Poll: What would you do - used curriculum sale

Joy at Home

What would you do?  

1. 1. What would you do?

• I would refund the entire amount
    • I would refund another amount, possibly 50% or so
    • I would not refund money, it's the post office's fault
    • Other

Just curious where you fall on this scenario: Used curriculum is purchased for roughly $75 and seller ships package, paying extra for priority shipping and delivery confirmation, but when is received buyer says most of the contents are missing. The only plausible explanation is that the box somehow opened during delivery and the post office just threw a few things back in and taped the box shut (buyer does say that there is packing tape on the box and seller did not tape the box). The contents of the package are worthless without the missing material.

What would you do as the seller in this situation?

thanks!

lisa

Edited by Momto5girls

Just curious where you fall on this scenario: Used curriculum is purchased for roughly $75 and seller ships package, paying extra for priority shipping and delivery confirmation, but when is received buyer says most of the contents are missing. The only plausible explanation is that the box somehow opened during delivery and the post office just threw a few things back in and taped the box shut (buyer does say that there is packing tape on the box and seller did not tape the box). The contents of the package are worthless without the missing material.

What would you do as the seller in this situation?

thanks!

lisa

JUST went through this. I sent something through Media Mail and a month later got it back with 1 of the 2 books missing. The package was all messed up/taped again missing part of the packaging. The workbook was fine but the teachers edition was gone. It came back to me though, never even made it to the buyer. I issued a refund and re-sent the workbook. Luckily my buyer was nice enough to allow me $5 for shipping again. Wonder whats going on with our postal system :glare:

JUST went through this. I sent something through Media Mail and a month later got it back with 1 of the 2 books missing. The package was all messed up/taped again missing part of the packaging. The workbook was fine but the teachers edition was gone. It came back to me though, never even made it to the buyer. I issued a refund and re-sent the workbook. Luckily my buyer was nice enough to allow me $5 for shipping again. Wonder whats going on with our postal system :glare:

Well, media mail is a joke. I've had too many crazy experiences with the post office and media mail, some instances having a completely torn box returned to me with nothing inside. It looks like they don't handle priority packages much better, unfortunately:glare:

Lisa

I bought a set of workbooks used. The seller wrapped them in brown paper and shipped them. No box, no padded envelope. The paper was ripped to shreds and most of the books were gone. It was not taped back together because it was only paper to begin with. I contacted seller and seller refused to take responsibility. So if it were me I'd refund at least half the amount since we've both lost....but I could see myself refunding all of it to make it right.

I bought a set of workbooks used. The seller wrapped them in brown paper and shipped them. No box, no padded envelope. The paper was ripped to shreds and most of the books were gone. It was not taped back together because it was only paper to begin with. I contacted seller and seller refused to take responsibility. So if it were me I'd refund at least half the amount since we've both lost....but I could see myself refunding all of it to make it right.

I would agree that a poor packing job would be a big factor. However, here, the seller went beyond by paying extra for priority shipping in a secure, flat rate box.

Lisa

I couldn't answer. That's just a rotten situation for everyone. I'm not sure what I would do if I were the seller. It's one of the reasons I don't like selling things online - unless you're selling a lot and can just factor that into the cost of business, stuff like that can happen that's just unfair for everyone and not anyone's fault. Except the post office, of course, but it seems like a gamble that you'll be able to recoup anything from them.

As the buyer I would be understanding and offer to split the difference aka I would only ask for 50% refunded, minus the cost of whether was in the box that could be worth anything.

As the seller, I would explain how well I shipped it and ask them

What they think is fair (hoping for the above scenario) and then doing whatever they suggest, however if they ask for a 100% refund I would make them wait until it would be financially easy for me even if that means they would have to wait a week.

Always get insurance!!! If you get insurance, they are lots more careful. However, if I have to ship a big package again...I am not using the USPS. They are careless. If you ship media or parcel post, they treat it like crap. If you ship priority without insurance, they don't care if it gets lost or messed up b/c it can't come back to them. My FIL works for the USPS and some of the comments he has made lately...well, I don't trust the postal service at all.

As the buyer I would be understanding and offer to split the difference aka I would only ask for 50% refunded, minus the cost of whether was in the box that could be worth anything.

As the seller, I would explain how well I shipped it and ask them

What they think is fair (hoping for the above scenario) and then doing whatever they suggest, however if they ask for a 100% refund I would make them wait until it would be financially easy for me even if that means they would have to wait a week.

