.

I just saw your update. I think you'll have to eat the shipping costs. It's a pain that the domestic shipping address was at the bottom of the form, but she did include it. Sorry.

Edited by MeganP

If you send to any other address, you (seller) aren't covered by anything, not that Paypal would be very helpful. I won't send to anywhere else. See this

https://cms.paypal.com/us/cgi-bin/?cmd=_render-content&content_ID=security/seller_protection_faq

There are a few things there about confirmed address

It's certainly unfortunate you didn't see her note. It sounds like you're new to Paypal and probably could have saved yourself a lot of trouble if you'd worded your ad differently, read the transaction details, and understood Paypal usage a bit better like how to refund.

It sounds frustrating for you, but this is why one needs to be careful. It's easy to lose a lot of money on postage even domestically.

I always have to give a different address. For some reason, no matter what I do, PayPal keeps my parents address in their system. If I change it, it reverts back. I do always send a pm about the address.

I have also had PayPal mess up that address in an online purchase. I would suggest always confirming the address before shipping.

But see, that's what bugs me -- I DID read (and re-read) the entire e-mail. The e-mail itself said nothing about another shipping address, or needing to go read customer notes somewhere else. I mailed it to the shipping address the e-mail listed as the "shipping address."

I guess it sounds like I just have to eat this ... but I still feel like it makes sense to do what I did, given the info I received.

Oh, I misread. I thought you said the email contained this note.

I had this happen to me a few months back. The buyer paid me and I noticed after the fact. I got really worried, but when I looked up the fees on the Post Office online calculator I saw media mail was pretty much the same because it was a U.S. Territory.

I think that people should clarify that they are purchasing from abroad before making payment. That way if an adjustment needs to be made for the shipping it can. Hopefully you can come to an agreement with the buyer. Not to seem rude, but I think you should have waited to ship.

I always put "pp to continental US only."

I'm sorry your buyer wasn't more ethical.

Media mail is the same to all 50 states and, I believe, the US territories as well.

I would def. see if she will 1.) get the package, and 2.) reimburse you for the extra shipping. If she won't get the package, she'll likely file a claim from paypal, and they may refund her her money, so you'll be out the book and the shipping cost.

I don't include shipping, and I ask for a zip code to get a shipping quote. It's the easiest way to "verify" right off the bat its in the US.

I always ship to the PAYPAL confirmed shipping address. That is the only way to get seller/buyer protection. If they asked me to send it to a different address, I would probably send them an email telling them the difference, etc.

I would have just left the post office, and contacted the buyer again to verify the address & update the shipping costs. In the future, you can buy postage directly on paypal too. It is great.

PPD prices imply postage within the U.S. She should have asked about international shipping. I doubt she will send you extra money to cover it; if she were not trying to scam you, she would have brought it up in the first place. If the same situation pops up in the future, where you see an international address after being payed, I would contact the buyer and ask for additional shipping. If she refuses, I would cancel the sale and refund her money.

:iagree: