Menu

Engineering Is Elementary

Beth in SW WA

I have no experience with it, but it looks intriguing. If the books are high in quality, they might be worth the price. I took a quick look through the materials list, and it looks like putting together a kit for one student on your own wouldn't be too difficult or expensive (maybe a little time-consuming though). So, no talking off the ledge here. :001_smile: Let us know how it goes!

Guest Jeff Odell

Hi there. I'm the new outreach director for Engineering is Elementary, so, naturally, I'm not going to try to "talk you off the ledge." But I do have a few ideas to share.

While the cost of our materials is quite modest in the context of school curriculum materials, I can see how it might be prohibitive for an individual family. The materials list for each unit is posted on the website ( http://www.mos.org/eie/20_unit.php ), and, for some kits, you could probably put one together for less than the cost of ordering from us.

As far as the storybooks and teacher's guides go, I'd just have to say that they're well worth the money. I just joined EiE after 12 years of elementary teaching, and I have been incredibly impressed with the quality of the curriculum--they are thorough, detailed, rich, interesting, challenging, and fun. The storybooks are tremendously valuable because they provide a context and compelling rationale for the engineering activities. So often students are simply given an activity to do for its own sake, but that doesn't really respect how children learn.

You might also like to know that the EiE team is currently developing a curriculum called Engineering Adventures ( http://www.mos.org/eie/engineeringadventures ) intended for out-of-school-time settings, such as after-school programs and camps. While it is not as academic and is not aligned to curriculum standards, it will have the advantage of being free. The first several units are in testing now and should be available by the fall of 2012.

Good luck!

...Jeff

Hi there. I'm the new outreach director for Engineering is Elementary, so, naturally, I'm not going to try to "talk you off the ledge." But I do have a few ideas to share.

While the cost of our materials is quite modest in the context of school curriculum materials, I can see how it might be prohibitive for an individual family. The materials list for each unit is posted on the website ( http://www.mos.org/eie/20_unit.php ), and, for some kits, you could probably put one together for less than the cost of ordering from us.

As far as the storybooks and teacher's guides go, I'd just have to say that they're well worth the money. I just joined EiE after 12 years of elementary teaching, and I have been incredibly impressed with the quality of the curriculum--they are thorough, detailed, rich, interesting, challenging, and fun. The storybooks are tremendously valuable because they provide a context and compelling rationale for the engineering activities. So often students are simply given an activity to do for its own sake, but that doesn't really respect how children learn.

You might also like to know that the EiE team is currently developing a curriculum called Engineering Adventures ( http://www.mos.org/eie/engineeringadventures ) intended for out-of-school-time settings, such as after-school programs and camps. While it is not as academic and is not aligned to curriculum standards, it will have the advantage of being free. The first several units are in testing now and should be available by the fall of 2012.

Good luck!

...Jeff

Thanks for chiming in, Jeff. I've been playing phone tag with a sweet gal at your office for the last couple weeks. I'll stick with my original plan to order the electrical engineering TM/book to start with. I have no doubt I'll be hooked.

This thread on another forum is helpful.

Thanks again, Jeff.

The company should consider some sort of homeschool package. Once word gets out around here it spreads like wild fire. ;)
Great idea! ;) (Hint... hint...)

Honestly...

I know it is a pain in the rear to gather up supplies for science. That is the big downfall of most homeschool science programs.

But EiE's kits are geared for 30 students. :001_huh: That is a lot of tape, aluminum foil, sponges, etc.

I have not seen the books (though I have drooled over their website for months now!) but I would just go with the books/TM and plan on spending a weekend putting together your own science kit. Looking over all the pictures, I don't see many things that are too difficult to locate on your own.

Or... Plan your own science camp!

Maybe offer it two days - 15 students each day, charge $15 a student for supplies.

Okay. Just dreaming there.

I would love to offer science classes, but am not organized enough - nor do I have the space for more than a few children in my house at a time.

Thanks for chiming in, Jeff. I've been playing phone tag with a sweet gal at your office for the last couple weeks. I'll stick with my original plan to order the electrical engineering TM/book to start with. I have no doubt I'll be hooked.

This thread on another forum is helpful.

Thanks again, Jeff.

I think I will also try one of the books and start gathering materials. Beth, could you tell us why you are ordering electrical engineering first? There are quite a few choices. I was thinking of material engineering, but some of the others look great as well.

I think I will also try one of the books and start gathering materials. Beth, could you tell us why you are ordering electrical engineering first? There are quite a few choices. I was thinking of material engineering, but some of the others look great as well.

They all look terrific! Tough choice...but the Alarm unit is a top seller so I'm assuming it is a great place to start. Plus, it sounds fascinating and I have supplemental materials here to add to it -- along w/ resources/labs at our local science center.

Went to look at your dream school's price :) and couldn't find it :) I think you should start one, and we'll drive over for it ;)

:auto:

Looks lovely.... we'll be waiting to hear how everyone likes it :)

You're sweet, Carrie. I would love to have a school like this nearby. I'm trying to piece together a STEM'ish program for dds. Thankfully I have a wonderful scientist friend who is going to start tutoring Abi on Fridays in chemistry. I don't do messes. :)

I'm assuming the alarm unit goes way beyond the experiments and terms in Snap Circuits, right? Ds has built a lot of alarms on his own both in the book and of his own design, so I'd want to be sure he was challenged enough by this unit.

Why is there no way to view a sample of the teacher guides online?

Edited by FairProspects

Let me know how it goes once you have tried it. I'd love to add some units like this as a change of pace from our Earth Science study for ds next year.

Beth, I'm also going to hold off ordering the unit until you've had a chance to use it and tell us your opinion. I'm just curious to know exactly what's in the TM that would justify the cost.

I'm assuming the alarm unit goes way beyond the experiments and terms in Snap Circuits, right? Ds has built a lot of alarms on his own both in the book and of his own design, so I'd want to be sure he was challenged enough by this unit.

They suggest this FOSS unit in the TM.

http://lhsfoss.org/fossweb/teachers/parents/pdfs/magnetism_homeschool_eng.pdf

Have you used this Snap Circuits?

Have you used this Snap Circuits?

Yup, that's the one we have but we also have upgraded a couple of times. I think at this point ds has done all the Snap Circuits experiments.

Hmm. Looking at the Foss sample, we've covered all that in Supercharged Science and Engineering Camp. I might have to look at another unit instead. Anyone want to try out some of the Geology or Astronomy ones for me? :D

Yup, that's the one we have but we also have upgraded a couple of times. I think at this point ds has done all the Snap Circuits experiments.

Hmm. Looking at the Foss sample, we've covered all that in Supercharged Science and Engineering Camp. I might have to look at another unit instead. Anyone want to try out some of the Geology or Astronomy ones for me? :D

I'm not as brave as Beth, but I'm willing to try any of the subjects as long as I can get more info on the TM. I'm willing to wait for Beth.

Beth, no pressure (as we all await eagerly for your review). :D

Alright, I'll bite.

I spent all day planning out next fall's unit study of Astronomy, so we'll finish that up with 4-5 weeks on EiE's Aerospace & Astronomy Engineering unit. Then we'll visit the Museum of Flight at Boeing Field once the new Space Wing opens up. I ordered the manual so I'll report back once we try it.

Alright, I'll bite.

I spent all day planning out next fall's unit study of Astronomy, so we'll finish that up with 4-5 weeks on EiE's Aerospace & Astronomy Engineering unit. Then we'll visit the Museum of Flight at Boeing Field once the new Space Wing opens up. I ordered the manual so I'll report back once we try it.

:party:

Dd7 just spent 3 hours working on SC tonight. She's hooked. She told me she wants to build an alarm clock to wake herself up in the mornings. It's a sign that I was supposed to order the EiE kit.
DS received an electronics learning lab from Radio Shack for Christmas. It really sparked something with him... (Oh, has it sparked something in him. :tongue_smilie:)

If you have a RS nearby, you might want to check out what they have available. We have found the employees at the two stores near us to be extremely helpful, interested in talking with DS about his project.

DS liked the Snap Circuits but was so limited by what they could do, that they didn't hold his attention for more than a week. RS has kits they can build, plus numerous books.

