Menu

Beethoven's Wig

KristenR

We borrowed it from the library for a month or so. It was fun while we had it. We have been listening to classical music without any mention of it since so I figure I'm safe in guessing that it is not stuck in my son's head (anything that is is sure to be known). It still, however, runs around in my head.:glare: YMMV (both yours and your children's).

ETA, DS is not opposed to classical music even without the silliness. He'd prefer to watch an orchestra or ballet over just listening to silliness (although he is not at all opposed to listening to silliness ...)

Edited by SCGS

I feel the same way, but I bought it anyway. Oddly enough, some of the songs Ariel prefers without the words, like Purcell's Trumpet Tune, whereas she immensely enjoys the words to Beethoven's Wig. Luckily, they also include tracks without the words. I guess it's good exposure for kids who wouldn't listen to classical music without a hook first. You can always start out with it and branch out into listening to more of the composer's works.

I majored in music and can see both sides of it.

For instance, I hear Liszt's Hungarian Rhapsody #2, and all I can think is, "That's the song Bugs Bunny and Daffy Duck did.*" I don't remember the name without looking it up. I had a professor who complained about all the great classical music that had been "ruined" by cartoons.

On the other hand, when we were studying for music history and knew we'd have to identify by ear a list of pieces, several of my classmates made up silly words to the main themes, and I can still identify them 20+ years later...."

" la, la, la, la, la.

So I think there is a middle ground. The "cute" stuff can be really useful, as long as the real names of the piece and the composer are very firmly attached to it in your mind. My kids like Little Einsteins and do seem to remember the composer.

ETA: Except it was "Tom and Jerry!"

did play it, but not as a duel.

Further ETA: Hungarian Rhapsody #2 was a really popular one. There's a really early

and, of course, a
, too. Edited by Maus
to correct misinformation

My kids and my DH like Beethoven's Wig a lot. I know they can be silly tunes, but at least most of the silly lyrics are tied to the composer in some way. And I like that DH enjoys them too, so much of the "kid's music" out there is so cloying that this is one CD they can all agree on once in a while. I also like that the traditional arrangements play immediately after the silly lyric versions on the same cd, so if you just let it play all the way through you get lovely traditional versions to listen to as well. My son would not otherwise be listening to classical music, so that's something.

I feel the same way, but I bought it anyway. Oddly enough, some of the songs Ariel prefers without the words, like Purcell's Trumpet Tune, whereas she immensely enjoys the words to Beethoven's Wig. Luckily, they also include tracks without the words. I guess it's good exposure for kids who wouldn't listen to classical music without a hook first. You can always start out with it and branch out into listening to more of the composer's works.

I'm not sure that most kids wouldn't listen to classical music without a hook.. my thoughts on BW is that the songs themselves are not randomly silly but each song contains facts about the composers and the piece.

So my kids can appreciate the music without silly lyrics but now because of BW they know that Clara Schumman was married to Robert Schumman and together with their children they were a family joined in harmony. :D That is something they won't forget but not something that they could have gotten listening to The Merry Peasant without vocals.

When my kids hear La Donna è mobile (from Rigoletto) They say "VERDI!" and I'm sure they are perfectly capable of learning Vivaldi's Spring without cute lyrics but it sure makes it easier!

I can see both sides, but we are HUGE FANS!

My kids now actively seek out music by their favorite composers, and love to compare the different sounds / melodies / harmonies / counterpoints of the pieces they do recognize.

Plus it cracks me up to hear them humming classical music to their puppet shows for their baby brother.

I'm not sure that most kids wouldn't listen to classical music without a hook.. my thoughts on BW is that the songs themselves are not randomly silly but each song contains facts about the composers and the piece.

So my kids can appreciate the music without silly lyrics but now because of BW they know that Clara Schumman was married to Robert Schumman and together with their children they were a family joined in harmony. :D That is something they won't forget but not something that they could have gotten listening to The Merry Peasant without vocals.

When my kids hear La Donna è mobile (from Rigoletto) They say "VERDI!" and I'm sure they are perfectly capable of learning Vivaldi's Spring without cute lyrics but it sure makes it easier!

Last year we stopped at a playground with some friends and we'd been talking about signs of spring (robins, green leaves, warmer temps, rain, etc.), and as we hopped out, my 4yo DS chirps to me - "Mom! We forgot a sign of spring! It's spring - TIME TO SING VIVALDI!" :D

I like the music - we have all of them, I think - and the kids enjoy it too. SOME of the songs mention the piece and/or composer name, but many do not, which is irritating if you've bought the thing to try to learn songs and composers in the first place. (I have them on my mp3 player, so there's nothing to look at, which would be dangerous anyway if I am driving...)

There's also the somewhat disappointing Name that Classical Tune CD, which doesn't sparkle, musically, the way Beethoven's Wig does, but it does include more composer information. I found the narrator's voice irritating, but she doesn't bother my kids the same way...

Hate it. Ds took a class at a coop that used that as the basis for the class. He was given a disc to take home.

Pros-kids are sort of introduced to classical music. They can make a connection between classical music=something they enjoy. They do hear bits of the music.

Cons--however, they are not really hearing classical music as it was written. Drives me batty. Even my older ds was a bit like...What the????

I found even when ds was quite young he enjoyed classical music if we just put it on and all relaxed, found some other things to do at the same time--draw, play with legos, clay, etc. It even surprised him. I recall his saying something to the effect of, "I didn't think I was going to like this, but I love it."

Some other kid friendly classical music options:

*Opal Wheeler books and companion cds (available at Christian Book). We have really been liking these this year.

*The Composers Specials by Devine Entertainment. This is a dvd series and has a teacher's guide to go with it. The movies are really enjoyable and a great introduction to the music.

We are very silly here! We love silly things and silly songs. Seriously, we love silly. That said, I hate the Sing-Along Symphonies with a purple passion. They make me want to stab my ears with an icepick. My kids do love classical music. They all happily listen because the music is beautiful. The music doesn't need any help beyond someone hitting the play button.

:leaving:

I love that it has the music without the words as well as with!

When we play some of the tunes without the words, my kids have commented, "This music speaks... all by itself!" I absolutely love that.

When we are out somewhere, listening, (eg fountain show at Longwood Gardens, radio) or watching (movie background, TV show), the kids will ID the music... And do so by its correct name, not the silly one, based on hearing it in Beethoven's Wig!

We're fans here. Then again, despite years of classical training, I also have a high tolerance for, "Have You Seen Where the Cat Threw Up," and "Buffalo Bob Only Ate Baked Beans," so maybe I'm just not a purist :). (and can anybody clean the fridge without playing, "The Leftovers Are Coming to Get Me?" ).

I found some of these at my library.... Should I request some? Do you think a 5 year old might glean something from it or is geared for much older audiences?

Hate it. Ds took a class at a coop that used that as the basis for the class. He was given a disc to take home.

Pros-kids are sort of introduced to classical music. They can make a connection between classical music=something they enjoy. They do hear bits of the music.

Cons--however, they are not really hearing classical music as it was written. Drives me batty. Even my older ds was a bit like...What the????

I found even when ds was quite young he enjoyed classical music if we just put it on and all relaxed, found some other things to do at the same time--draw, play with legos, clay, etc. It even surprised him. I recall his saying something to the effect of, "I didn't think I was going to like this, but I love it."

Some other kid friendly classical music options:

*Opal Wheeler books and companion cds (available at Christian Book). We have really been liking these this year.

*The Composers Specials by Devine Entertainment. This is a dvd series and has a teacher's guide to go with it. The movies are really enjoyable and a great introduction to the music.

We've used the first 2, but I don't know that they're all that much better than other ways into classical music. We've also used the "Classical Kids" DVDs and CDs with good success.

Positives of Beethoven's Wig:

- My husband thinks the songs are corny BUT admits that he appreciates being able to identify some of the songs (which he couldn't do before)

- My 3yo enjoys them and also can identify the various songs, even out of context

- My 8yo enjoys them too

- The 3rd CD introduces various orchestral instruments, which is kinda cool

- Some of the songs are really quite hilarious. We've had some lovely singalongs with Eine Kleine Nachtmusik

Cons:

- I can't listen to Eine Kleine Nachtmusik without wanting to sing corny lyrics.

- The soprano on the 2nd and 3rd discs is awful. Her voice isn't great and she is sharp a lot. (I like the one on the 1st disc, though)

- While there is a group of singers, there is definitely a primary voice which gets old after a while. It doesn't help that his voice isn't the nicest to listen to -- he's on key so that's not the problem but his voice is clearly not the selling point on this album.

Good luck!

:)

I love that it has the music without the words as well as with!

When we play some of the tunes without the words, my kids have commented, "This music speaks... all by itself!" I absolutely love that.

This. As my dc get older, they like it without the words more than with the words, but they do remember the tidbits of useful knowledge that are thrown in with the silly lyrics. It has been our car music for years (Volumes 1-4).

