Menu

Indestructible boys' shoes

I am desperate for a pair of shoes for ds that don't sprout holes within the first week of him wearing them (sadly, that is not an exaggeration). He is on his 5th pair since the beginning of fall. Granted, I do get $10 shoes from Walmart, but I am afraid to spend more only to find out that he can still wear them out at an amazing rate. Does anyone have suggestions? I'm thinking I might have to invest in duct tape to keep his pair from falling to pieces :glare:

Do you need casual shoes or tennis shoes? What size range?

For tennis shoes my dh likes New Balance. He's hard on shoes and they last him about six months.

What about hiking boots? You can find low rise ones. I wouldn't go cheap though.

What does he wear out so quickly?

For casual shoes I'd go leather, looking at something like Timberland, Eastland.

You can try someplace like Marshalls/TJ Maxx, they carry higher end brands with more affordable prices.

I used to buy the $10 shoes from WalMart, as well. My children would wear holes in them within a few days, as well. :tongue_smilie:

But, about a year ago, I bought $25 New Balance shoes for my boys from Sears. They guarantee your child will out grow the item before they wear it out. My boys wore those shoes for six months! Even through baseball season! Sears also guarantees their children's jeans, I think.

And, my boys kept commenting on how comfortable their new shoes were.

I am desperate for a pair of shoes for ds that don't sprout holes within the first week of him wearing them (sadly, that is not an exaggeration). He is on his 5th pair since the beginning of fall. Granted, I do get $10 shoes from Walmart, but I am afraid to spend more only to find out that he can still wear them out at an amazing rate. Does anyone have suggestions? I'm thinking I might have to invest in duct tape to keep his pair from falling to pieces :glare:

Oh, and FTR, indestructible and boys? Not gonna happen. :D

Do you need casual shoes or tennis shoes? What size range?

For tennis shoes my dh likes New Balance. He's hard on shoes and they last him about six months.

What about hiking boots? You can find low rise ones. I wouldn't go cheap though.

What does he wear out so quickly?

For casual shoes I'd go leather, looking at something like Timberland, Eastland.

You can try someplace like Marshalls/TJ Maxx, they carry higher end brands with more affordable prices.

He is 7 and needs tennis shoes, size 12. He is incredibly active and plays outside close to 3 hours or more a day. I think when he runs he pushes off on his toes (and he is the type that doesn't walk anywhere when he is playing, he runs to get from A to B). So the sole separates from the top of his shoe starting at the toe and it just progresses down the side until I break down and get him another pair.

TJ Maxx/ Marshall's is a good idea. I'll have to look there. Thanks!

:lol: I knew it was wishful thinking, but you never know what the Hive can come up with!

I have 4 boys and if anyone ever finds some I must know about it! My brother sounds a lot like your son and most of his sneakers growing up ended up duct taped until my parents could buy him a new pair. :lol:

I've had good luck with Stride Rites as well. Geox are another dependable brand, as are Tevas and Keens.

Stride Rites are my favorites for another reason: custom fits. If your boy has a really wide foot like my youngest, have a wide or extra wide width shoe can really make a difference how the shoe fits and wears. If he's wearing the toes of his shoes out, it may be that his shoes don't fit him properly. He may be compensating by sliding his foot forward inside the shoe when runs and jumps.

My older two have skinny feet. Boo is a toe walker and the toes of his shoes always wear out asap. This is the first year we haven't bought quality shoes for him and I'm regretting that decision as I type this. His shoes are utterly decimated and I've resorted to letting him wear his old slip on Vans most of the time until we can make it out to the Stride Rite store for a fitting.

Princess is a very active girl who wears her shoes out long before her brothers do. I've accepted that as a fact of life for now and I get most of her shoes second-hand through consignment sales so I don't have to pay as much to keep her in decent shoes. I still prefer quality shoes, but I've been settling for whatever brands for the last year or so until she quits wearing them out so fast.

