Menu

Would you hire a teacher who doesn't like to read?

That said - she still did a terrible job answering that particular interview question.

I think that this is the crux of the matter. It was how she answered the question.

Heather is in a difficult spot. She interviews for a unique position, in a developing nation, with a cultural diversity that most of us cannot relate to, spending huge sums of school dollars to move families to this new place, and if it doesn't work out it is a disaster unlike what it would be here. It leaves her having to fill the position mid-year, pay to move a family home, and pay to move a new one in....big nightmare. So, her pressure to be absolutely certain is quite more intense than for most teaching positions stateside.

This was not meant as an indictment towards those that don't read for hobbies. In the US, it's not that big of a deal though HOW you answer an interview question always is very important. Maybe the question could be reworded, however, it's the vibe that Heather gets that is soooo important.

Also, with the cultural differences, it might actually be necessary that she be amenable to doing a lot of reading away from school during the beginning stages. There is a learning curve we can't imagine for becoming an adept teacher in the environment which Heather has described...Buddhist, Hindu, Muslim, Christians all in one mix in a Christian International School in a developing nation. There is likely a lot of information the new teacher needs to digest. So, probably Heather did need a follow-up question or two or potentially needs to rephrase the question. However, the discerning candidate would respond very differently. "I do not necessarily read for a hobby, but I am always keeping myself informed on important issues relating to my profession, child development, etc. and will be thrilled, should I secure this position, to educate myself about my new teaching environment and culture." You know, something along those lines.

That's the biggest issue. Not that she doesn't enjoy reading for a hobby, but that she didn't exercise wisdom in how she answered the question in the interview.

All things being equal, if this candidate is otherwise outstanding, then a follow up would be great. But, if the vibe Heather is getting from the initial interview is negative and there are other more qualified or otherwise "ahead of the pack" candidates, then she might be wise to look elsewhere.

By the way, my dh is not a "read for hobby" guy. He reads voraciously for his profession and as the Superintendent of Youth Sciences for 4-H for out county. If he were interviewing for a position, he respond very differently than the interviewee.

As I've been telling ds, who will begin college visits next year, if asked a pointed question and you do not instinctually have a great answer or feel it is ambiguous, ask a follow-up question before formulating your response and be thoughtful/mindful of the possibly purposes of the original question before responding.

Faith

I tend to agree with you. The best teachers seem to be people who love learning and reading. That said, if s/he had amazing references, I might hire anyway. All other things being equal between 2 candidates, I would hire the reader.

I agree. If all things are equal.....hire the reading lover.:iagree:

When I worked on my teaching degree I took a children's literature class and we were required to read 100s of books...literally. I can't imagine being an elementary teacher and not loving reading.:glare:

I tend to agree with you. The best teachers seem to be people who love learning and reading. That said, if s/he had amazing references, I might hire anyway. All other things being equal between 2 candidates, I would hire the reader.

I do not 'love' to read on my own, I love to read aloud and could list great children's books, but really have no desire to read contemporary authors or even revisit the classics....my 'free' time is spent training horses and gardening, I would much rather be with those things than a book. Oh, and my classes fill up every year..writing and literature. :001_smile:

Her answer would make me hesitate, and I'm not sure if I would hire her. Teachers who love reading pass that desire onto their kids. Let me share a story with you...

I am an avid reader. I thrive when I am reading, and I yearn for it when I'm not. It's like breathing to me. When I taught 8th grade Language Arts, I had a huge classroom library, and I would rave about the books for the kids (I read most of them). The staff would praise me for inspiring a love of reading in some of the most reluctant readers because I worked so hard to emulate the value of it every day. A colleague of mine (across the hall) was not big on reading (she taught LA too), so she would send her students to me to help them with books because she didn't really care (self-admitted). Her classroom library was weak, and she was never able to have great book discussions with her kids. They saw that, recognized it, and I had many "adopted" students who would come to me because of my books and love of them. Although there are things I did not succeed at while teaching, this is one of the areas where I did, and I still have former students (some were my reluctant readers too!) ask for book recommendations (they are adults now) through Facebook. I consider that an honor. If I did not love books as I do, how could I have passed that passion onto others?

