Menu

Thoughts on Faith

I used to go to a church (Southern Baptist) that believed that the bible was the to be read literally. I struggled with this for a long, long, time. For one, I can't believe in the 7 day creation. And the Old Testament is full of hate and I can't understand why a loving God would *want* this to happen. I'm slowly coming to the conclusion that it wasn't really God who told these people what to do or to kill, but rather it was peoples interpretation.

I'm also very tired of if you are true christian you will do X,Y, and Z. I'm tired of hearing of a literal hell, I'm leaning towards there is no literal hell.

And I'm sick of hearing just because you're Mormon, Jewish, or (insert whatever) you are not a true christian.

I think I just kinda want to to my own thing. Believe in God and that God is love and the rest doesn't matter.

If you believe in God but do not go to church or read the bible, how is that working out for you?

I think I am in a similar spot as you. I was raised Catholic, but my husband was raised with no formal religion. My parents were very involved in several Catholic churches and there was always politics, which eventually just turned me off. When we had kids, I wanted us to all go to church together and my husband just wasn't into the Catholic thing because of everything in the news...We ended up finding a wonderful Presbyterian church. We got involved, our kids attended Sunday school. Getting involved...politics, again...people didn't like the Pastor and asked for his removal; people with a lot of money wanted certain things and since they give a lot of money...well, those things happen; there seems to a lot of ego. We started looking for another church but my girls were raised in this church. They are in the choir and youth group...and they didn't want to change. So, they go to choir and we go to church when they sing. My older daughter was recently sort of not so into youth group, as it got very clique-y and the youth pastor sort of encourages that.

I read Bible stories to my girls and we pray.

For much of my adult life, I have felt the Bible is great stories...great examples or interpretations...like any other great piece of literature there is something timeless about it, something that people from any century can learn from. I think having a good relationship with God can be something really personal. I think there is too much ego and politics in churches sometimes and that detracts from the real message of God.

It's funny because I do feel like I have a good relationship with God and I talk to people about it. I am sure they are surprised that I am no longer active in a church.

I think it just makes you not a fundamentalist or otherwise conservative Christian. You could look into the Anglican or Methodist churches, I think. The less fundamentalist churches don't tend to harp on hell, or Biblical literalism/YEC, or the state of Mormons' souls. (I'm Mormon and we don't do those things either, except that last one, which is actually our job. ;))

If you believe in God but do not go to church or read the bible, how is that working out for you?

We kind of tried that for awhile. At some points, we didn't go to church and at others, we went but without a commitment to it. Nothing seemed to fit, so we tried to figure stuff out on our own. Which worked in one way, but didn't work in too big of another way. We finally realized that we were extremely tired of trying to figure it all out, and we just wanted to rest in the arms of the Church. It IS Christ's Body afterall. I think we were made for relationship with the Church -- not just for connection with others, but for our own soul's sake, too.

That's where we arrived, anyway. :grouphug: :grouphug: :grouphug:

Edited by milovaný

Love Wins is a book that really spoke to me. I'm UU, but not Christian, or even theist really, but I still found the book to be very inspiring and though-provoking.

You might enjoy it as he [Rob Bell, the author] tries to show that G-d is a loving g-d, that Jesus would not approve of a lot of the things done in His name, and that faith doesn't have to be scary to make us good people.

I think that you can still read the bible without having to subscribe to someone else's interpretation...I think the advantage to leaving organized christian religion but still believing in God and Jesus is that you can make up your own interpretations to the bible that fit your personal beliefs and then find a place (whether church or home) that fits your personal beliefs.

We haven't been in church for about 4 years. I'm in a better place spiritually than I've been in a while. God and I are doing fine.:tongue_smilie: I don't feel sadness about not being in church, although we will probably start again at some point.

Right now the only reason I'd go is for the socialization opportunities and that just feels hypocritical, so I don't go.

