Menu

Our New Addition is Here!! Pics!!

Finally, after all the months of waiting...

We have a chicken coop!

What, you thought I meant the baby or something?:D

Found it used on Kijiji. It's only a year old and came with 10 spectacular chickens.

Here's DH (in black shirt and jeans) trying to figure out how to get it off the trailer.

1011233.jpg

Here is what came with the shed. :D

mageshack.us/photo/my-images/839/1011228.jpg/]1011228.jpg[/url]

1011234z.jpg

1011235.jpg

Here's my favourite, a little Silkie rooster who's very tame.

1011237i.jpg

Our current 6 hens are normal red production layers so this sudden variety is pretty cool. :)

Edited by WishboneDawn

It's cracking me up that someone sold their coop with chickens included.

ETA: Congratulations ;).

:D They were selling their house and apparently chicken coops aren't a big selling feature. We were going to offer money just for the coop as we already have 6 layers and another 10 ordinary red hens coming from a friend of my parents who's getting out of the chicken thing but shucks, look at those chickens!

The other 10 are being dropped off tonight so our 8' by 12' coop will be just big enough for *gulp* 26 chickens.

Eggs anyone????

:D They were selling their house and apparently chicken coops aren't a big selling feature. We were going to offer money just for the coop as we already have 6 layers and another 10 ordinary red hens coming from a friend of my parents who's getting out of the chicken thing but shucks, look at those chickens!

The other 10 are being dropped off tonight so our 8' by 12' coop will be just big enough for *gulp* 26 chickens.

Eggs anyone????

I would love to do the chicken thing (so I am jealous), but live in an area where we have regular coyote and fox, and the occasional mountain lion and bear. I don't think I could do the "dead chicken" thing, so I think it's best for now if I don't do any chicken thing at all.

Dawn, would you mind describing how you got it onto the trailer? We're thinking of bringing our 9x12 shed when we move but can't imagine how to go about it.

Thanks!

I didn't go but here's what the guys did.

The owner pulled it around with his tractor to get it lined up with the trailer. My husband had borrowed some heavy jacks and used those to jack up the shed. They jacked up one end a bit, stuck some wood or cinder blocks under it, moved to the other end, jacked that up and blocked it. They went back and forth until it was higher then the trailer (about an hour and a half). Then they backed the trailer under it and, I think again using the jacks to hold it, removed a bit of the blocking until it was sitting on the trailer. They should have, but DIDN'T :glare:, strapped it over the top and around the ends to keep it from slipping.

They towed it here going very slowly and when they got it here reversed the process. And then one end slipped and fell, the door flew open, the chickens ran for it and they slowly levered the other end to the ground onto deck blocks. :D Good thing it's very well built!

DH said it wasn't particularly difficult, just long and labour intensive.

We did check with the provincial regulations on this. If the shed had been the size of yours we would have had to have had danger flags and a permit to haul it. Here's it's legal to tow something 8'6" wide and 13'6" long so we just got in under the limit.

Edited by WishboneDawn

I would love to do the chicken thing (so I am jealous), but live in an area where we have regular coyote and fox, and the occasional mountain lion and bear. I don't think I could do the "dead chicken" thing, so I think it's best for now if I don't do any chicken thing at all.

We have those things too (except for the mountain lions but we do have bobcats). We bought a used chain link dog run for a chicken runs that we'll attach to the side of the coop in the next few days and that will hopefully keep the predators out.

Ugh, I'm a duh-head, I should've written 6x12...so that's good, it can be done. Our friend has a trailer that'll fit it - Thanks for the detail!

We too have evil critters around and have a pen like Dawn's planning, and we just close the chix in the shed at night; haven't lost one yet, and we live in the woods.

Ugh, I'm a duh-head, I should've written 6x12...so that's good, it can be done. Our friend has a trailer that'll fit it - Thanks for the detail!

We too have evil critters around and have a pen like Dawn's planning, and we just close the chix in the shed at night; haven't lost one yet, and we live in the woods.

Just a note, you may want to get a couple of 8', 2"x6" boards then. Stick them under when you first jack it up and the block under the ends of those so that it's wide enough to back the trailer under.

I'd love to have chickens but we can't because we're in the city. :(

My grandma had them because her land was Grandfathered. Her place was always so wonderful for us kids...a little piece of country right here in the city. She had a huge garden and yard. One of her neighbors who was also Grandfathered still had a couple of Shetland Ponies that we could go visit. Loved it...loved feeding the chickens too. Such wonderful memories! I miss my grandma.:angelsad2:

How very clever of you! :D And congrats on your chickens.

Thanks! :D I actually am very excited about the coop and chickens. Getting animals was a big part of the reason why we bought this house. We've been scouring Kijiji for several months for the perfect shed/coop so this was fantastic for us.

Congratulations on your beautiful chicken coop!!!!

:party:

Those are the fancy chickens having a house warming party. :D

Now' date=' can you solve a mystery? How did your husband get it off the trailer? :lol:[/quote']

The reverse of how they got it on. Jacked it up a bit, built blocking under the four corners then pulled the trailer out. Then by lowering the jacks and removing the blocks they slowly got it down to the ground. Sort of, at one point one side slipped off the blocks and we learned how well built the shed really was.

The reverse of how they got it on. Jacked it up a bit, built blocking under the four corners then pulled the trailer out. Then by lowering the jacks and removing the blocks they slowly got it down to the ground. Sort of, at one point one side slipped off the blocks and we learned how well built the shed really was.

Thanks - that makes sense. :)