If you're looking for boots or heavy duty outdoor play sandals, go with Keens. They tend to run a size big, but trust me, they will last as long as your kid's feet fit them, lol.

Tevas are the opposite. They run small and narrow so I recommend buying a size up. My oldest had a pair of these last spring/summer and they lasted long enough to get donated. :D...which is pretty amazing for a size 2 boys shoe!

I've had good luck with Stride Rites as well. Geox are another dependable brand, as are Tevas and Keens.

Stride Rites are my favorites for another reason: custom fits. If your boy has a really wide foot like my youngest, have a wide or extra wide width shoe can really make a difference how the shoe fits and wears. If he's wearing the toes of his shoes out, it may be that his shoes don't fit him properly. He may be compensating by sliding his foot forward inside the shoe when runs and jumps.

My older two have skinny feet. Boo is a toe walker and the toes of his shoes always wear out asap. This is the first year we haven't bought quality shoes for him and I'm regretting that decision as I type this. His shoes are utterly decimated and I've resorted to letting him wear his old slip on Vans most of the time until we can make it out to the Stride Rite store for a fitting.

Princess is a very active girl who wears her shoes out long before her brothers do. I've accepted that as a fact of life for now and I get most of her shoes second-hand through consignment sales so I don't have to pay as much to keep her in decent shoes. I still prefer quality shoes, but I've been settling for whatever brands for the last year or so until she quits wearing them out so fast.

If you're looking for boots or heavy duty outdoor play sandals, go with Keens. They tend to run a size big, but trust me, they will last as long as your kid's feet fit them, lol.

Tevas are the opposite. They run small and narrow so I recommend buying a size up. My oldest had a pair of these last spring/summer and they lasted long enough to get donated. :D...which is pretty amazing for a size 2 boys shoe!

I TOTALLY forgot about KEENS! My boys each have keen sandals that they wear all summer long. Literally everyday. I wash them in washer and air dry them overnight. They still look new. They are really sturdy. They are the only shoes/sandals that we are able to pass on to the next in line. I mean, baby/toddler shoes I pass on but after those ages, no shoes ever make it. The KEENS do.

Stride Rite shoes are awesome....as are Merrill shoes.

Also for sneakers we've had good wear with ASICS.

For boots we're Timberland all the way - the boots look new even at the end of the season!

Another brand I liked was ECCO - DS had one pair of those brand and they held up well.

I mean, baby/toddler shoes I pass on but after those ages, no shoes ever make it.
You've obviously never met my toddler. The only shoes I've ever been able to consider putting up are his slippers and one pair of "supportive" walking shoes that a well-meaning grandma purchased for him last summer. Every other shoe I've ever gotten for him since he's been walking has been fairly well-worn. Edited by kitchen table academy
verbs are important

I get my kids running shoes from Runner's Choice. They aren't practically hard on shoes. But they do use them. My eldest can do 3K in 15 minutes and my youngest in 20 minutes. After having these shoes for a few months they look with the exception of some dirty and minor wear around the shoe laces as good as new.

But if you are use to buying 10 dollar shoes you wouldn't want to know how much I pay.

If you're looking for tennis shoes, I go with shoes made for skateboarding-Vans or DC. They are built to last and are enforced around the sides. Kohl's sells Vans and I wait until they are on sale and I have a % off coupon. You have to have a Kohl's card for the % off coupons. We are a Vans family. We all wear them.

My friend like Converse for her 3 boys. They don't get holes in them.

We both have at least one boy who's tough on shoes.

I try to only buy kids shoes ( and jeans) from sears. They have the free Kidvantage club and will replace clothing and shoes (any brand)if it wears out before they out grow it.

"The KidVantage® Club offers the Wear Out Warranty. When your baby grows up and your kids clothing or kids shoes wear out before they are out grown, Sears will replace them for free.

The KidVantage® program is not available online."

