Menu

Gouda cheese---what do I do with this?

Yesterday I was in Shipshewana, IN and went to the Cheese Factory and they had Gouda for $1.99/lb so I had to buy some. Now I need to know what to DO with it. Any great ideas?

Is it better cold or heated in a warm sandwich or in a main dish or ????

OK, that is easy.

I have a crusty french bread with "everything" topping (like an everything bagel) and some tomato so I could slice it on the bread with tomato or make a grilled cheese, or just eat it plain.

They didn't have the smoked gouda on sale. When you go down there it is very hit or miss what is on special at a great price. I have gotten macadamia nuts for 99 CENTS a pound before and some really fancy cheeses for 99 cents a pound. This time I got imported dark chocolates very very cheap as well.

I have just enough Dutch blood (meaning frugal or cheap) in me to make me want to try these various things when they are really cheap as I wouldn't pay full price for them.

Greek Mac and Cheese uses Gouda and it is good-a. har har. Otherwise, I like it just on crackers.

Ingredients

1/2 half pound (generous two cups) dried spiral noodles (rotini), cooked.

2 tablespoons olive oil.

2 cloves garlic.

8 ounces chopped fresh baby spinach.

3 tablespoons unsalted butter.

2 tablespoons all purpose flour.

2 1/2 cups light cream or milk.

6 to 8 ounces coarsely grated Gouda cheese

1 1/4 cups crumbled feta cheese divided.

1/2 teaspoon salt.

Large handful cherry tomatoes quartered.

1 1/2 cups Italian style croutons.

1/4 chopped fresh Italian parsley, for garnish.

1/2 chopped pitted olives, for garnish.

How to do it

Preheat the oven to 350 degrees. Butter a 13 x 9 inch baking dish or 2 1/2 quart casserole. Heat the olive oil in a large skillet. Add the garlic and sauté gently for several seconds, then stir in the spinach and two tablespoons of water. Cover and cook for 3 to 4 minutes, or until tender, stirring occasionally. Remove the pan from the heat. Do not pour off excess liquid.

Melt the butter in a large nonstick pan. Stir in the flour and cook over medium low heat for one minute, stirring constantly. Whisk in the light cream, in two batches, and cook, whisking often, until it thickens. Add the Gouda cheese, half at a time, whisking until it melts. Remove the pan from the heat and stir in 3/4 of a cup of feta cheese and the salt.

Pour the sauce over the noodles. Stir in the cooked spinach and the tomatoes. Transfer the mixture to the prepared baking dish and smooth the top. Partially crush the croutons in a plastic bag and sprinkle over the dish. Bake for 25 minutes or until bubbly. Serve hot, garnished with the remaining 1/2 cup of crumbled feta cheese, parsley and chopped olives.

Yesterday I was in Shipshewana, IN and went to the Cheese Factory and they had Gouda for $1.99/lb so I had to buy some. Now I need to know what to DO with it. Any great ideas?

Is it better cold or heated in a warm sandwich or in a main dish or ????

I eat it sliced. I used to do it with crackers but I can't do wheat.