Menu

Fashion-forward SILs gang up on unsuspecting, frugal me

Okay. Maybe "gang up" is too strong a word. But at dinner tonight, two of my SILs were trying to persuade me that I would be very happy going to Buckle (the store) and getting a pair of "really nice jeans." I'm not sure how to even process this whole conversation. I am rather frugal. To me, "really nice jeans" would be something like jeans from the Gap for $55 dollars. Maybe $65 if I was really blown away. But keep in mind (and if my recent poll is any indication), I buy new jeans super-infrequently to begin with. Tonight, I was wearing one of two jeans that I think are "really nice," but I bought them between 9 and 11 years ago at the Gap for $55. So...hmmm. I didn't think I would ever in a million years even consider doing something different, but then, maybe if I went to Buckle, I would find two new jeans that, though expensive, I would wear for another ten years. (Given my age, though, probably not. ;))

One of my SIL's fashion sense is worth attending to, as she looks like a freakin' goddess; it's hard to not be tempted into considering something that she says, "Will make your BUTT look so good!" :tongue_smilie: Her butt would look good in a plastic sack, so I'm not sure expensive jeans are really an important key in the whole puzzle.

What is my point? Do I have one? I think I do. Would you ever go to a store like Buckle? Is there any point in doing that if you self-identify as frugal? Do I just need to stop coveting my SIL's butt and let mine stand as well as it can in my less-expensive jeans? ;) Are expensive jeans the stupidest thing you can buy, next to a designer purse? Will I ever shut up? :lol:

The right expensive jeans can be worth it. I never in a million years thought I would wear something as ridiculous as Lucky jeans - and I can't wear all of the styles- but dang! Not only do they make my butt and legs look good, they are sweatpant comfortable.

Of course, I'm cheap, so I get the ones on sale at Burlington coat factory. I don't know if I could spend what they cost in the Lucky store without having a stroke. :D

Now you are speaking my language! :D

Quite honestly, to me, being frugal is getting something worth its value. Being cheap, is only wanting the thing that costs the least, despite its value.

Getting quality jeans, that flatter, fit comfortably and are stylish is achievable while shopping at Buckle. They have many styles that are under $100 a pair. Maybe they are not the cheapest jeans you can buy, but they have a lot of value...so they can still fall in the 'frugal' category to me. Especially if you wear them for several years and only buy a couple of pair!

Are you really against/for/middle ground about thrift shops?

A really good thrift & a great tailor can work wonders.

The value of shopping at the malls is that you can try on "brands" that work great for you; then source them second-hand.

Yesterday, I found a blazer by Patrick Kelly for a girlfriend of mine for less than four bucks. Never worn. I don't think that a score like that is unusual for me either. It's very common actually.

The brand that fits me best is Dana Buchman, and there's no way in heck I'd ever pay full retail for a stitch of her stuff. Four bucks tops sister.

I'm in it (when I collect) for the fabric and bones of the clothing, the quality, and then just get it chopped and tailored. It's just another avenue, some folks are really anti-thrift, not sure where you stand on it...

Okay. Maybe "gang up" is too strong a word. But at dinner tonight, two of my SILs were trying to persuade me that I would be very happy going to Buckle (the store) and getting a pair of "really nice jeans." I'm not sure how to even process this whole conversation. I am rather frugal. To me, "really nice jeans" would be something like jeans from the Gap for $55 dollars. Maybe $65 if I was really blown away. But keep in mind (and if my recent poll is any indication), I buy new jeans super-infrequently to begin with. Tonight, I was wearing one of two jeans that I think are "really nice," but I bought them between 9 and 11 years ago at the Gap for $55. So...hmmm. I didn't think I would ever in a million years even consider doing something different, but then, maybe if I went to Buckle, I would find two new jeans that, though expensive, I would wear for another ten years. (Given my age, though, probably not. ;))

One of my SIL's fashion sense is worth attending to, as she looks like a freakin' goddess; it's hard to not be tempted into considering something that she says, "Will make your BUTT look so good!" :tongue_smilie: Her butt would look good in a plastic sack, so I'm not sure expensive jeans are really an important key in the whole puzzle.

What is my point? Do I have one? I think I do. Would you ever go to a store like Buckle? Is there any point in doing that if you self-identify as frugal? Do I just need to stop coveting my SIL's butt and let mine stand as well as it can in my less-expensive jeans? ;) Are expensive jeans the stupidest thing you can buy, next to a designer purse? Will I ever shut up? :lol:

Danielle, you're one funny lady. :D

Well, I'm not really the right person to answer your question, since I intentionally DON'T wear jeans that make my rear look 'good' (as if that were even possible :lol:) because of my convictions regarding clothing.

But, even if that weren't an issue, I don't think I could spend that much on jeans. I just had to check out Buckle's website, since I had no idea how much their jeans were. I just scrolled the first page of women's jeans, and they go from $85 to $160, with most of them being $99. I'm assuming that's for ONE pair?! :tongue_smilie: Even if I could ever bring myself to pay that much for ONE pair of jeans, my dh; oh my. He would NOT be a fan. He wouldn't care HOW good my 'assets' looked in them. :lol:

Quite honestly, to me, being frugal is getting something worth its value. Being cheap, is only wanting the thing that costs the least, despite its value.

Getting quality jeans, that flatter, fit comfortably and are stylish is achievable while shopping at Buckle. They have many styles that are under $100 a pair. Maybe they are not the cheapest jeans you can buy, but they have a lot of value...so they can still fall in the 'frugal' category to me. Especially if you wear them for several years and only buy a couple of pair!

I agree with your principle, but if I can get that for $55, why spend $100? I am definitely not cheap; I'm frugal.

A really good thrift & a great tailor can work wonders.

The value of shopping at the malls is that you can try on "brands" that work great for you; then source them second-hand.

Yesterday, I found a blazer by Patrick Kelly for a girlfriend of mine for less than four bucks. Never worn. I don't think that a score like that is unusual for me either. It's very common actually.

The brand that fits me best is Dana Buchman, and there's no way in heck I'd ever pay full retail for a stitch of her stuff. Four bucks tops sister.

I'm in it (when I collect) for the fabric and bones of the clothing, the quality, and then just get it chopped and tailored. It's just another avenue, some folks are really anti-thrift, not sure where you stand on it...

I am not at all against thrift shops/consignment, but I find it too tedious to try and get great clothing for myself there. I have heard of a consignment shop that would probably be better, but I haven't been there yet. (I really hate to shop, especially clothing for myself!).

Did you ever see the 30 Rock episode, Brooklyn Without Limits? (Instant Netflix). Jeans changed Liz Lemon's life.

She gave them up despite them turning her into a goddess. I thought that was silly, and I'll tell you why if you watch it and come back to me.

Yes, go buy them.

Nope. Never saw 30 Rock. Sorry. Can't you tell me why anyway? Give me the Cliff Notes? :D

Well, I'm not really the right person to answer your question, since I intentionally DON'T wear jeans that make my rear look 'good' (as if that were even possible ) because of my convictions regarding clothing.

You're the funny one! :D

One thing SILs were saying that is "so great" is that the sales help takes "one look at you and knows what will look good on you." See, I don't consider that a benefit. I'm sure they don't say, "You would look GREAT in this $30 clearance pair we have back here, and it's exactly your size!" :glare: What should I do - go in with a big button pinned on my front that says, "Forget the jeans above $100; I'm here for a sale."? Historically, I never, ever like it when the "sales help" is...very helpful. I just want to shop in peace.

No, I wouldn't go to Buckle. (What, exactly, is Buckle? lol)

But after reading the Mom-butt jeans thread and accompanying blog post here a few months ago, I spent an hour or more at Goodwill going through the jeans. I ended up with a pair of American Eagle jeans for ~$3.50. I wear them and am actually happy with my butt.

I consider myself frugal. I would never spend $55 for jeans, or shop at The Gap. I rarely shop at Goodwill, although dh found a nice leather blazer for me last year. My usual shopping is Kohl's or Macy's loaded down with coupons.

No, I wouldn't go to Buckle. (What, exactly, is Buckle? lol)

But after reading the Mom-butt jeans thread and accompanying blog post here a few months ago, I spent an hour or more at Goodwill going through the jeans. I ended up with a pair of American Eagle jeans for ~$3.50. I wear them and am actually happy with my butt.

I consider myself frugal. I would never spend $55 for jeans, or shop at The Gap. I rarely shop at Goodwill, although dh found a nice leather blazer for me last year. My usual shopping is Kohl's or Macy's loaded down with coupons.

I remember the Mom-butt blog. I agree with it, too. The way the jeans are cut makes a big difference in whether you look like you have Mom-butt or a cute butt. (Where your shirt hem falls matters, too, BTW. If it's up at high-waist, your butt will look like Montana, but if it's to the hips, it chops the expanse of butt in half.) I would consider it a miracle to find jeans that fit me and that I like at Goodwill. I envy your good fortune.

