Menu

How much would you pay to shop at a used curriculum sale?

How much would you pay to shop at a used curriculum sale?  

1. 1. How much would you pay to shop at a used curriculum sale?

• Nothing! "Free" is my middle name!
    • $1-$3. Gotta save my cash for all those great deals!
    • $4-$5. Hey, Abe Lincoln was homeschooled, wasn't he?
    • $6 or more. If it were a truly ginormous sale, it would be totally worth it.

I'm testing the waters for hosting a homeschool swap meet next spring. I'm doing a little market research here. So jump in and have some fun!

ETA: If it helps the imagination, this would be for a rather large sale that drew sellers from a large geographical area -- bigger than a typical homeschool group sale. Possibly as many as 100 sellers.

Edited by FlockOfSillies

If it was really big and I thought I would be able to find some of what I was looking for, then I would be willing to pay up to $5. But, it is a gamble. If I pay $5 and only find 1 thing, and I save $5 on it by buying it used, then it was just a waste of time and I could have just bought it online. KWIM? So, in all I would be a little leery if I had to pay to shop. If it was $1 or $2 I would be fine with it.

But, just curious, if this would just be a big gathering of hschoolers and their used stuff, why charge at all? Is it to rent out a space? If so, then I would think the thing to do would be to divide the cost among the sellers.

I wouldn't pay to shop either. I have no way of knowing if I'll find anything I need at all. I agree that the sellers should be responsible for covering fees if any are needed. Our local HS group charges a % of the total sales for each seller to cover the cost of the venue.

I have never paid to shop a consignment or tag/rummage sale but I have paid to sell at them, either a flat fee to buy a table/booth or a percentage of each sale.

I have been asked for a donation to come into a sale and been glad to do that but usually the donation is going to a school or charity or some specific cause and is optional.

I voted free. But if it was a truly huge sale then I would consider paying - even up to $5 or $6. However, that's the kind of thing where the first year... no way. It has to be an established thing that people have told me is worth it. Now, how you get it to that level, I'm not sure.

Been to these types of things in three different states...a few of them were very large, event hall types of sales.

Never once had to pay to GET IN. Would not go to that.

It's not like the curriculum fair at the conventions, where you have an advance list of what vendors will be there so perhaps you pay to just get into the curriculum fair because you know what you need will be there.

I have been to many used curriculum events where I do not purchase a single thing. Prices are not good enough, I know I can find better online, or they just don't have what I am wanting.

I just would not go to one that cost to get in.