Menu

Grammar-Land is so FUN and FREE!

I'm sure this is old news to many, but I wanted to post this for the newbies or those who may have missed it. Grammar-Land by M.L. Nesbitt was written in 1878 and is def. NOT dull or boring. GL would make a great Grammar intro or supplement. I would somewhat liken it to Life of Fred, but for Grammar. This blogger also put together worksheets for Grammar-Land and has some fun grammar links on her site. http://dontneednoeducation.blogspot.com/2009/10/grammar-land.html

Edited by JENinOR
fixing link

It is a very fun old grammar book. We thoroughly enjoyed it.

One slight oddity it it's old enough to teach "thee" as the second person singular subjective pronoun. Those whose children like instruction through funny stories should check it out. Great fun.

MCT users (or future users) will likely find Grammar-land on the same "wave-length, but will note that Grammar-land teaches 9 Parts of Speech (Articles are a category of their own) while MCT teaches that Articles are a subset of Adjectives. Not a big deal.

Bill

It is a very fun old grammar book. We thoroughly enjoyed it.

One slight oddity it it's old enough to teach "thee" as the second person singular subjective pronoun. Those whose children like instruction through funny stories should check it out. Great fun.

MCT users (or future users) will likely find Grammar-land on the same "wave-length, but will note that Grammar-land teaches 9 Parts of Speech (Articles are a category of their own) while MCT teaches that Articles are a subset of Adjectives. Not a big deal.

Bill

Spy Car, It was an old post of yours in which you recommended GL that spurred me to check it out. So, thank you for the rec! We're really enjoying it.

I had trouble with your link. It keep leading me to facebook. But I'm glad I took the trouble to get it working since it looks very neat.

gspot.com/2009/10/grammar-land.html

Fixed it. Thanks!

Spy Car, It was an old post of yours in which you recommended GL that spurred me to check it out. So, thank you for the rec! We're really enjoying it.

I'm glad you are enjoying it. Not that it and MCT are exactly the same, but if you like Grammar-land you would very likely love MCT (other than the cost factor). Isn't it grand when the kids enjoy a subject than too often inspires dread?

Bill

• 2 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

Did anyone else think the very end of Grammar Land was disappointing? I mean really, they had to kill the baby squirrel by accident? My 3 girls are sensitive and they were dismayed to hear this. I had enjoyed this fun story up until this point. :001_huh: At least it's at the VERY end, so next time I'll just cut the audio off early.

Did anyone else think the very end of Grammar Land was disappointing? I mean really, they had to kill the baby squirrel by accident? My 3 girls are sensitive and they were dismayed to hear this. I had enjoyed this fun story up until this point. :001_huh: At least it's at the VERY end, so next time I'll just cut the audio off early.

The very end, as in the last chapter? I'll want to take a look for that before we reach it.

We just started this today. It is awesome! We decided that it is kind of a combination of The Phantom Tollbooth and Alice in Wonderland. I think this will be a perfect prelude to MCT Towns, which we plan to start in August after finishing up with FLL & WWE. And THANK YOU to Jessica for sharing those worksheets! That's about the level of workbook-ness that works for my DD.