Menu

When does coughing become ER worthy?

My whole family has been down with cold/allergies for the last month or so. My youngest usually has snot rivers down the front of his face instead of drainage down his throat during these issues. Yesterday I was thrilled to see him cleared up. Then the coughing began. :glare: He coughed on and off throughout the afternoon but starting around 5 it got worse. He was coughing every few minutes at that point. He settled down over dinner, but bedtime was horrible. He finally coughed until he threw up. At that point I had already given him cough syrup, Zrytec, and Singular (last 2 are daily meds). I let him come out of his room and sit on the couch, but he was still coughing miserably. Around 10 I gave him Benedryl hoping to at least knock him out and put him to bed around 11. I heard him coughing off and on until 12, but after that I was out cold. I found out this morning he threw up again, but hit the emergency bucket so hadn't bothered to come tell me. DH doesn't think any of this would justify an ER trip. After the first vomit, I started to worry it might be an asthma attack, but didn't seem to be having issues actually breathing. DH talked me down from running to the ER and my son made it through the night. Of course this morning he is coughing again. So at what point do you consider going to the ER for someone just presenting a cough?

I would take him to the doctor asap, though not necessarily the ER. If you can't get into the doctor's office, take him to an urgent care center. Our Urgent care clinics are a lot less expensive than the ER.

I would skip the cough syrup and Benadryl and give him Mucinex or Robitussin instead. Coughing isn't necessarily a bad thing--it's how your body gets rid of all that gunk! I don't use suppressants except to help the kids sleep.

When my dd gets like that with colds, the pediatrician told me to have her on the inhaller every 4 hours.

In your scenario, I'd take him into the doctor for an appt.

This was what I was thinking except he doesn't have an inhaler prescribed. I am taking him to the urgent care clinic (not the ER, just the place to go when your Dr can't get you in) today as the cough is getting worse again and my Dr can't see him until tomorrow.

I would take him to the doctor asap, though not necessarily the ER. If you can't get into the doctor's office, take him to an urgent care center. Our Urgent care clinics are a lot less expensive than the ER.

I would skip the cough syrup and Benadryl and give him Mucinex or Robitussin instead. Coughing isn't necessarily a bad thing--it's how your body gets rid of all that gunk! I don't use suppressants except to help the kids sleep.

Oh, it was children's Mucinex with both the suppressant and expectorant that I gave him. The Benadryl was a last ditch effort to at least get the boy asleep.

This was what I was thinking except he doesn't have an inhaler prescribed. I am taking him to the urgent care clinic (not the ER, just the place to go when your Dr can't get you in) today as the cough is getting worse again and my Dr can't see him until tomorrow.

I do not understand it when doctors won't see a sick child until the next day. :mad:

I do not understand it when doctors won't see a sick child until the next day. :mad:

yikes on the no dr appt. I LOVE OUR PRACTICE.

they have sick call EVERY DAY M-F 7:30 -9am, get there before 9 am and you will be seen that morning. SO very thankful for that and seriously have only used it a handful of times.

They actually have it on Sat from 9-noon, but you have to call in the morning for those appts. They also have evening appts, those cost a bit more out of pocket but it is still available.

[ETA - I read more carefully and see you plan to take him in. Good!]

Lift his shirt and take a look at his chest. If his skin pulls/sinks in between his ribs as he breathes or coughs, call your doctor now. The triage nurse will probably tell you to bring him in and make time on the schedule today.

Otherwise, make an appointment. The coughing, to the point of throwing up, could be a sign of a respiratory issue that needs attention. Wouldn't you feel better having someone listen to his lungs instead of continuing to throw OTC meds at it?

Sorry if I sound stern - I have strong feelings after having witnessed kids suffer through untreated asthma. Breathing is not optional!

It could also be caused by a chronic ear and/or sinus infection. Low grade infections can be present without fever and the drainage causes cough-producing irritation.

Hope your little guy feels better soon.

