Menu

Any creative ideas for a room divider?

My 3 girls share a room and my 3 boys share a room. Dd13 is requesting a room divider. Dd12 likes to read herself to sleep at night, and dd13 likes it dark. I think she'd like to have her own little nook as well that was clearly off limits to dd5. It doesn't have to be fully enclosed. I thought about curtains, but the ceiling slants, so I'm not sure that would work?? Also, it has to be really inexpensive. Any ideas or pictures that might inspire me?

My brothers used their dressers, put side to side, as room dividers. One face one's side, the other faced the other's ... I think they put posters on the back of each other's dressers.

It seems like PVC pipe would be easy enough to form into frames that could be covered with fabric.

We're starting to run into some issues like this with out 12 and 6 year old daughters. We might split them to different rooms, but I'm more in favor of a compromise like this.

When I was that age, my parents made me a PVC "cube" that reached from my (top bunk) bed to the ceiling, and my mom hung curtains (repurposed flat sheets) from the ceiling to make my own little space.

My parents told my sisters that that was *MY* space, and then followed through pretty well making the youngers leave me alone.

It wasn't my Plan A, but - I knew my parents cared, and - it worked.

I've since made a few creations out of PVC pipe myself, and it is CHEAP-CHEAP! and VERY easy to use (I am not mechanically inclined). It would be pretty easy to follow a slanting roofline, too, and - doesn't put permanent holes in the walls / ceilings.

I worry about bookshelves if you have anyone small enough to try to climb them, since they wouldn't be anchored to a wall.

Love the PVC cube idea suggested by another poster. I was thinking a curtain, kind of like the ones hanging from a track on the ceiling that you see around hospital beds.

• 5 months later...

I am going in the middle of dividing my boys room up. I am using ceiling hooks, they sell real decorative ones if that is an issue for them. I am then hanging tie curtains, I haven't found them yet. Worse comes to worse I will add ties myself. My boys live int he attic room with slanted ceilings and it makes it difficult, but I know it will work.

My 3 girls share a room and my 3 boys share a room. Dd13 is requesting a room divider. Dd12 likes to read herself to sleep at night, and dd13 likes it dark. I think she'd like to have her own little nook as well that was clearly off limits to dd5. It doesn't have to be fully enclosed. I thought about curtains, but the ceiling slants, so I'm not sure that would work?? Also, it has to be really inexpensive. Any ideas or pictures that might inspire me?

Perhaps you could gert creative and paint on PDF boards and make your own room dividers, with your children. Its a great way to some art and help sort out this room situation, also by doing it with the children they will feel more involved with having the room divided instead of suddenly seeing the room all seperate.

These are some great sites for inspiration on getting you started, I have used them before for arts and crafts with the childrena dn you can get great discounts too. www.enchantedLearning is perfect for getting those creatiev juices pumping with lots of vimages and categories you will find whatever you need! For a good discount deal try www.groupon.ie with some good ideas for canvases you could put up on the dividers! And www.amazingmoms.com is super for purhasing all your needs!

I hope this is of help! Good luck!

:grouphug: :grouphug:

• 1 month later...
Guest cowgirl24

I have two boys that share a room and they have been asking for their own space. I have just started doing research on room dividers and came across this website http://room-dividers-now.com has anyone heard or done business with them. And is adding a room divider to their bedroom a good or bad idea? Thanks for the time

Do they have bunk beds? My aunt and uncle had a boy and a girl in a 2 bedroom small house. They took the bunk beds, put them in the middle of the room and then closed off the top on one side and the bottom on the other. So from the one side it looked like a loft bed that was built into the wall and the other it looked like a nook that was built into the wall.

Ikea sells a bookshelf that is 6 feet long and 6 feet high. It has all the cubes that you could use for a tremendous amount of storage. In its description, it mentions being used as a room divider. Perhaps you split the room in half with the bookshelf and then hang curtains in front for privacy.

The bookshelf is $199. It assembles very easily. My daughter has had it in her room for 4 years and it has held up perfectly.

http://www.ikea.com/us/en/catalog/products/00208646/

If you have the need, you can attach a desk. Ikea calls it a work station. It has a very large work surface and it is very sturdy. The additional desk is $119. http://www.ikea.com/us/en/catalog/products/S19861339/

Same as previous poster, we used the EXPEDIT shelving from Ikea. The three kids shared one really large room, the master bedroom, for a couple years. We got the shelves thinking we'd put them together with a painted plywood between and didn't love it, so then we lined them up, for a 12 foot wall. The kids could see each other's things, but on lower shelves we used the fabric drawer type things, from Target and W-M, or baskets, and on taller shelves they just respected that it was not their side. They couldn't see thru too easily, you had to be peeking, to do that, really. The two older kids used these, and the youngest has his own low, small shelf. I gave one of them away, and regretted it, but the friend really needed something, with seven kids. She lets each kid have three cubbies apiece, in her front hallway and they really enjoy it.

To address the issue of really inexpensive: if you sew the curtains with the slant, even using rope as the rods, with eyes to loop the rope thru, find heavy fabric, from upholstery place, dollar bin or other, then use back to back furniture to define the spaces, rather than rely on the kids not pushing the curtains around? (Mine would tear them out of the ceiling arguing over whose inch was whose.)

My college son attached a piece of finished plywood, painted cool color, to the back of anold kitchen wall cabinet (he calls a "bar", ha!) and pushed up against his bed, to make a room dividing type feeling. I loved it but I think he took it down, when he realized the joys of laying in bed and reaching into his fridge. Yep.

If you use any plywood or lumber to make heavy dividers, I think I'd stabilize the "walls" with dressers, heads of beds, maybe.

What OPs have said

- Bookcase/armoires

- Curtains

Other ideas (some are crazy lol):

-Kitchen Towel Tubes (yes, I have seen dividers made out of a mount of towel tubes)

- Old doors (similar to asia style room dividers, connect doors with swivel brackets)

- Large Maps hung from ceiling

- Rope divider. Hang rope from ceiling to floor with a bit of room between each rope lot, then weave other rope or fabric through it to make a weave wall divider.

- Simple frame (possibly with wheels) and just attach fabric across frame at top at bottom to form a more canvas styled divider

- cardboard. Use large cardboard box, open and flatten, they can deocrate how they want.

- Use old pallets

- Plants faux or real, create a jungle of plants between then tall/short, ones haing from ceiling.

Basically heres what you have to decide:

- Whether is full-block out or partial block out

-How big the room is

- How much you want to partition (completely cut it in half, or just a couple of feet at the heads of their beds etC)

- Whether you want the partition to be easily moved back and forth throughout the day, or removable if need be, but stays where it is, or more permanent type solution

- What sort of weight your ceilings can take

- Your budget

- Amount of time you have to do it in.

These are all things that create a difference. For example if you said, full blockout, full partition, moneys not really important, large room, ceiling can't take too much weight, and its not urgent, can be done slowly - Then I would suggest something like a complete two sided bookshelf that completely partitions the room with a "secret" bookshelf door in the middle.. But thats not going to be good if someone is on a budget, its not a big room, and you don't want something that permanent. Then I would suggest something like the curtain, simple frame or jungle plants depending upon your needs.

Well, since this thread was originally posted in September of last year, I'm pretty sure Chickenpatty has found a solution by now. ;) :D

But since it got bumped back to Page 1 anyway, maybe she'll post and let us know what she ended up using. :tongue_smilie: