Menu

1,000 Posts/2 Green Boxes and YOU!

I now have over 1,000 posts, and this morning I got my last reps to make it over 100 and get my 2nd box! I think that makes me worth 3 per rep, yes? THANKYOU to all of you! :001_smile:

NOW my goal is to support, as much as I can, those of you who are making the HIVE such a positive, caring and great place to be!

:grouphug: :001_wub:

I'm now over 1,000 posts, but still just one green box! (I probably don't have that many worthy things to say; nevertheless, I'm working on it!)

Well, obviously I'm not the only one who disagrees with your assessment of the worthiness of your posts, seeing as how you have two green boxes now.

:D:D (These are my two green smileys in honor of y'alls two green boxes :))

I'm now over 1,000 posts, but still just one green box! (I probably don't have that many worthy things to say; nevertheless, I'm working on it!)

You're a great addition to these boards---congrats!

Well, Michelle in MO, you were fast! Congrats to both of you ladies! I just must not talk much, as I'm not even to 600 posts yet! :)

Have some popcorn on me!

:lurk5:

Now this may be silly, and I hope I don't elicit the wrong color response of those love comments...

but it seems that all this post counting is leading to a lot of one-liner posts. I see a few who tend to jump in with *ahem* deeply meaningful comments, like, "Yeah, what she said."

And perhaps it's just me, but it seems like deliberate post inflation. And for what?

I rather read fewer, but more meaningful posts than some of these one-liner, post-inflating, manufactured comments simply meant to beef some arbitrary number. I don't mean that to be inflammatory, and I don't think anyone who has posted here is guilty of that.

But those who are counting numbers - to what means?

It's, well... (don't kill me!) a little frustrating as an occasional user (see my low numbers and a mere handful of nice comments ;) ) to see what appears to simply be filler.

I really appreciate the supportive feedback so many of you spend a LOT of time giving... I'm grateful and humbled by the collective wise hive mind, but I guess I just don't get why the obvious empty posting-just-to-post?

Is SWB giving away some fab prize I don't know about??? :001_smile:

That said - to those of you who volunteer your time here, I send a warm thank you for your thoughtful comments and well-thought out responses. Many of you are a beacon to the novice homeschool mom.

I really appreciate the supportive feedback so many of you spend a LOT of time giving... I'm grateful and humbled by the collective wise hive mind, but I guess I just don't get why the obvious empty posting-just-to-post?

Actually, I think a lot of the filler comments that you see as post count inflation, I see as wanting to be part of the conversation.

I doubt anyone is thinking "I'll add an I Agree and I'll be up one more post, w00t!" I think its more of... "wow that was well said and I just want to back my homegirl up!"

I try to "agree" by giving rep. but alas, I always run out of rep too soon.

So don't worry about post counts of others, I doubt they are worrying! Sometimes people just notice milestones on their post count and they just want to say so. Whether some people just want serious conversations without the idle chit chat, some people here like the chit chat! :)

[While] some people just want serious conversations without the idle chit chat, some people here like the chit chat! :)

And I want both, sometimes just at different times.

For the past month, I've preferred only idle chitchat.

I'm trying to read the Curriculum and High School boards; truly, I am. But I just can't get into them right now. It is my summer break, and I really needed it.

Soon I'll be ready to again talk about Latin and Algebra and Classical Writing and TOG, but right now I'm satisfied with a steady diet of Mrs. Pollifax and General Board goofiness. And that's OK. ;)

Now this may be silly, and I hope I don't elicit the wrong color response of those love comments...

but it seems that all this post counting is leading to a lot of one-liner posts. I see a few who tend to jump in with *ahem* deeply meaningful comments, like, "Yeah, what she said."

And perhaps it's just me, but it seems like deliberate post inflation. And for what?

I rather read fewer, but more meaningful posts than some of these one-liner, post-inflating, manufactured comments simply meant to beef some arbitrary number. I don't mean that to be inflammatory, and I don't think anyone who has posted here is guilty of that.

But those who are counting numbers - to what means?

It's, well... (don't kill me!) a little frustrating as an occasional user (see my low numbers and a mere handful of nice comments ;) ) to see what appears to simply be filler.

Is SWB giving away some fab prize I don't know about??? :001_smile:

That said - to those of you who volunteer your time here, I send a warm thank you for your thoughtful comments and well-thought out responses. Many of you are a beacon to the novice homeschool mom.

