Menu

Laundry--how do you get yours smelling NICE?

I have LG front loader machines and my laundry is CLEAN. It just doesn't have the nice SMELL that so many others seem to have with their laundry.

I have:

Tide with Downy

Downy

Downy dryer sheets

even using all 3, my laundry smells clean but not NICE. Any hints for me?

I have LG front loader machines and my laundry is CLEAN. It just doesn't have the nice SMELL that so many others seem to have with their laundry.

I have:

Tide with Downy

Downy

Downy dryer sheets

even using all 3, my laundry smells clean but not NICE. Any hints for me?

Ok, I'll tell you what I do. I do a double dose of downy. I've noticed that the Lavender Downy seems to smell stronger in the clothes, but they all smell great. Sometimes I even "accidentally" spill some over into the detergent as well!:D I love that my kids say, "Mom, I love how our clothes smell," and "No one's clothes and towels smell like ours!" I'm a sucker for that. The downy is pricey, but my home and my responsibilities here are my "canvas". It's where I express myself so I like to put a lot into it-even the little things like laundry! Btw, I also use the downy dryer sheets. HTH!

I put one drop of essential oil on an old flannel cloth diaper wipe and toss it into the dryer with the clothes. Love it!

WOW that sounds like a good idea!

I used to LOVE the clean laundry smell but over the last couple of years I'm trying to go more natural/less chemicals.

Which oils do you use?

where do you get them?

This may or may not help you, but when we purchased our washer and dryer the salesperson was EMPHATIC that you only use 1 tablespoon of detergent with the front loading washers, it has something to do with the amount of water that the machines use. She told us that if we found the clothes weren't smelling nice after a few months to make sure that:

1. We were only using this amount of detergent

2. To run a rinse only/clean cycle to fully rinse the washer of any residual soap scum that may be getting onto the clothes.

Maybe this will help?

I think it depends on what smells nice to you. To me, laundry dried in the sun and wind smells heavenly, while highly perfumed laundry is a one-way ticket to a migraine. I have been known to get a headache just from standing behind someone in a grocery-store checkout line who used too much fabric softener. :( On the other hand, I know people with pollen allergies who could never handle clothes dried on an outdoor line.

I had a friend who put a washcloth with a drop of essential oil, not in the dryer, but in the corner of her dresser drawer. It left a light but pleasant scent.

FWIW, I recently talked with another Mom who also has a front-loader. Her front-loader, she found out, was covered with mold inside (where she couldn't see it) and also mold built up on the door, gasket, etc. Her young son had had many types of health problems for years, and finally they pinpointed it to a mold allergy, which was coming from their front-loader!!

I also have a problem with mold/mildew build-up and I notice that since I have a front-loader, my clothes don't smell nice either. I think it's from mold/mildew inside as well. Apparently, there is something in the instruction manual (which I admit, I didn't read clear through) about running a bleach cycle every so often to keep this from happening. But, even so, it seems from the way these washers are designed, it could easily build up this moldy stuff.

So, I am convinced my laundry "smell" comes from this mold and I'm a little disgusted about it. I haven't been happy with my front-loader for many reasons and that's one of them.

For nicer smelling clothes, I add about a cup of white vinegar to the fabric softener cup. That makes the biggest difference for me.

I think it depends on what smells nice to you. To me, laundry dried in the sun and wind smells heavenly, while highly perfumed laundry is a one-way ticket to a migraine...

I had a friend who put a washcloth with a drop of essential oil, not in the dryer, but in the corner of her dresser drawer. It left a light but pleasant scent.

ITA. I can't stand the laundry detergent smell anymore now that we haven't used them in years. And what a great idea! I'm more likely to remember to do that than I am to remember to bring the EO down to the laundry room. Thanks!

WOW that sounds like a good idea!

I used to LOVE the clean laundry smell but over the last couple of years I'm trying to go more natural/less chemicals.

Which oils do you use?

where do you get them?

I PMed you, but in case anyone else is wondering too:

The EO scent is strong when the clothes come out of the dryer, and fades quite a bit, but still lingers just enough for my taste

You can buy good ones at Vitaglo.com (free shipping on a $50 purchase, but very no-frills site) or Vitacost.com (terrific site, $5 shipping on any order, great vitamin/supplement selection, often coupons if you go to Retailmenot.com and look; they also give ebates through ebates.com).

You could also put the drops on a washcloth too--I just happen to have lots of diaper wipes left over! I prefer lavender and lemongrass, but there are SO many luscious ones to choose from.

FWIW, I recently talked with another Mom who also has a front-loader. Her front-loader, she found out, was covered with mold inside (where she couldn't see it) and also mold built up on the door, gasket, etc. Her young son had had many types of health problems for years, and finally they pinpointed it to a mold allergy, which was coming from their front-loader!!

:eek: :ack2: I need a "shuddering and barfing" smiley here. How awful!

Ok, I'll tell you what I do. I do a double dose of downy. I've noticed that the Lavender Downy seems to smell stronger in the clothes, but they all smell great. Sometimes I even "accidentally" spill some over into the detergent as well!:D I love that my kids say, "Mom, I love how our clothes smell," and "No one's clothes and towels smell like ours!" I'm a sucker for that. The downy is pricey, but my home and my responsibilities here are my "canvas". It's where I express myself so I like to put a lot into it-even the little things like laundry! Btw, I also use the downy dryer sheets. HTH!

We love the lavender Downy too. My dd picked out a different scent this last time, and as soon as it's gone, I'm going back to the lavender.

I have a child who is allergic to all perfumes, dyes, etc. in laundry detergent, so we have to use ALL free and clear, which smells clean, but doesn't have a real fragrance, per se.

