Menu

Red Velvet Recipes ~ Please Help Me Decide

Which Red Velvet Dessert?  

1. 1. Which Red Velvet Dessert?

• Red Velvet Cheesecake
    • Red Velvet Swirl Cheesecake Brownies
    • Red Velvet & Strawberry Trifle
    • The Usual Other

Dh's birthday is coming up and he loves Red Velvet. He also loves cheesecake. No, this won't be his birthday cake. This is a dessert for that week. I want to surprise him. I don't want anything that's overly complicated or time-consuming. A little bit of time - fine, but I don't want it to be a full-day affair if you KWIM. Obviously, I would like it to taste yummy. :D

Red Velvet Cheesecake - looks great and is the most time-consuming of the three. But really, it does look delish. :D I know that dh would love it.

Redvelvetcheesecake5.jpg

----

Red Velvet Swirl Cheesecake Brownies - much simpler and quicker - not as fancy as the one above

red%252520velvet%252520022_thumb%25255B2%25255D.jpg?imgmax=800

----

Red Velvet and Strawberry Trifle - he loves trifle - but this is not nearly as fancy, I think, as the other two. I mean, it has yogurt as one of the ingredients for crying out loud :lol:.

Red_Velvet_and_Strawberry_Trifle_recipe.jpg

----

Thank you so much. :)

Kashk I know, but what is this "Red Velvet" of which you speak?

Bill, you're making me giggle about the Kashk :smilielol5:. Me, I could do with some Kashk-e-Bademjoon right now. :D

f6600409187da7b05ec65bcf0fe8ca77.wix_mp

Well, so far, the Cheesecake is winning. :) We had a similar one, but I swear this one looks better, at Cheesecake Factory last year. So very, very good ...

I cannot vote, I have never eaten Red Velvet. I hadn't even heard of it before this thread. They all look yum though.

Melissa, Red Velvet tastes chocolate-y. :) The first time I tried it was just a few years ago. I think it's more common in the U.S.

Thank you all so much. :)

I love cheesecake and when we went to the Cheesecake Factory last month my friend got the red velvet. She loves it.

I am not a red velvet fan at all, I actually can't stand it, BUT, if I were to choose one it would be cheesecake.

I had never heard of it before moving to the South either.

I vote for the brownies. They look amazing. Plus I like a dessert I can grab as I walk by and nibble all day. :D And for a midweek surprise, not actually his birthday cake, the cake seems too complicated.

ETA - What is Kashk-e-Bademjoon? I can't tell from the picture.

ETA - What is Kashk-e-Bademjoon? I can't tell from the picture.

Badenjan (or Badenjoon) is "eggplant."

The dish Kashk-e-Badenjan is eggplant with kashk, and it is one of the treasures of Persian cuisine.

The off-whitish looking topping in the photo is kashk. Kashk is a very delicious dairy product that is sometimes said to be made for dried whey, and sometimes dried yoghurt (who knows the truth?). It is simply delicious. Hard to describe but kashk has a certain salty-funkiness reminiscent of parmesan cheese mixed with thick Greek yogurt.

Together kashk-e-badenjan is ambrosia.

I have never hear of this "Red Velvet" before this thread. Must be very exotic :D

Bill

Badenjan (or Badenjoon) is "eggplant."

The dish Kashk-e-Badenjan is eggplant with kashk, and it is one of the treasures of Persian cuisine.

The off-whitish looking topping in the photo is kashk. Kashk is a very delicious dairy product that is sometimes said to be made for dried whey, and sometimes dried yoghurt (who knows the truth?). It is simply delicious. Hard to describe but kashk has a certain salty-funkiness reminiscent of parmesan cheese mixed with thick Greek yogurt.

Together kashk-e-badenjan is ambrosia.

I have never hear of this "Red Velvet" before this thread. Must be very exotic :D

Bill

Sounds interesting. I haven't had an opportunity to try Persian food, but I'm definitely adding it to my to-do list.

Red velvet, on the other hand...mmmmmmm. I love a good moist red velvet cake with cream cheese frosting. It is wonderful!

Sounds interesting. I haven't had an opportunity to try Persian food, but I'm definitely adding it to my to-do list.

Trust me, Persian food is incredibly good!

Truly one of the great cuisines of the world. The food is not "spicy" (as in picante/hot) but is is deliciously well-spiced, and carries a complexity of flavors that are always in balance. Herbs, and nuts, and fruit (fresh and dried), and spices infuse the dishes. And delicious rice dishes are ever present.

It is a cuisine for Kings (and Queens).

Bill

Personally, I think the trifles look amazing, but if I were doing this for my husband or son (the red velvet lovers in my house) I would go with the cheesecake. As a matter of fact, I might do this for Thanksgiving. I have been trying to decide what to cook for the ones who do not like German Chocolate Cake, since I have had a request for that one.

I love red velvet - been making it before it was the the "in" thing to make. Just reading the options, I was thinking the trifle, but after seeing the pictures, definitely the cheesecake. Of course the purist in me would probably just make a red velvet cake with the traditional frosting, not the cream cheese frosting everyone seems to be using anymore.

I'm changing my vote from "Trifle" to Kashk-e-Bademjan.

:iagree: ... if only I had the ingredients.

If my wife served me a slice of that cheese-cake I'd get paranoid she was after my life-insurance. Looks like a heart-attack on a plate

:lol:

I love cheesecake and when we went to the Cheesecake Factory last month my friend got the red velvet. She loves it.