Darcy,

Thanks for your post and honest questions. I'll try and give some answers. First of all, there are all sorts of people who are members of this forum. You have the real intense coming to talk about deep issues; you have the newbie homeschooler who has lots of questions about curriculum; you have the parent that may be new to a community and has nowhere to go to ask questions but here. And, you have those who have been homeschooling a long time who like to encourage/give advice to those seeking it. Many of these types also come here and "play."

I can't speak for all, but I know that some of these one liner posts as you call them are "just for fun." Yes, they are fluff. But, it may have been posted by someone who was involved in a real intense thread and needed to be lighthearted. It may have been posted by someone who frequents these boards a lot, has worked hard at being a good seller of curriculum, has encouraged/given advice to many, and posts a one liner to be playful. In many ways, this forum is a virtual community.

I'm glad you are here and I've read some of your posts, which are insightful. I hope that the one liner "filler" posts do not discourage you from frequenting this forum. But, and I can't speak for all, I don't think many members are actually doing "filler" posts just to beef up their count. There is really no benefit to that. I mean, you need 50 posts to post for sale items on the for sale board, but there is no other incentive to try and get a high number on your profile page. No, SWB doesn't give out prizes, at least she hasn't given ME one! :)

And, you don't have to read the posts that are seemingly about "nothing." You can wave your mouse onto the title and it will tell you what the first line of the post is w/o opening the thread.

I think of Seinfeld (the show about 'nothing') when I see these threads. They are intended to be funny and lighthearted, and for a laugh. I would say most members really don't care about numbers or little green boxes. But, sometimes it's just fun to joke and talk about it. :)

Yes, Well said, runningirl. I think they're more FUN posts than filler posts, from what I've seen.

Actually, I was kind of embarrassed that I had 1,000 posts--I've only been here since April! The only filler posts I've noticed are when people are trying to get to 50 so they can sell things. Plus they're new, so not sure WHAT to say!

I have to agree with Jackie, in that it's been a great break for me to set aside some of the classwork talk for awhile and be goofy! I think the funny posts are as "seriously" uplifting for my spirits as some of the more serious posts!

One last thing--sometimes people say sooo well what I was going to say, that all I CAN do is say "I agree"! There's no since me typing out a long answer, if someone else already did!

But see? It's things like this that make the board. Understanding where everyone is coming from and why! I'm glad you mentioned this!

I have to agree with Jackie, in that it's been a great break for me to set aside some of the classwork talk for awhile and be goofy! I think the funny posts are as "seriously" uplifting for my spirits as some of the more serious posts!

One last thing--sometimes people say sooo well what I was going to say, that all I CAN do is say "I agree"! There's no since me typing out a long answer, if someone else already did!

But see? It's things like this that make the board. Understanding where everyone is coming from and why! I'm glad you mentioned this!

:iagree: {hee, hee!}

I have really been enjoying this summer and having the time to participate in more threads than I usually get to during the school year. I've had some frustrating, irritating things going on in my real life, so being able to come here and have fun and joke around has been a priceless (in every sense of the word) activity for me. I'm sure some of my posts may come across as filler, but I can guarantee each and every one has helped contribute to my sanity these days, and hopefully something I've said has made a person or two smile in the mean time. :)

Hmmm... interesting perspective! I never saw it from the perspective of looking for time fillers! :) I guess it goes to show that there is something for everyone here. Gotta love that. (Thanks again, SWB, for these boards!)

I do hope that those one-liner posts are, like suggested, an attempt to be part of a community, a sisterhood even... and not like they may appear to a newbie. I don't get over to "these here parts" as I mostly only have time to read about curriculum. I anticipate fun and silliness here - it's my summer vacation, too. (You can see our silliness in my blog today!)

While it seems likely here, even wanted on the General Board, it's also an more-oft thing over yonder in the Curriculum posts. I think my questions pertain more to the Curric board.

So what is the community norm for an "ITA" opinion on the curriculum board?

Posting with "ITA!"?

Giving rep?

Star the discussion?

Other?

Noting how the community responds would help me understand when a discussion is appreciated and really has one of those don't-miss-this insights. How do you all respond?

Again, I'm genuinely curious about the community habits... I hope not to offend those that are excited about their numbers and rank. Maybe this question belongs in the "How to..." part of the community?

Happy summer vaca - to those that are R'n'Ring right now.

Warmly,

Posting with "ITA!"?

Giving rep?

Star the discussion?

Other?

Noting how the community responds would help me understand when a discussion is appreciated and really has one of those don't-miss-this insights. How do you all respond?

