Menu

Engineering Is Elementary

Beth in SW WA

We are half way thru Lerato Cooks Up a Plan. We have a group of 8 and it is going very well! I downsized to an eight week plan and love watching their ideas flow. I am also game to switch units with anyone :)

I would love to hear more about this! How did you find your group of 8? Do you have info/pics/blog? Sounds awesome!

Today I ordered the set of 20 storybooks for dd8's birthday in April. The educator videos on the website sold me on these books. We won't possibly get to all the units - but I can supplement each book with a project or two. Or not. Just reading them will help visualize and appreciate the engineering design process.

Also...I plan to do a geography tie-in with each book.

My wheels are turning. :auto:I am pleading with our science center (OMSI) to start EiE but they are committed to turning the tech lab into a Maker Space -- which is AWESOME!! They have funding for MAKE projects. I will be the first to register dds for those classes.

I sent out emails to friends and two co-op groups. I have an only child and the program is currently set up for a free flowing exchange of ideas between kids. We have both home-schooled and private school kids in our group. Each family kicked in 20.00 to cover cost of materials which I purchased individually.I did not include the cost of the manual in this because I am keeping it. The items I needed for the solar ovens could be bought cheaper than EIE. I did buy each child the same thermometer so our temperatures will be accurate. That was the largest expense. The program incorporates geography, math and other subjects. The story was awesome and led to a nice discussion the first day. There is a storybook included with the teacher's manual. I missed that bit of info and ordered a 2nd one. I will take a picture of our ovens in a couple of weeks. I can tell you we will be doing more of these units :D

Ok, I haven't spent a lot of time in the material yet, but this is my initial assessment.

The materials are very high quality. They come in a nice binder and are professional put together and organized. They are pretty "schooly" with assessments and rubrics, but that is to be expected from a company that is producing kits mostly for schools.

Overall, I think the whole unit is a bit too "elementary school" for us - we have already covered the concepts of drag, load, and airplane design extensively in Supercharged Science's summer camp, and there is little new material here conceptually. We also live near an Air/Space science museum, and have done a lot of unschooling there. I do think the parachute project & testing looks really good, but I feel like we could have done without most of the intro/beginning lessons on the Solar System, atmosphere, technology, etc. but that info is probably there for schools with students from a variety of backgrounds.

We are definitely going to use it because it looks really fun, but I'm not sure I'll pay for another kit at the current prices. There is just too much material we won't use because it is made for schools (worksheets/rubrics/assessments) or we've already covered it and need minimal review. If they were to come out with a less expensive TM that was more homeschool friendly, I would be more interested. I also might be interested in levels produced with more in-depth engineering or building projects for 5-7th grade. JMHO and depending on science background YMMV.

Ok, I haven't spent a lot of time in the material yet, but this is my initial assessment.

The materials are very high quality. They come in a nice binder and are professional put together and organized. They are pretty "schooly" with assessments and rubrics, but that is to be expected from a company that is producing kits mostly for schools.

Overall, I think the whole unit is a bit too "elementary school" for us - we have already covered the concepts of drag, load, and airplane design extensively in Supercharged Science's summer camp, and there is little new material here conceptually. We also live near an Air/Space science museum, and have done a lot of unschooling there. I do think the parachute project & testing looks really good, but I feel like we could have done without most of the intro/beginning lessons on the Solar System, atmosphere, technology, etc. but that info is probably there for schools with students from a variety of backgrounds.

We are definitely going to use it because it looks really fun, but I'm not sure I'll pay for another kit at the current prices. There is just too much material we won't use because it is made for schools (worksheets/rubrics/assessments) or we've already covered it and need minimal review. If they were to come out with a less expensive TM that was more homeschool friendly, I would be more interested. I also might be interested in levels produced with more in-depth engineering or building projects for 5-7th grade. JMHO and depending on science background YMMV.

Thanks for the scoop, FP! The circuits kit contains info that is new to us. So new, that I'm prepping over the next few months so I have a handle on it. I'm reading and studying up on circuits. Thankfully my ds is obsessed with Arduino so I will learn from him -- and he will eventually be able to help dds. Thankfully dh is very savvy on this topic. I am creating a year-long project of my own on circuits for next year which will include the EiE unit, Squishy Circuits, Snap Circuits 750, Arduino, Exploration Ed chapters 10-14, Aha!Science electricity/circuits, Khan Academy videos, Derek Owens videos, OMSI resources and possibly littleBits. I created a pinboard for this topic.

:iagree: about the EiE kits being school'ish. I'm hoping I can 'wing it' with the books, online videos & pdfs on the EiE site, rather than purchasing too many complete kits.

Since my dds are Chinese, I think they would really enjoy the unit about China.

I would love to hear more about how you are teaching the material.

• 2 months later...

We are reading through the EiE collection, an early birthday present for dd7. I included a video of their reaction.

They are fantastic little books. Dd7 wants to do the 'frog' book first (bio eng). For the summer, we'll do simple lessons with a few of the books. The educator resources page has some great ideas that we can use even though I don't have the TMs for the books.

Edited by Beth in SW WA
added video

We are reading through the EiE collection, an early birthday present for dd7. I included a video of their reaction.

They are fantastic little books. Dd7 wants to do the 'frog' book first (bio eng). For the summer, we'll do simple lessons with a few of the books. The educator resources page has some great ideas that we can use even though I don't have the TMs for the books.

Beth, I want to go to your school.:001_smile: