Menu

Christmas Dinner

we have tradtionally had our "big" dinner on christmas eve. (my daughter wants to change things this year.)

the menu for most of thanksgiving is set in stone, so christmas we can play. entree's have ranged from a standing rib roast to giant prawns. (lobster wasn't in the budget.). we've also done ham (if it doesn't have a bone, it's not a ham.) and leg of lamb. NEVER turkey. I'm trying to remember if we've ever actually done goose. we have talked about a roast suckling pig. . .

Ham -- reason being, it can be warmed all day with no fears of over/under doing it. I make sides ahead of time that go with it (green bean casserole, pineapple casserole, etc). The goal is for me to be able to enjoy the day (this is per my sweet dh who watched his mom slave away every Christmas and not really get to relax like everyone else)! So we go for "nice" but not high-maintenance. I love it. :)

We like to go out for Chinese for Christmas dinner, but MIL has for the last couple years insisted we come over instead because she "has something in the freezer" she needs to use up. We've taken to going for Chinese on Boxing Day.

For Christmas Dinner if it is not raining Dh smokes a turkey on the BBQ. If it is raining we have a lovely glazed, bone-in ham. It is just our immediate family so we go for "nice, but not crazy for mom." I generally have books to read. Each person gets to pick something easy, that I can make ahead for a side.

Christmas Eve dinner is handmade raviolis from the fabulous Italian delicatessen. Dh's family has been having these for Christmas Eve for 3 generations.

Amber in SJ

Christmas Eve is with the in-laws at a restaurant. Last year it was Pizza Hut. Everyone in the family is so PICKY, so it's hard to find a place that everyone likes.

Christmas Day is with dh, the kids, and me and whoever wants to join us at the Chinese Buffet. Sometimes family joins, sometimes friends, sometimes it's just us.

We don't cook on Christmas. We play with our toys.

Christmas Eve dinner is homemade perogies with polish sausage and rye bread with some some kind of vegetable, usually broccoli. Dh's family is Polish (obviously).

Christmas Day is with my family. We usually have roast beef, mashed potatoes, etc.

New Year's Day is ham because it's easy to eat while watching the game. :)

We go with a fancy meal that doesn't take long to prep. Last year was lamb roast w/mushroom soup. This year I think it'll be Essex fried rabbit & roasted Brussels sprouts, cauliflower & broccoli. Maybe French Onion Soup.

Christmas Eve dinner is homemade perogies with polish sausage and rye bread with some some kind of vegetable, usually broccoli. Dh's family is Polish (obviously).

Christmas Day is with my family. We usually have roast beef, mashed potatoes, etc.

New Year's Day is ham because it's easy to eat while watching the game. :)

I really, really want to come to your house for Christmas eve. :D

For our Christmas eve, we have a long-standing tradition of a creamy, spicy corn and potato chowder. It is well loved.

Christmas day we have pretty much a repeat of Thanksgiving (mind you, Canadian Thanksgiving is in October, so it's more spaced out than for Americans) including turkey, cranberries, stuffing, twice baked potato casserole, all the sides, pumpkin pie, and so on. We've been known to do a similar dinner once again on New Year's Day.

Before 2007, we had the typical Thanksgiving dinner again at Christmas.

Now we have this:

Beef Rib Roast with Yorkshire Pudding - http://www.slashfood.com/2006/12/29/cooking-live-with-slashfood-beef-rib-roast-yorkshire-pudding/

Steamed fresh green beans with dried cranberries and almonds

Fruit Salad - apples, bananas, oranges, raisins, pecans mixed with a little bit of sugar and lemon juice

A few dessert choices, always including mincemeat pie for DH, cheesecake, fruitcake, Christmas cookies, and something I like that I don't make very often.

In the UK/Ireland traditional Christmas dinner is served around 2pm on Christmas day and the menu doesn't stray much from this:

Turkey

Ham

Pigs in blankets

Stuffing

Mashed and roast potatoes

Carrots, possibly parsnips

Brussels sprouts

Gravy

Cranberry sauce

We always drink Scloer.

I think bread sauce is popular in England but we've never had it.

Traditional pudding is plum pudding set on fire, although I usually make a lighter option that the kids prefer like cranberry cheesecake.

Christmas Eve is generally a prep day and we visit some family that we wouldn't see on Christmas day, so we can usually get fed on the run. Traditionally, we have full Irish breakfast at my IL's and my FIL tries his best to get me to drink Irish cream at midday.:lol:

Christmas is our big day over here as we don't have Thanksgiving and tradition is very important.:D

We used to do prime rib but now that we're homesteading our main dishes are going to be raised or hunted by us.

So far the plan is;

fruitcake

trifle

tourtiere

potato strudel

apple stuffed pork loin wrapped with prosciutto

braised rabbit in mustard sauce or pheasant stuffed with oyster dressing

creamed spinach

beet and apple salad with blue cheese

sweet potato gnocchi with chestnuts

Christmas is in the middle of our summer, here, and the weather is usually very hot, so in order to preserve our sanity, Christmas meals revolve around cold seafood (which is rather good in this part of the world :D) cold ham and cold salads. If it's cooler (and by that we mean anything less than 100F :D) we cook seafood on the BBQ. My family is Russian so we include several Russian salads including Russian Vinaigrette and a Russian herring salad.

For dessert, we have to have a pavlova and I make a Christmas ice Cream dessert by mixing a tub of vanilla ice cream with almonds, dried apricots & raisins that have been soaked in brandy, and just for good measure I add another slug of brandy :tongue_smilie: (the kids don't eat this one :))

We have hallacas which are a souped-up tamale wrapped in plantain leaves. They're very good, but very labor-intensive to make, so we always buy them. We may be going somewhere new this Christmas, so I may have to do a Thanksgiving redux meal instead. Or I might try Wendy's appetizer idea, I think my kids would like that.

Christmas Eve is usually a snack before church, then participating in the Stone Soup supper between services.

On Christmas Day, we have a feast of all of the Indian food I'm frequently too busy to make at the same time the rest of the year: channa masala (with potatoes), home-made samosas, two kinds of chutney, home-made puri, etc.

We used to do prime rib but now that we're homesteading our main dishes are going to be raised or hunted by us.

So far the plan is;

fruitcake

trifle

tourtiere

potato strudel

apple stuffed pork loin wrapped with prosciutto

braised rabbit in mustard sauce or pheasant stuffed with oyster dressing

creamed spinach

beet and apple salad with blue cheese

sweet potato gnocchi with chestnuts

Wow -- this sounds amazing! I'm not familiar with tourtière, looked it up in wiki, but would love to learn more about it.

Except for the Christmas day dessert, everything is pretty simple, things I cook a lot or buy or can be done ahead. I spend Thanksgiving in the kitchen, but not Christmas.

Christmas Eve:

- salmon with apricot mustard glaze (fast & easy)

- not decided on veggies yet -- I'm always busy on Xmas Eve, so I'll often do (frozen) peas and some kind of rice (Goya yellow rice)

- strawberry almond butter cake

Christmas dinner (evening):

- soup (maybe purchased lobster bisque)

- roast beef (rib roast)

- not decided on veggies yet -- perhaps little potato balls sautéed in clarified butter and green beans in tarragon cream sauce

- bûche de Noël (aka chocolate log cake) with meringue mushrooms -- dc have to have this, but I might add a plum pudding sometime this holiday season

We have lots of other good things around for the holiday, both sweet and savory. On Christmas morning, I put out pâté, baked brie, etc, and we have fruitcakes, stollen, marzipan, etc around

Wow -- this sounds amazing! I'm not familiar with tourtière, looked it up in wiki, but would love to learn more about it.

Tourtiere is a Quebec thing but I'm not French. My grandmother used to make them every year but she isn't French either. I think her ex-husband might have been.

Anyway, I really love it so I make it for Christmas. This is similar to the recipe that I use (mine involves a potato) but I don't know how authentic it is.

Here's the recipe for the potato strudel which is very tasty and the pork loin which I haven't tried yet.

Tourtiere is a Quebec thing but I'm not French. My grandmother used to make them every year but she isn't French either. I think her ex-husband might have been.

Anyway, I really love it so I make it for Christmas. This is similar to the recipe that I use (mine involves a potato) but I don't know how authentic it is.

Here's the recipe for the potato strudel which is very tasty and the pork loin which I haven't tried yet.

Thank you! It would be fun to try during the Xmas season. We have adopted a few traditions from countries/people outside our actual inheritance too -- a favorite is Jamaican black fruitcake.

BTW, I love your blog.

Christmas Eve is 7 fish, with one being salted cod (baccala). I normally do flounder, shrimp fra diavlo, clams with white wine, garlic and lemon; clam chowder (New England-I know, not traditional, but our tradition), scungili and calamari salads.

Fruit, torrone, amaretti cookies, and espresso for dessert.

For Christmas dinner, it's ham and all the fixings. Of course that comes with appetizers, crudites, lasagna, and THEN the ham and sides, with a gazillion desserts. It's an all day thing, served in courses and you need to take a lot of walks around the block.