Menu

Steampunk - Tell me about it

From my understanding, Steampunk is very individualized. There aren't a lot of "mass market" Steampunk clothing items, at least not of the pre-made variety (you can buy parts to make your own stuff, and accessories). There's a store called Fuego at my local mall that has one little rack of Steampunk-y accessories, and I know a lot of the Comic-con type conventions sell stuff.

Check out www.epbot.com for some awesome Steampunk tutorials. It's by the same author as the CakeWrecks blog, and she and her husband are *very* into Steampunk (even made a Steampunk Christmas tree this year!), and often make their own stuff, taking pictures along the way to show how they made them. The blog isn't *entirely* Steampunk, but it shows up often enough! :)

The seminal work of "steampunk" (though he didn't coin the term) for grown-ups is perhaps William Gibson's joint novel, The Difference Engine, which was set in an alternate reality where everything that is in our world digital was created in a surreal, analog, Victorian form. Lots of steam and metal bits and darkness.

Scott Westerfield (of Uglies "trilogy" fame) has a new series that certainly has a steampunk LOOK to it - this is Leviathan, the first book. Don't know how appropriate for younger kids - I took it out of the library and my ds17 read it and was hooked. I couldn't get into it.

These days, the term steampunk means almost anything... thus creating the very funny "Not Remotely Steampunk" category on regretsy, where she catalogues items tagged on etsy and ebay as "steampunk" which simply are NOT, like a car... or a child's tutu. (If you don't read regretsy already, proceed with caution and know that the author absolutely LOVES the kitsch she catalogues and frequently buys the tacky items she has featured and can't resist.)

Hobbes has enjoyed this series. He warns that there is a certain amount of gore and 'some people who hate people and do nasty things to other people'.

Well described. It's a great series. I wouldn't worry about giving it to a middle school aged kid, but everyone has their own standards. He has another series - Larklight - which is geared toward slightly younger readers and also has some violence and bad guys, but is a little less dark.

Scott Westerfield (of Uglies "trilogy" fame) has a new series that certainly has a steampunk LOOK to it - this is Leviathan, the first book. Don't know how appropriate for younger kids - I took it out of the library and my ds17 read it and was hooked. I couldn't get into it.

Another good one. I've read all of this series (the new one just came out recently) and I wish it would find a bigger audience. It's totally younger kid appropriate as YA goes, so don't let the YA label scare anyone off too much. There's violence, but it's pretty mild as these things go. There's also some romance, but it never goes beyond one single kiss (and takes three books to even get there).

(And I totally agree that "steampunk" is a term that's everywhere and seems to mean everything now!)

Another younger reader steampunk is The Cabinet of Wonders - it's MG so totally younger kid appropriate. Also, the graphic novel series Amulet (also totally younger kid appropriate - my 7 yos read this one and are 100% obsessed with it) has a steampunk feel. The author's Flight series also has a steampunk feel - though some of that is not younger kid appropriate, but there's a single volume Flight Explorer for young readers and a spinoff series now called Missile Mouse. But by the time you get to that, it's less steampunkish (again, everything but the kitchen sink sometimes).

I read some steampunk books for the first time this year & loved them. Will definitely continue to read more.... If you're on the Goodreads site, there is at least one (probably more) Steampunk book club/discussion groups. That might be a good place to ask for book suggestions for kids.

Don't know if you have ever gone to DragonCon (or other conventions in a similar vein), but there is always quite a large contingent of steampunk folks w/ amazing costumes. A friend of ours did a pretty simple steampunk costume a couple of years ago. One thing he did was get a large water gun & painted it in various copper/gold/metallic shades, added a few wires, etc... to get a steampunk look.

At DragonCon, there are also lectures/roundtable discussions/etc... related to all things steampunk. Perhaps you could check the DragonCon website for some ideas or possibly links.

These days, the term steampunk means almost anything... thus creating the very funny "Not Remotely Steampunk" category on regretsy, where she catalogues items tagged on etsy and ebay as "steampunk" which simply are NOT, like a car... or a child's tutu. (If you don't read regretsy already, proceed with caution and know that the author absolutely LOVES the kitsch she catalogues and frequently buys the tacky items she has featured and can't resist.)

The items are funny enough, but her comments are hilarious!

My daughter wanted to do steampunk for halloween this year. We designed and made the costume ourselves. The clothing parts are re-sized and re-imagined clothing pieces (eg. the topcoat was a large adult trench coat before). Even the lace up fingerless gloves were from scratch, and the little hat was made from cardboard, a plastic bowl, fake suede left over from the trench coat, and other bits and pieces.

I had a BLAST making this up, and she got so many compliments on halloween (although almost nobody knew what she was meant to be). :lol:

Ah, sorry, just realized I didn't really answer your question... basically, look for pieces and parts in thrift stores, the basement, the garage, the craft room, and your imagination to pull together a fun look!

post-34961-1353508593066_thumb.jpg

post-34961-13535085930807_thumb.jpg

Edited by GingerPoppy

I saw Fullmetal Alchemist listed on the Wikipedia page. I think the first tv series story line is closer to this category than the Brotherhood story line, which follows the comic more closely. I love :001_wub: everything about Fullmetal, but it has a lot of language, some animated gore, and it's fairly dark. I think it's aimed more for the 16 year old boy crowd. (Doesn't say much for my maturity.)

Aether Shanties is a recentish album from a steampunk band. I don't know if he would enjoy this music or not. I actually gave this to my 20 year old last Christmas, she is a steampunk fan and music major.

What is and is not steampunk is very subjective. It is not just about

'gears' and 'goggles'. :001_smile:

Steampunk music is hard to define since the genre is usually defined visually.

My 11 yo ds has started to become interested in all things Steampunk.

He bought this, with his own money, of off Amazon the other day, Steampunk Magazine

Can you tell me some books, or music that he could read/listen to?

Where would be a good place to look for some Steampunk type clothing?

[/url]

Ok, reading this thread has educated me, that's for sure! I had seen it here and there but didn't know ANYTHING about it.

Turns out, I kind of like it.... more reading up on it is needed for me! :)

The seminal work of "steampunk" (though he didn't coin the term) for grown-ups is perhaps William Gibson's joint novel, The Difference Engine, which was set in an alternate reality where everything that is in our world digital was created in a surreal, analog, Victorian form. Lots of steam and metal bits and darkness.

That was hilarious. So now I know what ISN'T steampunk... :lol:

Thank you for the link!

That is seriously adorable. And awesome. I'm never creative enough to actually pull together costumes for my kids like that! It's always something bought from the store. :tongue_smilie: Then again, so far, that's all they've wanted to be, so... ;)

love LOVE FMA. Brotherhood was amazing. And yes, quite dark. But Omgoodness I love it. :)

There's steampunk MUSIC, too? Oh my goodness.

Now I'M off to do more research on this whole thing! :)

My daughter wanted to do steampunk for halloween this year. We designed and made the costume ourselves. The clothing parts are re-sized and re-imagined clothing pieces (eg. the topcoat was a large adult trench coat before). Even the lace up fingerless gloves were from scratch, and the little hat was made from cardboard, a plastic bowl, fake suede left over from the trench coat, and other bits and pieces.

I had a BLAST making this up, and she got so many compliments on halloween (although almost nobody knew what she was meant to be). :lol:

Ah, sorry, just realized I didn't really answer your question... basically, look for pieces and parts in thrift stores, the basement, the garage, the craft room, and your imagination to pull together a fun look!

Love, love love this! She is a cutey-pie!