Menu

Does anyone teach typing to get around the output problem?

DS 5 hates handwriting, of course. The thing is he keeps coming up with stories, and I'd like him to start recording them. He has an old iPhone that he was using to record the story, but I'd like him to have them "on paper." also, he would be ready for more work academically, except for the handwriting portion. I would continue on with HWT, and he would write for other things too, but I thought for the lengthier work he could type. Is this a big WTM no-no?

(I mean, I'll probably still do it anyways, :lol: but I'm curious if others have tried and how it has worked.)

My 11 year old was typing well by age 8 and started at 7 (which is when we started homeschooling). He's typing a novel right now that he started for NaNoWriMo. It's made a huge difference for him! He is not a perfect form typist, but he is much faster with typing than writing for sure. He mostly learned on his own.

My DD7 is working with a typing program as part of school most days, and is starting to type many of her stories and longer writings by choice. We're doing copywork and working on written output as well, but I expect that typing is going to end up being a very useful tool for her.

DD 8 types her stories. She prefers hunt-and-peck, although I have had her work with a typing program. I need to get back to requiring that--I want her to learn touch typing. But if she really fights me on it I won't--I have a brother who types 80 wpm using his own method--three fingers on his right hand and two on his left!

Allowing her to type definitely helped us move past her issues with writing--her handwriting issues seem to be primarily linked to perfectionism, but they're gradually improving with age.

We're learning typing, but to be honest, DS1 could not have typed at age 5 or 6 either (we tried last year, and he just wasn't ready). He uses the computer regularly, but typing requires fine motor skills too, and his just weren't there yet. This year, as writing has gotten physically easier, typing has been more doable also. It's still slow going though. Currently, it's easier for him to write than to type. I don't expect him to be ready to type a lot until probably 4th grade. :tongue_smilie:

Yes and no. DS has some problem with writing, perhaps dysgraphia. I accomodate his writing issues by choosing curricula that we can do verbally or on the computer when possible. I've not required extensive handwriting in any subject and often do the writing for him when doing math problems.

Typing has made a huge difference in the amount of output. My ds wasn't much of a typist however until around 9yrs old. All fine motor skills were a struggle before that. In the last year, his output has octupled with his typing skills. He taught himself. He was motivated by his desire to communicate with other kids about "Spore", one of his favorite computer games. They collaborate with each other in the game so communication was essential. Now he has written a small 10 chapter book (mythology) and is working on another, willingly answers essay questions via typing, and writes shorter assigned essays on the computer. Even his handwriting has improved though so some of this is probably developmental for him too.

Yes, my dd started typing at 4-5yo and she prefers to type long compositions or assignments. I didn't teach typing. She didn't use a typing program to learn. She just practiced by doing it and she types faster than I do now.

For what it's worth, DD jumped dramatically in her writing quality and quantity between about ages 5 1/2-6 1/2-like age appropriate for a kindergartner to more like a 4th-5th grader. It still doesn't match her input level, but the gap is much less than it used to be, giving me hope that I won't have to scribe when she's in grad school or something!

Obviously, this won't work if there's a 2e issue-and typing's still a useful skill, but there IS hope.

For what it's worth, DD jumped dramatically in her writing quality and quantity between about ages 5 1/2-6 1/2-like age appropriate for a kindergartner to more like a 4th-5th grader. It still doesn't match her input level, but the gap is much less than it used to be, giving me hope that I won't have to scribe when she's in grad school or something!

Obviously, this won't work if there's a 2e issue-and typing's still a useful skill, but there IS hope.

:iagree: not as huge a jump here, but it was a large jump as we got closer to age 7.

I haven't yet taught typing, but it is on my summer to-do list with ds8 and reading this post has given me confidence that it can be done. Ds8 hates to write- always has. I will continue to expect some writing, but I am hoping that typing with help reduce my listening time! :)

On the other hand, Dd6 loves handwriting. She has been trying cursive all year (it hasn't been taught to her). Her output is amazing. She writes and writes and is incredibly creative. It is such a joy for me to experience. I don't plan to push typing on her yet.

Here's hoping typing works for ds8!

I tried to get my 8yo to do a typing program last year, but he just wasn't able to progress well in it so we stopped. Until he is able to progress through a touch-typing program, I am not going to let him type out his thoughts in formal way (he has access to a computer for personal use with notepad, so he is welcome to do it there). It took me a long time to learn to touch type on my own, and I feel it is very important to do that before you get comfortable doing it hunt and peck and have trouble switching!!

My DD started playing around with the computer keyboard at age 3 and since 4 has been typing a few words to her Dad on skype (we made the font much bigger) She started some handwriting a month ago but can only write a few words before she gets tired so I suspect her typing and handwriting may follow each other for a while yet as she learns both. Since she is still learning letter formation I find that the typing is used more to discover that words are spelt a certain way - its like she self practices spelling by typing while the writing is still more about fine motor and letter formation - I will have to see what happens in the near future but thats where we are right now.

A lot of people get frustrated with "training" Dragonspeak and that's why it doesn't work for them.

We use it here, it's fabulous.

Do you use the software on a computer or the app on an ipad. We have it on the ipad and it works fine for me but not dd. I'm wondering if the pc software works differently. DD is only 7 but enunciates fairly well...I'm not sure why it can't understand her.

I just started teaching DS (6 yrs) typing. Well, actually, I found a free program online that I thought he'd enjoy playing with. I am hoping that this will be our "ticket" to him writing more. He hates writing by hand, but of course it's a skill he needs to know, so we practice it still.

If anyone is interested, the program is here: http://www.bbc.co.uk/schools/typing/

Nothing too fancy, but it's a good intro, I think! He's made quite a bit of progress over the past couple of days.