Menu

S/o about Facebook?

Lately I have twice run into situations where communication was expect to occur through FB.

For example, someone here pays to take an in person class and is told on thefirst day of the class that they have to friend everyone on FB. This is a no go for us. IMO, we didn't enroll in an online class for a reason. And two, our teachers and classmates aren't friends, and thus don't need to be on our FB. And lastly, FB IMO is intended for personal use, not professional use. For professional use, I would expect them to use linkedIN.

It's the second time that has happened.

What do you do in these situations? We are muddling through, but it is still annoying.:)

IF it were a group facebook page for the class, I would not mind. If you are just friending 30 random people, I would suggest that they create a group page on facebook. You get to post and the group can read your post yet you don't get 30 new facebook friends...you get 1 new group.

That would be my suggestion. I would talk to the director, teacher, organizer...whoever is in charge and flat out tell them that I would not friend 30 strangers. Ask if they know about group pages.

You can separate friends into groups that will only see what you want them to see, but since I think this is a hassle, and am just too lazy to do this, I set up a dummy account that we both use for situations like this.

Those people are Fakebooked :tongue_smilie:

Or you could start a group page, get the benefit of communication, and not have to friend any of them!

Can you ask they set up a private group page? That way you can ask to join, they approve you in, any communication within the group is private and when you're done, you can then leave the group.

We use a private group page for our cub scout den and it works really nicely for communicating with all (I have a huge den - 13 boys for Wolves) about meetings, cancellations, changes and all that quickly since most opt to receive an email when I (or the other two admins) post anything on the wall for the group.

I do not have facebook at all, and yep we have run into this. I just hand over my email address and let them know I can be reached that way if a message needs to be sent via internet. If that is not convenient, they can also have my cell #. :)

Well I give a home number and email and that is it.

I give my business communication email and my phone number. That is it. If it is too much trouble for someone to email (doesn't everyone have email?) or call then it is probably not something I want to be included in.

Agreed.

I HATE FB GROUPS and PAGES! (I'm not yelling at anyone here. More of a quiet scream in the closet.;))

Someone added me to their group and that very day I got 144 messages all doubled as they were also sent to my email. Every time anyone posts anything to either, everyone in the group gets a notice about it.

In my case, I don't want to do FB more than I already do and I prefer to keep it exclusively to actual friends and family.

In the case of my kids, none of them have Facebook accounts and I don't plan to ever start one for them. The teens do have email accounts, tho they don't get on the computer much, they do have the emails go direct to their iPhone notification.

WSomeone added me to their group and that very day I got 144 messages all doubled as they were also sent to my email. Every time anyone posts anything to either, everyone in the group gets a notice about it.

There is a notification setting for groups that you can control on your group page.

This is why FB is set up with a junk email. I have more than one email address. FB gets the one I don't use for serious communication, that way I don't have to worry about a junked up inbox.

Sounds like you need to change your notification settings.

There is a notification setting for groups that you can control on your group page.

Sounds like you need to change your notification settings.

No. I don't need anymore groups, pages, boards, emails, and sites to control, adjust, modify, navigate, set up, or whatever all else. I'd rather not do more to the already too much I am doing.

You can separate friends into groups that will only see what you want them to see, but since I think this is a hassle, and am just too lazy to do this, I set up a dummy account that we both use for situations like this.

Those people are Fakebooked :tongue_smilie:

Or you could start a group page, get the benefit of communication, and not have to friend any of them!

Fakebooked! haha, that's funny. These are all good ideas.

I think facebook groups can be good, but communication in a group should never be solely through facebook imo. It's presumptuous to assume everyone wants to communicate through facebook. If it's a group decision, great, but I don't like being told what to do. I think e-mail should be acceptable for groups. You can also set up a blog if you don't want to invest into a website.

Lately I have twice run into situations where communication was expect to occur through FB.

For example, someone here pays to take an in person class and is told on thefirst day of the class that they have to friend everyone on FB. This is a no go for us. IMO, we didn't enroll in an online class for a reason. And two, our teachers and classmates aren't friends, and thus don't need to be on our FB. And lastly, FB IMO is intended for personal use, not professional use. For professional use, I would expect them to use linkedIN.

It's the second time that has happened.

What do you do in these situations? We are muddling through, but it is still annoying.:)

I dislike the idea that someone must register with any company that profits from their personal information in order to do a class.

