Menu

If long-term happiness was an academic subject

What would you do to work towards mastery? :001_smile:

I was thinking today about how more of our time should be spent on things that will lead to long-term happiness. What kind of things can we do? Here are some ideas I've come up with (just brainstorming):

- time in nature

- time to create (through art, craft, writing, music)

- fostering relationships (maybe by keeping in touch with family, explicitly talking about how to maintain friendships, etc.)

- developing a strong value system

- developing persistence, a good work ethic, empathy

- reading biographies and literature that give life wisdom

Any ideas to add?

Sleep (very important and deserves eight or nine hours of study per day)

Thinking (thinking is the first step to doing, so I suppose being better at thinking means what you do can be better too?)

A good vocabulary (it's really annoying when I can't find the words to express myself properly, not to mention it is hard to think about words when you don't know what they mean)

Food (Epicurus said for a person to be happy they need freedom, good quality friends and an analysed life. I suppose good food seemed too basic to mention, because I can't imagine how else he could have neglected to mention it!)

Rosie

Edited by Rosie_0801

I just read this this morning in a bible study. Not sure if it'll be helpful or not!

The truly happy are those who carefully study God's perfect law that makes people free, and they continue to study it. They do not forget what they heard, but they obey what God's teaching says. Those who do this will be made happy.

Max Lucado. Life Lessons: Book of John (Inspirational Bible Study) (Kindle Locations 50-51). Kindle Edition.

I've never really thought about it before, because I am a generally pessimistic person ;) But, I admittedly didn't read the Bible much until a year or so ago, even though I grew up in the church. And now that I think about it - honestly just today - I see that I have been much, much happier in this past six months or so than an any other time in my life.

So, I personally would start with the Bible. Everything after that might just be "extras" :)

Edited by knit247
spelling

I think it's important for siblings to learn to tolerate, respect, enjoy, and appreciate each other. Then as they get older, they will have each other to help get through the good and bad times. This knowledge should also transfer to good non-sibling relationships, one would hope.

All the other things mentioned here are important, too. I agree that reading the Bible can be surprisingly uplifting (for someone who was not really raised to view it that way).

Faith-whatever your beliefs, you should hold them deeply and meet with others of the same beliefs

Family&Friends-there should be actual time spent with each other, preferably over food sometimes

Physical- we get so wrapped up in our mental selves we forget we are physical beings, we need sleep, good food, time outdoors, hugs, TeA, and I suspect bubble baths

Me personally-I also need books, music, gut busting laughter, word play, sunshine and a chance to create things

What would you do to work towards mastery? :001_smile:

I was thinking today about how more of our time should be spent on things that will lead to long-term happiness. What kind of things can we do? Here are some ideas I've come up with (just brainstorming):

- time in nature

- time to create (through art, craft, writing, music)

- fostering relationships (maybe by keeping in touch with family, explicitly talking about how to maintain friendships, etc.)

- developing a strong value system

- developing persistence, a good work ethic, empathy

- reading biographies and literature that give life wisdom

Any ideas to add?

Totally agree with all you have, but I bolded this part because I believe so many overlook it. I think in order to be happy and successful in life you will need to learn to overcome adversity and be resilient. A happy childhood is a huge part of that, but I also believe that making a kid too comfortable can be detrimental long-term.

Margaret

Counting your blessings. This is something I'm working on for myself--finding contentment, even in a moment of discontent. For example, I often lament over my house (no money to fix it up, no money to buy a "better" one, everyone has a nicer house than me, etc.), and I can get myself feeling pretty sorry over it. But when I catch myself doing it, I try to start thinking about the people we know who are struggling to hold on to their houses, or who have to rent in spite of desperately wishing they owned, or who don't have a home at all and have to live with family, and so on.

I try to model this out loud for the kids. If I catch myself moaning out loud about something, I try to also give the positive counterpoint out loud. When I have the kids in quiet moments, I try to find opportunities to tell stories that emphasize this. It's not easy because I was not raised this way at all, but I think it's critical for future happiness.

In the same vein, I think TV and magazines (for adults, not kids) really contribute to (and capitalize on) this feeling of discontent. If I could go back and do one thing over again, it would be have eliminated TV from the start. It really skews the way we view the world, I think.

Learn about your own psychology. Take a personality test to understand how you tick and what you need to feel appreciated and fulfilled.

For me, changing jobs to something that was more in line with my personality made me so much happier. I wish I had known these things as a teenager instead of finding them out at age 30.

Getting into the routine of taking time out/me time to have time to evaluate life and think and refresh the brain.

I read a (rubbish chick lit) book once where the main character had one evening a week that was preciously guarded quiet time, the phone wasn't answered, no outside plans were made, no catching up on things were done, it was true down time. It sounded lovely.

I like the quote, "Happiness is wanting what you have, not having what you want." Translates to an attitude of thankfulness to me. And I'll agree a bit with a pp about lowering expectations, or at least not thinking that you have to be a millionaire or highly successful business person or have perfect children in order to be happy.

Patience, independence, resiliency developed from learning how to take care of themselves, and how to handle delayed gratification.

:iagree::iagree::iagree:

To piggy-back on this, it's become very important to me that I nurture my kids' self-determination, particularly as it applies to how/what they learn. My long-term goal for them is to be able to 'steer their own ships,' and they cannot do that if the majority of their day is scheduled by ME.

Here are two big points:

1. Read the Bible every day and do what it says. Jesus said:

"The thief comes only to steal and kill and destroy; I have come that they may have life, and have it to the full." John 10:10

2. Teach your kids to work to earn money, to be frugal, and to learn how to manage a budget. Teach them not to spend money on an item simply because it is a status item.

We give our kids a monthly assignment to do to earn money, and then we pay them the prescribed amount so that they can learn to manage it. It is a small amount now since they are young, but it will increase later. We follow Dave Ramsey's guide to teach our kids to put some in giving, some in savings (a bank account), and some in spending. If my kids want to buy a toy, they have to budget for it. (They have learned that their money goes a lot farther at the used toy store rather than at Target.)

***I know many people who are ruined financially because they were never taught these principles. If you can gain financial stability in your life, it will relieve a lot of stress and pressure, and it will often free you to be able to pursue your highest purposes.

Self-sufficiency:

You are responsible for providing yourself with anything you think you want - including possessions, experiences, love, career, and so on - by earning it, procuring it, taking care of it, and disposing of it responsibly when it's done/over/no longer serves you.

Once you wholly own responsibility for yourself, your actions, your feelings and your desires, not much can get you down.

I think keeping a daily gratitude journal is a school-ish thing to do that will reap great benefits in generating happines. There's a lot that has been said on the subject.

This book and this book are all about it.

Also, I recently saw a segment regarding gratitude journals on the Dr. Oz. The health guru Dr. Weil was touting gratitude journals as a key to good health. here.

For me:

1) Learning to trust in God completely and not just trying to do it all on my own, what a relief not to try to do everything on my own

2) Reading the Bible, praying constantly

3) Living out my values it is hard to be happy whenever you are a rotten person

4) Figuring out what are the real priorities in life, what is worth putting all your effort, heart and soul and forgetting the rest

5) Surrounding myself with positive people that build me up having friends in faith to keep me encouraged

6) Being truthful and honest in all things and always being myself

7) Letting go of my perfectionism(still working on that :) )

8) No gluten(gluten= depression for me)