I am not a red velvet fan at all, I actually can't stand it, BUT, if I were to choose one it would be cheesecake.

I had never heard of it before moving to the South either.

Dawn, yes, dh and I shared the cheesecake together at Cheesecake Factory once. Loved it. Very rich, however.

We also once had Red Velvet Ice Cream at Maggie Moo's (similar to Cold Stone). Oh. My. Goodness ... :D

I vote for the brownies. They look amazing. Plus I like a dessert I can grab as I walk by and nibble all day. :D And for a midweek surprise, not actually his birthday cake, the cake seems too complicated.

Good point - grab and go would be nice, particularly since he'll already have a birthday cake. And yes, that cake is very complicated.

Bill described Kashk perfectly and Persian food is sooo good. You do need to pick the right place and order the right food. You can seldom go wrong with kebabs and rice. Kashk is more of an appetizer. Oh my, I'm craving some now. :lol:

Trust me, Persian food is incredibly good!

Truly one of the great cuisines of the world. The food is not "spicy" (as in picante/hot) but is is deliciously well-spiced, and carries a complexity of flavors that are always in balance. Herbs, and nuts, and fruit (fresh and dried), and spices infuse the dishes. And delicious rice dishes are ever present.

It is a cuisine for Kings (and Queens).

Bill

Bill, I couldn't agree more. I was raised on it and never fully appreciated it till I was older. I took it for granted then. Think we all did. And yes, not spicy at all. I can't handle hot at all.

Bill (who is not sure if red dye #3 is his idea of a good time)

Very good point. Usually something I try to avoid. Bad stuff anyway. :tongue_smilie:

Thank you all for your helpful replies. Dd and I are still undecided. May be the brownies or the trifle. Most likely the brownies.

We made the Red Velvet Swirl Brownies last night. They did require more than 30 minutes to cook. At the 30 minute mark, the pan was extremely jiggly. I turned it off and left the pan in the oven for 15 more minutes. It was still a little wet at that point, but it was good.

I used the additional 1/4 cup of sugar in the brownie batter that she recommended and used just 1 tsp of red food coloring instead of 1 tbs. It was plenty red with just 1 tsp.

It tastes fabulous, but when I make this recipe again (and I will make it again), I'll go ahead and set the timer for 35 minutes and then leave it in the oven with it turned off for another 10 minutes or so if it's not ready at that point.

I cannot vote, I have never eaten Red Velvet. I hadn't even heard of it before this thread.

:blink:

:svengo:

Oh! my!

Red Velvet Cake with cream cheese & pecan icing has to be one of the nearest things to Heaven that we have on this earth. Maybe it's a southern thing?

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcSAMsoywsTHrB1kLHg10K3nMVEzhvhOQ0ih_0lZKc7GUiUgdbfLFHA1HkZ9PQ

Edited by ereks mom

… Of course the purist in me would probably just make a red velvet cake with the traditional frosting, not the cream cheese frosting everyone seems to be using anymore.

I thought cream cheese was the traditional frosting - would anyone care to enlighten me?

So I went to a birthday party tonight and I had my very first taste of Red Velvet (in the form of a cupcake). Unfortunately it was kind of dry and had no special flavor beyond a regular cake-mix type taste, so I discretely binned it after having a bite.

But at least I'm a little more worldly :D

Bill

I'm in the other category. I would not wish red velvet on anyone. I find that it tastes like nothing but red food dye.

You learn something every day :D

Bill (who is not sure if red dye #3 is his idea of a good time)

I thought Red Velvet cake was buttermilk cake w/red dye?? We can't (and don't want to) eat dye anything..... so I made dd18's birthday cake tonight..... buttermilk cake w/cream cheese frosting.

She calls it her "white red velvet cake."

I thought Red Velvet cake was buttermilk cake w/red dye?? We can't (and don't want to) eat dye anything..... so I made dd18's birthday cake tonight..... buttermilk cake w/cream cheese frosting.

She calls it her "white red velvet cake."

According to wiki it was buttermilk cake with cocoa. The buttermilk reacted with the cocoa to make the red color. I say was because apparently today's cocoa is overly processed and cannot react as strongly with the buttermilk. Or something like that. You can, however, color your cake with beet juice instead of red dye and that is also supposed to make it yummier. Not a fan of beets, so I'll take their word for it. :tongue_smilie:

Have you tasted homemade? It is much better than store bought.

I'm another one who doesn't care for red velvet cake. I think for looks it is very striking, but for taste, if you close your eyes it doesn't taste any better than any other good cake that doesn't have all that red dye in it. I did try a homemade one just last week. It was one that some friends of mine raved about and remembered from their childhood Christmas so the aunt made it again for them and served it for dessert while I was visiting. Nothing special but the beautiful contrast of the red cake with the whitish frosting.

I'd go for the brownies!

I thought cream cheese was the traditional frosting - would anyone care to enlighten me?

Me too.

so I discretely binned it after having a bite.

But at least I'm a little more worldly

I can just imagine :smilielol5:.

A friend baked us some Red Velvet Cupcakes yesterday also. I haven't even touched them yet. Dh and dc love them. Ever since reading some of the comments here, I'm slowly getting turned off Red Velvet :lol:, which is not necessarily a bad thing. Dh still loves it, however. :)

I'm almost embarrassed to say that I did make these the other week for breakfast and everyone loved them. But now I'll only make this as a rare treat. Red dye = not good. :glare: I blame all this on pinterest and take no responsibility whatsoever. ;)

tumblr_l6ngbsmxL81qcf27qo1_400.jpg