Menu

I thing I'm losing my best friend (dog)

:crying:

She really doesn't seem to be suffering, but her breathing is getting worse (vet said it was allergies) and she is having SO many accidents in the house. Thankful that we have no carpet downstairs. Dh has had a leather chair for 30 years now (looks great still!) that I put a pad on. She sleeps there or on her dog bed all the time. Yesterday she woke up, stood up, then peed all over it. :crying: I was thankful that I saw it and immediately brought it to the washing machine before any urine touched the chair.

She can jump up and down, she can walk and run, but her back legs dont look right. She is practically deaf and has learned some hand signals well, but she is also losing her eyesight.

She seems confused a lot. It has been a slow progression for a couple of years now.

She has been my shadow, literally, for 14.5 years. I will miss her so much when her time comes. She is my first small dog, and the coolest, easiest, most loyal and loving pet anyone could ever ask for.

This is the only part of owning a pet that I hate. :crying:

I have a horse, my greyhound, and a llama who all are very old and could go any time now. :crying:

I could never live without the blessing of pets, and I know I have given them wonderful lives. Still, it is SO hard to watch them age, fail, etc.

Dont know why I am typing this all out......... But I do hope I have some time with my little girl.

:grouphug::grouphug: Has she been to the vet lately? As previous posters mentioned, urinating can be a sign of kidney or bladder issues. Our female dog was urinating all over the house a couple of months ago. Turns out, she didn't have kidney stones. However, the ph level in her urine was very high. After a round of meds, she is now better and has not had any accidents. Just an FYI. Sorry that you (and she) have to go through this.

:grouphug: It's such a difficult decision, and I've always felt that I should have done it sooner than I did. Our last dog to pass away was a Bernese Mountain Dog, her back legs went on her completely at the end and it was heartbreaking to see her that way. I remember sobbing uncontrollably for an entire evening after she went.

We now have a year old Labradoodle who's loved every bit as much as the BMD was, they really are special friends.

:grouphug:

Cassy

Thanks everyone. I will be taking her to the vet later this week or next. She has to go every year around this time because she gets an echocardiogram and a years worth of her heart medication.

Her house accidents have been going on for awhile but recently picked up more. Her senility is also on the rise, poor thing. She is just starting to fail in too many areas. I bought her a diaper but it wont stay on because she has no tail! Im going to try to rig some sort of suspenders for her to keep it on.

I will collect a urine sample the day I bring her in and will also have tests run to rule anything else out.

I cant believe a golden lived 17 years! How wonderful!!!

I hate this part of pet ownership. They truly are family to me. :crying:

My little Bandit is in the beginning stages of heart failure. Our vet said we should have her for 6 - 12 more months. I will enjoy her as much as I can!

I kind of have a hard time believing she will make it another year. :sad:

Poor poochie. :crying:

I have never seen dogs who love balls as much as her. We are going to bury her with one when the time comes.

• 3 months later...
Guest sajbald

Took my friend to the vet today, she had been have similar problems. She wouldn't eat, if she did, she didn't hold it down long. The Vet is working on her,

getting her hydrated and keeping her overnight. The Doc stated that her blood work didn't look good. Checking her kidneys, and they were very bad shape. The diagnosis is not good. She will be treated with meds but seems my friend will be gone soon. I don't know what to do now, just waiting. She has been my

constant companion.:(....

Thanks everyone. I will be taking her to the vet later this week or next. She has to go every year around this time because she gets an echocardiogram and a years worth of her heart medication.

Her house accidents have been going on for awhile but recently picked up more. Her senility is also on the rise, poor thing. She is just starting to fail in too many areas. I bought her a diaper but it wont stay on because she has no tail! Im going to try to rig some sort of suspenders for her to keep it on.

I will collect a urine sample the day I bring her in and will also have tests run to rule anything else out.

I cant believe a golden lived 17 years! How wonderful!!!

I hate this part of pet ownership. They truly are family to me. :crying:

Can you drop the urine off sooner? If it is a bladder infection, and elderly dogs are prone to them, it could be pretty painful. I wouldn't wait that long.

Took my friend to the vet today, she had been have similar problems. She wouldn't eat, if she did, she didn't hold it down long. The Vet is working on her,

getting her hydrated and keeping her overnight. The Doc stated that her blood work didn't look good. Checking her kidneys, and they were very bad shape. The diagnosis is not good. She will be treated with meds but seems my friend will be gone soon. I don't know what to do now, just waiting. She has been my

constant companion.:(....

I'm sorry.