Menu

I'm starting to feel like dictation is not enough for spelling

JessReplanted

My son's spelling is atrocious. I think that most of the time his spelling is so poor because he is rushing. We're using HOD, and have not been using an additional spelling program. And now I'm starting to wonder if we should have added spelling to our routine a long time ago. But honestly, I also wonder if having lists of spelling words would really make any difference. We have tried it in the past, and he never seemed to retain very much.

Thoughts??

This may be a silly question, but are you teaching spelling as part of the dictation process? I assume this is for your 9yo? My fourth grader does Day-by-Day dictation 4th year every day. Before I dictate to her, she reviews the passage. I teach any spelling that she believes she will have trouble with, and then I leave her to study the passage. When she's ready, she writes it from dictation.

When she writes, she often misspells words the first time, but when we review the drafts, she often knows how to spell the same words. It's like her spelling brain and writing brain don't always intersect in the process of getting words to paper.

This may be a silly question, but are you teaching spelling as part of the dictation process? I assume this is for your 9yo? My fourth grader does Day-by-Day dictation 4th year every day. Before I dictate to her, she reviews the passage. I teach any spelling that she believes she will have trouble with, and then I leave her to study the passage. When she's ready, she writes it from dictation.

When she writes, she often misspells words the first time, but when we review the drafts, she often knows how to spell the same words. It's like her spelling brain and writing brain don't always intersect in the process of getting words to paper.

:iagree: I use both list and dictation. For oldest Ds we do studied dictation (from Spelling Wisdom). For my younger ds we do dictation for review (out of spelling plus dictation book or made up sentences using current list). I pull list out of several books I have on hand (spelling plus, CHC Catholic Speller, and Spelling Power is on order). I have a spelling problem and like several program. :lol:

I am in the same boat with my youngest son. My oldest used several years of Rod & Staff and he is now an excellent speller. He just uses the studied dictation in HOD's Creation to Christ. My youngest used two years of Rod & Staff and even though he always did very well on the spelling tests he would quickly forget the words. I decided to drop it and he has been using the dictation in Bigger Hearts this year. He's doing o.k. with it but I am beginning to regret dropping the formal spelling. I think he's just one of those kids who is going to need more. He is a strong reader but not at all confident with spelling. Alot of times he can spell the words he wants to write if I just force him to try but he lacks confidence and doesn't usually want to try. I think the studied dictation has been good and he is improving but I think he needs something else. I'm just not sure what!

I purchased AAS Level 1 last fall and ended up not using it because I just didn't think he needed to start at Level 1 when he had had some instruction in the past. Now, I wish we had just used it alongside the dictation in Biggers. I honestly don't know where to go from here! I pulled out Rod & Staff and I just don't think it is going to be the thing for him. It is tedious and I just have a gut feeling it's not going to be the approach that he needs.

:confused: <<<<......... confused!!

We use the dictation in HOD, along with AAS and R&S Spelling by Sound and Structure. The combination has done a world of difference for our ds. I don't think it's overkill, as the dictation only takes us a few minutes, R&S takes 5 (or at most 10) minutes and AAS takes as long as we want it to take. Since I'm doing HOD and AAS, for the most part I let my ds do R&S independently. When we do dictation, I use the AAS tiles to form words that I think might be tricky for him and I remind him of the rules he's learned.

Some children just aren't naturally spellers and need DIRECT instruction. Like my kids :). We use AAS too - works awesome! Teaches spelling explicitly and through phonics - NOT through random lists (which doesn't work as far as I'm concerned). I see my oldest applying what she learns to words we haven't studied directly, and THAT is how I know that teaching spelling conceptually works for her. Maybe for your son too?

All About Spelling is a good program, but I also wanted to mention that we now use Sequential Spelling. SS uses word "families" and it has really helped my dyslexic daughter- she doesn't do well with having to memorize spelling words.

Good luck with finding a good match for your family!

We use Spelling Plus with the Dictation bok by Susan Anthony. All lists are done by rules. The dictation only uses words and rules studied. It breaks down homophones as well.

:iagree:

It is a great book. I recommend it for many of my remedial students. It is based on rules and patterns and focuses on the most common 1,000 words.

Thanks for the feedback! We did try sequential spelling last year, and ended up dropping it because it just didn't make sense to my son. I'll look into a spelling program for next year. Honestly, I just dread adding one more thing to our school day, but I know it's important. :tongue_smilie:

Another AAS fan! I would give up everything else we use to educate before I changed spelling programs. AAS transfers across the curriculum and my son rarely makes spelling errors. My son quickly lost interest in the tiles, so we dissect and build using a whiteboard and/or a spelling notebook instead. But it hasn't changed how well it teaches spelling.

I purchased AAS Level 1 last fall and ended up not using it because I just didn't think he needed to start at Level 1 when he had had some instruction in the past. Now, I wish we had just used it alongside the dictation in Biggers.

:confused: <<<<......... confused!!

If you bought from AAS, they have a 1-year, 100% satisfaction guarantee--it's returnable.

I tried starting my kids in L2, but then realized they needed some content from L1. They didn't need the whole thing, but it really was important to lay the groundwork, and it only took 3 weeks to fast track through 1 and go on to 2. So...if you are wanting to try it, go ahead. You don't have to make your son spell all of the easy words. Teach the concepts and have him demonstrate back to you, and move on if he has the words memorized. Knowing "cat" and "kid" doesn't mean a child knows why one uses C and the other uses K, or that the same rules apply to longer and harder words. So...if he doesn't know the concepts, give it a try. You can still return it if it's not a good fit, but if it is, you can fast track and get on to higher levels once you've laid that solid foundation. HTH some! Merry :-)

My kids were 9 & 11 when we started AAS, and it's made a huge difference for them. I wrote more about it on my blog. It's worth trying (I took the chance because of the 1-year guarantee!). Merry :-)

Hi there, Merry. I was wondering about All About Spelling and if you have to buy all the components to be able to use it. I would like to combine it with studied dictation for my fourth grader next year. Maybe right away for my third grader lol I'm a stickler about spelling and a natural speller in all four languages I know, so I don't get why ds doesn't naturally get it or how to make the rules stick. They all come naturally to me :)

Edited by sagira

This.