Menu

girls' clothing? Gymboree, Kelly's Kids - where else to look?

I am beyond frustrated with the selection of girls' clothing for the summer. I LOVED shopping when they were babies and toddlers - too much to choose from! It got a little harder when they moved from toddler sizes to 4-6.

For this summer, we need 7s. Oh My Goodness. Is there ANYTHING cute and reasonably modest and not covered in 1000 sequins? We are not super-conservative - I am looking for shorts that are at least as long as they are wide, with coordinating little tops, that are cute. Why is that so hard to find??

I bought most of Gymboree's Tulip collection. I would have bought more at Kelly's Kids had they had anything in stock. (My kids still want to match, so I often buy things from one collection so they coordinate without being 100% matchy matchy.)

Where else can I look for collections of somewhat cute clothing with longer shorts?

Sometimes The Children's Place has things, as does Crazy 8's. We often get capri-length leggings/jeans/pants, and knit dresses with bike shorts or capri leggings, because the shorts are usually just too short (especially ones that don't require ironing)

Land's End will sometimes have sales through Sears (after Christmas, they had a 50% off sale)... and if they don't have the sizes you need in the store (Sears), you can order it online at Sears and still get the sale prices.

I bought a bunch of stuff for my dd at the mall the other day. I found some cute skirts with matching t-shirts/tanks and summer dresses at Children's Place, which I am not usually crazy about.

I also bought a whole bunch of coordinating sets at Naartjie. And adorable dresses. I love this store. I had never heard of it until I moved to Colorado.

Oh, I forgot we got some cute things at Crazy 8's as well.

Edited by danybug
Forgot one

I bought a bunch of stuff for my dd at the mall the other day. I found some cute skirts with matching t-shirts/tanks and summer dresses at Children's Place, which I am not usually crazy about.

I also bought a whole bunch of coordinating sets at Naartjie. And adorable dresses. I love this store. I had never heard of it until I moved to Colorado.

Oh, I forgot we got some cute things at Crazy 8's as well.

:iagree: Naartjie has the cutest stuff, and it holds up pretty well. My only gripe is that they only go up to size 10. I love buying my dd's clothes there. Sign up on their e-mail list so you get notices of their sales, etc.

Hanna Andersson and LLBean! They had some really cute things in the latest catalog!! HA always holds up, looks brand new 3 years later!! My girls still wear their hoodie jackets from there, I just wait until there is a big sale, they used to have a Hanna's attic with great deals, but too many people found them :( I like that their sizes go up to where my 13/14 year olds can still wear them...they like their capri pants but some shirts are looking too kiddish for them now..but they do love their hoodies and hoodie sweaters...really well made! They wear them atleast 3x a week!

I only have boys, but I've bought clothes from- Hannah Kate, Ragsland, Just Ducky, and Chez Ami. My friends with younger children like Castles and Crowns, and Shrimp and Grits.

I have also ordered from Mini Boden, CWD Kids, and JCrew.

Hannah Kate is really great, because you can choose the design, material, and everything. You can mix and make and really coordinate. It would be really cute to make some summer dresses. I also used to mix and match with Bailey Boys, but I don't know if they still exist.

Don't forget about the gymbucks at gymboree. If you time things properly -- buying on sale to earn the gymbucks then using the gymbucks on full price if you really must have it you can get lots without spending lots!

I really miss going to Gymboree!

I've resigned myself to shopping piecemeal. I used to be able to hit a couple of favorite stores and get anything I needed for DD for a season but no more. Most of my favorites have already been suggested. However, since you are specifically looking for long shorts, I thought I would mention that I got the cutest long shorts (came almost to DD's knee) at Target last year. I actually did a double-take in the store, they were so unexpected. :lol: They are kind of cargo-ish yet girly. Very flattering and perfectly modest. DD and I both love them, so much so that I bought a size ahead. I also found long denim shorts in many different colors at The Children's Place. However, we were closer to summer at both stores (think I bought them the same day, actually), so give shorts a little more time. It's still February (and I get searching now because I'm in TX, where it's already shorts weather)!

Do they make capris for older little girls? My DD is in size 4 now (she'll be 4 this summer) and I try to keep her in sturdy capris in the summer just to protect her knees! Well, the modesty issue is great, too!

I absolutely A.D.O.R.E. Naartjie. DD still chews on her shirts, colors on her legs and pants, plays in the dirt, and those clothes still hold up well and look darling.

I am in the market for my kids' summer clothes right now, because I'm expecting my baby right about the time we'll make the switch to warm weather clothes.

• 2 months later...
  • 2 months later...
Yes you are right choosing of cloths for girls are not easy task. When we were going for shopping for girls we were confused that what is good for her. I also faced that problem, so for that problem i use online shopping or searching the latest trend and fashion today. By searching i got some idea and then will go for shopping. You can also use online shopping and get the ideas from the internet and from the fashion world by referring the fashion magazine's for girls.

What are your recommendations for living room furniture?

After size 6x, it's teen cut-downs for the 7-14 set with few exceptions except those noted. I think some of the Hanna stuff is cute, but horribly overpriced. If you can sew and have a serger to handle knits fast, you can make a pair of leggings in 30 minutes. I'm not kidding. My 11 year old wears a lot of Mom's special stretch pants and plain t-shirts which she likes to decorate herself. Polar fleece is great for winter. GO for it.