Menu

Are YOU studying Latin in order to teach you children?

ScoutTN

Are you beginning for the first time or are you reviewing what you learned in high school or college?

What texts are you using?

I am thinking about jumping in to this and wondering where to start? I'd love to hear from others!

I've had 5 years or so of Latin and am good at English grammar, so I think I can relearn fairly quickly.

I'm thinking of Wheelock's. But the Visual Latin guys live here and I might do their stuff first, because it looks like fun and a more gentle intro.

I think my DD will begin with SSL next year as a 7yo., so I have plenty of time. ;)

Edited by ScoutTN

I didn't take any Latin in school so dd and I began learning together. We started with ssl for pre-k/k, then moved to Prima Latina and now are working in LFCa. We're 7 chapters in to LFC. So far we are both learning and keeping up. SSL & Prima Latina were both more vocabulary based with little or no grammar (PL did reference parts of speech but no conjugation or declensions). So far I'm feeling comfortable with my ability to keep up and learn along with her. I will say the video instruction that comes with LFC has been helpful for me. We also do the chapter "chants" together daily. Not having a Latin background influenced my decision on curriculum to use. I wanted something with video instruction and that moved at a reasonable pace. I thought PL was a good curriculum and dd learned a lot of vocabulary and derivatives from it but we prefer the Classical Academic Press materials.

I recently started Latin Road for me. I wanted a serious study with plenty of hand holding since I have no Latin background. She is great and the DVDs have helped immensely. DD14 just started Latin in CC Challenge (Latin's not so Tough, which I dislike, but CC is switch to all Henle next year). I'm hoping to have a good Latin base before I start my younger.

Lisa

I used to speak Spanish well, now I speak it poorly but understand it fairly well. Latin is similar enough that I thought I would be OK with a few books, but that did not work well for me.

I am working through Latin Alive with their DVDs and the book and enjoying that, it is working well for me. Because I have the DVDs for that, I just need the books for Latin for Children for my daughter. I enjoy the oral component of the DVDs, I do much better when I have a good understanding of the pronunciation of a language.

I took latin in high school. I have Wheelock's on the shelf...guess I should dust it off...:lol: I remember enough to feel confident with teaching the basic basics. I absolutely need to buckle down and self-educate asap.

I have Lively Latin as well, though we haven't started it. I'm waiting for some milestones to be reached before delving in...and I will likely be tempted to purchase about 3 other latin currics before we begin...

I do teach mine some common Latin phrases. "Carpe diem" and "Tempus Fugit" and "Semper ubi sub ubi"(:tongue_smilie:)

That said, someone needs to kick my rear into gear...

So far my spanish background has served me well. We have worked through Prima Latina w/the audio pronunciation, and now I am teaching LCI to a co-op class. I did some reading from the library before I started last year, but don't remember which I read.

So far I am able to stay a chapter ahead and we are all learning together. So far so good. I haven't had my hands on First Form yet. I wills start reading that soon to see if it will be time to invest in the DVDs yet!

Me! I am learning Latin along with my 9 yo, using Henle and various internet resources that help me out. I took Latin for one (two?) years in high school but that was a looooong time ago and I remember nothing. He is much better than me at remembering declensions--I simply cannot get those to stick in my old brain!!

I am also using Wheelocks, more for vocab at this point. The pace of Henle is just right for us :) I hope to keep up for a couple more years, and then he'll probably switch to an online class.

My DD (11) is taking Latin 1 from Lukeion, and she uses Wheelock. So *I* study Wheelock one chapter ahead so that I can assist her with her daily studying. Then I sit back and bite my knuckles while she does her online homework and quizzes. ;) I didn't have Latin before now, but I do like it.

I am currently using Latin: An Intensive Course by Moreland and Fleischer. My oldest is in 1st, and we won't be starting until 3rd. We had gotten some Matin Latin volumes dirt cheap recently (don't think we'll be using it); I tried just going through that, but I was bored to tears.

I like this intense one because I can move quickly on my own in less time. It is thick, and there is no answer key (I have found some online though...)

I'm still pretty early in the book, so it remains to be seen how far I will progress in the next couple of years. Having had NO Latin, I wanted to be in a position to feel like I was far ahead of DS, since according to WTM, he will pass me pretty quickly if we start together.

My 3rd grade son and I are learning latin together. It's fun learning with him! I think he likes knowing that we're on the same playing field together with this subject. We used Prima Latina last year and this year we're doing Visual Latin. We're loving visual latin!

My dd and I are enjoying Visual Latin, too! It's challenging (we just started declensions!) but Mr. Thomas makes it fun. I've also ordered Lingua Latina,which he highly recommends.

I used to read Latin fluently in college - we used Wheelocks. I purchased a workbook for First Form Latin to work alongside the kids. I thought it would be a breeze and would come back naturally to me so I could help them. They are SOOOO much better at First Form than me - I have to study more at night to review the vocabulary, review the oral drills and translations.

They are sponges and my brain is old and tired! I'll try to keep up through the Form series and then sign them up for online classes, bc I'm quite sure I can't keep this up!

I haven't started yet but I'm very much looking forward to it!

I felt most aggrieved that Latin wasn't available when I was in school - apparently the school had canned it a few years before I started, then reintroduced it just before I left, so was in one of only a few years who didn't get the chance to do it. Hence the only Latin I remember is a few lines that we sang in the choir for church services (High Anglican).

Unsure as yet about what resources we'll use. The Moreland and Fleischer looks worth considering to me.

We love Lingua Latina by Hans Oerberg. It is all in the Latin, but graded in a way that the previous concepts build on each other. You learn vocabulary by reading and in context. The fact that you have 5 years of Latin make this totally doable, but it would be tough for someone with no Latin background. My 9 year old is working through it, very slowly.

I am studying Latin when I have time for it with school and work. I downloaded and printed out Latin For Beginners-Student Text by Benjamin Leonard D'Ooge (1909,1911 copyright) from Google, and am working my way through it. I liked it because there is a pronunciation guide in the front which is quite helpful. I already knew a good bit of Latin words and some Greek, but I'd rather be pronouncing them properly.

I should add that this particular vintage text comes with a Teacher's Manual. Also useful.

As an added resource, I work with an individual on Fridays who took Latin in high-school as an AP student, so she will check my pronunciation for me when I ask.

Those of you who have studied it already are so blessed! I never had that opportunity, not that I would have taken it at the time!

I have started Henle twice . . . life circumstances are not allowing it at this point, but I do LOVE Henle and know that one of these days I will pick it up again. It teaches very practically and I enjoy it.

I am encouraged to know others are also on this journey!

Our old-brains that don't memorize well can lament together! ;)

I am, sadly, with you on the old-brain thing.

My daughter can memorize things faster than me. I am currently faster than my son, but he is catching up and I expect he will pass me soon. They have both been able to beat me at concentration type games since they were 4.