Menu

Working full time and homeschooling

This will be me in the next few weeks. My husband owns a small business which has taken too many hits lately so this is a necessary step for our family. It is not what I would have chosen. I am more employable than my husband. It will be quite an adjustment for all of us. I have worked full time only about three years out of the past twenty. The rest of the time, I have worked part-time or not at all.

I've mostly dealt with the sadness at losing the "homeschooling lifestyle" that my kids and I have had. Putting them in school is not an option so I have put together a plan which involves my dad two days a week, a young adult lady who was homeschooled herself (whom I know from our co op) two days a week, and my husband. I will keep the parts of homeschooling which require more finesse and conceptual learning, such as math, logic and some of the language arts for my son with LD's.

I have two potential job opportunities. I expect to begin in the next few weeks. Either one is a typical 40 hour a week, Monday - Friday job.

I am looking for encouragement and support. Since this is the only viable option for us and I won't put them in school, this will be our new normal. I haven't told the kids yet (except for my teenager) and won't until I have accepted a job. I know that other homeschooling parents have done this and are doing it. I would love to hear from people who say this is possible. Hugs and prayers are always accepted, too.:001_smile:

:grouphug::grouphug:

I'm sorry you're losing the lifestyle you want for your kids and am happy you have the opportunity to get a job that allows some continuation of the things you want for your children.

Thank you. :grouphug:

I am focusing on the time I have had at home with them which many people do not get to have. It has been a wild ride, but I would not change it for anything.:001_smile:

Thank you all for the support and the practical suggestions.

I have a loose plan for what homeschooling will look like, and I think it is very workable. Three days a week my kids will be at home and two days will be spent at my dad's house. My husband will have Fridays, but I have delegated co op duty on Fridays to a close friend. As one poster stated, I think we will all be most comfortable with dh minimally involved in the homeschooling.

My boys have become a bit more independent this year with some of their schooling, which will help. The young lady who will be with them at the house two days a week is an absolute treasure. I have delegated some of the more straightforward and scripted homeschooling tasks to her. The parts that I will "own" can be done in the evenings and on weekends.

I think that I will struggle more than the kids with the change, but only time will tell on that. My main goal with all of this is to preserve the good life that my kids have.

My husband and I were initially not on the same page, but he has come to realize that it is the best option. He has been job searching, but whereas I can get a decent job fairly quickly in my field, it could take a very long time for him to get one. At this point, he will concentrate on growing his business, and I will be the main wage-earner for the family and the person who carries the health/dental insurance.

I appreciate hearing from people who have done this or are doing it. I think that working 3-4 days a week, while not quite full time, still involves a great deal of juggling. Thank you all, also, for the hugs, prayers and votes of confidence. I do think I can do this, both on a practical level and on an emotional one.:001_smile:

I work full time, but a non-traditional work schedule and I can take my kids with me. The best thing I do for our homeschooling is come up with a plan for the week and stick to it. The hardest part is the cooking and cleaning. No one in my house (my girls are too young and dh just doesn't do it) picks up the slack in those two areas. So, we eat out a lot and our house is a mess. Meal planning helps, when I do it. Cleaning, well it never was my strong suit, and we have to set up better boundries for that.

It can all be done. It might not be fun, but with the right attitude and support it is doable and not that unpleasant. Good luck!

It will be an adjustment, so give yourself, your helpers, and your kids some grace for a while.

But, it can be done and done well.

One thing about working full-time and only having a few hours with the kids is that you tend to make those hours really count.

I work more than full-time and work with my two kids in the evening. It's probably easier for me since my kids are at the k-2 levels, so nothing is very formal. But it is real teaching and does take organization, effort, and patience. Some days are better than others, but overall, it works.

I'm sorry that you have to make a choice you'd rather not have to make. Wishing you all the best.

Carol,

I am sending good thoughts your way. You sound very organized, so I'm sure you will be able to do it. Since you have homeschooled and worked part-time before, you are in a much better position for the change than somebody who starts out homeschooling while working ft.

Your plan sounds workable. It will be stressful, and the first weeks may have some bumps, but overall, I think you can make it work. Good luck.

I don't work full time, only three days a week, but as I am a single-mom during the week and full time cook and bottlewasher on the weekends, I can say that probably the most important thing you can do to preserve your sanity and health is to get your kids involved in the household operations, including school.

Older children can help younger ones with chores and with their school-work. Everyone needs to be more aware than ever of how taking care of their own areas helps the whole family. I am constantly amazed to see how much taller a young man stands when he becomes fully aware of how much his work matters to the rest of the family. And given the opportunity, children can get to be adept in the kitchen as well, while learning a skill that will come in handy in the future.

One caution: if you work full-time, and then expect to come home, teach the kids, do all the housework and cook the meal, you can do that, but you will end up burned-out, exhausted and sick. You need to be sure that the domestic area is taken care of to a certain extent, and that you take care of yourself by getting to bed at a good time, eating well, and taking time you need in the evenings to rest and recover.

:grouphug:

Carol,

I'm right here with you. I am job hunting right now. The current plan is part time retail through the holidays and then consider going back to a full time "career" job sometime next year.

Since "finding work" takes work, our home schooling has suffered this week. Thankfully, my older son had the PSAT on Wednesday so our goals for this week were very lite. Fall break for all the local school districts is also about this time, so I feel pretty comfortable letting lessons slide for a few weeks.

One of the stores I'm considering asked if I could work almost full time in December; I said , "yes." :001_huh: I don't know how I"ll plan home schooling. At least you have a plan! At this point a classroom school is not an option. That might eventually become an option.

One thing dh and I discussed last night.... classic literature and great books. Dh and I both agree that much of our "education" came from reading tons of library books. Both my boys can read well and do enjoy reading. Our plan might have to be computer math and classic literature discussion.:confused:

I wonder if there are websites for working moms who homeschool???? We do need support!!!!!

:grouphug:

It is encouraging to read about other people making this work...and how you all do it. Thank you!

It is an unconventional arrangement, but then, homeschooling in itself is unconventional. I kind of like "doing it differently". I know I will have hard days. I have hard days now. I gave up on "easy" or "convenient" a few miles back.

Thank you all again for the support. :grouphug: