Menu

TT and standardized tests

DragonFaerie

I posted a few days ago with a concern about whether TT was "enough" of a math program, seeing as how it is generally considered to be behind grade level. I got the kids' ITBS scores back today. I will not worry about math any more. DS, 3rd, scored a 4.4 grade equivalent and 79% nationally. DD, 4th, scored an 8.6 grade equivalent and 99% nationally. TT officially ROCKS! :D

Thanks, ya'll. We are almost through with TT4 so it's grade level for DD and a grade ahead for DS. I have been supplementing with Daily Math all year but I don't teach that. I just help them figure out problems that they have trouble with. I have also been using MM4 but we've only just finished chapter 1 and the test was the first week of January so I don't think that was it.

I agree with you. I have had one daughter use it all the way through high school and she did well on her ACT and was placed into Intermediate Algebra for her college level class for Math. She just finished the class and it came very easy to her and she got an A for a grade.

We've used TT for several years and our experience has been similar. This year DD, who struggles more in math, scored in the 86% for math. DS, who is advanced in math, didn't miss a single problem and scored in the 99%. Not to brag :) but I do agree that TT works. :)

Melissa :)

I posted a few days ago with a concern about whether TT was "enough" of a math program, seeing as how it is generally considered to be behind grade level. I got the kids' ITBS scores back today. I will not worry about math any more. DS, 3rd, scored a 4.4 grade equivalent and 79% nationally. DD, 4th, scored an 8.6 grade equivalent and 99% nationally. TT officially ROCKS! :D

So glad to hear this! We've been doing TT for 2 years now, and I've often wondered how testing would turn out. We plan to test this spring so I'm anxious to see how we do!

Thanks, everybody. I couldn't be prouder of my kiddos. It's funny that I always thought of DS as the math guy but DD just blew the test out of the water. However, I will say that DS does not work quickly so the timed factor was definitely an issue. I'll bet if he took an untimed test, his math scores would have been through the roof, too. Loving TT!!! :D

I don't know how to quote another poster, but someone mentioned that TT changed their child's attitude about math. I completely agree! My DD (9) is in her second year with TT. She has never been a math-oriented kid, but she was especially frustrated in 2nd grade. I moved her into TT 4 for 3rd grade and it was the best thing I could have done for her. TT has boosted her confidence in herself. She views herself as "good at math" and she actually enjoys math now. She's come a long way from the tears and "I can't do this" that we were dealing with before TT. To me, that change in her is worth a lot more than a good test score (even though the test score is nice too). So I just shrug when people say TT is "behind" because we've had great success with it, in both test scores and self-confidence in math. :)

Melissa :)

I was scared to use TT for years because of all the comments about it being behind.

This year I had to find something they could use without me having to teach it and I looked and researched and looked and googled, etc. And I compared the TOC from certain algebra books and found there is not that much of a difference.

I do not see TT as behind at all!!!

Why do so many people do 1 or 2 grades above?

Are the placement tests accurate? Looking at them I can see ds placing in TT 6 or SM 5.

Stephanie

I didn't use a placement test. I just put her in TT3 and assumed it would be "too easy," based on the TOC. I was wrong. It was exactly the right challenge level for her. I had over-estimated what she'd retained from previous years. Homegirl needs review.revew.review. or nothing sticks.

Having said that, I don't know that "so many" do use it 1-2 levels ahead. Surely some do, but I don't know if that means most do. As for why.... Different kids, different ages, different skills, different math background? I don't know. I see many parents on this board using "1st grade" math with K-age children. That might be part of it. Who knows....

TT follows a different scope and sequence that SM and, as far as I can tell, includes A LOT of review every year (at least in level 3 - which we're using - and the other grades I looked at). So, when you see a lesson "addition with carrying" in TT4, for example, it's a review lesson. TT isn't teaching it for the first time.

In our house we love review. Older DD needs it or all of the new knowledge leaks out of her cute head. YKMV - Your Kiddo May Vary :)

Mine are working ahead just because they're getting through it fast. I started DS with is in 2nd grade, doing TT3 because that is the lowest they have. He placed into it via the placement test so we went with it. He's been mathy all along so he didn't have any trouble. Then, DD decided it looked like fun and asked to use it for this year. Since she's in 4th, and DS had finished TT3, I started them both on TT4 last August. They're almost done with it now and so will be moving to TT5 in a few weeks. As I intend to keep math going through the summer, I see no reason to wait for it til fall. They'll just move on into TT5 when they finish 4.

Mine are working ahead just because they're getting through it fast. I started DS with is in 2nd grade, doing TT3 because that is the lowest they have. He placed into it via the placement test so we went with it. He's been mathy all along so he didn't have any trouble. Then, DD decided it looked like fun and asked to use it for this year. Since she's in 4th, and DS had finished TT3, I started them both on TT4 last August. They're almost done with it now and so will be moving to TT5 in a few weeks. As I intend to keep math going through the summer, I see no reason to wait for it til fall.

They'll just move on into TT5 when they finish 4.

I really enjoy reading all the TT success stories.

We're about 50 lessons into TT3 and I'm so proud of the progress my DD has made. The other day she was doing her lesson and she turned and smiled at me and said, "I'm good at math." :D It's not always easy for her, but it's such a friendly program (weird description, but true), that she's motivated to keep going.

Yep. :) That was my experience with TT, too. Our first year using it (at grade level, no supplementing), my daughter got great standardized test scores, DEFINITELY not those of a "behind" student or program. I've heard plenty of other people say that, too. Love TT!

Your post about your DD's success was what inspired me to give TT a go -- and on grade level, too. ;) I'm so grateful you shared your story.

I was scared to use TT for years because of all the comments about it being behind.

This year I had to find something they could use without me having to teach it and I looked and researched and looked and googled, etc. And I compared the TOC from certain algebra books and found there is not that much of a difference.

I do not see TT as behind at all!!!

This was our experience as well. I almost didn't get it because I thought it was lacking based on posts, but it has changed math in our house. I will say I have had to supplement multiplication drills, but I think every program needs separate drill memorizations based on what I see when I look at other materials.

We are going to stay with it since it works, my kiddos are happy, and no more math fights.

Why do so many people do 1 or 2 grades above?

Are the placement tests accurate? Looking at them I can see ds placing in TT 6 or SM 5.

Stephanie

We use it on level. My 7th grader tested between math 7 and pre-alg and I am glad we went with Math 7. Same with my 2 1/2 grader. He is in TT3 and seems right on target. But the lessons are pretty quick in the lower level so we could easily finish a level in less than a year, but I use that time to cement math facts through games.

They are accurate in IME but the program does run a year behind on average so for a grade level 4th grader you would order TT5.

TT is not behind. Your DC might be slightly ahead :)

Its scope and sequence is different than some other programs, and it has a lot more review built into each level and from level to level, but it is not behind. Take the placement test, use common sense, consider your DC's need for / tolerance of review and then decide from there.

TT is not behind. Your DC might be slightly ahead :)

Its scope and sequence is different than some other programs, and it has a lot more review built into each level and from level to level, but it is not behind. Take the placement test, use common sense, consider your DC's need for / tolerance of review and then decide from there.

Odd thing is, the majority of people find they need to place their child 1 level above above their grade level to be doing the same thing kids in that grade level are. Its the advice I find from nearly everyone who has used the program, rarely have I found a family that used it as TT3 with a 3rd grader who was happy with that level, most would need TT4.

Odd thing is, the majority of people find they need to place their child 1 level above above their grade level to be doing the same thing kids in that grade level are. Its the advice I find from nearly everyone who has used the program, rarely have I found a family that used it as TT3 with a 3rd grader who was happy with that level, most would need TT4.

I'm not sure how it could be considered behind when typical (non-accelerated) kids are using the level that matches their grade and scoring very well on grade-level standardized tests.

Nearly everyone I know whose kids are using the program (IRL and online) uses it at grade level, so I guess we just run in different circles.

Having said that, my younger DD (1st grader) was using TT3 until she got bored. That's what's great about homeschooling. The number on the box doesn't need to match the grade on the paperwork :)

I'm not sure how it could be considered behind when typical (non-accelerated) kids are using the level that matches their grade and scoring very well on grade-level standardized tests.

Nearly everyone I know whose kids are using the program (IRL and online) uses it at grade level, so I guess we just run in different circles.

Having said that, my younger DD (1st grader) was using TT3 until she got bored. That's what's great about homeschooling. The number on the box doesn't need to match the grade on the paperwork :)

Maybe we do just run in different circles.

This was our experience as well. I almost didn't get it because I thought it was lacking based on posts, but it has changed math in our house. I will say I have had to supplement multiplication drills, but I think every program needs separate drill memorizations based on what I see when I look at other materials.

We are going to stay with it since it works, my kiddos are happy, and no more math fights.

We do flash cards 4 days a week. Monday: addition, Tuesday:subtraction, Thursday: multiplication, Friday: division. This is for my 3rd, 4th, and 6th graders.

My 11th grader is behind using algebra 1, but 6th grader is ahead using pre-algebra, my 4th grader is on target using 4th, and my 3rd grader is going to start 3rd next week.

I think it just depends on the child. Some kids excel at math and love it, so their parents use curric that challenges them, some kids excel and just want to get it done, some are on target, some behind.

I can't teach math because I've never liked it, never been good at it, and need someone else to do the teaching. And grading. lol

I'd rather teach other things.

Through a complicated circumstance, this yea I have a 4th grader in PS and a 4th grader at home. My homeschooled 4th grader is doing TT5. That child is miles ahead of the public schooled one. The school itself has perfectly respectable PSSA results for 4th grade math, so take all this as you will. I'm certainly not sold on TT being "behind" anymore.

Through a complicated circumstance, this yea I have a 4th grader in PS and a 4th grader at home. My homeschooled 4th grader is doing TT5. That child is miles ahead of the public schooled one. The school itself has perfectly respectable PSSA results for 4th grade math, so take all this as you will. I'm certainly not sold on TT being "behind" anymore.

I don't see TT as being behind either. My 7th grader is using TT7 and his work is actually ahead of his BF's who is in public school. Now of course some kids are taking pre-algebra in 7th, but having come out of the public school this year, I didn't think he was ready, but I see it as ahead of the public kids who are learning Math 7. Same with my 3rd grader. He scored wonderfully on his testing, and he is using it on level. If a person does consider it behind, I would wonder if they also think MUS is behind since it also has a different sequence? I am hearing from too many actual people who have used it for a few years on level and are doing great to assume that it is behind. Now I will agree that it is easier than other math programs we have used. It is easier because my kids finally understand, and the way it spirals they don't get frustrated. But easy doesn't equal behind. Instead I think of it as proof that the program is a good match for the child and the program is "talking" that child's math language.

I really don't have anything to prove, we like it, my kids are progressing, and their test scores and retention are excellent. The reason I am responding is because I like so many others reading the forums read that it was behind and wished I had more voices stating it wasn't so I had looked at it sooner.