I think the distinction you draw between FB and Linked In is a bit fuzzy. It's not like there are hard and fast rules on social media. I am not a member of LinkedIn and would object very much to being told I needed to join it.

I would also object to being told that I had to friend someone and even more that I needed to friend everyone in the class. To me, this is very much crossing a line. It is one thing if the instructor sets up a Facebook page and says that announcements will be made there, here's how to "like" the page. That doesn't imply a social closeness with the other students or between student and teacher.

If the student were under 13, I would point out that they can't join FB without lying on the registration.

If over 13, then I would coach them in explaining that they have a personal policy of only friending actual friends, not just classmates. Then they can inquire about alternate communications methods. If nothing is offered, then I would complain to whatever umbrella organization existed for the class. I just think this is over the line.

IF it were a group facebook page for the class, I would not mind. If you are just friending 30 random people, I would suggest that they create a group page on facebook. You get to post and the group can read your post yet you don't get 30 new facebook friends...you get 1 new group.

That would be my suggestion. I would talk to the director, teacher, organizer...whoever is in charge and flat out tell them that I would not friend 30 strangers. Ask if they know about group pages.

:iagree:

No. I don't need anymore groups, pages, boards, emails, and sites to control, adjust, modify, navigate, set up, or whatever all else. I'd rather not do more to the already too much I am doing.

I can appreciate that this isn't a medium you like. But it's the way that the group has chosen to communicate. I don't blame them, because it is easy to set up a private Facebook group, the individual members join and the moderator or group leader can post ONE message to all the group members. With email, the moderator has to create an email group, hope they have everyone's email address correct, and then be prepared to update the group all the time as people's email addresses change. If an email bounces back, then they have to go to the trouble of contacting the member another way and updating their information. So, by asking a moderator to do it your way, you are asking them to add more to the "too much they are already doing."

It's not hard to change your Facebook settings so you don't get email notifications. I no longer get ANY Facebook emails and it's lovely. Of course, I check my Facebook each day, so I know I am not missing anything. Some of my friends prefer not to check FB each day, so they have their account set up to send email notifications instead and are able to stay informed without having to actually sign in to FB.

I think facebook groups can be good, but communication in a group should never be solely through facebook imo. It's presumptuous to assume everyone wants to communicate through facebook. If it's a group decision, great, but I don't like being told what to do. I think e-mail should be acceptable for groups. You can also set up a blog if you don't want to invest into a website.

Almost every homeschool/sports/extracurricular group we are affiliated with uses or used to use Yahoo groups to communicate. If I wanted to be "in the know" for my group, I had to subscribe to the Yahoo group. Or not, it was my choice. Like Facebook groups, they are much more convenient to moderate than calling or emailing. Many of these groups now are migrating over to Facebook instead. As I mentioned above, it is much easier from a group leader standpoint to communicate in a way that requires ONE message that can reach all group members. It may seem presumptuous, but IMO no more so than the all the Yahoo groups I've been asked to join in the past. I don't see why a moderator should have to make the effort to set up an entirely separate blog or website, when Facebook is such an easy option.

Almost every homeschool/sports/extracurricular group we are affiliated with uses or used to use Yahoo groups to communicate. If I wanted to be "in the know" for my group, I had to subscribe to the Yahoo group. Or not, it was my choice. Like Facebook groups, they are much more convenient to moderate than calling or emailing. Many of these groups now are migrating over to Facebook instead. As I mentioned above, it is much easier from a group leader standpoint to communicate in a way that requires ONE message that can reach all group members. It may seem presumptuous, but IMO no more so than the all the Yahoo groups I've been asked to join in the past. I don't see why a moderator should have to make the effort to set up an entirely separate blog or website, when Facebook is such an easy option.

There is a big difference between an extracurricular group and a work or other educational must situation. The employee of the institution is not a volunteer, they are paid to conduct a class and bringing any info needed for that class with them to class is just part of the job, imnsho.

I can appreciate that this isn't a medium you like. But it's the way that the group has chosen to communicate. I don't blame them, because it is easy to set up a private Facebook group, the individual members join and the moderator or group leader can post ONE message to all the group members. With email, the moderator has to create an email group, hope they have everyone's email address correct, and then be prepared to update the group all the time as people's email addresses change. If an email bounces back, then they have to go to the trouble of contacting the member another way and updating their information. So, by asking a moderator to do it your way, you are asking them to add more to the "too much they are already doing."

Honestly if the moderator is too lazy to pick up the phone and call or send out an group email why should one be required to join a group (FB) that one is philosophically opposed to just to to get communications.

If one is in charge of issuing valuable communications to a group of people wouldn't it be best to actually pick up the phone and communicate in person so one knows one has actually passed the information to everyone.

I think it is part of being in charge to have to make the time to communicate with members in which ever form each member prefers. Otherwise step aside and let someone else who has the time and inclination take over communications.

Because facebook is not anonymous. Some people have serious issue with facebook's privacy. Yahoo groups, blogs, websites etc do not force you to put all your information out there. I like private facebook groups, but if I'm coordinating an event I would not assume everyone has the same comfort level with facebook that I have.

Honestly if the moderator is too lazy to pick up the phone and call or send out an group email why should one be required to join a group (FB) that one is philosophically opposed to just to to get communications.

If one is in charge of issuing valuable communications to a group of people wouldn't it be best to actually pick up the phone and communicate in person so one knows one has actually passed the information to everyone.

I think it is part of being in charge to have to make the time to communicate with members in which ever form each member prefers. Otherwise step aside and let someone else who has the time and inclination take over communications.

See now, for a volunteer situation, if they can manage their time and give plenty of notice - I don't can understand the simplicity of a blanket email. It's not that hard to do. And of course, if they can't give at least 24 hour notice, then a follow up California anyone that didn't respond quick to the email is just smart. FB or email, if you need them to know it that day, you should probably call. Not everyone sits around checking email or FB multiple times a day!

But for work situations? I'm trying to picture the look on a boss' face if his employee said, "I made a FB page for my work that you can go to if you need to know what I'm doing." ummm. Yeah. no.

If I pay to enroll in a brick and mortar class, I do think communicating with students about important class info is just part of their job.I wouldn't appreciate going to class and asking a question about the lass and the teacher not being prepared so they direct me to keep checking FB until they get the info to it.

I've been involved in lots of different homeschool co-ops and groups as a teacher or helper as well as team mom for sports teams. These tasks involve a lot of work and time. If I can communicate to everyone on the team or in the class in one five minute message, that's workable. But if I have to call every single person on the list, that's a lot more time away from my family and other responsibilities. And inevitably, someone's VM box is full or "not currently accepting messages" or they have no VM or answering machine at all. Then I have to make a note, and hope I remember to call them back again later. I don't think that preferring a more efficient and less foolproof system makes one lazy. :001_smile:

Regardless, there's always one or two members who don't use facebook or texting or whatever convenient means we are using to communicate. So as a group leader, I accept that I will have to contact them by phone call. But even then, it's more manageable to deal with a few outliers and communicate with the main portion of the group all at once. As a leader, I do think one should accept that because let's be fair, some are unable to use the new communication mediums (not everyone has internet at home or texting) and some as you say are philosophically opposed.

For volunteer positions especially, I don't really think it's helpful to characterize folks as lazy or needing to step aside just because they don't communicate in our preferred manner. Just as it wouldn't be helpful for me to tell folks to "get with the times, ya old fogie." ;)

Even with paying positions, like teaching B&M classes as the OP discussed, I think it's not unreasonable to expect to be communicating using current technology. It's been 15 years since I finished college, and even then the majority of my professors sent their syllabus on email and expected us to check a college website or our email for class updates. Even back then, there was NO chance my professor was going to pick up a phone and make sure I got the message. Today, many professors and colleges communicate with students via text or FB groups, so it's probably wise for our kids to get used to it now. JMO.

Because facebook is not anonymous. Some people have serious issue with facebook's privacy. Yahoo groups, blogs, websites etc do not force you to put all your information out there. I like private facebook groups, but if I'm coordinating an event I would not assume everyone has the same comfort level with facebook that I have.

I see what you're saying. But for FB private groups, the only thing anyone would see is your name as a group member. Which, presumably they would already know. You don't have to add anyone as your friend and let them see any other personal information you have on FB. So, I guess I just don't see how it's any less private than a Yahoo group or a blog. Even posting on someone's blog usually requires a username and email address.

Our homeschool support group considered going to FB as the Yahoo! Group we were using was too "open". But in the long run, we decided on using Big Tent and it has worked far better than FB.

Or sometimes a group forces you to have text capability. When my son played football the coach sent out texts if a practice was cancelled or there was something he needed you to know. You didn't have to get texting, but if you didn't you were out of the loop and might show up for practices that were cancelled because there was lightning in the area.

Like it or not technology is a huge part of our lives. I can easily understand a teacher saying if you want to communicate you need to join "this" group page on Facebook, but not personally friending everyone. If you don't want to join, you work it out by asking another student to call you when they get a FB message, the same way people figured out life when some people didn't have a phone. But expecting a teacher or coach, or volunteer anything o call everyone individually is a losing battle I am afraid.

I don't expect anything of volunteers. It's just a happy moment when they exceed my expectation. I understand they are doing what they do out of the kindness of their heart and nothing more.

But there it is rare for there to be a valid excuse for a paid brick and mortar teacher to have some last minute have to know it information to pass on to students. I expect teachers to come to class prepared to teach and inform their students. There is no reason a teacher should come to class and not have everything the student needs for that class and the upcoming class ready to go. That is unprofessional IMO. And this is the situation I am referencing. A paid brick and mortar teaching situation should not need FB to do the job?

It's bad enough that all the textbooks have online homework passcodes you have to pay extra to access.:glare:

One of the local hs groups here (a rare secular one) went to using Facebook, and I've pretty much avoided it since then.

I'm also annoyed at the number of online contests (for example, a Disney vacation one) that require a person to log into their Facebook account.

I can't stand Facebook.....

:001_huh: Why is it lazy to send group messages via a Facebook group but not via group email? I also think it's unreasonable for a group leader to be expected to communicate with each member according to their individual preferences.

But there it is rare for there to be a valid excuse for a paid brick and mortar teacher to have some last minute have to know it information to pass on to students. I expect teachers to come to class prepared to teach and inform their students. There is no reason a teacher should come to class and not have everything the student needs for that class and the upcoming class ready to go. That is unprofessional IMO. And this is the situation I am referencing. A paid brick and mortar teaching situation should not need FB to do the job?

It's bad enough that all the textbooks have online homework passcodes you have to pay extra to access.:glare:

My dd's middle school uses something called Edmodo and it looks and works a lot like Facebook. Some assignments are posted and due through there and classmates have online discussions about topics the teachers will post. It's heavily moderated though so all content is school related and not personal. It has become habit for her to check online daily to make sure she doesn't miss an assignment posted there. I'm thinking there will be more online stuff added every year. :glare:

My dd's middle school uses something called Edmodo and it looks and works a lot like Facebook. Some assignments are posted and due through there and classmates have online discussions about topics the teachers will post. It's heavily moderated though so all content is school related and not personal. It has become habit for her to check online daily to make sure she doesn't miss an assignment posted there. I'm thinking there will be more online stuff added every year. :glare:

See now THAT ticks me off because in my opinion the teacher should get her act together and give the assignments in class, not expect the students to check the Internet whatever repeatedly until she puts it on there.

I really don't care if it is easier for the teacher. It is not easier for the student and more often than not (so far as I am experiencing) it seems to encourage teachers to be procrastinating hacks. When told I was bothered at not having a full week to do assignments, (and thus couldnt plan my schedule bc i had no idea when assignments would be posted) but sometimes just a few days because of when it is posted - I was accused of being an over achiever.:glare:

Edited by Martha
Tmi on teens

I see what you're saying. But for FB private groups, the only thing anyone would see is your name as a group member. Which, presumably they would already know. You don't have to add anyone as your friend and let them see any other personal information you have on FB. So, I guess I just don't see how it's any less private than a Yahoo group or a blog. Even posting on someone's blog usually requires a username and email address.

But some people don't want to join facebook at all. It's not about the privacy of joining a group on facebook, it's the privacy issue with facebook the company.

I don't really have a dog in this fight as I have facebook and don't presume anything put anywhere on the Internet is truly private. However, facebook has had its share of privacy protection issues lately, and I can see why someone might hesitate.

Meetup is another place to try.

The thing is that this takes much more time than simply sending a group e-mail or posting one note on Facebook. If you're talking about a group of, say, three people, that's one thing. But if you're dealing with a group of 10, at five minutes per call, that's nearly an hour.