Menu

:iagree:

I find this thread disturbing. Within just a couple of posts a person has been judged a troll. There's been no outrageous pattern of behaviour by this person (he's got a grand total of 4 posts - he hasn't even established a pattern), just a post that contains details some deem improbable. Big whoop. Most of us have lives with seemingly improbable details.

Trolls reveal themselves with time. I don't get why, within 6 posts, we've jumped on this person.

I agree. :( He didn't say anything that was outrageous or extremely controversial. Why not give the benefit of the doubt instead of playing the troll card?

• Replies 113
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Maybe it's some sort of conspiracy!!

They joined 18th March 2009 and guess what tomorrow is... 18th March 2012. (for us Aussies it is)

2009 to 2012 is 3 years.

March is the 3rd month.

What say the hive???

Obviously the end of the world. Get your towels. :D

A claymore is a large sword, frequently a two handed piece, think Braveheart.

Of course just one of the numerous historical fallacies of the movie was that Wallace wore a kilt, he wore armor.

I prefer this Claymore in situations such as these.

62a20587.jpg

(The M-18 Claymore mine. I wasn't sure if non-military types could ID it on sight or not.)

I find this thread disturbing. Within just a couple of posts a person has been judged a troll. There's been no outrageous pattern of behaviour by this person (he's got a grand total of 4 posts - he hasn't even established a pattern), just a post that contains details some deem improbable. Big whoop. Most of us have lives with seemingly improbable details.

Trolls reveal themselves with time. I don't get why, within 6 posts, we've jumped on this person.

:iagree: I'm so glad you said this, I really dislike the way this thread went. I hope it hasn't chased the OP off. :(

I'm glad you all showed up! I thought on page 2 that the OP wasn't necessarily a troll. I honestly didn't see much difference between his first post and many others we get from sincere parents who are beginning to take charge of their dc's education.

The other post might not be nonsense. It means that Google Translate has Latin and Greek as some of the language options, and you can even utilize an audio feature. She may have been just trying to share a resource.

As to the first post, I know ps and private school families who have their kids doing hours of activities every night of the week. I don't agree with that, but it's true. Some of the TKD students in our school had piano lessons and another sport before TKD, three nights a week! And they'll have tutoring after. The rest of the week is just as over-full. Not my cup of tea, certainly, but it happens.

OP, if you are a sincere person sharing a true account, then I advise you to just be glad it's the last quarter of the year. Teach DD to suffer this one teacher, trying to do as she's told but gathering her own self-esteem and sense of worth from the more realistic perception and praise of other teachers in her life. One rotten second-grade teacher doesn't weigh much when figured against so many others who think she's the bee's knees. Don't let this become a big thing.

To the OP: Simply teach your daughter that it is polite to give the teacher her full attention and not to begin her work until instructed to do so. I've taught kids who start before you finish explaining. They inevitably miss something important because they think they already know what you're going to say and jump the gun. Of COURSE her teacher is offended that you'd defend this behavior rather than address it. This is a matter of respect and a skill that a bright child should be able to pick up.

To the OP: Simply teach your daughter that it is polite to give the teacher her full attention and not to begin her work until instructed to do so. I've taught kids who start before you finish explaining. They inevitably miss something important because they think they already know what you're going to say and jump the gun. Of COURSE her teacher is offended that you'd defend this behavior rather than address it. This is a matter of respect and a skill that a bright child should be able to pick up.

:iagree: Being respectful to a teacher's wishes is a very important skill to learn, and much more difficult than reading on an 8th grade level.

Yeah, this is pretty much what I was going to say. I am actually a 2nd grade teacher at a Catholic school. Although I do pretest my students in math before beginning each unit, most times all of my students, advanced or not, must participate in the daily lesson. I have advanced activities waiting for when they finish quickly, after I check to make sure they completed the lesson accurately.

Most of my advanced students politely listen to my short lessons, which do include a lot of hands-on type instruction. I do have two students, however, (one goes to Kumon) who often work on the independent portion of the lesson while I am still presenting the new information. Sometimes they know the material already and everything is fine; many times they are missing something and complete the work wrong. If they had only participated, no doubt they would have understood easily. Then I have to go back and reteach, which is really fun when I am trying to monitor the work of 32+ kids all by myself.

OP - I am not fully condoning the actions by the teacher, as I am not in the room to see it, but overall, it would be helpful if parents would back me up and request their students to follow the directions given, including listening to all lessons, since you never really know for sure when new material might be presented. It's a respect thing, and allowing your child to disrespect the teacher, just because she knows it all, is probably not the best idea.

I've said this before. I really dislike the whole troll hunting thing almost as much as I dislike legitimate trolls.