Menu

Gift Idea for 9 yr old dd, I'm stumped!

Any ideas for a gift for my 9 yr old dd. Under $50.

She is at that awkward age where she is too old for some things and not old enough for others.

Help!

My dd is almost 9 and here are some things she especially loves:

- art supplies - she is very much an artist :D Dick Blick has great stuff and free shipping on all orders currently, I believe.

- Klutz books - great pre-made art materials and the likes

- American Girl books - both the historical stories and the "real life" books like The Care and Keeping of You (this one was a huge, huge hit)

- Clothes

- a purse or pretty tote (I'm eyeing a blue canvas with gold stars tote at Jcrew which is currently 30% off and free shipping)

- jewelry - Blue Nile has some great stuff - I have a coupon that is $50 off $125 orders and it gives free 2 day fedex shipping - let me know if you need it. Jcrew also has great jewelry and fabulous clothes - check their sale section - they have great sales! - buy one size up if you're getting her clothes from there.

- Toms shoes - especially sparkly ones. My dd loves these but her feet is narrow and the sparkly ones are better on a wider foot.

My DD is very crafty and crafts are great for any age.

Sewing School and a loaded sewing basket

Doodle Stitching and embroidery supplies (which are very inexpensive!)

This theme is endless. A crochet book and supplies. A knitting book and supplies. A quilting book and supplies. :D An IOU for lessons at Hobby Lobby...

If you need any more handiwork book suggestions, I've got more. :tongue_smilie:

My dd9 asked for:

Bizu (these weird cat-like beads you make jewelry out of)

Warriors books (it's a series about warrior clans of cats...see a theme here?)

Seekers books (series about bears or something)

Alley Cat webkinz

Giraffe pillow pet

Just Dance 2 Kids (Wii game)

Orbeez Soothing Foot Spa

iTunes gift card

suede boots

That's about it. Her 8 year old step sister wanted nearly the exact same things.

Dd8 is getting a sewing kit with the book, Sewing School!

How about a big saucer chair - Justice has fun ones. Just be sure to get it 40% off. Dd got this last year with a fun blanket and pillow from justice. It's a great reading chair! It's a big gift and well loved.

How about an awesome robe and slippers and pedicure set?

I love the cooking theme and handicraft theme. Off to check out Blue Nile.

Dd still plays a lot. She loves her Calico Critters and stuffed animals and American Girl dolls. She is all about AG now - the dolls, the books, the crafts.

Moccasins are all the rage. Maybe Dance Central?

My niece is 9, and this is what we got her:

1. An Angry Birds hooded towel

2. Black ugg-style boots covered with sequins from Old Navy

3. A manicure kit with polish and sparkles and a nail dryer from Justice

4. Some earrings and a jewelry holder from Claire's

5. In a box I'm putting some rainbow headbands, a collection of rainbow socks, some sparkly lip gloss, and a water bottle with her initial on it.

Hmm, I just realized I may have gone a little overboard - I thought I only got her 4 gifts!

Awwww...don't 9 year old girl play with toys anymore?

I played with my Barbies until I was 11..at 9 my Christmas lists were most definitely filled with Barbie, baby doll stuff or Calico Critters (they were called something else way back then though...I can't remember what).

Ds9 has almost all toys on his Christmas list....Legos, Playmobil, Spy Stuff, etc..

Maybe boys just play with toys longer nowadays, lol.

This year I got my 9 yr dd a small tote bag and filled it with air-dry clay, modeling clay, wiggly eyes, paint, popsicle sticks, felt, beads, etc. Her "wow" gift is an iPod Touch and family sent iTunes gift cards. Those two gifts will keep her busy most of the year.

My 10yo daughter is loving her new bean bag. I highly recommend them now. :001_smile:

We got our kids bean bag chairs at about that age. They loved them, and my son's is still in use several years later.

I tried to dig up my lists from when my daughter was eight and nine, but can't find them. I always make the kids at least a couple of things. Pajamas (cross-stitched or appliqued or fabric painted t-shirt and either home-made or purchased pants) and a new ornament for the tree are mandatory. But I like to toss in a couple of other things, too.

The year they got the bean bag chairs, I made fleece blankets and matching pillows.

I've cross-stitched things to frame for their walls.

I crocheted my daughter a purse.

I've made tote bags in favorite colors.

Both of mine are big readers. So, a cross-stitched or otherwise hand-made bookmark is always a hit.

At nine, my daughter was still playing with her American Girl doll, and I made doll clothes and accesories. Matching outfits for girl and doll were always loved.

Books.

Music.

DVDs of favorite films.

One year, we gave our daughter a starter kit for making dollhouse rooms and miniatures. We spent a lot of happy hours working on that project together.

It is kind of a tough age, because they are starting to grow out of "little kid" stuff but do still really want to play. I hope you acquire inspiration soon!

Awwww...don't 9 year old girl play with toys anymore?

I played with my Barbies until I was 11..at 9 my Christmas lists were most definitely filled with Barbie, baby doll stuff or Calico Critters (they were called something else way back then though...I can't remember what).

Ds9 has almost all toys on his Christmas list....Legos, Playmobil, Spy Stuff, etc..

Maybe boys just play with toys longer nowadays, lol.

I feel the same way. My SIL specifically said her dd doesn't want toys, hence my gift selection. But I feel bad, because my boys love their toys, and they seem like so much more fun!

DD9 has written many extensive Christmas lists and she organizes them by topic and where we can find the goods. Maybe some of these ideas will resonate for your daughter. From ThinkGeek.com - the plush microbes, the electronic musical tshirts (on sale today for $15), the levitron, etc. She is a huge Harry Potter fan and already has most of the books about HP, so the Hermione Granger bobble head doll, a fleece HP blanket, an HP book mark, HP legos, etc. HTH

My 10 yo is getting:

• this magic kit (reviews on the book and DVD here)
  • some books on her current passion, neuroscience
  • a decent selection of bamboo knitting needles and some wool
  • a ukelele (everyone is getting one)
  • an Angry Birds pig hat
  • the new Oregon Trail Wii game
  • and a Ball of Whacks (this is the third year she's asked for one)