Menu

Do I Have to Give Up My Dream of a WTM Education For My Kids?

So, it looks like I will probably be going back to work full-time. At this time, the plan is to continue homeschooling. Help with the homeschooling isn't going to be an option. I'm overwhelmed at the idea of trying to juggle everything. I guess I just need to be talked down from my panic. Any suggestions on scheduling? Any recommendations for WTM-like curricula that are fairly independent for a first and second grader? HELP!:confused:

So, it looks like I will probably be going back to work full-time. At this time, the plan is to continue homeschooling. Help with the homeschooling isn't going to be an option. I'm overwhelmed at the idea of trying to juggle everything. I guess I just need to be talked down from my panic. Any suggestions on scheduling? Any recommendations for WTM-like curricula that are fairly independent for a first and second grader? HELP!:confused:

I'm not trying to be discouraging but I am confused. How can you work full-time and homeschool without any help? Homeschooling a first and a second grader is a full-time job (or at very least, a sizable part-time job).

I'm thinking who is taking care of the 1st and 2nd grader while you work full-time? And is your thinking that they will be watching your kids, but they aren't going to be doing any "real" hsing?

I highly doubt there is anything like WTM that works mostly independently. I find the early grades highly intensive in face-to-face time because they can't read extensively yet and you're only just laying the earliest groundwork in math.

I do currently work part-time and I go to college also, but if I needed to be outside the home 40+ hours a week, I don't think I would homeschool at all, let alone Classical. I could not expect a first and second grader to be alert and ready to learn when I get home from work, even if it were logistically possible to come straight home and begin schoolwork, i.e, even if there wasn't laundry, food shopping, dinner, financial organization and a hundred other home-life tasks to accomplish. My schedule already feels very heavy just with the part-time work and college classes.

I don't mean to be discouraging. I just don't see a realistic way to homeschool at all, let alone follow lofty goals for it. :grouphug:

My hours would be 6:00 a.m. to 2:00 p.m. Grandma would be watching the kids while I'm working, but she's not interested in helping homeschool. I would work on lessons with the kids when I get home.

This is what I do, but with different hours. Grandma watches the kids. I have my dd take with her things that she can do on her own (independent reading, her math problems, anything workbookish). The teacher-intensive subjects, of course, I do with her (like AAS, CW, etc). Now, I'm not certain that I could give a *true* WTM education, but I still think I can give a *good* education. Some things I have done to make it easier are: We switched to Teaching Textbooks Math. It's almost independent, and I only need to field questions when she doesn't understand something the way it is explained in the book. I switched some of my lesser-priority subjects to less teacher-intensive curricula, i.e., instead of doing Trail Guide to the US like I wanted, we are using a geography workbook. I paid more than I wanted to for a science program, so that I could get Noeo and have everything planned out for me and all supplies included. Less teacher prep time. Sometimes we do things at odd times. Our literature read-aloud is usually done at bedtime.

My hours would be 6:00 a.m. to 2:00 p.m. Grandma would be watching the kids while I'm working, but she's not interested in helping homeschool. I would work on lessons with the kids when I get home.

Okay, I think that's doable. In that case I would encourage/allow the kids to sleep in later in the morning and stay up later at night, so that your school time would hit closer to their sweet spot. I'd aim for doing school from 3-6 and having dinner at 6:45. It's not going to leave you with a lot of free time, unfortunately. Another option would be to make Saturday or Sunday, or both, a school day. That gives you more time for things like projects.

For first and second, you can combine a lot: grammar, history, science, art, music, PE. Maybe they could take community or homeschool co-op classes for art or music and PE, and your mom could drive them - or they could do classes on Saturday.

If you have an independent reader, or if both of them are independent readers, they can read during the work day and check in with you about what they read when you come home. Then you could schedule, say, 30-40 minutes each for one-on-one math and 15-20 minutes each one-on-one for either phonics or spelling. That would give you an hour a workday for group subjects: 15 min grammar and 45 minutes rotating through history (2 days), science (2 days), and art or music (1 day). Read aloud from good literature at bedtime, to both of them at once. Do art or music, whichever you didn't get to in your group time rotation, on the weekend. Also use weekends for project time, when Dad is home to help out.

You'd have to be very organized, but I think it's quite possible.

I've not been in your situation, but I think it's very possible to still give a WTM-style education. All you *really* need for grades 1 and 2 are things like math, grammar, writing, spelling, how-to-read, printing. And I think you could probably do those skills lessons in 2-3 hours with both of your kids. As for all the content subjects such as history, science, and literature - how about sending some great reading in these areas to Grandma's house, and ask if she'll do some reading with them? Tell her that's all she has to do - read to them - no instructing, no getting them to narrate, nothing. You can take care of that stuff during your skills lessons.

I'd still go with programs such as some type of math you like, FLL, WWE, a spelling program you like, and your chosen method for printing and how-to-read.

Good luck - I think you do have possibilities to maintain and even excel!

Well, I think you CAN homeschool from 3-7. It will be tough and you may need to bench some of your goals, but you can do it.

If I were in your situation, I would school year round and all week. I would do math, grammar, spelling, and reading daily, combining subjects if possible, because the age of your kids are close. I would do science and history on the weekends or rotate them out as need be. I would utilize books on tape if your mom will plug it in for them during a "rest time".

I didn't think I could go back to work (I'm only part time) and still maintain school with a 3rd and 6th grade. I've had to make some concessions, but I'm still doing a majority of what I want and we're still thriving for the most part. We've had some bumps to overcome, but my boys can work more independently, especially the 6th grader.

I think with you, you still have to be hands on. But at their ages, I was working 2 hours with my boys. That is definitely doable.

I also eat while they are working in front of me and then while they are eating, I read. Multitasking in my friend.

Good luck! Where there is a will, there is a way!

Will grandma read to them? Could she read some living books each day, for history or science? Then let them listen to SOTW on audio? Maybe do some fun crafts with them? Oh, and check your library for educational DVDS for science. Mine has all the Mr. Wizard ones, plus all sorts of kids DVDs on dinosaurs, plants, water cycle, weather, etc etc. Then in the afternoon you do grammar, writing, math and phonics. If you school year round you could even rotate the subjects so you don't have to do them every day.

the other HUGE factor is I would make sure they get a nap. If you expect to do schoolwork in the afternoon they need to have a nap or they will be too tired to focus.

Thank you, everyone, so much for all of your helpful advice so far! I think I'm starting to feel a little bit better about it. These have been really helpful suggestions. And I'm :bigear: for anything anyone else has to add.

There is a chance grandma would be willing to read. I don't know how consistent she would be willing to be, but it's worth a shot. I will look into Teaching Textbooks, too. That would be really helpful if they could get math done while I'm at work. I think I'll need to find an alternative to AAS too. As much as I like it, I think I need to find something more workbook-y that isn't so teacher-intenstive.

I work full-time and HS my 1st grader. It's possible.

I've found that yes, there are many things that my ds can do independently. We will do a math lesson and work through a few problems out of each section together, then leave the rest for him to complete on his own later when I'm not home. We can do the oral part of a lesson from WWE or FLL and then leave the copywork portion in his folder for later. I'll sit down with him and guide him through reading a new picture book, then he can re-read the book without me to his little sister, the dog, to himself, to his grandmother or whoever will listen. I let him watch certain documentaries or shows on DVD or Netflix. I can leave an audiobook for him to listen to as he draws, plays with pattern blocks, builds with Legos, Snap Circuits, etc. He can find someone to play Monopoly, chess, cards, or another game with him. I've barely even begun to scratch the surface of the things he can do independently.

Even if she's not doing any actual homeschooling, would Grandma be willing to provide the kids with boards games, take them to the library, head over to the park on homeschool park day, give them play-doh and art supplies, visit museums and state parks, etc? Would she be willing to enforce a short period of time each day for the kids to sit down and do something independently, something that you've prepared in advance and sent with them? Would she play audiobooks throughout the day as the children play?

I think it's very doable, especially if the grandmother is able to provide an enriching environment for the children during the day.

Also, you might look into some Montessori ideas. Children are expected to work independently at Montessori schools and as such I've found that many of their methodologies also work well for our family.

This is more than do-able. Can I give you 1 piece of advice? Get to know your crock pot VERY well! Seriously. You can cook just about everything in there. That will GREATLY reduce your stress once you get home!!!

At the age your dc are you could/should be able to school them in 3ish hours if they can stay focused! Would Grandma alteast be willing to help with math? Read alouds?

Also- I would recommend you alternate what days you do history and science- so 1 week you will do history M, W, F and science T, Th, the next week you do Science M, W, F and history T, Th.

Also, look into Easy Grammar. Its made to be self teaching.

Edited by wy_kid_wrangler04

Will grandma read to them? Could she read some living books each day, for history or science? Then let them listen to SOTW on audio?

SOTW or MOH audio is a VERY good idea! Get it set up and ready the night before and show them how to listen to the right section!! That could also be done when your at work. Grandma might enjoy it also, ya never know ;)

For the op, do you expect to be working full-time on a permanent basis or is this just for a specific period of time? If working outside the home is in your future for good then I'm sure you already realize that you will have to adjust the way of doing this as the children get older.

Have you ever considered finding work that you can do at home? This may take some time, but I know many hs moms here in the hive do this and some make some really good money. I don't know if this interests you or not, but one website to check might be ratracerebellion.com. There's a lot of really great information out there through books and websites for the growing number of people that are opting to work from home. This would cut your time away from the kids down significantly, especially if you're looking at having a long commute.

Blessings to you as you work out what needs to be done. I want to encourage you not to give up your goal and commitment to provide your children with a quality education at home.

Lucinda

Just to throw a private school option your way, I've looked at Cedar Tree for a long time... I've even thought of driving there when my son is in Highschool, if I can't have something I want for him here. There's also the thought of seeing if there are "part time" classical schools there... or University Model schools.... Like a half and half mixture. Some co-ops allow you to pay more and not participate... ;)

I homeschool and have worked from home full time for almost 6 years.

Thing I have found helpful:

Audio books...librivox, SOTW, latina christiana, scripture songs, math facts , lyrical life science, folk songs etc. I put them on my iPod and make a playlist.

Coloring books and maps to label that go with SOTW or science.

Documentaries through netflix or streaming.

File folder with daily work sheets

Chore lists...

Puzzles, word searches, educational cd-rom games like magic school bus and spelling island, typing, rosetta stone language programs. Online games like Starfall phonics or rocket math on the iPad.

Lots of paper, glue sticks, colored pencils for spontaneous crafts.

In try to make our home a learning environment with lots for little minds to stay occupied without watching television.

My kids have a pretty late bedtime so I can work early in the am. My kids sleep until about 9:30. Dd makes all of them breakfast, and then they care of the dogs etc. I work until 10 am and then school from 10-2. I need to be available to answer phones or deal with work related issues during the day. We also school in the evenings many days, especially read alouds which happen after dinner. You can leave assignments for them to do independently based on the night before's reading.

Use a curriculum that is laid out for you....yet not too teacher intensive. I am using HOD with my little boys and Sonlight with my dd. Dd is older than your kids, but my boys are close in age. HOD is all laid out. I open the book...find out where we are...and go. I use some of those books as our evening read aloud.

It isn't easy, but it is doable. We are betting into our groove this year and school seems to be going well.

Good luck,

Faithe

Just to throw a private school option your way, I've looked at Cedar Tree for a long time... I've even thought of driving there when my son is in Highschool, if I can't have something I want for him here. There's also the thought of seeing if there are "part time" classical schools there... or University Model schools.... Like a half and half mixture. Some co-ops allow you to pay more and not participate... ;)

Just to save you some time, the co-ops in the area do not allow for extra money paid = drop-off situation. You could do something like that through Home Choice Academy or HomeLink in BG, but you are still required to spend a certain amount of time in the school each month as a volunteer.

I think your situation is totally doable but I would also offer this advice. Give yourself an hour when you get home to decompress. The kids will probably be all over you but set it up right away that mom needs a little down-time. Working full time outside the home AND homeschooling is going to be difficult but you can set things up now that will go a long way toward success. Like a pp said, get to know your crock pot too. I admire you for being dedicated enough to give it a shot. :grouphug:

Audio books...librivox, SOTW, latina christiana, scripture songs, math facts , lyrical life science, folk songs etc. I put them on my iPod and make a playlist.

Oh my gosh, yes! I can't believe I forgot to mention audio books!

I got interrupted last night when I was posting and meant to come back to add more. A big thing to me is to be flexible. If you don't get everything done during the week, are you okay with finishing a few things up on the weekend? Can you dictate spelling words while you cook dinner? Does Grandma take them to the park (PE) or bake cookies with them (home ec)?

I homeschool and have worked from home full time for almost 6 years.

Thing I have found helpful:

Coloring books and maps to label that go with SOTW or science.

Documentaries through netflix or streaming.

File folder with daily work sheets

Chore lists...

Puzzles, word searches, educational cd-rom games like magic school bus and spelling island, typing, rosetta stone language programs. Online games like Starfall phonics or rocket math on the iPad.

Lots of paper, glue sticks, colored pencils for spontaneous crafts.

In try to make our home a learning environment with lots for little minds to stay occupied without watching television.

My kids have a pretty late bedtime so I can work early in the am. My kids sleep until about 9:30. Dd makes all of them breakfast, and then they care of the dogs etc. I work until 10 am and then school from 10-2. I need to be available to answer phones or deal with work related issues during the day. We also school in the evenings many days, especially read alouds which happen after dinner. You can leave assignments for them to do independently based on the night before's reading.

Use a curriculum that is laid out for you....yet not too teacher intensive. I am using HOD with my little boys and Sonlight with my dd. Dd is older than your kids, but my boys are close in age. HOD is all laid out. I open the book...find out where we are...and go. I use some of those books as our evening read aloud.

It isn't easy, but it is doable. We are betting into our groove this year and school seems to be going well.

Good luck,

Faithe

This is a particularly awesome list. Can you point me in the right direction for coloring books and maps that go with SOTW and science?

Thank you again, everyone.

Just to save you some time, the co-ops in the area do not allow for extra money paid = drop-off situation. You could do something like that through Home Choice Academy or HomeLink in BG, but you are still required to spend a certain amount of time in the school each month as a volunteer.

I think your situation is totally doable but I would also offer this advice. Give yourself an hour when you get home to decompress. The kids will probably be all over you but set it up right away that mom needs a little down-time. Working full time outside the home AND homeschooling is going to be difficult but you can set things up now that will go a long way toward success. Like a pp said, get to know your crock pot too. I admire you for being dedicated enough to give it a shot. :grouphug:

Yes. That is the disappointing thing about the co-ops around here. I really wanted to do the co-op through First Class (I'm friends with one of the organizers), but I have a three-year-old and couldn't commit the time to volunteer.

Can you point me in the right direction for coloring books and maps that go with SOTW and science?

For SOTW the colouring pages and maps are in the activity guide.

Many Sonlight and SOTW AG recommended books are available on audio from audible.com.