Menu

Feeling disappointed and need some gift ideas for 2.5 year old

My ds loved his Thomas train set when he was younger, so last year, I thought it would be fun to get my nephew/Godson started on his own set. I bought him a starter set and a couple engines to go with it. I bought him a couple more for his birthday and was planning on getting some more of it for Christmas. I thought it could be "our" thing to buy for him and keep adding on over time. I just spoke to my db to see what he had so far because he had told me that my sil's mother had bought him some too. I find out that she has bought him most, if not all, of the engines and cars along with a bunch of track over the past 6 months or so - they live locally and would take another train to him every time they'd see him. He also has the train table so we can't even splurge and get that. I'm so disappointed, as is ds. We live half way across the country from them and don't get to see him much so to be able to gift him with something that he loves means a lot to us and I feel like it was all taken away when it was something that we started with him. I don't begrudge her buying some for him, but did she really need to go buy them all? I know I need to just get over it, and I'm trying.

So, now I'm looking for something else to start him on that he might also love. He's only 2 and a half, so it's a little early for Playmobile yet. I would also consider something collectable that we could get for him each year. They aren't poor and he's the only grandson on that side of the family, so he really has a lot of things already. Any ideas?

Classic books.

Start with "Cars and Trucks and Things That Go". A classic for the littles!

:iagree: Some good quality, classic books would be wonderful. And in many bookstores, you can buy a stuffed toys to go with certain books. You could get him a book and a matching toy for each holiday.

Just wanted to say, if you want to stick with the Thomas theme, there are so many many accessories out there! Bridges, elevated track, tunnels, and so on. There is cranky the crane (he is a large piece), the mine shaft piece, forget what its called, the station, sheds ect. . My ds has tons of thomas, yet we always see more new things at the store.

Otherwise, books are great gifts. You could start with an Eric Carle collection or something.

Just wanted to say, if you want to stick with the Thomas theme, there are so many many accessories out there! Bridges, elevated track, tunnels, and so on. There is cranky the crane (he is a large piece), the mine shaft piece, forget what its called, the station, sheds ect. . My ds has tons of thomas, yet we always see more new things at the store.

Otherwise, books are great gifts. You could start with an Eric Carle collection or something.

:iagree: Are you sure he has all of them? And there are always the Take-n-play which are smaller, so you have to buy all the trains all over again :001_rolleyes: Does he also have all the Misty Island sets and trains? You could also buy this. You could also buy the movies and shows on dvds.

Little People houses are GREAT for this age.

:iagree: Ds 2.75 LOVES little people, and we have all but the most girly ones. (We have the pink roof house 'cause I got it at a garage sale for $5.)

My sister has these blocks for her boys. She thinks they're the greatest toy. Her boys are older but they are pretty simple blocks--I think they are all the same size plank--and the older you are the more you can do with them. But I would think even a young one could build all kinds of cool stuff.

http://www.amazon.com/KAPLA-Piece-Advanced-Animals-Architecture/dp/B000K09OL6/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1323294117&sr=8-3

What about the heavy-duty play animals like Schleich or Papo make? We bought those for DS#1 from the time he turned 18mo, and at 9.5yrs he is still playing with them. Many of them still look like new even with his rough play.

I also really like the idea of classic children's books.

If he loves Thomas and that's your thing with him, I'd stick with it. My DS loved Thomas at that age too. I would get him some Thomas PJs or books.

:iagree:

I don't know of this helps or hurts, but my boys gave up on Thomas around 5, and now their world revolves around all things Lego. We finally got rid of all the train stuff a few months ago, because it was just collecting dust. if you can make him something or have something handmade for him, then it will probably be kept forever as opposed to a train set. Maybe have a Thomas blanket embroidered with his name and his favorite train or something like that. He will likely love it and sleep with it every night for a long time.

123 Playmobil - a big hit here among kids, boys and girls

Imaginex by Fisher Price - my sil prefers this to Playmobil for her ruff on toys boys (who also adored Thomas the Tank)

Both are great. My 2.5 year old plays too rough with her brother's playmobil castle so we've asked the grandparents for the 123 zoo and/or farm. Lots of our imaginext figures play with the playmobil castle too.

Another grow with me idea might be duplo to lego.

Christine

I just had another thought:

My mom from the time my cousin was pre-k age until he left for college bought him a game every year for his birthday. She was going to switch to something else when he was about 12, but he caught wind and asked her to keep getting him games. He told her it was one of the things he always looked forward to at his birthday.

Thanks for all of the great ideas! I already get him a book every year, but maybe I'll look for a series or a particular author to stick with. I think I've checked out all of the toys mentioned and they all look great! I'm really considering the Schleich animals as he really likes animals too. :thumbup1: I so appreciate the ideas.

Krista...I think you should be thrilled that your idea took off and his grandmother has found something he really likes...grandparents have a harder time finding that special thing...I hope you let go of any bitter feelings, now is the time for you to find something new and fun!

I agree with the others...schleich toys, my son at 2.5 began a quest for all things dinosaur!! The Disney Dinosaur movie was really well made, but even starting younger is the Land Before Time Dinosaurs..you could get him the DVD and find some dinosaur toys....I think our son had over 60 dinosaur books that he still has most of today and of course all his dinosaur collections. They have big stuffed dinosaurs as well that are really nice and fun for this age..

http://www.amazon.com/Melissa-Doug-T-Rex-Dinosaur-Plush/dp/B00021HB9K/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1323302244&sr=8-2

And tons of fun dinosaur books (Danny & the Dinosaur! :)) Or just a hardback book with all the colorful ones in there! :)

Enjoy! What a great aunt/cousin you guys are! :)