Nope. Never saw 30 Rock. Sorry. Can't you tell me why anyway? Give me the Cliff Notes? :D

It's such a funny episode. Do you not have NF? It's only 21 minutes, no commercials. lol

I'll tell you tomorrow in case *other* people want to watch it not knowing the end. :)

I only recently discovered 30 Rock (I knew of it, but had only seen bits and pieces on planes) and I can't get enough. Every episode is hilariously offensive. :tongue_smilie: Don't have the kids around if you watch.

I can't watch Netflix instant because I have this awful, live-in-the-woods MiFi. I'd have to actually order the disc and there's even less chance of me doing that then going to Buckle. ;)

You're the funny one! :D

One thing SILs were saying that is "so great" is that the sales help takes "one look at you and knows what will look good on you." See, I don't consider that a benefit. I'm sure they don't say, "You would look GREAT in this $30 clearance pair we have back here, and it's exactly your size!" :glare: What should I do - go in with a big button pinned on my front that says, "Forget the jeans above $100; I'm here for a sale."? Historically, I never, ever like it when the "sales help" is...very helpful. I just want to shop in peace.

You're funny. lol :)

Maybe instead of jumping straight to Buckle, you could ease into it by purchasing a pair of jeans made in the last decade. Even Target has about 15 different cuts of jeans that are going to all be an improvement over 10-year-old jeans. They'll have longer legs, shorter zippers, and more current colors. I'm not sure a $100 first step is the only way to update your look. They're denim pants. Just try some on until you find a pair that flatters.

OK, I'm older person who thinks spending $$$ on jeans is well worth it. I've been shopping in town for jeans that fit without a huge gap in the back. No such luck. I tried everything on, which in my neck of the woods equals NYDJ, Levi, Gap, and a bunch of off brands. DH complains. He claims bad jeans can age woman quicker than gray hair. I'm sure he's referring to "Mom" jeans. Hey, if he's still looking, I'm still trying.

What I did:

• I took my measurements

• Checked the manufactures sizing

• Shopped on eBay

Well, I have never even heard of Buckle before. However, a few years back I invested in a pair of Not Your Daughter's Jeans, in utter despair at ever being attractive or even presentable in jeans again. Due to being overweight and olderish. And woah.

It killed me to buy them, as I think they cost 90-100 or so, but they have worn like iron, I look better in them than I have looked for years, and again, they have worn like iron. I wear them twice, wash them, and wear them twice more, and have been doing that for a long time, and really it's as if I just got them. So they have really paid off over the long run.

They claim to pull you into shape and drop you one full size in appearance. I can vouch for being a bit rearranged in them, and in a good way, let me tell you. Worth every penny.

(Of course, once I was hooked I started looking for them at the Nordstrom Rack and now they are about 1/3 of what I paid for them when I started buying them.)

Maybe instead of jumping straight to Buckle, you could ease into it by purchasing a pair of jeans made in the last decade. Even Target has about 15 different cuts of jeans that are going to all be an improvement over 10-year-old jeans. They'll have longer legs, shorter zippers, and more current colors. I'm not sure a $100 first step is the only way to update your look. They're denim pants. Just try some on until you find a pair that flatters.

:iagree: especially what I bolded.

My jeans wear out after 2-3 years- I am impressed/amazed yours have lasted a decade. But decade old Gap jeans are not likely to flatter. I can get jeans on sale at the Gap for $15-25. $50+ is too much for Gap quality IMO.

I've never heard of the Buckle store, but I wouldn't pay $55 for a pair of jeans, let alone more. I don't think people's butts look as good as they think they do. But that's just me. I've finally freed myself from pants, the bane of my existence (I could never get them to feel good, look good, be comfortable.) Now I would pay $55 on a skirt, but only if it had mirrors, beads, or embroidery on it.

I have to agree with "the gang". Buckle is totally worth it. I have purchased a few pairs of jeans there, and they are worth every penny. :001_smile:

They truly are worth it! The jeans are quality and last much longer than the $35 pair of jeans from Penney's that I used to buy. And you can always watch for sales, too!

Spending $100 on a pair of jeans? :svengo: :D

I know. ;)

That was pretty much my reaction, too. That same $100 could have gone to pay bills or be set aside for paying curriculum. I cannot justify in our budget spending it on a pair of jeans.

That being said...

The other day, I was at the supermarket (I live in a very upscale yuppie enclave) and was surprised to hear the person passing me by whisper to their companion that I was wearing "Pajama Jeans". I was like :001_huh: "Say what --?"

For a split second, I was torn between two thoughts:

1) It was a man who said it. I was impressed he even knew what Pajama Jeans were as my hubby has no clue about any type of clothing.

2) Indignity overcame me as I just realized I was being insulted. I was not wearing PJs. I was about to scream, "Hey! These happen to be mom jeans that are 8 years old." But common sense got the better of me and I realized how dumb that would sound in the produce aisle. :lol: And yes, the town I live in has tons of soccer moms driving in SUVs wearing clothes from Nordstroms -- aiiiyyyeeeee. :glare: I look like a person who shops at Walmart in a rural township compared to them.

Edited by tex-mex

Mmmmm...expensive jeans! Worth the money, IMO. I'm a jeans junky and have loads of them. Seven jeans are fantastic, but pricey. They last forever and hold their color and shape. Michael Kors jeans (available at Macy's in the $60-$80 range) are also really great. I swear Michael Kors can make any woman's arse look good. The only thing I don't like about them is that they usually (not always) have a crystal M on the pockets. At least the ones I've found at Macy's. I've never had one crystal fall off, which is amazing as many times as they've been washed, but I fear one will and then they will look weird.

I like shopping at thrift stores. Last week, I scored some good stuff. But, I find that for thrift store shopping to work really well....I need to not be looking for something specific. It's too frustrating if I'm going in looking ONLY for an outfit for dh's work party or for a pair of jeans to wear to the vacation we leave for tomorrow. In those instances, I NEED the row of jeans of multiple sizes and shapes that I can take 2 different sizes and 3 different styles (relaxed or curvy and low waist or mid?) into the dressing room and just get it over with.

If I go in to the thrift store occasionally, to browse, and am open to anything that looks great on me and that I really like...AND...AND...AND...I stay REALLY picky about looking for rips and stains and NOT just getting those pants because they are name brand and only $4......then I can get some great stuff.

I hate shorter zippers. I don't want my butt crack showing when I bend over and I'm sick of seeing other women's. What do you mean by "longer legs"? How long does the leg need to be besides long enough to be...long enough?

BTW, I do have more recent jeans. They are from JC Penney. But I like the old Gap jeans better and I spent more on them, though that was a while ago.

OK, I'm older person who thinks spending $$$ on jeans is well worth it. I've been shopping in town for jeans that fit without a huge gap in the back. No such luck. I tried everything on, which in my neck of the woods equals NYDJ, Levi, Gap, and a bunch of off brands. DH complains. He claims bad jeans can age woman quicker than gray hair. I'm sure he's referring to "Mom" jeans. Hey, if he's still looking, I'm still trying.

What I did:

• I took my measurements

• Checked the manufactures sizing

• Shopped on eBay

Good tips! Thanks.

:iagree: especially what I bolded.

My jeans wear out after 2-3 years- I am impressed/amazed yours have lasted a decade. But decade old Gap jeans are not likely to flatter. I can get jeans on sale at the Gap for $15-25. $50+ is too much for Gap quality IMO.

HEY! :toetap05: I am strongly considering taking a picture or two of me in my old Gap jeans and seeing what the consensus is. I really do think I look pretty good in those jeans, not to say that there can't possibly be jeans that would look better, but I am very confident that nobody would see me in them and think, "Dumpy old mom jeans." And you wear them out after 2-3 years? Good gravy! What on earth do you do in them?

I hate shorter zippers. I don't want my butt crack showing when I bend over and I'm sick of seeing other women's. What do you mean by "longer legs"? How long does the leg need to be besides long enough to be...long enough?

You do have to get used to them sitting on your hips, but the waistlines have been creeping back up (thank goodness). You're never going to feel as covered as you do in those older jeans that come up closer to your waist, but if you layer your shirts you can avoid feeling a breeze :-).

I think they're making them long enough for the back to hit closer to the ground even in heels. I usually buy regular, but the last pair I got was short because regular was 4 inches too long!

Honestly, it's just fashion. The same types of people proclaiming the superiority of the lower jeans will be the same type who mock them in x years when the cut changes again. I can hear them now scoffing about butt cleavage and unchecked belly rolls because some clueless girl is wearing her jeans too low on her hips.

That said, I have caved and cycled out my outdated jeans. I did purchase one pair with a higher waist just so I'd have a warmer option on days that it's cold enough to break out the silk long johns. THIS winter has been nice, but we're usually not this lucky. I just wear longer shirts and sweater's with it and no one can tell that denim is actually touching my stomach :D