I have immense trust issues due to our last church experience. There's probably a few years of needed therapy in that previous statement. :tongue_smilie:

Anyway I have issues. I want to walk into a church experience and be able to worship God and open myself to being a part of community. Right now I can't do that. I don't know that I ever will again. It just is what it is. I don't feel separated from God in any way though. I just don't go to church.

Edited by elegantlion
removed personal information

We have ended up at a United Church of Christ church (liberal denomination), plus I read a lot of liberal Quaker books and some of the Edgar Cayce materials.

I have ended up with what I think is a liberal Quaker belief...to focus on the commandments Jesus gave (Love the Lord your God...love your neighbor as yourself...); I take the rest of the Bible seriously but not literally... never placing any other Biblical passage above these two messages of Jesus.

I no longer buy what so many churches are believing. So much of it seemed to be "thou shalt believe EXACTLY as we believe or you are ****ed/wrong/in need of correction", which is so interesting because that is not how Jesus taught. I also find it interesting that Jesus never wrote anything down. He certainly could have. Don't you think that if literal words were what he wanted His believers to follow he would have written his beliefs down? I think he didn't write them down for a purpose, because he knew what happens when people become fixated on specific words. Just my humble opinion.

Finally, I recommend you do a search on "liberal Christian" or something like that on the boards here. This topic has been discussed several times.

Best of luck to you.

I no longer buy what so many churches are believing...I also find it interesting that Jesus never wrote anything down. He certainly could have. Don't you think that if literal words were what he wanted His believers to follow he would have written his beliefs down? I think he didn't write them down for a purpose, because he knew what happens when people become fixated on specific words. Just my humble opinion.

I agree with you on this. I think it's important. My opinion is that Jesus didn't write it down because He entrusted the apostles (those He spent three years living with and teaching) to pass along what He taught without error. He knew the Holy Spirit was going to come and establish his "body" (the church) after His ascension. A lot of what WAS written down was written to correct errors, not to be the means of teaching/instruction for the church. He passed His teaching and ways along orally to the apostles and they passed it along to the church; the Holy Spirit established Christ's body (the church) as the pillar and foundation of the faith.

So I guess I have a different belief in why Jesus didn't write anything down , but I (like you) no longer think the written Bible is the be-all, end-all of the faith -- as important as it is (and it is).

Edited by milovaný

My hubby has moved towards Deism and it is working quite nicely for him. He desires some community in religion but hasn't worked out what to do about it yet. A UU church would work if there was one in the area. A Pagan community would probably work for him if we could find one that wasn't Wiccan. I'd like to find a pagan community too but the only one I've heard of that would suit us is in Canada. :tongue_smilie:

Rosie

Anyone want to tell me what that makes me? Cause I have no idea, :lol:

Tired?

After you've had a rest, you might try looking around a little more. Not all churches are quite as...enthusiastic...about some of those issues that are troubling you as Southern Baptists are. And there are different takes on the things in the Old Testament as well. Personally, I think they're hard for people in our culture to understand partly because their culture was so different and God was interacting with them in a way they would understand. But anyway, there are other ways of looking at some of these things than Southern Baptist, and you might find something that helps.

Edited by MamaSheep

I used to go to a church (Southern Baptist) that believed that the bible was the to be read literally. I struggled with this for a long, long, time. For one, I can't believe in the 7 day creation. And the Old Testament is full of hate and I can't understand why a loving God would *want* this to happen. I'm slowly coming to the conclusion that it wasn't really God who told these people what to do or to kill, but rather it was peoples interpretation.

There is a lot of "Hate" in the Old Testament. Much of it is man hating man. Sometimes it is God "Hating" something. God was hating the practice of burning children alive in the red hot metal arms of Molech to bring good harvests or protection from enemies. We were sick as we watched some of the archeological discussions of these towns and the skeletal remains that were found.There were other practices that were just as destructive.

Other times like when all the Baal priests are killed or when the leaders in the desert going against God are killed when the land splits open and they fall in, these make me pause. God, I don't understand. This is OK. He's very clear; my understanding is limited. I realize God's hatred of evil is tied to his being perfectly good. If I try to remake God into just good, I'd be trying to change his holiness.

Without God's holiness there would be no reason for Jesus to come to earth. No Christmas, No Easter, No ultimate LOVE gift of taking my punishment.

I'm also very tired of if you are true christian you will do X,Y, and Z. You would have lots of company in Paul and most of the New Testament writers here.

I'm tired of hearing of a literal hell, I'm leaning towards there is no literal hell. The big deal about Hell is again God is so perfectly good, he can't stand anything less than perfectly good. I don't understand this perfectly either. I see Isaiah's reaction to seeing God's goodness. It's an absolute AWE. I don't understand this level of goodness. I can't fathom it.

And I'm sick of hearing just because you're Mormon, Jewish, or (insert whatever) you are not a true christian. I agree; I'm glad it's Christ himself who sets the standard. He's the welcoming committee not us.

I think I just kinda want to to my own thing. I've had to do this many times in the sense of walking away from different people and just be me and God for a while. As he settles me down, opportunities to be with other Christians come. Believe in God and that God is love and the rest doesn't matter. The main deal is between God and you. I get waylaid by life and the struggles going on around me many a time. There's nothing like reading that Jesus hit the bull's eye for me, nothing can destroy or fade out what he did. Even more he's protecting, think fortress keep tower, what's he doing in me. I eat this up. This is the stability I can never find in myself. He's got it all taken care of.

:grouphug:from a fellow travelor,

Melody

There is a lot of "Hate" in the Old Testament. Much of it is man hating man. Sometimes it is God "Hating" something. God was hating the practice of burning children alive in the red hot metal arms of Molech to bring good harvests or protection from enemies. We were sick as we watched some of the archeological discussions of these towns and the skeletal remains that were found.There were other practices that were just as destructive.

Other times like when all the Baal priests are killed or when the leaders in the desert going against God are killed when the land splits open and they fall in, these make me pause. God, I don't understand. This is OK. He's very clear; my understanding is limited. I realize God's hatred of evil is tied to his being perfectly good. If I try to remake God into just good, I'd be trying to change his holiness.

Without God's holiness there would be no reason for Jesus to come to earth. No Christmas, No Easter, No ultimate LOVE gift of taking my punishment.

I'm also very tired of if you are true christian you will do X,Y, and Z. You would have lots of company in Paul and most of the New Testament writers here.

I'm tired of hearing of a literal hell, I'm leaning towards there is no literal hell. The big deal about Hell is again God is so perfectly good, he can't stand anything less than perfectly good. I don't understand this perfectly either. I see Isaiah's reaction to seeing God's goodness. It's an absolute AWE. I don't understand this level of goodness. I can't fathom it.

And I'm sick of hearing just because you're Mormon, Jewish, or (insert whatever) you are not a true christian. I agree; I'm glad it's Christ himself who sets the standard. He's the welcoming committee not us.

I think I just kinda want to to my own thing. I've had to do this many times in the sense of walking away from different people and just be me and God for a while. As he settles me down, opportunities to be with other Christians come. Believe in God and that God is love and the rest doesn't matter. The main deal is between God and you. I get waylaid by life and the struggles going on around me many a time. There's nothing like reading that Jesus hit the bull's eye for me, nothing can destroy or fade out what he did. Even more he's protecting, think fortress keep tower, what's he doing in me. I eat this up. This is the stability I can never find in myself. He's got it all taken care of.

