Menu

Honda CR-V died. We need a mini-van. Tired of things that aren't reliable. Help!

We have a 1993 Toyota Previa. It has 225000 miles on it and is still going strong. It has only needed minor repairs. When we were buying 10 years ago, dh did a lot of research and the Previas (while very ugly) were the most reliable over time. It can be hard to find them used because nobody wants to part with them.

Oh, and it's AWD. I live in a place where it snows and where it's very hilly, and I've only slid 3 times in 10 years.

Second Toyota Previas/Siennas!!

We are diligent (sort of) with our maintenance, always use full synthetic oils, change it often, change timing belt/hoses at 100k, flush the engine and radiator about every 60k...replace spark plugs as needed, usually once every 100k....never have had any repairs outside of maintenance.

Our 13 year old Sienna has 210,000 miles on it....just now are we replacing the original rear brakes!! I just LOVE it!! My husband is itching to put it out to pasture, but I think it has another 200k in it! Saves us a new car payment! :)

We purchased a 2000 Sienna 12 years ago yesterday. it has 165,000 miles on it and runs great. Replacing some minor issues but nothing major. We have driven it across the country a few times, New england, and Florida. It has never let us down.

We've had minivans before, about a decade ago. Although we like them, the Dodge/chrysler/plymouth models had a reputation for bad transmissions. We gave up on the minivans, after two different ones with bad transmissions, and dh got a Dodge truck, only to find out it had the same transmission (which went bad). We buy used, fyi. We currently own Chevy/GMC products, both with high miles and no transmissions issues. (knock on wood)

Toyotas are notorious for long lives. But, just to throw another option your way, I am currently driving a Kia Sedona that has almost 140,000. The only major repair we've had to have done on it is a wire/cord/thing in one of the automatic doors. Nothing under the hood but oil changes and replacing the battery.

How many miles on your Honda?

Hi Denise, it is at 135,000. The cost of the transmission rebuild is $3000.00 -$3500.00 or we can buy a used tranny that we have no idea what condition it is in and pay $2000 - 2500 to have it put in. In the tri-county area, only the dealers can do foreign car repairs. None of the local transmission shops work on foreign models. Of course, dealerships charge far more money than independent shops. At any rate, we are looking at $2500.00 - 3000.00 and the blue book on it is only $4000.00. It's not worth doing.

So, we have to shop. Dh is leaning towards a Chevy Express van (used to be called Chevy Beauville) because my parents have them for their business and routinely drive 250,000.00 on them and NEVER do anything but routine maintenance. One of theirs has 345,000 miles and still hasn't needed a transmission or engine repair.

My hesitation is that a. I have to drive something big, rides and handles like a truck, and won't fit into any of these small, rural parking places without a magic wand and a lot of sweat and b. the gas mileage will be only 14-15 around town and 18 on the highway if we are lucky. This means that I've got to NOT drive much at a time in my life when I'm hectically busy, and when I do, try to take our very old Ford Taurus. I will say this for the Taurus - it has 175,000 miles on it while it constantly vexes us with little repairs (thing goes through brake pads like my kids go through pizza), we've never had to do a thing to it that cost us a lot of money. But, that means I can't take the boys around. Ds's classical guitar/case just barely fits in the back seat. So, the other two ds's can't go with me when I am out for his lesson or at times when I'm doing science projects at school and I'd like them to help (all three of them have at different times partnered up with high schoolers that need help and tutored them). I can't even take my science equipment/supplies and the boys in that car. In that instance, I either pay the gas or I don't take the along. I feel like I'm being very limited. The CRV got 26.53 miles to the gallon consistently...I could put ds's guitar in the cargo area and all three boys were fairly comfortable in the back if dh is along or eldest sits up front and then the other two are very happy in the back seat.

As much as we liked the CRV, dh says "NO!" to another one because our insurance company charged us a boatload to insure it (which makes me nervous about getting a Toyota Sienna even though I feel like that may be the way to go) and the repair shops either won't touch them or if they do, the parts are exorbitantly priced.

