Menu

Why would a cat have no voice?

I found a stray kitten this morning. She's about 6 months old, very affectionate, looks a little worse for the wear, but I'm baffled by the fact that she tries to mew, but no sound comes out. I thought at first she was hissing, but now I don't think so - she's actually trying to make sound, but there is none. She also makes a grinding sound sometimes (like she's chewing glass or something). She seems to be able to hear well.

Why would that be?

Maybe she's been mewing so long she can't any more. She needs you to take her in and give her love. :D

I kind of really want to. I'm just not convinced Hound #2 will be feeling anything other than hunger when he encounters her, though. Hound #1 will be curious and jumpy, but she's smart enough to know better because the resident house cat has trained her well. Hound #2 on the other hand...not so smart.

Maybe she's been mewing so long she can't any more. She needs you to take her in and give her love. :D

:iagree: We had one summer one of our cats spent a bunch of time outside and he mewed so much he lost his voice. Baby kitty might get it back if she has a soft place to fall and less stress in her life. Poor kitty!

Huh.

So, I'm convincing dh to bring her in from the garage where she is kenneled with a litter box, warm blanket, food and water, and put her into the office where we can close the door and keep the dogs out. It's getting cold outside already (there was frost on the ground when I found her huddled against a garage this morning). Even he likes her but won't admit it - she does the caterpillar curl like our other cat does so we can scratch her belly, and he's a bit of a sucker for that.;)

Wow - I am so surprised. I had never heard of a silent cat before now. I wonder if there is just something ill formed with the vocal cords or something. Mute cats. Wild.

I wonder if there are other kinds of animals like this. I guess there is no reason for there not to be.

Wow- that sounds like of nice. We have a Siamese that never.stops.meowing. He sounds like a crying child.

I know! We have a siamese mix and he's very vocal. I don't mind him so much because it's almost like having a conversation in two different languages. But the dogs...I was just sitting here wistfully thinking how nice it would be if they were mute...:)

Wow- that sounds like of nice. We have a Siamese that never.stops.meowing. He sounds like a crying child.

:iagree:My kitty that we had to rehome was a tortoiseshell/siamese mix and boy oh boy was she a talker. I wish she had been quiet at times. Especially at 6 am when she felt should be awake and letting her outside. Kitty running from my bed to the front door meowing as loud as possible is only cute the 1st time, not everymorning for 3 years lol

We had a dog that had puppies and the runt never made a sound. When we ran into her new owners a few months later they said she had only let a couple high pitched yips since they had taken her home. Cute little pup though. We almost kept her, but we already had two dogs and at the time that was plenty.