:grouphug:from a fellow travelor,

Melody

Did that church read the entire Bible as literal or only the parts that are actually intended TO BE literal? :) Anyone who thinks every word of the Bible is literal in the literary sense doesn't see the Scriptures as a living work written by inspired authors with different styles and using different literary tools to tell a greater story AND greater absolute truths. Not all literal, but ALL TRUTH! It's amazing. :)

OP, I don't have any answers but feel much the same way. I grew up Catholic. I enjoyed it immensely and found great comfort in the Church. As an adult, I no longer feel this way. I've never found a "home" since childhood. Now that I have children I feel like I should be providing some kind of spiritual leadership for them, but I don't know how to do that. Currently they're going to Awana with another hsing family we know. They love it. I, personally, don't care for it. I'm not into memorizing passages for the sake of memorizing. But I'm trying to keep an open mind ;)

That was no help to you. I just wanted you to know you're not alone.

My hubby has moved towards Deism and it is working quite nicely for him. He desires some community in religion but hasn't worked out what to do about it yet. A UU church would work if there was one in the area.

Rosie

Yep - I do wish we had more opportunity for "community", and the closest UU church for us is about 45 minutes away. Not too bad - but not something that we feel strongly enough about to try....

I realized I was were you are about a year ago. I realized the god of the Bible was something I didn't want anything to do with. The Old Testament is definitely the worst but then I realized much of the New Testament wasn't much better. God gave a "special" race of people permission to go into another land and kill every single man, woman, old person, baby and child because they didn't believe correctly and God actually wanted "His" people to have that land? I wondered what kind of god and heavenly father would encourage such a thing! It doesn't have to be a mystery of God that'll I'll just have to one day understand. I'd never understand or want to. I was just about a complete atheist. Everything I realized I didn't like I realized it actually sickened me.

Then I spent a lot of time researching the birth and origin of the Bible. In many ways I was so relieved to understand the drives and agendas of the people of the time. I was relieved to separate a god from the Bible.

I agree with the recommendation of looking up deism. I searched and visited so many local churches and just couldn't find anything I was comfortable "using" for socialization and sitting through things taught I could no longer agree with. I especially hoped Methodist or Episcopal might be it. :) I wish we had a UU nearby but by living in the South there's almost no chance. ;)

You aren't alone :)

I realized I was were you are about a year ago. I realized the god of the Bible was something I didn't want anything to do with. The Old Testament is definitely the worst but then I realized much of the New Testament wasn't much better. God gave a "special" race of people permission to go into another land and kill every single man, woman, old person, baby and child because they didn't believe correctly and God actually wanted "His" people to have that land? I wondered what kind of god and heavenly father would encourage such a thing! It doesn't have to be a mystery of God that'll I'll just have to one day understand. I'd never understand or want to. I was just about a complete atheist. Everything I realized I didn't like I realized it actually sickened me.

Then I spent a lot of time researching the birth and origin of the Bible. In many ways I was so relieved to understand the drives and agendas of the people of the time. I was relieved to separate a god from the Bible.

I agree with the recommendation of looking up deism. I searched and visited so many local churches and just couldn't find anything I was comfortable "using" for socialization and sitting through things taught I could no longer agree with. I especially hoped Methodist or Episcopal might be it. :) I wish we had a UU nearby but by living in the South there's almost no chance. ;)

You aren't alone :)

:iagree:

We could be twins :)

But then, in another part, God sends a bear to murder forty-two children for teasing a bald man. It's pretty hard to derive a sense of good and evil from the Old Testament when the good side and the evil side both commit heinous and violent acts for no apparent reason.

I wish we had a UU nearby but by living in the South there's almost no chance. ;)

I can't resist this awesome opportunity to plug SUUSI.

SUUSI is a week-long UU family camp in SW Virginia. It's attended each summer by over 1000 UUs (and sympathizers) from all over the southeast. There is great music, great kids' programs, worship services twice a day, workshops ranging from "ideas about God" to "making a felted scarf," nature trips into the Blue Ridge mountains, and an awesome opportunity to be surrounded by religious liberals.

It's a wonderful experience in itself, and it would also allow you to network with other people from the south.

If it sounds like something you'd like but you think you can't afford it, please PM me. (I'm on the Board. :D)