Menu

They jumped into my shopping cart!

I went to the commissary with one of my kids this afternoon. While there, I bought a bag of tator tots for the first time in my adult life. After reading all those threads on "foods you grew up" on, I couldn't stop myself!

When I was growing up and my dad was flying, my mom would make fish sticks and tater tots. I don't even remember how she made them, in the oven, or in oil, or ??? So we'll see how they taste, and if my kids like them, LOL. Memories . . . who knew I could be a nostalgic shopper?!

Those tv dinners scarred me for life--I still can't eat peas to save my life.

As for tater tots, my kids had only tasted them when they were in school (I'm assuming they're still a lunchroom staple). I bought a pkg a few years back and they were ok.

Always good to branch out. This week tater tots, next week cod liver oil.

Laura

I love the onion tater tots the best.

Now I'm remembering Napoleon Dynamite...when the mean kid squished Napoleon's tots he had in the zipper pocket of his pants.

"Napoleon, give me some of your tots."

"No, go find your own."

"Come on, give me some of your tots."

"No, I'm freakin' starving! I didn't get to eat anything today."

[Randy kicks the tots]

"Ugh! Gross! Freakin' idiot!"

Edited by ~AprilMay~

I remember fish sticks and tater tots. It was one of the better meals that I had. Sometimes they came in a TV Dinner along with wrinkly, tough peas. :ack2:

Well we don't do frozen dinners here but we did have fish sticks and tator tots for dinner earlier this week. I prefer when we do fish and fries but the kids like tator tots. We cook them in the oven, no oils.

Tater tots, french fries and fish sticks taste incredible when fried in hot oil, BUT I force myself to bake them instead. I do cheat a little by lightly spraying the pan with my Misto (love this thing!) filled with canola/olive oil and then spray the food a little too. It makes them crisp up a lot more, especially when you put the pan on the bottom rack of an electric oven and flip them half way. YUM!

I love the onion tater tots the best.

Now I'm remembering Napoleon Dynamite...when the mean kid squished Napoleon's tots he had in the zipper pocket of his pants.

"Napoleon, give me some of your tots."

"No, go find your own."

"Come on, give me some of your tots."

"No, I'm freakin' starving! I didn't get to eat anything today."

[Randy kicks the tots]

"Ugh! Gross! Freakin' idiot!"

:lol::lol:

I love that movie. Who doesn't have someone in their life that reminds them of Napoleon in one way or another?

My kids wanted to go to Sonic yesterday for lunch. I almost said no, Like I usually do, the tater tots were calling, no SCREAMING my name. So, between the tots and sonic ice, I was the first in the car :D

I went to get some Tater tots and chillie and cheese at Sonic but it was CLOSED for the SEASON.:glare: Ds ask whey not make our own...but it just isn't the same.

I remember fish sticks and tater tots. It was one of the better meals that I had. Sometimes they came in a TV Dinner along with wrinkly, tough peas. :ack2:

I love fishsticks. *hangs head in shame*

Who lives in Texas? You need to go to Tillman's Roadhouse in Dallas for some goat cheese filled tater tots.

I don't get why these foods are so shameful. Yes, there are unhealthy versions but there are healthy versions out there too. And even the healthy versions are probably not good to have everyday but I wouldn't think that an occasional indulgence in even the "traditional" kind is that bad.

:iagree: I can tend to have an "all or nothing" view of food. I think if maybe we had a little more moderate view of all food we'd eat a little healthier overall.

I don't get why these foods are so shameful. Yes, there are unhealthy versions but there are healthy versions out there too. And even the healthy versions are probably not good to have everyday but I wouldn't think that an occasional indulgence in even the "traditional" kind is that bad.

:iagree: ER's very favorite lunch ever is sloppy joes with tater tots. EK's is fish sticks with macaroni & cheese. I add some kind of fresh fruit and voila, there's lunch.

We don't eat them regularly--maybe once a month or so--so I don't see a problem with it. I also don't do processed frozen foods for supper; I have to cook a "real" meal then.

I buy "Taters" (that's the name on the package) in the BIG bag at Walmart. The Walmart brand tater tots taste better than the others we've tried. They crisp up very nicely when baked. So do the fish sticks; we like the "Portside" brand of fish sticks from Save-A-Lot--cheap and tasty!

Edited by ereks mom

Tater tots, french fries and fish sticks taste incredible when fried in hot oil, BUT I force myself to bake them instead. I do cheat a little by lightly spraying the pan with my Misto (love this thing!) filled with canola/olive oil and then spray the food a little too. It makes them crisp up a lot more, especially when you put the pan on the bottom rack of an electric oven and flip them half way. YUM!

THis is what I do just no spraying anything on them. They still crisp up very nicely. I don't think it needs anything extra on it. Well other than ketchup to dip when they come out of the oven.

:iagree: ER's very favorite lunch ever is sloppy joes with tater tots. EK's is fish sticks with macaroni & cheese. I add some kind of fresh fruit and voila, there's lunch.

We don't eat them regularly--maybe once a month or so--so I don't see a problem with it. I also don't do processed frozen foods for supper; I have to cook a "real" meal then.

I buy "Taters" (that's the name on the package) in the BIG bag at Walmart. The Walmart brand tater tots taste better than the others we've tried. They crisp up very nicely when baked. So do the fish sticks; we like the "Portside" brand of fish sticks from Save-A-Lot--cheap and tasty!

meh we do what we have on hand. This last week our dinners were roasted chicken with rice and veggies, grilled cheese and canned cream of mushroom soup, Sweet n'sour chicken in rice, fish sticks and tots, last night steak, potatoes and veggies. We flop around based on what we want, some nights it is more processed than others. I don't worry about it too much as long as there is over all balance. If that means we are eating cream of whatever, or tots or fish sticks, or hamburger helper or whatever some nights and other fresher choices other nights so be it. It all depends on our mood and activities. I work until 6 5 days a week. 1 night I have to be at scouts with the boys by 630 in the next town over, the next night I am supposed to have dd at guides at 6, which means she is late and we have to hoof it out the door when my client leaves. Those nights are apt to be more processed for dinner and I am fine with that. THey are lucky they are getting more than a pb&J sandwich for dinner those nights. ;)

And of course now that I am making my grocery list for next week, all this talk of fish sticks and tator tots is making me want to put them back on the list even though we just had them last week.

It isn't the indulgence factor. I have no problem admitting that I like creme brûlée. The problem is that I like the really cheap junky fish sticks. My kids love fish, but won't touch the junky fish sticks, lol.

meh we do what we have on hand. This last week our dinners were roasted chicken with rice and veggies, grilled cheese and canned cream of mushroom soup, Sweet n'sour chicken in rice, fish sticks and tots, last night steak, potatoes and veggies. We flop around based on what we want, some nights it is more processed than others. I don't worry about it too much as long as there is over all balance. If that means we are eating cream of whatever, or tots or fish sticks, or hamburger helper or whatever some nights and other fresher choices other nights so be it. It all depends on our mood and activities. I work until 6 5 days a week. 1 night I have to be at scouts with the boys by 630 in the next town over, the next night I am supposed to have dd at guides at 6, which means she is late and we have to hoof it out the door when my client leaves. Those nights are apt to be more processed for dinner and I am fine with that. THey are lucky they are getting more than a pb&J sandwich for dinner those nights. ;)

Oh, I didn't mean to give the impression that I don't use processed foods at all. I don't like to serve a frozen/processed entree for supper, but I do serve fish sticks or chicken strips/nuggets some days for lunch. For supper, I usually cook a meal that requires using an actual recipe to prepare fresh meat and vegetables, as well as pasta or rice, but do I use some processed items. That would include cream of chicken soup and canned vegetables & fruits as called for in the recipe.