:iagree: I would ask the buyer what they thought to be fair and hoped for a 50/50 split but would pay the full amount of that is what they asked for. And in the future, as the seller, I would buy insurance or ask the buyer to purchase insurance for any package I was not willing to reimburse should its contents just disappear. I would purchase insurance over priority mail shipping and then I would tape the box so crazy it would have to be run over by a truck to open up.

I voted "other". I've always known I take the risk when I buy something and don't insure it. This situation arose because of the failure of the two other parties...the buyer's failure to insure, and the PO's failure to do their job accordingly.

Having said that (and still stand by it), I'm not a meany IRL, honest. I just won't take personal responsibility for something out of my control...like, what happens after I ship a package. I always pack tight and secure, I've seen what the PO can do!

Edited by Geo

I used to sell on eBay and every month I would get someone trying to rip me off. I'm not saying that's what is going on here but based on my own eBay experience I would not offer a refund. Prior to shipping I would have stressed the importance of the buyer paying for insurance that way if they decline it's their loss if something goes wrong.

I used to sell on eBay and every month I would get someone trying to rip me off. I'm not saying that's what is going on here but based on my own eBay experience I would not offer a refund. Prior to shipping I would have stressed the importance of the buyer paying for insurance that way if they decline it's their loss if something goes wrong.

I disagree. I think seller should offer a refund. The seller has responsibility to properly package. Was the box over packed, properly taped, etc?

I have had this problem twice, once when sending my some stuff to my sister in Hawaii and another time I received a package that was mutilated. In BOTH instances the PO repackaged and taped the box and added a note that indicated that the package had been torn and the package contents replaced. They ask that the package be inspected and if all the materials are not present, you can contact them. In the Hawaii case, they sent the package on with a note as well as sending me a notice in the mail.

If the purchaser indeed received a re-packaged box, there should be an indication from the PO about it. If there is no indication from the PO, as a seller, I would ask that she return it to the PO indicating that it was received in poor condition with items missing. She should ask them to return it to the sender so that sender can make a claim.

If there is no indication from the PO that the package was indeed opened and repackaged, I would be a little suspicious.

Always purchase insurance if it is for an amount that you don't feel you can refund easily. If the package was truly opened and contents missing, I would refund the entire amount (but I would want some verification so that I could go back to the PO).

Was insurance bought? It's only a couple bucks. I would request that all would buy the insurance otherwise I'm not liable.

On the other side, was it shipped in a realistic container? The way I've seen some people ship things, you just have to wonder. But then again...insurance.

Was insurance bought? It's only a couple bucks. I would request that all would buy the insurance otherwise I'm not liable.

:iagree: This is why you spend a few extra bucks for insurance. If the buyer didn't buy insurance the seller isn't responsible for the PO bad shipping. I use to do the ebay thing many years ago and it was the buyer's responsibilty to purchase insurance. I wouldn't refund the money.

It really stinks but I think one should offer a full refund. It is in no way the fault of the buyer and they shouldn't have to pay for the PO mistake. As a seller I think we have to be personally responsible and buy insurance if we cannot cover it. I cannot see how it is fair to make someone pay half the price for something if they received nothing. Otherwise I guess I'd prorate the refund based on what was received.

If one wants the policy that they are not responsible for any PO mistake the only thing to do is to clearly have a disclaimer stated and reiterated.

I know many are saying that it's the buyers fault if they didn't buy insurance. Actually it's the SELLER's fault if they didn't buy insurance. Insurance is purchased by the shipper not the shipee. The PO won't deal with the receiver of the package because they are not the one to purchase the insurance. You as the seller are responsible for the package until it arrives at the buyers house. You can't blame the PO for everything. Sometimes things happen and the box is damaged by the machines too. That's why you buy insurance if it's not an amount you want to risk losing.

Sorry if I'm a sounding harsh, but my mom has worked for the PO for over 30 years and my brother has been there over 14, I'm sick of them taking the blame when people expect everything to always be perfect. Sometimes accidents happen and things are damaged. I always tape a priority box even though they have the sticky stuff on some of them. I want to make sure things are secured. Don't want to buy tape, no problem order a roll of priority tape for FREE from the POs website and use that. I always buy insurance for items over $20 that way I'm covered.

Well, media mail is a joke. I've had too many crazy experiences with the post office and media mail, some instances having a completely torn box returned to me with nothing inside. It looks like they don't handle priority packages much better, unfortunately:glare:

Lisa

This is the 2nd issue I have had but since this one I have been hearing of more horror stories :glare:

:grouphug:

The PO won't deal with the receiver of the package because they are not the one to purchase the insurance.

