Menu

Can dd and I learn to knit on our own?

mo2

I taught myself to knit a few years ago, entirely from books. (I knew no one that knitted and have never crocheted or sewn).

I really found these helpful:

Kids Knitting: Projects for Kids of all ages (Melanie Falick)

Knitting Basics (Betty Barnden)

I also used:

The Everything Knitting Book (Jane Eldershaw)

Knitting Pretty (Kris Percival)

I also spent time perusing knitting forums and such. But the first 2 books were the most helpful for me.

someone here linked the art of knitting: http://www.amazon.com/Knitting-Kids-Leisure-Arts-4406/dp/B000PGTF2I/ref=sr_1_sc_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1332888443&sr=8-3-spell

I taught myself with a combo of this: http://www.amazon.com/Kids-Knitting-Projects-all-Ages/dp/1579652417/ref=pd_cp_mov_0 and knitting help.com years ago but I don't think the book is all that great now that I look at it :)

You can teach yourself to knit with the videos.

Another good resource is a good yarn shop. Most will have a table and chairs where you are welcome to sit and work. The sales staff, usually the owner, will help you when they have time.

You need to buy your yarn there to use this service. If you can find one I would just but needles etc. And have them get you started. That way you can go back and ask questions.

I started teaching myself from online sources a few years ago, before I got too busy to continue. I did manage to finish a scarf before I gave it up -- that was after a couple of weeks of watching and reading how it was done.

The hardest part for me was sorting out if I wanted to learn the continental or English style. I found that I preferred to knit continental, but purl English (or was it the other way around? :tongue_smilie:). Anyway, just be aware that there are multiple "styles" out there!

Good luck :001_smile:

Edited by Kebo

Local yarn shop is a #1 choice. My other suggestion is to grab a children's book on how to knit. Quite often children's "how to" books are so much more simple and leave out all the extra mumbo jumbo that you don't really need. I love knitting and I hope you'll learn how to do it. My girls loved to knit while I read out loud to them. Now I should knit while they read out loud to me!

I had in person someone teach me to cast on, purl, knit, and one way to cast off. I then used http://www.knittinghelp.com and youtube. Ravelry was after I learned to knit. I was able to sell my knits just from mostly videos so you can do it!! The hardest part is figuring out which kind of knitter you are and making sure you don't twist your stitches :)

Mindset and patience. Don't go into it wanting to make something, just do the knit stitch over and over and it will become more natural the more you do it. What I love about knitting is that you may learn one or two new things each time you knit a new pattern and then you have more skills under your belt

I find the illustrations (drawings) in the Vogue Knitting Book to be the most helpful. Check to see if your library has any books for you to check out. WHen you find one you like perhaps you could buy it. I found the Vogue book at Barnes and Nobles about 5 years ago.

Yes you can, but a session or 2 with an expert would help you make sure that you are not on the wrong path. I just bought a used copy of Kids Learn to Crochet. It is GREAT! I plan to buy the knitting book soon. I am a "monkey-see-monkey-do" style learner. This book has enough pictures in it that I can visually see how it is done. I would recommend checking out this knitting book.

http://www.amazon.com/Kids-Learn-Knit-Lucinda-Guy/dp/1570763356/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1332955026&sr=8-1

I can't steer you to a specific book but I have always been amazed at the amount of free stuff on the internet. You tube videos/tutorials, etc. Add those in to some books from a library and I bet you guys could tackle it together.

:iagree: this summer, I decided I wanted to learn to knit (go figure because I have no domestic skills at.all...). I used you tube and also had a friend who is an amazing knitter walk me through the couple of questions I had. Now, I can figure out most of the intermediate patterns when I need to. If you run across something you don't know, just google it, and you will probably find a YouTube video on it. (just be prepared to "frog" - :)rriipppitt - a few things while you are picking up the basics)