DS received an electronics learning lab from Radio Shack for Christmas. It really sparked something with him... (Oh, has it sparked something in him. :tongue_smilie:)

If you have a RS nearby, you might want to check out what they have available. We have found the employees at the two stores near us to be extremely helpful, interested in talking with DS about his project.

DS liked the Snap Circuits but was so limited by what they could do, that they didn't hold his attention for more than a week. RS has kits they can build, plus numerous books.

It's funny you mention Radio Shack. We are heading there later to inquire about Arduino.

It's funny you mention Radio Shack. We are heading there later to inquire about Arduino.
:lol: Have fun. :lol:

(Perhaps you enjoy it to, though? I don't. I will happily purchase whatever my son is interested it, but this is not an area I have an interest in. Dissecting? Sure. Not a problem. Chemistry experiment? Got it. Arduino? My eyes glaze over.)

Our RS had a good book on Arduino. Or so I have been told. A hundred times.

My dh is not going to thank you all. You've convinced me to buy a very expensive TM, are making me think about ordering more Snap Circuit pieces, and now I have to go buy Arduino too?!? You people need to stop finding things ds will love!
My own two cents...

If a child is interested in Arduino, then Snap Circuits will be too elementary for him/her. Ditto the EiE books, sadly. I have been interested in EiE books for some time now, but the "Elementary" in the name has been causing me to hesitate. I'm thankful for that. DS is now reading/using his dad's old college text books and DH's co-workers have been giving him books and supplies, which are more ability/interest appropriate than what I would have bought.

My own two cents...

If a child is interested in Arduino, then Snap Circuits will be too elementary for him/her. Ditto the EiE books, sadly. I have been interested in EiE books for some time now, but the "Elementary" in the name has been causing me to hesitate. I'm thankful for that. DS is now reading/using his dad's old college text books and DH's co-workers have been giving him books and supplies, which are more ability/interest appropriate than what I would have bought.

I think you are right, but I'm not actually sure ds is ready for Arduino yet, at least not the programming part. I may take him to Radio Shack and have him check it out first. He has built a lot of gadgets on his own with LED lights and motors from RS, and he has taken apart and put back together computers (with my dad engineer), but I don't think he has tried anything this difficult yet. Even if he is not ready for it now, it sounds like a great idea to file away for a couple of years from now. :)

I think you are right, but I'm not actually sure ds is ready for Arduino yet, at least not the programming part. I may take him to Radio Shack and have him check it out first. He has built a lot of gadgets on his own with LED lights and motors from RS, and he has taken apart and put back together computers (with my dad engineer), but I don't think he has tried anything this difficult yet. Even if he is not ready for it now, it sounds like a great idea to file away for a couple of years from now. :)

My boys built all kinds of circuits when they were younger with a circuit board kit from Radio Shack and other parts. THis link is a good free source for simple projects. http://www.kpsec.freeuk.com/proj.htm It is easy to find more difficult ones online for free as well.

My boys built all kinds of circuits when they were younger with a circuit board kit from Radio Shack and other parts. THis link is a good free source for simple projects. http://www.kpsec.freeuk.com/proj.htm It is easy to find more difficult ones online for free as well.

Thanks for the link and ideas! I bet ds could build some of these with parts we already have. :)

My EiE TM & book arrived. I have much to learn before I attempt to teach this. Thankfully it is very user-friendly. My girls will love this. Mama just needs to read up on circuits first. :tongue_smilie:

Beth, is the information contained in the TM? Would I have to borrow books to read up on the topic?

Beth, is the information contained in the TM? Would I have to borrow books to read up on the topic?

The TM is complete but I don't feel comfortable tackling electronics unless I get a better grip on the content. We are starting Exploration Ed soon which has an electronics section. So glad.

I am game for a challenge. I plan to own the entire EiE collection. Or at least trade back and forth with members here. :)

Oh wow, what a great looking resource! Dh and DS would love these! Perfect timing we could start the A level books in grade 1 next year... hmmmm... just sent off an email to ask about the dreaded international shipping :(

Bumping to remind you to set up an EiE educator account. The resources are wonderful!!!

What do I do to set up an educator account? My manual arrived yesterday and I've just begun looking at the lesson plans. Some of it we have covered already, but ds said he forgot the terminology :tongue_smilie:so I'm thinking of making him do vocab lists this time. :D