When someone gives me really good insight on a question I've posed, I always give them a rep point. It is just what I use to say "Hey, thanks for noticing my question and responding!" I tend to give rep freely. If someone was creatively funny and made me laugh, I'll give a rep. And, if someone took time to really explain something in depth, even if I didn't start the thread, I'll give out rep. I'll also give out rep to "celebrate" with someone. I gave a rep to someone who had a birthday and I said it was my "present" to them. I think it's fun that there is something here I can actually give away to others. :)

If something really good is being discussed about curric. that I do agree with, I usually will post on the thread that I do agree. I try not to just say 'I agree' but say why, or add something to the discussion. But, there are just those times when someone has said something so well, or has really really verbalized something I was thinking, but couldn't verbalize. So, there are times when I've just used the smiley holding the "I agree" sign. It's my way of saying "I can't say it any better and I'm not going to try."

Again, I'm genuinely curious about the community habits... I hope not to offend those that are excited about their numbers and rank.
I think it takes a lot to offend most people on this forum, and I don't think anyone was offended by your comments at all!

Have fun "playing" around! :)

Also, Darcy, when there are multiple :iagree:s, then it might give more confidence to the OP regarding the situation. There's power in those numbers sometimes. If only one person responded with a positive, then you still might feel unsure of the situation. A whole slew of them can tip the scales and set you on your way to feeling good about the situation too.

As for the silliness: I have changed my life a fair amount this past year. Without going into detail here, I want to say that this is a lot of my social chit chat. It can happen when I have the time. There are always others around at the same time. It is a social outlet for me that takes less away from my family time because of the nature of the set up. I can chat in my pjs. So my friends on here are very important for me.

Just a perspective from my head.

Hmmm... interesting perspective! I never saw it from the perspective of looking for time fillers! :)

It is very different here than some other boards that are more formal. For example, on macrumors.com, if you simply say "I agree" your post will be deleted. So will "first" they are just not tolerated there. They have about 20 moderators on at all times of the day.

*Cross posting is an absolute no-no.

*Starting your own thread about a topic already being discussed would be sent to the wasteland before you could hit reply

*Posting without linking is looked on as bad form.

*People are tempted to add one liners because, you need 500 posts in order to have an avatar. Not so here.

etc.

This board is very different! It's relaxed, friendly, spirited and not formal. Since there is no incentive here for higher posts, I doubt anyone will spam for more.

Stick around and you will find that it is mostly friendly banter and not wasted space. :)

Posting with "ITA!"?

Giving rep?

Star the discussion?

Other?

I'm not sure there is a "norm".

Personally, I've done all of the first 3 responses you've listed. Sometimes I've done all 3 for one post. :D Normally, though, I do just one of them if I'm going to respond at all.

If I truly don't have anything of value to add to what has already been said, most times I'll just rep and move on. IRL, I'm not a big "chit-chatter", and that carries over to my online interaction.

I now have over 1,000 posts, and this morning I got my last reps to make it over 100 and get my 2nd box! I think that makes me worth 3 per rep, yes? THANKYOU to all of you! :001_smile:

NOW my goal is to support, as much as I can, those of you who are making the HIVE such a positive, caring and great place to be!

:grouphug: :001_wub:

Me! Me! Me!! lol shameful plug.....

Seriously... congrats... how fun...

And I want both, sometimes just at different times.

I'm trying to read the Curriculum and High School boards; truly, I am. But I just can't get into them right now. It is my summer break, and I really needed it.

I agree. Having taken two months or so off during our move, I'm still trying to finish *this* year! I don't even want to think about next year yet!! I'm pretty sure I already know what all we're doing but I am a little in avoidance mode. :tongue_smilie:

I have no car during the day and since we moved no real IRL friends. This place is one of my social outlets and since we are done with school until August I find my goofy side coming out a tad more.

This board has had many goofy, silly links that have made ds and me laugh this spring. There is such diversity here, it's great.

It happened! It happened!!!

I would like to thank all the Acedemys and folks that made this second green dot possible!

Nothing like a little schmoozing to get a dot hu??:lol:

:grouphug: Yall are so much fun!!! I agree... I love these boards.... the people on them anyway.:)

I would like to thank all the Acedemys and folks that made this second green dot possible!

:grouphug: Yall are so much fun!!! I agree... I love these boards.... the people on them anyway.:)

Congrats Lisawa! Yes, I love these boards too. Way fun! :) Here is my token to celebrate:

:lurk5:

:party:

I'm...so...close... :cheers2:

How about Sweetarts. I love Sweetarts!
I get the pink and purple ones!

Oh my. Could you please bring me some? That sounds so sinfully delicious. drooling-5.gif
SURE! Well, as long as you don't drool on me! ;)

I'm...so...close...
I tried to rep you, but I guess I've been too generous lately...