When I'm not buying thrift store, I pretty much only buy my kids dirt cheap clothes, but I've learned not to skimp on shoes. The only other brand I've not seen mentioned here is Merrell's - they get worn, but my kids have never worn them out. For summer, my boys put their Keens through the ringer on a daily basis and they're always fine at the end of it all.

They are pricey, but the LL Bean sneaker work really well for my boys. I have been able to pass down every pair the older has had to his younger brother. The cheaper brands always have to trashed when outgrown-if they even make it that far!

We are another Keen family here. After DS destroying shoes, we finally broke down and started buying Keen sandals. He wears them all year. We just put on SmartWool socks for the wintertime. He has a brown pair and a blue pair and they go with all his outfits (save for fancy occasions). If you shop at the off time of year, the Keen sandals can sometimes be found for around $30 versus the usual $60. We always keep the next 2 sizes up in his closet.

DH only wears Keens and swears by them. He is a teacher and they are the only shoes that don't make his feet hurt by the end of the day.

I try to only buy kids shoes ( and jeans) from sears. They have the free Kidvantage club and will replace clothing and shoes (any brand)if it wears out before they out grow it.

"The KidVantage® Club offers the Wear Out Warranty. When your baby grows up and your kids clothing or kids shoes wear out before they are out grown, Sears will replace them for free.

The KidVantage® program is not available online."

:iagree: Its a free program - you're not paying more for the shoes.

I love Stride Rite shoes as well. However, I never buy them new. I have good luck buying boys brand name shoes at consignment sales and kid's resale shops. If they've been worn before and are still in decent shape, then it's a good bet that they will continue to last for a while. Even if they do wear out after a few months, it doesn't hurt as much when I only spent $5-8 on them to begin with.

My only trouble is it is harder to find pre-worn shoes in the larger kid sizes (my older boys wear size 1 and 2 now). But I always look at the sales and buy up to several sizes ahead whenever I find shoes in good shape. I found a pair of Keen sandals in awesome condition at a consignment sale last year that should fit one of the boys this summer. :hurray:

I didn't read all of the responses...but I have a son who is SUPER hard on shoes too. Someone told me that crocs were super sturdy...not the knock-off ones...but the real thing...but I didn't want to spend the big bucks to experiement. But 2 years ago (Jan.) they had a sale on their summer line and so for $10 I could find out if it ws true. I figured I could afford that...and you know what? It is....that was 2 full years ago. and he has worn them A LOT...even in the off season...they went through 2 summers and they are still going strong. The only thing that has broken were the grommits (and croc will replace those for free...just request and they send you a whole package of them....they also will replace the strap if it ever breaks...ours haven't.)..so for what that is worth to you. we have been super pleased and I will happily pay full price for a pair of crocs knowing this information.

I was going to suggest Sears as well as they will replace any shoes he wears out before he outgrows them.

Yep, I think this is winning me over. The idea of free replacement shoes is VERY attractive to me right now!!

Thanks for the great suggestions everyone. I love having such a great group of moms to get advice from!

I didn't read all of the responses...but I have a son who is SUPER hard on shoes too. Someone told me that crocs were super sturdy...not the knock-off ones...but the real thing...but I didn't want to spend the big bucks to experiement. But 2 years ago (Jan.) they had a sale on their summer line and so for $10 I could find out if it ws true. I figured I could afford that...and you know what? It is....that was 2 full years ago. and he has worn them A LOT...even in the off season...they went through 2 summers and they are still going strong. The only thing that has broken were the grommits (and croc will replace those for free...just request and they send you a whole package of them....they also will replace the strap if it ever breaks...ours haven't.)..so for what that is worth to you. we have Rbeen super pleased and I will happily pay full price for a pair of crocs knowing this information.

Yep! I wish I'd known that about the broken strap. We had one pair do that (after YEARS) of use. I have a pair that has gone through all three of my kids. The other bonus is that they put something antimicrobial in the material so their feet don't stink. Love crocs!