Menu

Any good fantasy or science fiction books for boys?

I am looking for good recommendations for fantasy or science fiction books or what not for ds.

He likes Limony Snickets, Tunnels, Percy Jackson, Narnia, 39 Clues, etc.

Any suggestions?:D

Pre-read them but some of the Heinleins are fantastic and he is approaching the age at which some will be appropriate.

Has he read Tolkein? Start with the Hobbit and work your way forward.

Asimov's Foundation series?

The series that starts with "The Book of Three"

Edgar Egar? All of them?

Tom's Midnight Garden

Dealing with Dragons and the rest of that series

Dark Is Rising series?

Charlie Bone

Septimus Heap

Artimis Fowl

Has he read Tolkein? Start with the Hobbit and work your way forward.

Asimov's Foundation series?

The series that starts with "The Book of Three"

Edgar Egar? All of them?

Tom's Midnight Garden

Dealing with Dragons and the rest of that series

Dark Is Rising series?

Charlie Bone

Septimus Heap

Artimis Fowl

He has not read the Hobbit. I want us to read Tolkein for school since to me his books are the best;)

I will have to check out the rest:001_smile:. He does have the Book of Three and Charlie Bone as well.

We liked the Fablehaven series, Pendragon is also good. They are in the YA section, but I didn't really understand why. It's a series of 10. I'd recommend prereading the first one to make sure it's okay for your ds.

My oldest wasn't interested in Pendragon, but loved Fablehaven. FWIW, I had no problem with him reading the other series, if he wanted to.

The Dark is Rising and Gregor the Overlander are both really good. And I'll add the Bartimaeus Trilogy as another good, but lengthy option. I also think Diana Wynne Jones's entire set of work is AMAZING and worth reading.

And some "girl" ones can be boy-friendly too. I think there are boys who enjoy The Sisters Grimm or So You Want to Be a Wizard despite having female protagonists.

The Dark is Rising and Gregor the Overlander are both really good. And I'll add the Bartimaeus Trilogy as another good, but lengthy option. I also think Diana Wynne Jones's entire set of work is AMAZING and worth reading.

And some "girl" ones can be boy-friendly too. I think there are boys who enjoy The Sisters Grimm or So You Want to Be a Wizard despite having female protagonists.

Diana Wynne Jones is really wonderful. And yes, my boy is an equal opportunity reader and wouldn't think twice about a female protagonist. That was part of why I suggested the Dealing with Dragons series. He said it is one of his favorite. Of course, that leads to things like Xena being his favorite thing to watch. :lol:

William Sleator

Daniel Pinkwater (Lizard Music is one my DS loves)

DS likes The Lost World (the Sir Arthur Conan Doyle version, not Michael Crichton), which is SF, but not futuristic

Madeleine L'Engle, particularly the books in the Kairos timeline (the Time quartet and a few others).

Time Cat by Lloyd Alexander is one I remember enjoying, and on my list of things I think I may read aloud this year

The Tripod series by John Christopher (When The Tripods Came is a prequel - The White Mountains is the original "first" book, and I personally think the best for reading first. Reading the prequel first takes away some of the mystery. But I'm also a fan of Narnia in the original order, with TLTWATW first :))

Ender's Game is the only one in that series that I'd recommend without reservation to a 10 year old. The others I'd suggest pre-reading. They were not written as childrens' books, and later books deal with more adult themes.

Sidetracking, since several have mentioned The Dark Is Rising series...

Does anyone know of a series similar in nature to The Dark Is Rising (relatively modern children on an Arthurian quest)? I thought I'd read The Dark Is Rising as a child, but when I read it as an adult I couldn't remember it at all. The general themes seemed vaguely familiar, but the plot was completely unfamiliar.

Ds (9) has enjoyed....

The Chronicles of Prydain series

- The Book of Three

- The Black Cauldron

- The Castle of Llyr

- Taran the Wanderer

- The High King

The Lord of the Rings trilogy

- The Fellowship of the Ring

- The Two Towers

- The Return of the King

The Hobbit

The Edge Chronicles series

- Beyond the Deepwoods

- Stormchaser

- Midnight Over Sanctaphrax

- The Curse of the Gloamglozer

- The Last of the Sky Pirates

- Vox

- Freeglader

- The Winter Knights

- Clash of the Sky Galleons

- The Immortals

The Chronicles of Narnia

Peter and the Starcatchers

Peter and the Shadow Thieves

Peter and the Secrets of Rundoon

The Harry Potter Series

My 9 yr old is crazy about Terry Pratchett books. She got hooked with Wee Free Men...

There is occasional adult humor or themes in them, which tickles her even more. It's pretty benign, but some families may not want to go there.

1dd got dh hooked. he's always reading lines to me. maybe one day I'll read them.

death is a favorite character around here. we were looking at leather club-style chairs and dh saw one -oh, I want that. it looks like death's chair at the club. :blink: - for*get. it.

Pratchett has a fine sense of irony and satire.

Edited by gardenmom5