Menu

College dd in ER- could use prayers

TravelingChris

DD 18 had to go to the ER. She keeps fainting. SHe is very tired. We already know she has low blood pressure but this is much worse than normal. She saw student health doctors last night who have gotten her an appointment with a cardiologist locally there. She did have very low end of normal with the iron so they did recommend multivitamins with iron and they took more tests which haven't come back yet. In the ER, they have her hooked up to an EKG and are taking more blood plus giving her an IV. SHe has a test on Thursday, already missed some math homework because of the incidents last night and this morning, and it looks like she will miss all her classes today. We also need to be making a decision about housing for next year and right now, without knowing more about what else is wrong with her, I am very reluctant to sign a lease for next year. If she continues to be doing so poorly, she may need to transfer to the local branch- UA Huntsville and live at home so I can take care of her and maybe she needs to only go to school part time. I don't really know anything at this point. She did very well first semester and only had minimal problems with fainting or lightheadedness.

Tell her to focus on getting better. She may have to get back into things gradually. I got sick in college one semester and everyone was very understanding about giving me a lot of extra time to get caught up and finish my work. It was slow but sure, I got done without getting an "incomplete" which would also have been a viable option.

We are thinking of her here and sending healthy thoughts her way.

Is she eating enough? That could explain the anaemia and fainting.

I hope you can get to the bottom of this asap.:grouphug: Both my D and myself have low blood pressure and get dizzy and fainty. It is usually if we stand still for long periods or get up too quickly. Anaemia can cause dizziness/fainting too. I am glad they are checking her heart.

Yes, it was anemia, as I expected. They gave her an IV with extra salt and also iron and she did feel much better. She is now on iron pills and will be going to the cardiologist in very early March. She is forbidden from attending classes until next Monday because they want her iron levels to go up to the normal level first. I am going to be calling her this morning since she needs to notify her dean, disability services, etc. She is very smart and hardworking when not passing out so with spring break soon, I think she will be able to catch up, if everyone is understanding.

Thank you for all your prayers.

Yes, it was anemia, as I expected. They gave her an IV with extra salt and also iron and she did feel much better. She is now on iron pills and will be going to the cardiologist in very early March. She is forbidden from attending classes until next Monday because they want her iron levels to go up to the normal level first. I am going to be calling her this morning since she needs to notify her dean, disability services, etc. She is very smart and hardworking when not passing out so with spring break soon, I think she will be able to catch up, if everyone is understanding.

Thank you for all your prayers.

Glad she is doing better so quickly. I hope her profs are understanding as well. That's a lot of class to miss!

Still could be using prayers. It has been a week since she went to student health and tomorrow a week from the ER. She has a lot of work to do this week and she is still feeling very weak. On her return visit to student health on Friday, they were happy to hear she has an appointment with a cardiologist on Friday because they do have some concerns that the anemia is not just due to her being a female and maybe not eating enough meat. Apparently the way she is still having problems may indicate that something else is causing the anemia- such as internal bleeding or another underlying disorder. I have told her to prioritize her assignments and study time and do the best she can. She has lots of assignments and tests to do this week. We really hope that she starts feeling better but if not, she may need to medically withdraw. That is what we would like prayers for- that she starts getting better and that she can continue in college. She really wants to continue and wants to do well like she did first semester.

Her cardiologist visit didn't go very well.:001_huh: They have a shortage of monitors and they want her to come back to get a heart monitor, echocardiogram , and more blood tests when she gets the monitor. SHe will be back here on Thursday for spring break. I am going to be talking with her about who she wants to see here. I think she probably needs to see a hematologist. The doctor did tell her that it would take 6 to 8 weeks for her to feel better. I really don't know what to recommend. I am very concerned that her anemia issues seem to be getting worse, not better. That makes me suspect that she doesn't have iron deficiency anemia and I can't really see why she should. Her periods were never heavy, and she is a big meat eater.

Her cardiologist visit didn't go very well.:001_huh: They have a shortage of monitors and they want her to come back to get a heart monitor, echocardiogram , and more blood tests when she gets the monitor. SHe will be back here on Thursday for spring break. I am going to be talking with her about who she wants to see here. I think she probably needs to see a hematologist. The doctor did tell her that it would take 6 to 8 weeks for her to feel better. I really don't know what to recommend. I am very concerned that her anemia issues seem to be getting worse, not better. That makes me suspect that she doesn't have iron deficiency anemia and I can't really see why she should. Her periods were never heavy, and she is a big meat eater.

Keep us updated, please. I'm keeping her in prayers. :grouphug:

I'm sorry Chris:grouphug:

Would you consider taking her to Bham for treatment? I know Huntsville has good healthcare as well. Just thinking you may get better answers at UAB.

SHe is finally feeling a bit better. I talked to her and she said the cardiologist wants to do a month long Holter monitor. I am really unclear what that is about. She has already been on monitors twice in her life before and nothing was ever found. She has also had at least four echocardiograms of her heart and again, nothing except minor mitral valve found. I am attempting to get a hematologist appointment for her. She will be back here on Thursday late afternoon.

SHe is finally feeling a bit better. I talked to her and she said the cardiologist wants to do a month long Holter monitor. I am really unclear what that is about. She has already been on monitors twice in her life before and nothing was ever found. She has also had at least four echocardiograms of her heart and again, nothing except minor mitral valve found. I am attempting to get a hematologist appointment for her. She will be back here on Thursday late afternoon.

Has she done a Holter before? My ds did this at regular intervals as a baby. He had to carry a small recording device that was hooked up to a bunch of electrodes which were adhered to his chest. When he got a bit older we put the recording device in a backpack for him. It was a real pain trying to keep everything set up and functioning with an active toddler. For an adult, though, it's not as big a deal.

Given her history, I would be tempted to insist on a 24-hour or 7-day trial first. Also, have they done an ultrasound of her heart?

I am praying and hoping she gets well soon.

I also hope they test her for Leukemia, as this is a first sign and can affect any person. I pray it is not, and they rule it out. But she needs to find out too if it is or not. My father was diagnosed and tiredness, anemia were his first signs.

Praying for healing.