My dh is irritated when the words get stuck in his head.

The rest of us use them to be able to identify the music, and even when the composer or title isn't in the song, it isn't usually a big leap to mentally attach it to the words. My kids are quick with the ones on the cds we have. Even the 3yo was able to correct the adults about a Schubert piece we heard recently.:tongue_smilie:

I don't know that I would have bought more than one for my 6yos or myself BUT my 3yo really likes them, and so rather than subject the rest of us to the same one over and over and over, it seemed prudent to purchase a few more.

We love the BW CDs here! I know zero about classical music but was determined to teach at least something to my kids. Sure, they know the silly lyrics, but I think those also helped the pieces stand out to them. (And it doesn't hurt that they also learned the kings and queens of England because of one of the songs.) For *me,* things like BW act as a gateway to appreciating classical music. :)

My kids also really love Susan Hammond's Classical Kids series -- Beethoven Lives Upstairs, etc. They're not as silly as the BW, and they include several pieces by each composer. I like how the music is in the background, and they use different pieces to highlight different moods in the story. And the kids get a bit of biographical information too, which helps them understand the composer's perspective. (Also, the one that is a simple version of Mozart's The Magic Flute made the basic plot of TMF accessible to them, and then DD went through a stage where she was comparing various singers' versions of The Queen of the Night on youtube, so that was not, IMO, a bad thing.)

Love classical music. Therefore, detest Beethoven's Wig. I was surprised how strong of a reaction I had when I heard of them and then actually heard them. I do not want my children to "learn" music this way. The pieces are true and beautiful and memorable enough on their own. If some aren't, and the kids don't recognize every famous piece or composer because certain ones don't touch them in any way then eh, so what? But to have those lyrics forever stuck in the brain along with a beautiful piece of music makes me want to run screaming. :tongue_smilie:

My library has both Beethoven's Wig 1 and 2, and we have checked them out and enjoyed them. I check out a WIDE variety of classical music choices, so my girls are hearing plenty of "pure" classical. They love the silly songs though, and love to dance around while they're playing. :001_smile:

I'm torn... I like the idea of making classical songs so kid-friendly but there is the purist part of me that isn't sure I want my kids to get these songs stuck in their heads.....

What says the hive? Thoughts??? Experience with it??

I don't have experience with it but I would borrow before buying and it doesn't look like anything that we need at this point.

I have listened to what someone else mentioned -- Susan Hammond's materials for kids. You can preview Song of the Unicorn here. There are other episodes that my kids liked that were not based on her work.

I think Classics for Kids was already mentioned; we like that site, too.

I found some of these at my library.... Should I request some? Do you think a 5 year old might glean something from it or is geared for much older audiences?

which are you referring to? The Opal Wheeler books or the Composers' Specials? I think a five year old might enjoy the movies a bit more, but I guess it depends on the child. Since your library has them, why not take one out and give it a go?

Hmmm....This thread is making me think now. My dd actually LOVES classical music and has all of her life. (We frequently forget the iPod when we get in the car and we detest almost all radio, so it's either "the violins" or NPR--guess what the 4-year-old prefers.) I was really interested in BW as a way for dd just to learn to identify the pieces and composers but now I'm worried that it will ruin the music for her. Darn it!

Hmmm....This thread is making me think now. My dd actually LOVES classical music and has all of her life. (We frequently forget the iPod when we get in the car and we detest almost all radio, so it's either "the violins" or NPR--guess what the 4-year-old prefers.) I was really interested in BW as a way for dd just to learn to identify the pieces and composers but now I'm worried that it will ruin the music for her. Darn it!

I don't know. I, too, love classical music. I have played and sung classical pieces, sometimes in some of the cathedrals for which they were specifically written. Amazing experience that.

But I still have room to enjoy BW, too. And Peter and the Wolf. And regular music. For me, life would just be so boring plugged into only one stream, or lacking a sense of humor.

I don't know. I, too, love classical music. I have played and sung classical pieces, sometimes in some of the cathedrals for which they were specifically written. Amazing experience that.

But I still have room to enjoy BW, too. And Peter and the Wolf. And regular music. For me, life would just be so boring plugged into only one stream, or lacking a sense of humor.

That's good to hear. Thank you!

dh likes it which is good so I don't have to be subjected to his heavy rock/metal music or Christian heavy metal.

dd9s and dd7 likes them

ds 2.5 goes along with them

ds 17, dd 15 do not like them at all. Says it ruins the music

dd 13 hasn't heard it yet

me---take it or leave it