I know she will not be teaching older children, but younger kids love to be read to. Is she good at that? Her love/passion of books would be represented through her interaction with literature. If she's not much of a reader, how can she foster that adoration with her students? They are at a critical age still where showing them a love of books could create a life-long reader. This is why I hesitate.

These are just my thoughts and opinions... Not sure if they are helpful! I wish you the best in this process!

I do not 'love' to read on my own, I love to read aloud and could list great children's books, but really have no desire to read contemporary authors or even revisit the classics....my 'free' time is spent training horses and gardening, I would much rather be with those things than a book. Oh, and my classes fill up every year..writing and literature. :001_smile:

Well, if you love to read aloud and obviously enjoy children's books, then you are a reader! I don't think "being a reader" means that you have to specifically enjoy reading fiction in your spare time. There are many types of reading, and they all count. Even audio.

If I was asked that question in an interview, I would realize it had implications far beyond reading fiction for pleasure, and I'd answer accordingly. I'd assure my potential employer that I would happily keep up with self-education in whatever form it took (reading, listening, watching, interacting). If I didn't particularly read children's books, I'd still say that I'd keep up with some reviews, or make a point to read aloud to the kids from, say, the Newbery list. Reading for pleasure is not the point, really. Although, hopefully self-education and reading aloud does provide some pleasure to most people. :)

I would have no problem with it. Then again, I'd likely not ask an elementary teacher about her reading habits. I know this isn't a popular opinion here, but I have several reasons. If you're looking for the teacher to set a good example for the students, the teacher doesn't have time during her teaching day to pick up a book for fun or even to read about new teaching methods. If she does any of this, it will be away from school. What the parents do at home has much more of an effect on the children. If the one or both parents spend time reading, then likely the children will too.

Another reason is that she's involved with reading as part of her job as a teacher. Sometimes when you do something for a job, it's the last thing you want to spend time on during your free time. Maybe she enjoys listening to music, or even watching TV. Or maybe she has her own family and spends time helping the children with their homework or gardening, or cooking, or cleaning, or ...

If she seems like she'd be a good teacher, I would hire her regardless of her reading habits. Most important things she'll be reading are the memos from administration and children's books to her class. :001_smile:

I am not sure I'd ask that question as it seems kind of personal. She may have been unsure how you would react to her honest answer. What if she's reading something trashy, religious, "alternative," or subversive, or a self-help book such as "dealing with depression" or "recovering from addiction"? I recall an employee who brought her paperback to read at lunch, and the book was something like "how to get your boss's job." Awkward?

Another side of it is that maybe she is super busy. There were at least a couple of years after my kids were born when I did practically no "fun" reading, even though I really love to read.

I do think an ability to enjoy reading is a good trait in a teacher. Maybe a better way to get at this would be to ask what is a great book she's read in the past __ years and why she liked it.

hindsight is 20/20 after all......after reading pages of responses, it's easy for me to say that perhaps asking about THAT particular answer would have shed more light on the subject and the interviewee. Perhaps: 'that's an interesting answer from an educator. Having told me you are not much of a reader, tell me then what genre you do read?' (Assuming that it should be easy if she is not much of a reader.

The logical and most understandable answer is: 'I do so much reading for my professional position as an educator, that I am not much of a recreational reader. I knit and cook instead.' or whatever.

I was interviewed once by a small Christian school. The parent who was going to have the final say in my being hired (and I was the front runner) prided herself on reading every single book before it went into the school library - I guess THAT was her hill to die on. It was fine -- to each his own.