This is true. When I shipped my sister's belongings to Hawaii, she asked that I purchase insurance. She had packaged the boxes prior to leaving and I was just taking them to the PO. When the package arrived with contents missing, *I* was the one that had to deal with the PO.

I often pad my prices to include the cost of insurance on larger items. That way I know that I am covered. But, again, there should be some sort of evidence from the PO that the contents were re-packaged - if not, I would be suspicious that someone was, perhaps, less than honest.

I know many are saying that it's the buyers fault if they didn't buy insurance. Actually it's the SELLER's fault if they didn't buy insurance. Insurance is purchased by the shipper not the shipee. The PO won't deal with the receiver of the package because they are not the one to purchase the insurance. You as the seller are responsible for the package until it arrives at the buyers house. You can't blame the PO for everything. Sometimes things happen and the box is damaged by the machines too. That's why you buy insurance if it's not an amount you want to risk losing.

Sorry if I'm a sounding harsh, but my mom has worked for the PO for over 30 years and my brother has been there over 14, I'm sick of them taking the blame when people expect everything to always be perfect. Sometimes accidents happen and things are damaged. I always tape a priority box even though they have the sticky stuff on some of them. I want to make sure things are secured. Don't want to buy tape, no problem order a roll of priority tape for FREE from the POs website and use that. I always buy insurance for items over $20 that way I'm covered.

Bold print above is the correct information. It's been stated on these boards a number of times, and yet misinformation abounds! Not saying I agree 100%, but, as a seller, it's best to be aware.

I've dealt with a similar situation and paypal's policy is as stated above. Additionally, it is against paypal (and ebay, I think) policy for a seller to ask a buyer to pay extra for insurance. The seller can sell the item at a slightly higher price to account for insurance, but cannot give the buyer an 'option'. The seller is the one who has the option to purchase insurance. I often don't on inexpensive items, but then I know I will just refund the money if something happens to the item. I don't want to deal with insurance. I do insure purchases around $50 or more.

In my situation, as the buyer, I offered to take a refund of half the cost of the item ($100 vs. $200). The seller was very offhanded and insulting. She sent me nasty messages and refused, saying she already spent the money. Two-thirds of the contents had fallen out! In the end I examined the box and found it was labeled to hold about 10lbs, though she had already told me the items totaled over 17lbs.

I was offered the 'option' of insurance by the seller. I declined b/c of my husband's bad experience collecting on insurance with the USPS. They damaged a painting worth $1000 he sent to a gallery. He was never able to collect a cent even though he had insurance. In my case, the seller did not package well--not saying that happened with the OP. I ended up with a full refund since paypal decided in my favor, because of their policies, of which the seller was apparently unaware. I had originally been willing to take 1/2 the cost b/c I do realize things happen that are beyond the seller's control sometimes. After examining the box, and suffering a lot of anguish over the seller's rotten attitude and nasty comments, I changed my mind.

I would refund the money, but I also insure anything over about $50 since I will refund the money if lost, etc.

:iagree:

I've been on both ends and I am still seething over a package I never got where the seller never refunded me. I have always refunded if anything happened-that's why I insure anything over $20.

Maybe its just me wanting to do unto others as I would want them to do unto me. I would 100% refund the $$ even if I couldn't afford it and pray that the good Lord would be gracious to me for doing the right thing.

I hold my breath every time I order stuff online. I have been fortunate thus far. I always ask my seller to send in a priority box, I pay for the difference between media mail and priority so they are more willing to do this.

I know this is what the OP said she did (correctly packaged) but you have to make it right and pray the good come back to you.

Yikes, I try to always get insurance on something I cannot afford to refund.

But, I have heard arguments as to whether that is the buyer or the seller's responsibility to buy.

So, in your situation, maybe a half refund if she can still use the ones that made it and then she could still buy the missing parts with the refunded amount. If it's all totally useless, I'd probably have her send back what made it to her and refund in full.

Plus, I've had several media mail packages delivered lately where it was a huge miracle everything was still in there! One had about 5 big rips in it. The USPS isn't being careful with packages!

Sounds like it wasn't taped/secured properly. When I send a package I ASSUME that the package will NOT be treated well and that my PRIORITY MAIL purchase won't buy me a shread of decency (in how they TREAT my package).

:iagree: I know those boxes are not supposed to need tape, but..........

My sister is kind of a nut ;), when she mails us a package, she wraps almost the entire thing in packing tape.

But, I have heard arguments as to whether that is the buyer or the seller's responsibility to buy.

People, are of course, free to state their opinions, but , if paypal is involved it is the seller's responsibility period. It is written in their policy, and by using paypal, the seller is agreeing to abide by that policy.

So, in your situation, maybe a half refund if she can still use the ones that made it and then she could still buy the missing parts with the refunded amount. If it's all totally useless, I'd probably have her send back what made it to her and refund in full.

Plus, I've had several media mail packages delivered lately where it was a huge miracle everything was still in there! One had about 5 big rips in it. The USPS isn't being careful with packages!

Yes, I've had some terrible looking media mail packages arrive lately. OP, if the buyer agrees to 50%, I think that's what I would do too.

All Media Mail packages are subject to being opened, and not just by one office, but by every one that suspects it may not be "media." So, the taping doesn't surprise me if it was media mail. However...the seller didn't tape the package? That seems strange to me. Regardless...I think the seller has to refund.

Agree with others, ALWAYS get insurance.

Merry :-)

ETA...I see that it was sent priority. I think unless the seller specifically asked "do you want insurance" and the buyer said "no," that the seller should refund. I could be wrong on that though...but I think it's the seller's responsibility to package and send the materials, and that lack of insurance is the seller's responsibility. I actually require people to buy insurance if it's over a price point I'm not willing to lose, or I don't sell it.

Edited by MerryAtHope

All Media Mail packages are subject to being opened, and not just by one office, but by every one that suspects it may not be "media." So, the taping doesn't surprise me if it was media mail. However...the seller didn't tape the package? That seems strange to me. Regardless...I think the seller has to refund.

Agree with others, ALWAYS get insurance.

Merry :-)

ETA...I see that it was sent priority. I think unless the seller specifically asked "do you want insurance" and the buyer said "no," that the seller should refund. I could be wrong on that though...but I think it's the seller's responsibility to package and send the materials, and that lack of insurance is the seller's responsibility. I actually require people to buy insurance if it's over a price point I'm not willing to lose, or I don't sell it.

I know others here are saying they always buy insurance, and I believe them, but I've received very few that included it in my 16+ years of buying/selling on the internet. They are OVERWHELMINGLY sent only media mail. So much so, that I'll say almost no one pays for insurance unless the buyer asks for it and pays for it. I know, because there are never insured stickers or stamps on the envelopes/boxes, which I save and reuse.

This topic is a much needed one for me- I didn't know about Paypal's seller policy. I never read those things. :001_unsure: I guess that I'm fortunate that every package I have sent reached their desitination whole and intact...so far.

I started looking around about shipping practices in a variety of places (but not pp) and found this interesting tidbit on ebay:

"Some say that Media Mail takes much longer to arrive. Bunk, if you send it insured Media Mail arrives as fast as First Class mail! All of mine has arrived in the same time as First Class Mail (for ten years). Priority Mail (postal rip offs that are not guaranteed 2-3 days as clerks advertise--it's 2-9 days, signs are posted in USPS offices stating as such, just like Parcel Post). First Class insured mail is both the quickest & least costly, unless Media materials only are shipped in bulk & insured."

Thanks for the info, I'm now open to a "shipping policy REFORMATION," :)

Geo

Edited by Geo

I know others here are saying they always buy insurance, and I believe them, but I've received very few that included it in my 16+ years of buying/selling on the internet. They are OVERWHELMINGLY sent only media mail. So much so, that I'll say almost no one pays for insurance unless the buyer asks for it and pays for it. I know, because there are never insured stickers or stamps on the envelopes/boxes, which I save and reuse.

This topic is a much needed one for me- I didn't know about Paypal's seller policy. I never read those things. :001_unsure: I guess that I'm fortunate that every package I have sent reached their desitination whole and intact...so far.

I started looking around about shipping practices in a variety of places (but not pp) and found this interesting tidbit on ebay:

"Some say that Media Mail takes much longer to arrive. Bunk, if you send it insured Media Mail arrives as fast as First Class mail! All of mine has arrived in the same time as First Class Mail (for ten years). Priority Mail (postal rip offs that are not guaranteed 2-3 days as clerks advertise--it's 2-9 days, signs are posted in USPS offices stating as such, just like Parcel Post). First Class insured mail is both the quickest & least costly, unless Media materials only are shipped in bulk & insured."

Thanks for the info, I'm now open to a "shipping policy REFORMATION," :)

Geo

Just to let you know, you won't always see a special stamp or sticky for insurance. I buy all my postage through paypal (even if it's paid for with a money order, then I use paypal multi order shipping) and the only way you'd know I'd insured it is if you read the fine print up at the top, because it's part of the label code.