Menu

Curriculum help!!! Please comment!

kwickimom

A friend just called and told me she needs to pull her dd from school asap due to bullying. She is in 4th grade. They are planning on moving this summer and going to another ps.

With 2 months left to the school year and not a lot of funds, what would you suggest for curriculum?

I am going to reread the free thread, but she is coming over this afternoon and I wanted to have some quick suggestions, thanks!

Time 4 Learning

I've never used, but many people like it. I think it is about $20.00 a month and can be canceled any time. I can't imagine buying a bunch of books for just a couple of months unless she needs remedial work.

The school might also loan her the books she is currently using until the end of the school year.

Time 4 Learning

I've never used, but many people like it. I think it is about $20.00 a month and can be canceled any time. I can't imagine buying a bunch of books for just a couple of months unless she needs remedial work.

The school might also loan her the books she is currently using until the end of the school year.

Yeah there is no way I would tell her to buy any books. The school loan thing is not an option here.

I agree with letting her just decompress after her ps ordeal.

If the library is an option, I'd just let her read some good books and maybe throw in some math review to keep up her skills over the summer.

We have used worksheets from HM to review and supplement. Click on grade, then on leveled practice.

http://www.eduplace.com/math/mw/

:grouphug: for her and her family.

I echo what everybody else is saying.

There are free grammar worksheets here if she wants to work more on that. Do some free writing or journal activities.

Pick up a cheap math workbook or print some activities from here. Or get something like Times Tales if she needs practice learning those.

Mostly I would just spend a lot of time reading, going outside, etc.

2 months only? Not worth it starting "curriculum", IMO.

I'd go to the library and have her check out books on various topics. Let her research a topic of her choice and tell the family about it. I'd also work on keeping her math skills fresh by practicing whatever she has covered in ps.

I would put the main focus on developing a positive attitude towards learning again after the bullying experience.

I'd go to the library and have her check out books on various topics. Let her research a topic of her choice and tell the family about it. I'd also work on keeping her math skills fresh by practicing whatever she has covered in ps.

I would put the main focus on developing a positive attitude towards learning again after the bullying experience.

I agree. Good library books + math worksheet from internet can go a long way.

But if the family insists on a curriculum, I would suggest various Spectrum workbooks. May be one for LA, one for math, one for science, one for social studies ? Those will last 2 months + summer holiday.

I'd probably tell her to get a comprehensive book of skills for 4th grade (B&N carries one or two different books), and encourage her to make use of her library card and to enjoy her daughter and help her recover from the bullying.

:iagree:

I used T4L and didnt care for it at all and I thought it was kind of expensive. If she really wants some formal school time maybe a lapbook or something would be the way to go. If it were me though I would just let her relax and recover. The situation must be pretty bad to be pulling her this close to the end of the school year.

I agree.

I would keep up with math and then spend a lot of time assessing and planning for the next year. I'd tell her to request a copy of the school file, so that she can see test results, etc. This will help her see any weak areas, and she should plan to address those first, especially if they are in basic skills like reading, spelling, and math.

In the remaining time, I would just read, read, read. I would also plan some fun outings if possible: get to know the park programs, any museums, etc. in the area. I would encourage the dd to develop an interest that she pursues independently: crafts, birding, sewing, or whatever her dd likes.

thanks for the comments so far.

I probably shouldn't have labeled this "curriculum" help, because I agree she doesn't need an actual curriculum. I do like the idea of the skills books and things. There are some extenuating family circumstances that has me thinking she needs something to "show" for her 2 months of hs'ing so I think I will for sure suggest the skills books and math pages and things like that.

If she has a printer, I would suggest teacherfilebox.com for a couple of months ($13/month) along with weekly library visits. Maybe a Math Mammoth blue series unit or two (The Division 2 worktext download is only $5.) She could also see if the library has E.D. Hirsch's Core Knowledge ("What Your X Grader Needs to Know") and Books to Build On, and kind of go from there.

Most importantly, though, make sure she takes enough time to decompress (I think some call it "deschooling") and recover her confidence. She doesn't need to jump right into anything if she's in IL. There is no "you must school on school days" requirement here.

Time 4 Learning

:iagree:

I would just go to the library and have her read books for pleasure...the last two months of school aren't spent doing any real learning...but I think the Time 4 Learning is a great idea as well!

okay, I see she has to have something so show for her two months, so I think that the summer curriculum workbook, or the SAT test prep for her grade would suffice for those two months and would have everything that she should have learned in the 4rth grade.

Edited by deeinfl
changes...

A friend just called and told me she needs to pull her dd from school asap due to bullying. She is in 4th grade. They are planning on moving this summer and going to another ps.

With 2 months left to the school year and not a lot of funds, what would you suggest for curriculum?

I am going to reread the free thread, but she is coming over this afternoon and I wanted to have some quick suggestions, thanks!

I know that it is late in the evening. If you see this reply, I just wanted to tell you that anything can be found on the web for free. I love an old fashioned education: http://oldfashionededucation.com/

That's the website.

Hope that helps!

Blessings,

Karen

http://www.homeschoolblogger.com/testimony

These are some of the sites my kids love!

http://www.spellingcity.com - I paid for the premium site because I'm tracking two kids and I wanted to be able to easily show my husband the kids progress. But the free one is all she'll need for just a few months.

http://www.vocabulary.com

http://www.khanacademy.org/

http://www.mathsisfun.com/numbers/math-trainer-multiply.html