Edited by AuntieM

For future reference for coughing like that last night, I would take them in to the ER if it is accompanied by high fever unrelieved by the Tylenol/Motrin rotation or any breathing difficulty, including audible wheezing or whistling, elevated respiratory rate (20-24 is "normal" for 5yr old, >40 would worry me), increased work of breathing - all the little breathing muscles are can be observed during inspiration, nasal flaring, chest muscles above, below and between the ribs and in the neck. My youngest had a bad case of pneumonia when he was 6. We went to the ER when his T was 105 and he was shaking.

I'd only do ER for life threatening stuff--if there were signs of struggling to breath (retractions, blue lips, or asthma with no rescue meds available for example) or perhaps signs of a serious bacterial infection (very high fever esp unrelieved by meds particularly following a viral infection).

Is this child asthmatic? If so I'd be terrified not having an inhaler at home/on his person all the time.

In your situation I'd be wondering about pertussis. :grouphug: I hope it's not that and he has a better night tonight.

Edited by sbgrace

The two things to watch out for in respiratory distress are contractions and difficulty speaking. The contractions are when the abdomen distends out and pulls in, also the 'suction" between the ribs that auntiem mentions. Difficulty speaking is also a sign of something serious. Don't necessarily depend on hearing a "wheeze" because at a certain point the bronchial tubes are so constricted that they can't even make the wheezing sound. Difficulty speaking/ contracting and no wheezing sound is very serious.

The two things to watch out for in respiratory distress are contractions and difficulty speaking. The contractions are when the abdomen distends out and pulls in, also the 'suction" between the ribs that auntiem mentions. Difficulty speaking is also a sign of something serious. Don't necessarily depend on hearing a "wheeze" because at a certain point the bronchial tubes are so constricted that they can't even make the wheezing sound. Difficulty speaking/ contracting and no wheezing sound is very serious.

Accessory muscle use and retractions. Not contractions. Difficulty speaking and shortness of breath are also signs of increased work of breathing. Most people will have an audible wheeze before their airway constricts to the point where they no longer have any wheezing. But yes, when their airway is so tight there's no wheezing and they cant string 2-3 words together without gasping for air, they're in serious respiratory trouble by then. Those kids end up on several days' of o2 and IV steroids.

Dd19 had it when she was 4 and she coughed for six months!!!! It was an absolute nightmare.

And nothing helped. Not narcotic cough syrup, not breathing treatments, not expectorants - nothing! We even resorted to "grandma's homemade cough syrup", which is really just whiskey and peppermint. That didn't work either.

He was diagnosed with a sinus infection. They did an RSV test and a strep test, both came back negative. He has green junk (Dr. words) up his nose and his slightly inflamed lymph nodes. Hopefully the antibiotic will clear it all up. Oh, and in typical child behavior, the child that couldn't go 2 minutes without coughing at home suddenly got all better sitting at the doctor's office. Well at least while the nurse and doctor were in the room, as soon as they walked out, he coughed.

He was diagnosed with a sinus infection. They did an RSV test and a strep test, both came back negative. He has green junk (Dr. words) up his nose and his slightly inflamed lymph nodes. Hopefully the antibiotic will clear it all up. Oh, and in typical child behavior, the child that couldn't go 2 minutes without coughing at home suddenly got all better sitting at the doctor's office. Well at least while the nurse and doctor were in the room, as soon as they walked out, he coughed.

I'm glad it's only a sinus infection -- still a real nuisance, but not as scary as some of the other possibilities!

LOL about the "temporary cure" at the doctor's office! It always seems to work that way, doesn't it? :D

:lol: Doesn't that just make you crazy?!!

I am glad that what he has can be easily fixed. I wouldn't wish a sinus infection on anyone, but that's really much better than asthma, RSV or pertussis. RSV has been bad around here this year.

Thanks for updating.

We'd go to the ER (and have) if it was causing an asthma attack that I couldn't control, or if it was also accompanied by a fever that was dangerously high that I couldn't bring down. Otherwise, I'd wait until morning.

What has helped us get through the night with a child like that is to sit with him in the bathroom while the shower was running as hot as it can go, creating a steam room. (He wouldn't be IN the shower.)

Once he's back in bed, have him sitting upright, not lying flat.

Haha! That always happens!!! :tongue_smilie: