Menu

Recipe help : getting rid of Canola oil

I need help! I've been making this great waffle recipe for a while. It's full of good stuff, except for Canola oil (which I recently found out was awful stuff). Today I tried using virgin organic coconut oil instead. I warmed up the right amount of it and then poured it in with the milk and eggs - unfortunately as soon as it hit the cold milk and eggs, it turned hard again, leaving me with chunks of coconut oil, which never smoothed out again :(

I can't substitute apple sauce, because there already IS apple sauce in the recipe. What are my other alternatives?

In case anyone is curious about the recipe (it is fabulous), I'm linking it below:

http://allrecipes.com/Recipe/Whole-Grain-Waffles/Detail.aspx

We like grapeseed oil for cooking situations such as the one you describe. Coconut oil can be wonderful, but it's also somewhat limiting if you aren't fully prepped and set up to use it!

Stupid question perhaps, but how does one need to be fully prepped and set up to use Coconut oil? In the past, I've only ever used it for making popcorn in the whirley pop or for frying french toast in the pan, etc.

We like grapeseed oil for cooking situations such as the one you describe. Coconut oil can be wonderful, but it's also somewhat limiting if you aren't fully prepped and set up to use it!

:iagree: Grapeseed oil is even at some Costcos. Not mine of course.:glare:

Stupid question perhaps, but how does one need to be fully prepped and set up to use Coconut oil? In the past, I've only ever used it for making popcorn in the whirley pop or for frying french toast in the pan, etc.

Not stupid at all! Read below:

If I am baking with coconut oil I try to have my other ingredients room temperature so it doesnt turn to chunks. I have actually added it to things like cornbread and muffins after I mix everything in and that helps too.

Hth!

Coconut oil's consistency depends on the ambient temperature. If it comes into contact with ingredients from the refrigerator, it hardens. Just like it will liquify in your pantry during the summer, but solidify during the wintertime :)

Not stupid at all! Read below:

Coconut oil's consistency depends on the ambient temperature. If it comes into contact with ingredients from the refrigerator, it hardens. Just like it will liquify in your pantry during the summer, but solidify during the wintertime :)

Thank you! We lived in Hawaii for three years, and it was *never* hard there :tongue_smilie:

If you are wanting to change from canola oil for health reasons, grapeseed doesnt seem to be much better according to Weston A. Price:

http://www.westonaprice.org/know-your-fats/questions-and-misconceptions-on-fats-and-oils

The info about Grapeseed is about half way down or so.

Wow, thanks for that! You saved me buying grapeseed oil. So I guess extra light olive oil is the only alternative?

Does anyone else find it truly challenging to ensure your family is eating healthy?

Does anyone else find it truly challenging to ensure your family is eating healthy?

Nah, you just have to pick a path and stick to it. There is so much conflicting (and even ever-changing) advice out there. There is no one-size-fits-all. The challenge is to know your family, present and past. For mixed race people, such as my children, the challenge is to figure out which branch of the family tree you biologically favor. Evolutionary biology and socio-biology are my areas of study, so I have a definite bias :D. Decide your path and head down it, and don't look back. You'll drive yourself crazy otherwise!

I think little of Sally Fallon and her foundation. I don't discredit her followers, and those who have found better health through her brand of science ... but I don't think it's the answer for everyone. And as a lifelong veg*n, I can say very truthfully that while I do fine with this lifestyle I know firsthand that not everyone can, or will, or should even try.

If you eat a standard American diet, she's right that grapeseed oil may not be the best choice. I don't think the omega 6 issue is as big a deal to the rest of the world, and I know it isn't a problem for us because we eat an ethnic diet 90% of the time. And at Starbucks and Chipotle the remaining 10% of the time LOL.

We do a lot of high-temperature frying, and since grapeseed oil has a higher smoke point it's a good choice for us. IMO it's preferable/easier to balance the omega 6/3 in one's diet than it is to introduce carcinogens from a lower smoke point oil when using high heat (especially on a regular basis).

I think most inexpensive and readily available oils are refined, and even those high in omega 3 will be exposed to the same issues during processing. I believe if you search well enough and are willing to pay for it, you could find unrefined oil of any variety :)

Wow, thanks for that! You saved me buying grapeseed oil. So I guess extra light olive oil is the only alternative?

It's challenging, yes. That is for sure. Have you tried ghee? You can make your own and it's much much cheaper than buying it. I often use that for cooking if coconut oil doesn't work.

I also have on my list of things to try (but haven't done so yet): High oleic safflower oil & High oleic sunflower oil and Avocado oil.

I'm still learning about using less refined fats in my cooking. Good luck!

We switched to safflower from Canola when we discovered that absolutely nothing we did (including scouring powder and a metal scrubby) would get it off of our pans. And we're VICIOUS scrubbers.

Something is just WRONG with that.

(didn't research it or anything - just up and quit)

a

It's interesting to see all the opinions on oil. :) It has been on my mind lately because I've been reading about this topic, and I find myself still debating. I paid $$$ for a large tub of organic, unprocessed coconut oil, and got frustrated using it. It would stay lumpy in my batters, add a faint but distinguishable coconut flavor to the veggies I was stir-frying, etc. I don't like the taste of extra v olive oil, and apparently the light olive oil is processed. I love butter but it isn't good for everything. I am tempted to buy the cheap bottles of nasty canola at Aldi to save money...so I am still not sure what to use. I even saved a small cup of bacon drippings the other day, but it wouldn't go very nicely in our blueberry muffins this morning! I just got a new cookbook that suggests grapeseed oil, so now I am hearing bad things about it, too. What's a gal to do? :confused:

It's interesting to see all the opinions on oil. :) It has been on my mind lately because I've been reading about this topic, and I find myself still debating. I paid $$$ for a large tub of organic, unprocessed coconut oil, and got frustrated using it. It would stay lumpy in my batters, add a faint but distinguishable coconut flavor to the veggies I was stir-frying, etc. I don't like the taste of extra v olive oil, and apparently the light olive oil is processed. I love butter but it isn't good for everything. I am tempted to buy the cheap bottles of nasty canola at Aldi to save money...so I am still not sure what to use. I even saved a small cup of bacon drippings the other day, but it wouldn't go very nicely in our blueberry muffins this morning! I just got a new cookbook that suggests grapeseed oil, so now I am hearing bad things about it, too. What's a gal to do? :confused:

I use expeller pressed coconut oil, which doesn't have a coconut taste, in things where I don't want that flavor:

http://www.tropicaltraditions.com/expeller-pressed_coconut_oil.htm

It still will solidify when it gets cold, but in using it, seems to have a slightly lower melting point than the virgin coconut oil. But for things like muffins, I just beat the coconut oil with the sugar and then the eggs, like making cookies, before adding the other ingredients. I do that w/ any recipe that calls for a liquid vegetable oil, instead of adding the oil later.

That said there are a few recipes I use the coconut oil with even though it does clump up like you said, but when I cook/bake the item it doesn't matter. Did it affect the final product?

The final product tasted fine honestly, but while they were cooking, there was tons more steam and "snapping" which I attribute to the coconut oil melting. It was also more challenging mixing and spreading the batter evenly because it was so lumpy with the coconut oil.

I love the taste of EVOO, but I don't like it in certain things - for example, I find it a very savory taste, so definitely not in waffles, especially as we serve them with whipping cream and berries or pure maple syrup.

I use expeller pressed coconut oil, which doesn't have a coconut taste, in things where I don't want that flavor:

http://www.tropicaltraditions.com/expeller-pressed_coconut_oil.htm

It still will solidify when it gets cold, but in using it, seems to have a slightly lower melting point than the virgin coconut oil. But for things like muffins, I just beat the coconut oil with the sugar and then the eggs, like making cookies, before adding the other ingredients. I do that w/ any recipe that calls for a liquid vegetable oil, instead of adding the oil later.

Thanks for the link. I will check it out!

Safflower oil. It's interchangeable with canola.

:iagree: Safflower oil is what I normally use for baking or anywhere I need a more neutral flavor than olive oil, which I use whenever the olive-y flavor is welcome. I also have grapeseed oil in one of those spray oil cans that I use when I don't need a lot of oil.

I'd think the problem you were having with the coconut oil is that it solidifies at a much higher temperature than most other oils (more like butter).

Edited by matroyshka

My waffles are awesome made with melted butter. I agree with the previous poster about Weston Price though. (As in I don't choose to follow many of his recommendations). In my opinion, the best nutrition and health advice is to eat as many foods as you can as close to nature's provision as you can (which would rule out waffles on a regular basis ;), but we had them two nights ago as a special treat) and be as active as humanly possible.

I think that mimicking a native culture's diet without also mimicking their lifestyle (hiking everywhere you go?) is counter-intuitive.

Another option if you like that added flavor is bacon grease. It is not as hard and kind of creamy at room temp so that mixes in better. It depends if you want that flavor though.

:iagree:

I was going to suggest home-rendered lard. But- my favorite part of waffles (or pancakes) is not the waffle at all :lol: but rather, dipping my sausage into the syrup, so this flavor combo is a *GOOD* thing, imo.

I generally use melted coconut oil added at the end of mixing, but if I was cooking for waffle purists I'd probably use melted butter. I've had great success using a very nice (high grade, not rancid) EVOO for waffles and baking, too- I've even used it in brownies, cakes, etc and no one was the wiser.