ARGHHHHHHHH! This was not what we needed right now because we have to buy under a great deal of pressure. The rocket team and all of their gear has to be hauled to a lot of events this month and then to Virginia in May. We can't borrow a vehicle and some of the parents' work schedules do not allow them to transport their children and the gear to these events. The team is fundraising all of the costs of the Virginia trip and our gas for these other trips with the understanding we were doing the driving along with my folks and their mini-van. The Taurus just doesn't have enough room to be the second vehicle. We only have until Friday to get a car. Thankfully, our bank likes us so much that when it comes to a car loan we call and three hrs. later they have the paperwork ready for us to sign. That part will go quickly once we find whatever lousy, piece of junk (yeah, okay, I'm in a bad mood about this) we are going to buy.

Call me Mrs. Sour Grapes. I hate cars.

Faith - Thanks everyone for your help.

Edited by FaithManor
spelling

Actually...I have been driving a Chevy Express (15 passy) for about 7 years now. It does NOT drive like a truck. It drives like a car. It sits lower to the ground and it's rear axle (on the ext version) is set further back than most 15 passy vans so it feels much more like a car and you also do not get that *lurching* feeling when you take a curve with any speed.

It has been a wonderful vehicle. We only have 6 kids and won't be having more, but when we were shopping for an 8 passenger vehicle, this was cheaper and with NO mileage than all the other 8 passy vehicles we looked at.

Gas is not cheap, but it could be worse. :tongue_smilie: We get about 15 in town and I'm not sure on trips, but the cruise control helps.

I DO get tired of some parking situations, but I have mastered parallel parking and vying for the closest spot at the grocery store. :001_smile:

What reason did your insurance give for charging a lot for the CRV? We bought one 2 years ago, and it was no different than any other vehicle we've insured. *curious*

Cost of body work and repairs in the area. It's 60 miles to the nearest Honda dealership and none of the independents will touch many of the foreign cars. We didn't know that when we bought it. So, essentially the insurance says that it costs them a LOT more money to pay claims on foreign cars even though the safety ratings tend to be much better.

Faith

We have a 2004 Honda Odyssey that I have driven 230,000 miles (turned today). The only things we have done to it are normal maintenance, 3 sets of brakes, oil changes, tires and replaced the timing belt at 100,000 and 200,00 miles. It has been the best vehicle I've owned.

We're trading it this week for a newer model Odyssey because we are making a trip to Cape Cod in about 3 weeks and my husband wants something newer to make the 1100 mile (each way) trip. We're also trading because he tells me that at some point, with the mileage that I've put on it, things will start breaking and better to get rid of it now than when it starts falling apart.

I'm going to miss my old van!

We are a two minivan family, and though no one here has had much to say about them, we have Chryslers. One has 225,000 miles and the other has 148,000.

I'd buy another in a heartbeat. Not a single major repair, about the only thing we have had to do was a timing belt on one. Standard stuff like brake pads, normal maintenance, etc. What I REALLY like is that our van with 225,000 runs just as good, just as strong, as our lower mileage van (which is still high mileage). You'd never know it had that many miles on it.

Cindy

Faith, I am really surprised the transmission already gave on your CRV. Was this a used vehicle? I wonder if something happened before you purchased it. I have always heard Honda and Toyota are the best to own for reliability. We went with Honda because of all the issues Toyota recently had. We actually own one of both, a Honda and a Toyota. Two Toyotas, really, both older models so they never had any of the current issues.

I didn't check into the CRV, but I did research the Pilot and it had impeccable maintenance and reliability records. I had horrendous issues with the three Chevy's and one Ford I owned. I, personally, feel a better quality to a Honda over the American brands.

We definitely paid more insurance for our Suburban than we did for the Pilot, and that was with my older model Suburban.

I hope you can find a good quality, used van. I have heard that with the Toyota and Honda vans they are very rare to find because people love them and run them into the ground. I noticed my 2007 Pilot sold quickly.

You are in a very tough place. I do hope you can find something you'll be happy with.

For gear alone, consider something to tow behind you or a Thule (I think that's what they're called) above. It doesn't have to be big, but this may expand your choices more?

The extra money for gas prices is something to really consider.

Have you checked for a new model Sienna, one totally stripped with without many options? Would you need 4wd since it's already front wheel drive?

:grouphug:

2004 Toyota Sienna with 195,000 miles, bought used, had previously been owned by friends. Even though they did not do the best maintenance, it is still going strong.

I stay right on top of my maintenance.

My husband neglects all his cars. It drives me CRAZY! Still, his Corolla had 230k miles on it and it still ran fine, just needed a starter. Dh just stopped driving it when he got his Camry, which is just as neglected.:glare: Runs fine.