Menu

Can you recommend something like Edgar Allan Poe?

My 18 year old is wanting something like that but she has read all of him. She has also read the classics like Frankenstein, Dracula, Rebecca, Dr. Jekyll & Mr. Hyde, The Bell Jar, The Yellow Wallpaper. She is wanting something that is a bit of a supernatural mystery/drama/who done it. I am drawing a blank on anymore obvious choices. Any recommendations?

Did she like Rebecca? If so, then Jamaica inn is even more of a Mystery, also by Daphne du Maurier.

The Historian is very meaty and references Dracula a lot. Really good read.

Lorna Doone

If she likes mystery you might start her on Agatha Christie, the Miss. Marple series.

How old is she? The witching hour by Anne Rice is really good.

ETA: just saw she is 18, have her try the witching hour, she will probably love that.

Nicole

Edited by Northwest_Mama
didn't read properly.

Did she like Rebecca? If so, then Jamaica inn is even more of a Mystery, also by Daphne du Maurier.

The Historian is very meaty and references Dracula a lot. Really good read.

Lorna Doone

If she likes mystery you might start her on Agatha Christie, the Miss. Marple series.

How old is she? The witching hour by Anne Rice is really good.

ETA: just saw she is 18, have her try the witching hour, she will probably love that.

Nicole

She liked the Twilight series, mostly for the story, but she is generally up for more demanding material. I will check the ones that you mentioned.

She liked the Twilight series, mostly for the story, but she is generally up for more demanding material. I will check the ones that you mentioned.

I liked Twilight too, the author is a good story teller, but it is a fluffy TV book. (TV books are ones that take as much effort to read as to watch on TV:lol:)

Anne Rice is the one who wrote Interview with a Vampire. The books are much better than the movie, and only the first one is from Louis (Brad Pitts) point of Narration. The vampire Lestat is the next one, and much better, but from then on it is from Lestat's point of view.

The Witching Series is a different series, and if she likes them it is worth reading The vampire Lestat later just for back ground. The original Trilogy stands alone. The Witching Hour, Lasher, and Taltos. It is a heavy historical book. It starts out in the 1500's in Scotland and through one femal in the family moves around the world to modern day America.

The Historian is another tale of intrigue that is very hefty. It moves through America and Europe. Both of them are books that I can't sit down and read in one night (like the twilight books)

Have fun:D

Drood by Dan Simmons

Amazon description:

On June 9, 1865, while traveling by train to London with his secret mistress, 53-year-old Charles Dickens--at the height of his powers and popularity, the most famous and successful novelist in the world and perhaps in the history of the world--hurtled into a disaster that changed his life forever.

Did Dickens begin living a dark double life after the accident? Were his nightly forays into the worst slums of London and his deepening obsession with corpses, crypts, murder, opium dens, the use of lime pits to dissolve bodies, and a hidden subterranean London mere research . . . or something more terrifying?

Just as he did in The Terror, Dan Simmons draws impeccably from history to create a gloriously engaging and terrifying narrative. Based on the historical details of Charles Dickens's life and narrated by Wilkie Collins (Dickens's friend, frequent collaborator, and Salieri-style secret rival), DROOD explores the still-unsolved mysteries of the famous author's last years and may provide the key to Dickens's final, unfinished work: The Mystery of Edwin Drood. Chilling, haunting, and utterly original, DROOD is Dan Simmons at his powerful best.

Anne Rice is the one who wrote Interview with a Vampire. The books are much better than the movie, and only the first one is from Louis (Brad Pitts) point of Narration. The vampire Lestat is the next one, and much better, but from then on it is from Lestat's point of view.

Not all of them are from Lestat's POV. Armand and Marius have their own POV books, for example.

My 18 year old is wanting something like that but she has read all of him. She has also read the classics like Frankenstein, Dracula, Rebecca, Dr. Jekyll & Mr. Hyde, The Bell Jar, The Yellow Wallpaper. She is wanting something that is a bit of a supernatural mystery/drama/who done it. I am drawing a blank on anymore obvious choices. Any recommendations?

I tend to read books like those. I also liked:

Jonathon Strange and Dr. Morell

The Historian

The House on the Strand

The City of Dreaming Books

The Dante Club

The Poe Shadow

The Last Dickens

Books by Margery Allingham

Books by Connie Willis -Especially Lincoln's Dreams or Passage

I tend to read books like those. I also liked:

Jonathon Strange and Dr. Morell

The Historian

The House on the Strand

The City of Dreaming Books

The Dante Club

The Poe Shadow

The Last Dickens

Books by Margery Allingham

Books by Connie Willis -Especially Lincoln's Dreams or Passage

Another Poe lover! I've read the bolded ones above (and now am going to hunt down the rest). I just finished the "Mistress of the Art of Death" series by Ariana Franklin. I have LOVED it. The sad thing is that there are only four books in the series and will never be more because the author died, but those four are so good I recommend them, anyway. They're historical fiction but beautifully written IMHO.

Let's see... I also have "The Hangman's Daughter," which is kinda like that. I personally think the translation could use some extra work, but that may be because I know just enough German to hear bits of the book in my head in the original language. It's still a good book.

I've also enjoyed the book series by Ruth Downie.

I am taking American Literature before 1865 in college and we are reading from a collection of short stories by authors such as Edgar Allen Poe, Emily Dickinson, Nathanial Hawthorne's The Birth Mark, etc. Here is the set I have below, but I also have both Volume A and VB as well. These are a great collection and this is college level reading.

http://compare.ebay.com/like/190595191511?var=lv&ltyp=AllFixedPriceItemTypes&var=sbar

Not all of them are from Lestat's POV. Armand and Marius have their own POV books, for example.

That is true, but I could not manage to read those. I got through Memnoch, and I tried the Armand, Marius, Vittorio etc... but I just couldn't read them. I started again with (not sure of the order) Merrick, blood and gold, Blackwood farm, blood canticle. Where Lestat and the witches meet up. I LOVED those.

Mrs. Mungo, are you an Anne Rice fan too?

That is true, but I could not manage to read those. I got through Memnoch, and I tried the Armand, Marius, Vittorio etc... but I just couldn't read them. I started again with (not sure of the order) Merrick, blood and gold, Blackwood farm, blood canticle. Where Lestat and the witches meet up. I LOVED those.

Mrs. Mungo, are you an Anne Rice fan too?

It is more that I am OCD when it comes to finishing a series of books, LOL. I liked some of the books more than others. Some are good, some are only fair. But, there are very few series that I start and don't finish. I have only read her vampire books. :)