Dh brought home a bag of clothes that a girl in his office gave my oldest daughter, and the fruity smell was so strong that I had a headache for two days. I had to wash every piece of clothing (large garbage bag full) twice to get that smell out.

I like the white vinegar for a super-clean smell, and it also rinses away detergent residue. If I'm doing a load of just mine and dh's sheets, which our son won't be sleeping on, I'll add a few drops of vanilla essential oil on a rag in the dryer. Heavenly.

I just saw this...

http://www.frontloadwasherclassaction.com/

Front Loading Washing Machines manufactured and/or sold by Whirlpool, Kenmore, and LG Electronics - Class Action Law Suit

Welcome to Shepherd, Finkelman, Miller & Shah, LLP’s (“SFMSâ€) website for its investigation of front-loading washing machines.

frontLoading_03.jpgSFMS is currently investigating defects and other problems in certain front-loading washing machines manufactured and/or sold by Whirlpool, Kenmore, and LG Electronics, including Kenmore Elite HE3 front load washers, Whirlpool Duet front load washers and LG Tromm, LG XL and other LG model front load washers, which result in the growth of mold/mildew in the machines and which can cause the staining of clothes and other problems.

On August 29, 2007, SFMS filed a Complaint against Sears Holding Corp. involving its Kenmore HE, HE2, HE3, HE4, HE5 and other front-loading automatic washers. Please click here to download a pdf file of that Complaint. The Complaint was filed in the United States District Court for the Northern District of Ohio and alleges causes of action for breach of express and implied warranty.

If you own a front-loading washing machine that is manufactured by any of the above-mentioned companies and are experiencing the growth of mold/mildew in the machine, please submit a complaint here.

I have finally rid our linen closet and drawers of musty odors. When I open the linen closet, I'm greeted with the scent of freshly Downy-ed linens and towels. Our unmentionables and socks, and white t-shirts and pajamas stay fresh smelling, and as a result, our colors and jeans don't take on a musty scent.

I wash ALL bedding, towels, underclothes, socks, pajamas, and undershirts in HOT water. I rinse in cold, but wash these things in...HOT.

I line dry blankets, mattress covers, and rugs. But the sheets, towels, underthings, etc...are dried in the dryer on HIGH.

That's it. No extra detergent (I use way less than what the box says to) or fabric softener (I use less of that, too).

:)

That reminds me, thanks Parrothead, I use oxyclean in the hot cycles.

I've used scent free detergents for many, many years. to me laundry should have no smell. my mom used to comment that my towels didn't smell clean. after a bit of discussion i figured out that what she meant was my laundry didn't smell like Tide. if i visit friends for long vacations and need to use their laundry stuff, i usually feel compelled to wash all my clothes, clean or not, when i get home in order to get rid of the detergent odor.

we all have our preferences but i really do think the detergent industry has sold us a load of nonsense in terms of that 'clean laundry' smell.

Amway laundry products. They're economical, environmentally friendly, and wonderful for folks with allergies (dh breaks out with every other laundry product on the market), and they keep your machine clean as well as your clothes.

Amway laundry products. They're economical, environmentally friendly, and wonderful for folks with allergies (dh breaks out with every other laundry product on the market), and they keep your machine clean as well as your clothes.

These were given a high rating at ComsumerReports.org.

my home and my responsibilities here are my "canvas". It's where I express myself so I like to put a lot into it-even the little things like laundry!

Wow, that is a GREAT statement! Inspiring, even. I need to print it off and put it somewhere prominent.

Thank you.

I just saw this...

http://www.frontloadwasherclassaction.com/

Front Loading Washing Machines manufactured and/or sold by Whirlpool, Kenmore, and LG Electronics - Class Action Law Suit

Welcome to Shepherd, Finkelman, Miller & Shah, LLP’s (“SFMSâ€) website for its investigation of front-loading washing machines.

frontLoading_03.jpgSFMS is currently investigating defects and other problems in certain front-loading washing machines manufactured and/or sold by Whirlpool, Kenmore, and LG Electronics, including Kenmore Elite HE3 front load washers, Whirlpool Duet front load washers and LG Tromm, LG XL and other LG model front load washers, which result in the growth of mold/mildew in the machines and which can cause the staining of clothes and other problems.

On August 29, 2007, SFMS filed a Complaint against Sears Holding Corp. involving its Kenmore HE, HE2, HE3, HE4, HE5 and other front-loading automatic washers. Please click here to download a pdf file of that Complaint. The Complaint was filed in the United States District Court for the Northern District of Ohio and alleges causes of action for breach of express and implied warranty.

If you own a front-loading washing machine that is manufactured by any of the above-mentioned companies and are experiencing the growth of mold/mildew in the machine, please submit a complaint here.

We just got rid of our Kenmore, because the dryer line was leaking. It was only six mos. old. I had a heck of a time exchanging it with Sears. And guess what I got. Whirlpool Duet.

It works okay so far, but clothes are getting stained mysteriously.

Jet

I've used scent free detergents for many, many years. to me laundry should have no smell. my mom used to comment that my towels didn't smell clean. after a bit of discussion i figured out that what she meant was my laundry didn't smell like Tide. if i visit friends for long vacations and need to use their laundry stuff, i usually feel compelled to wash all my clothes, clean or not, when i get home in order to get rid of the detergent odor.
:iagree:

My throat actually starts itching when I walk down the detergent aisle in a grocery store.

I used to use Tide and Gain and could never get that pretty smelling clean clothes. Well my moms clothes always smelt so great, so finally I switched to ERA laundry detergent, downy -lavender, and downy lavender dryer sheets. Now my laundry smells great all the time. Also ERA seems to get out the yuck better on my boys clothes.