Well, when I went in to be interviewed by her (and others were there), she asked me what book, in my opinion, ABSOLUTELY had to be read by every.single.student in the school. :001_huh: I asked if we were talking about K-8 as that was the range of grades in the school -- and she said yes. She wanted the title of a book that would be mandatory for everyone in the school to read and gain a meaningful lesson. :glare:

I said: The Very Hungry Caterpillar

I thought she was going to fall off her chair -- I knew right then with 100% certainty that I was not going to be hired so when she asked me WHY? that book I replied: There is a message in it that can be meaningful no matter what the reader's age. Briefly, I went on to say that the Lord had made each of us for a specific purpose. On the most basic level, we are to consume what the Lord has made for us to consume or we will become sick. I brought in practical things regarding what we don't want our kids to read and eat and watch etc.......my answer was brilliant (another parent sitting there sent me an email telling me that) but Mrs. I-have-read-every-book-in-the-school-library didn't hire me.

Heather, I think you are going to have to trust what are probably your very finely honed hiring skills with this one.

Well, when I went in to be interviewed by her (and others were there), she asked me what book, in my opinion, ABSOLUTELY had to be read by every.single.student in the school. :001_huh: I asked if we were talking about K-8 as that was the range of grades in the school -- and she said yes. She wanted the title of a book that would be mandatory for everyone in the school to read and gain a meaningful lesson. :glare:

I said: The Very Hungry Caterpillar

I thought she was going to fall off her chair -- I knew right then with 100% certainty that I was not going to be hired so when she asked me WHY? that book I replied: There is a message in it that can be meaningful no matter what the reader's age. Briefly, I went on to say that the Lord had made each of us for a specific purpose. On the most basic level, we are to consume what the Lord has made for us to consume or we will become sick. I brought in practical things regarding what we don't want our kids to read and eat and watch etc.......my answer was brilliant (another parent sitting there sent me an email telling me that) but Mrs. I-have-read-every-book-in-the-school-library didn't hire me.

What a great story.

I would have said "The Lion, The Witch, And The Wardrobe". This is because it is enjoyable across that entire range of ages, it is timeless in its messages, it is evocative and convincing without being preachy, and it can be used to convey the Gospel message in a clear and accurate way.

And probably that same lady would not have hired me because I like books about witches. You can't win sometimes.

What a great story.

I would have said "The Lion, The Witch, And The Wardrobe". This is because it is enjoyable across that entire range of ages, it is timeless in its messages, it is evocative and convincing without being preachy, and it can be used to convey the Gospel message in a clear and accurate way.

And probably that same lady would not have hired me because I like books about witches. You can't win sometimes.

I agree totally -- BUT (and she was a piece of work) I questioned her specifically as to whether every child had to read the book THEMSELVES and she said YES. So she wanted me to come up with something that was not a read aloud for the younger grades -- Kindergartners had to be able to read it.

I find that people who have NEVER taught at all (classroom or homeschool) are particularly difficult b/c of their total lack of understanding and experience as to what it is to 'teach.' I am almost positive that she and I would NOT have been a good combination.;)

I questioned her specifically as to whether every child had to read the book THEMSELVES and she said YES.

See, this was your mistake. Never ask a clarifying question that has the possibility of making your job (answering the initial question) more difficult. If you had just answered the question as asked, you could have wowed her to death, and she might have then asked, but what about one they can read to themselves? and you would have had two rather than one opportunities to look awesome. Which, of course, you are!

(But then they would have hired you, and you would have hated the job. So in retrospect, you did exactly the right thing!)

I'd have a hard time with that. I do know many teachers, though, and not a lot of them read for pleasure. It puzzles me and annoys me at the same time.

I fully admit that I am biased for people who are readers, and that I tend not to take non-readers as seriously. I probably shouldn't do that, but I'm only human, and reading is important to me.

Now... when it comes to hiring, or being a supervisor/boss, I have to put that aside, if it has no bearing on the person's job and competency. If I were hiring an instructor, though, and they said they didn't read, then I would have to think hard about it. A teacher should be reading SOMETHING, even if only for their own professional development. Your interviewee could have cited something she read recently on the subject of classroom management, or current pedagogy, or childhood development, or... etc. The fact that her only answer was "I'm not much of a reader" says to me that she isn't even that interested in professional development. That might be a deal breaker to me unless she demonstrated several other aspects of excellency to compensate for it.

