Menu

I would love to have ?? in my 1st-5th grade hsing classroom.

The main thing that I want, and need, but have yet to get, is a good microscope. I'm hoping to pick up one in the near future.

The things I love the most (and find the most useful) in our homeschool room are the bookcases (and all the books :D), the large whiteboard, and having a large table.

A globe that will withstand frequent use by kids. That's what I want.

What we have that I really like -

a solid 7 1/2 -foot table. It's our kitchen/dining table, but that's where we do our morning lessons and it's wonderful.

An Abacus

A shower caddie for our pencils/scissors/crayons/colored pencils/glue/rulers - 4 $1 cups from Target for holding colored pencils and crayons inserted into a $3 shower caddie from Walmart. Love it.

Edited by Susan in TN

A well lighted corner (oh, truly, about an 8x10' space) with a couple of 6 ft tables where we can set up a science observation area, including an aquarium, vivarium, terrarium, microscope and enough elbow room for science in progress. A sink with running water in the same area would also be mighty nice.

A tranq gun.

For you or for the children? :lol:

In my classroom I would want space! For that age group I want room to get up out of chairs and move, use gross motor skills for learning things, or space to spread out on the floor if desired. A tiny room with stuff all around the walls, and a table in the middle, and things from the ceiling would make me claustrophobic (I have a tiny house with things all along the walls, but nothing from the ceiling lol) I would want some open spaces on the floor, on the walls etc.

After that I would want a well stocked art cupboard, a microscope, globe, wall map, math manips, board games, bean bags, supplies for science(but not necessarily curriculum kits)- terrariums, bug nets, magnifying classes, plastic pipettes, jars/plastic cups/beakers etc to use to experiments, growing things, holding specimens. One of our favorite pieces is for the wall, such as our bug display case (I have a new set to pin, and have to hang my old display case still). Shelf of reference titles (atlas, dictionary, idiom dictionary, thesaurus etc) We use these items all the time, so having a designated spot for them would be much needed.

I would have 1 shelf/small table that was for science only so that experiments that need to be left out over time do not need to continually be moved around to make room for other subjects.

And most importantly a door, so that I can walk away and close it and pretend the mess doesn't exist.

Wall maps of the US and world.

A globe, but tbh, we have an old one, and it works okay for now. I like having one, but I wouldn't necessarily buy brand-new at this point.

I hate to say it, but I'm really glad we have a computer in our school room. So very handy.

A battery-operated pencil sharpener.

A big table for two children (that is also suitable for art projects), but also a desk for the child who is easily distracted.

Workboxes, color-coded for each child, one for each subject.

Individual boxes for the two older children that hold colored pencils, regular pencils, pens, glue sticks, scissors, pencil sharpeners, and erasers. They keep those at their workspaces, so they don't have to hunt for those things, and they're all ready to go to co-op.

I do hope to get a microscope at some point.

But really, my favorite investment was a freebie. It is a HUGE old office-style desk. It's probably five feet by about 3.5 feet, and has several huge deep drawers, plus pull-out shelves on each side. I LOVE it. I can put a dozen workboxes on it and still have room for the computer monitor, keyboard, globe, and the crate where I keep our books. I'd always wanted one of those, and when someone offered us one, I took it.

Very glad to have:

* Lots of bookcases

* Large supply cabinet that can be locked if needed

* Direct access to the kitchen, half bath, laundry area, and back yard

* iMac on wheels -- $$ but hugely useful for movies, online courses, printables and e-books, and my own Excel lesson plans

* All in one printer/copier

* A cute wooden pencil holder with some sort of lemur or bushbaby painted on it (seriously... it doesn't feel like school to us without the pencil holder, and it really cheers me up every time I see it :))

Would love to have:

* Doors on some of the bookcases

* Better lighting, especially more natural light

* Some sort of cover on the adjacent patio, so we could do our work outside without always having to carry our supplies back and forth