In principle, I do not see a sufficient reason to discriminate between applicants on the grounds of their leisure activities. Reading for pleasure is a very different beast than reading for one's professional growth.

Now, if there is MORE to it... a general awkwardess in the interview, something which you cannot quite put your finger on, then it would give me a pause. But one's leisure habits per se, no - there are many successful professionals who could be described as "not much of readers", except professionally.

If there were two equally qualified, gave equally good interviews, I'd go w/the reader.

My suspicion, which others have mentioned, is that there's something else going on, a gut feeling or whatnot, that this person isn't going to be a good fit, and this is the one tangible thing that you can put your finger on, as opposed to a feeling of uneasiness.

I'd heed any gut feelings.

I wouldn't be impressed with that answer, but it wouldn't be a deal-breaker. It did make me think of something that may/may not be applicable! I used to be an elementary teacher and I read like I breathe. In college, I really had to figure out phonics, because I did not know the difference between a short vowel and a long vowel. To teach reading, I had to learn phonics all over again. Later, I was teaching 3rd grade and the other 3rd grade teacher was not a natural reader. We learned a lot from each other when we were working on helping an individual child (figuring out exactly what wasn't connecting in their brain;WHY they were making certain mistakes) When it was math, it was always immediately obvious to me where they were going wrong. When it was reading, she could always pinpoint the issues. I think when something doesn't come super-easy, it's easier to help someone else learn.

It's POSSIBLE that a teacher who doesn't identify as a reader would actually be better at diagnosing reading problems.

Just a thought.

Mostly, an emphatic no.

However, a dear friend of mine is a gifted tutor. She taught my kids Spanish for years, and has been a Sunday School teacher for years. She's truly not just a good teacher, but a GREAT one. She's not much of a reader, though, and says so honestly.

Generally I think teachers should be readers. However, based on my experience with my friend, I would have to make allowances if I had a gut feeling about someone.

I am not sure I'd ask that question as it seems kind of personal. She may have been unsure how you would react to her honest answer. What if she's reading something trashy, religious, "alternative," or subversive, or a self-help book such as "dealing with depression" or "recovering from addiction"? I recall an employee who brought her paperback to read at lunch, and the book was something like "how to get your boss's job." Awkward?

Another side of it is that maybe she is super busy. There were at least a couple of years after my kids were born when I did practically no "fun" reading, even though I really love to read.

I do think an ability to enjoy reading is a good trait in a teacher. Maybe a better way to get at this would be to ask what is a great book she's read in the past __ years and why she liked it.

My theory, based on absolutely nothing, is that the last thing this woman read was 'Lolita.' You can't comfortably own up to THAT in an elementary interview. :D

Honestly, I wouldn't post this question on a public forum. It is a personnel matter and should remain confidential.

:iagree:

What if the candidate somehow finds out the interviewer is discussing this in a public forum? I know Heather at one time had a blog that linked from WTM siggy line. I'm a little nervous someone can be snoopy and track her down get the school name... and trouble. Yoikes. :leaving:

My immediate response is that, on a job interview in a field where continuing ed is a huge expectation, it would seem "lazy" for someone to flat-out say, "I don't read."

It almost translates to, "I don't do anything to further my education or do research in my field."

When I was a school music specialist, I was always reading books on music methods, techniques in teaching music theory, classroom management, learning styles, articles in music teaching magazines, etc. (I even wrote a couple articles for those magazines!) I read "Opera for Dummies" (awesome book) so I could do an opera unit with my middle schoolers. Same with "Jazz for Dummies." (Not as aweome. :))

Since I was also teaching drama (with no curriculum!) I also spent time researching and reading books on improv games and classroom theater activities.

This doesn't even count any reading I would have had to do in a course to upkeep my certificate.

It just seems to go with the job, no???